• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

krae_man

In a world class city, that'd make sense. Not in Toronto though.

I just secured a new apartment. I can finally get my own internet. Is TekSavvy still considered the bomb diggity dot com? I already have a modem supported by TS -- I bought it for my current apartment but my LL was very resolute about us just using his internet that was included in the lease.

Depending on what speed tier you want, you may need a new modem.

I know for cable the faster tiers require a stupid $200 all in one router/modem thing with new protocols.

In a world class city, that'd make sense. Not in Toronto though.

I just secured a new apartment. I can finally get my own internet. Is TekSavvy still considered the bomb diggity dot com? I already have a modem supported by TS -- I bought it for my current apartment but my LL was very resolute about us just using his internet that was included in the lease.

Recommend Start.ca (start communications). Awesome customer service, my old man signed up on his own and found it super easy.

dluu13

Signing up for french and Chinese language classes...

Mandarin or Cantonese ?
Learn one or the other and you'll be able to communicate by writing. Also they are somehow similar in spoken language too. Once you know both well enough you will see.
Mandarin is easier to learn to speak, and how you write is how you speak. In Cantonese, nobody writes the way they speak and nobody speaks how they write so it can be a bit confusing.

The reason I say Mandarin is easier to learn to speak is because it has fewer tones than Cantonese.
I think the biggest stumbling block for somebody learning to speak Chinese is the concept of tones. You can imagine it to be a bit like singing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam?

I have two season pass codes if you want em.
Sure. Thanks!

Signing up for french and Chinese language classes...

Mandarin or Cantonese ?
Mandarin if you want to do it for business. Cantonese just avoid.
Learn one or the other and you'll be able to communicate by writing. Also they are somehow similar in spoken language too. Once you know both well enough you will see.
Mandarin is easier to learn to speak, and how you write is how you speak. In Cantonese, nobody writes the way they speak and nobody speaks how they write so it can be a bit confusing.

The reason I say Mandarin is easier to learn to speak is because it has fewer tones than Cantonese.
I think the biggest stumbling block for somebody learning to speak Chinese is the concept of tones. You can imagine it to be a bit like singing.
Let's be honest, Cantonese is seeing less and less usage nowadays. Even a lot of Hongers are going towards Mandarin nowadays.

I would've said Cantonese decades ago, but the usage, culture, and usefulness isn't what it used to be.

If you're bored, Krafty, learn a coding language.

dluu13

Sure. Thanks!

Mandarin if you want to do it for business. Cantonese just avoid.

Let's be honest, Cantonese is seeing less and less usage nowadays. Even a lot of Hongers are going towards Mandarin nowadays.

I would've said Cantonese decades ago, but the usage, culture, and usefulness isn't what it used to be.

If you're bored, Krafty, learn a coding language.

Haha, I was gonna say that if I was going to make a suggestion from my heart it would be Cantonese, but from my brain it would be Mandarin.

So much for today's plans

Grubs somehow made a feast out of our front lawn, then moved onto patches of the backyard. It was hard to tell at first, because it was so hot and sunny that it just looked as if the grass was being killed by the sun.

We got two huge piles of topsoil yesterday and my Dad/a neighbour moved and raked a pile earlier. Then it rained for a bit, but not hard. He had breakfast, then we went out, but only moments later it started to pour. Now it's all mucky.

The pile of dirt is under a tarp so it's fine.

Today was perfect for it, though, because I don't have any work to do and have to wait 11 hours for NHL 17 to download. (I hate my Internet.)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
First thing I see in that video is a guy with a grinder that's missing the handle and not wearing a face shield. BRB, contacting the Ministry of Labour.

Still out on vacation and just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. Your city is pretty awesome! (minus getting caught in that storm a few days ago)

Wish i knew ahead of time about the TIFF but can't be helped.

Eleuin

Until recently the road leading into the bus loop wasn't even done yet, buses had to go allll the way around campus for every route

jokkir

Here's some gifs Google Photos made for me after a burst of shots while I was at TIFF

Chris Pratt bro-ing someone in the crowd
dQfPzO9.gif

Denzel Washington stealing a baby:
PTsjIwx.gif

Leonardo DiCaprio walking with his posse
3dbG9im.gif

Pharrell being late for his concert
G9IwDdJ.gif

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Still out on vacation and just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. Your city is pretty awesome! (minus getting caught in that storm a few days ago)

Wish i knew ahead of time about the TIFF but can't be helped.

You're welcome and glad you're enjoying yourself.

Ah, the board meeting. That video was taken right by where I work. We see them every year.

The only thing that made me nervous this time was a bunch of people getting up on the train tracks to watch from overhead. Somebody died up there a couple years ago (not during the board meeting, just some random incident) so anybody going up there puts me on edge.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ. Nearly got hit by a car that made a left as I was crossing the street. No signalling, no stopping, and just drove right through. I stopped right in the middle of crossing as she breezed by because it's ok because she apologized as she was driving through, which gives her right of way. The fuck is wrong with people?!

Lexxism

Jesus Christ. Nearly got hit by a car that made a left as I was crossing the street. No signalling, no stopping, and just drove right through. I stopped right in the middle of crossing as she breezed by because it's ok because she apologized as she was driving through, which gives her right of way. The fuck is wrong with people?!
It seems like nothing comes good whenever you are outside.

dluu13

I saw three of those guys going down Dundas on Saturday. They were yelling and being obnoxious, but I didn't know they were part of this meetup.

dluu13

Something is up with my body. It was 12 degrees out this morning and I was sweating walking to work.

If you were walking in the sun that'll do it. I know that in the winter, they measure the temperature in the shade so even if it's reporting -15 C, you don't actually feel so cold if you are walking in the sun.

Regardless of the air temperature, the sun is still a 5000 degree ball of fire shooting radiation at you so you'll feel that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If you were walking in the sun that'll do it. I know that in the winter, they measure the temperature in the shade so even if it's reporting -15 C, you don't actually feel so cold if you are walking in the sun.

Regardless of the air temperature, the sun is still a 5000 degree ball of fire shooting radiation at you so you'll feel that.
Hey! Don't you talk shit about my Sun! >=[

Reminder that the meet up is coming up very soon!
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1274370

Top Bottom