• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

Monocle

Played one hour so far. Not really feeling it. I started on Commander difficulty but the first boss fight was too much and his health bar was going down so slowly.
It feels too much like Bayonetta with a Transformers skin. Bayonetta combat system is 6 years old now and this is the 4th game with a very similar feel. If Platinum doesn't evolve its core gameplay combat, I'm probably going to skip the next one. Shame as the controls are spot on as usual but I've done all this already :(
Why fix what isn't broken? Between vehicle attacks, loot, tech, and the multiple characters, Devastation is different enough that I don't feel like it's a copy & paste job.

What does it matter how old the combat system is, anyway? DMC3 is even older and its gameplay is still brilliant.

Arttemis

I do hope the rumors of sequels are true, because a few of the interface flaws and repetitive areas getting addressed would turn this experience into a more consistently incredibly package.

I also wish itemization wasn't so extremely exponential. Weapons don't need to scale literally 100 times in power over their base value!

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, parts of his complaints are legitimate. The only real challenge the first chapter has for you on commander is tedium. The loot system is too important to the game, and so you can easily get stuck on a long ass slog of a fight with Devastator with your default weapons plinking away and barely doing any damage.

Personally not a fan of the loot system really, bad luck with gear can make cool moments on higher difficulties into total chores.

Jintor

yeah the loot system is okaaaaaaaaaay but I'm not really a big fan. I prefer Platinum's purer combat experiences where I don't have to worry about trying to find a sick weapon and then do a bunch of crafting and worry about proccing on random rolls; instead I just have to learn the intricacies of a smaller subset of highly polished weapons that will always do right by me if I use them correctly.

Jintor

I don't like it either but I respect the idea.. I'm guessing the toys or show used to interchange weapons or it was a big part of each character?

nah not really... transformer's deal always was in killing off characters or giving them new forms to sell more toys.

the loot system just seems to be in because platinum wanted to play around with one

Jintor

Is the loot system more important on Commander difficulty?

The problem is that part of difficulties is the amount of health enemies have, so getting a weapon that can deal a good amount of damage is actually fairly important for easing up the difficulty the higher level you get, since you might be real good at dodging but being real good at dodging is easier for the 1 minute it takes for you to deal X damage as opposed to the 5 minutes it might take you with some other weapon to deal the same amount of damage.

Also, enemies begin to auto-parry more at higher difficulties and it's important to get weapons that proc various effects to disrupt their parries.

KingV

The problem is that part of difficulties is the amount of health enemies have, so getting a weapon that can deal a good amount of damage is actually fairly important for easing up the difficulty the higher level you get, since you might be real good at dodging but being real good at dodging is easier for the 1 minute it takes for you to deal X damage as opposed to the 5 minutes it might take you with some other weapon to deal the same amount of damage.

Also, enemies begin to auto-parry more at higher difficulties and it's important to get weapons that proc various effects to disrupt their parries.

Is it just elemental damage that interrupts parries? My other beef with the loot system is it isn't well explained.

Jintor

Is it just elemental damage that interrupts parries? My other beef with the loot system is it isn't well explained.

I honestly have no idea. Elemental effects proccing are the most reliable way, but I think knockback works as well.

Blitzwing however no sells almost everything except elemental and stuns... that tough bastard. He's almost impossible to stun on Magnus and higher

NEO0MJ

I honestly have no idea. Elemental effects proccing are the most reliable way, but I think knockback works as well.

Blitzwing however no sells almost everything except elemental and stuns... that tough bastard. He's almost impossible to stun on Magnus and higher

Even on normal it was a shock to see someone just ignore your hits.

Starting on Commander is not really an issue, even the starter weapons against Devy make him take, what, 4 minutes at the most if you're aggressive? That's about how long it took me going in on my first go. I can't recall exactly but I might have upgraded Sideswipe's swords once or twice with some synth.

In any case, the canceling you can do in this is bonafide hilarious. I keep finding myself improving as I play on Prime and have to step my game up and use all the available tools. It's extremely satisfying and on point when you get a real good string together. Lariat and shove both rule a lot.

Tuffty

The Insecticon fight music is so. good. Platinum just knows how good music can really elevate fight sequences into something greater than it should be.

Arttemis

Starting on Commander is not really an issue, even the starter weapons against Devy make him take, what, 4 minutes at the most if you're aggressive? That's about how long it took me going in on my first go. I can't recall exactly but I might have upgraded Sideswipe's swords once or twice with some synth.

In any case, the canceling you can do in this is bonafide hilarious. I keep finding myself improving as I play on Prime and have to step my game up and use all the available tools. It's extremely satisfying and on point when you get a real good string together. Lariat and shove both rule a lot.

If you start the game on Commander, you have no access to any of the upgrades. Starting weapons, no synth, and most importantly, none of the upgraded moves that allow you to just-dodge, parry, etc. I wouldn't say it's 'not really an issue'. Going back to Commander mode immediately after unlocking the Ark is almost night and day difference due to how much you can gain on your first visit (mainly those moves).

If you start the game on Commander, you have no access to any of the upgrades. Starting weapons, no synth, and most importantly, none of the upgraded moves that allow you to just-dodge, parry, etc. I wouldn't say it's 'not really an issue'. Going back to Commander mode immediately after unlocking the Ark is almost night and day difference due to how much you can gain on your first visit (mainly those moves).

Unless I am remembering wrong, you gain Ark access at or around mission 5 or 6 in stage 1. I was referencing and speaking about the mission 17 devasator, where you can have some upgrades already going.

I consider Devasator in Mission 3 a tutorial. He has less going on that the stage ending version. I assume the guy who played for an hour or so got beyond the first five or so tutorial missions.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game again on Commander. Took more time to explore levels and experiment with weapons, though I still have missing stuff. Gonna have to reiterate that
the second phase of the Megatron final fight doesn't last long enough.

The Insecticon fight music is so. good. Platinum just knows how good music can really elevate fight sequences into something greater than it should be.

True, that.

Oh my god, the
Autobot clone
challenge is fucking amazing on Prime.

Like holy shit, two at once AND they use rush attacks, overdrives AND their supers.

Probably one of the best fights in the game. I only wish you could fight them all at once

Oh my god, the
Autobot clone
challenge is fucking amazing on Prime.

Like holy shit, two at once AND they use rush attacks, overdrives AND their supers.

Probably one of the best fights in the game. I only wish you could fight them all at once

you're goddamn right.
i hate grim.

Just beat the game again on Commander. Took more time to explore levels and experiment with weapons, though I still have missing stuff. Gonna have to reiterate that
the second phase of the Megatron final fight doesn't last long enough.
indeed. it looks so good.

I'm torn on this game. I went for it because I wanted something to pass the time until Fallout. Initial impressions were great, I love the graphical style and it pushes my nostalgia buttons, as someone who watched the show when it first aired.

The fighting is great fun as one would expect from a Platinum game, but everything between the fighting is pretty tedious. And no, changing the forced perspective from time to time does not constitute variation in level design. I'm sick of the sight of the city background already.

I'm also not sure why they would go for the original style and get the voice cast back, but not have the classic music, or the spinning Autobot/Decepticon logo between scenes.

Overall i'll likely play to the end of the story and trade it in, if I paid £20 instead of £40 i'd probably enjoy the game more too.

KingV

I'm torn on this game. I went for it because I wanted something to pass the time until Fallout. Initial impressions were great, I love the graphical style and it pushes my nostalgia buttons, as someone who watched the show when it first aired.

The fighting is great fun as one would expect from a Platinum game, but everything between the fighting is pretty tedious. And no, changing the forced perspective from time to time does not constitute variation in level design. I'm sick of the sight of the city background already.

I'm also not sure why they would go for the original style and get the voice cast back, but not have the classic music, or the spinning Autobot/Decepticon logo between scenes.

Overall i'll likely play to the end of the story and trade it in, if I paid £20 instead of £40 i'd probably enjoy the game more too.

They actually do have the spinning logo (or at least the logo) between a few scenes but its used really sparingly, so it comes across as sort of strange.

I don't really understand the music complaint. You'd rather have cheesy Hanna Barbara-esque music over the rocking soundtrack we have now just because G1 did it?

And as mentioned above, the Autobot/Decepticon symbol flip transition does make an appearance later on.

I don't really understand the music complaint. You'd rather have cheesy Hanna Barbara-esque music over the rocking soundtrack we have now just because G1 did it?

And as mentioned above, the Autobot/Decepticon symbol flip transition does make an appearance later on.

Absolutely! You can have both, I do like the in game music (but I could really do without the cheesy dubstep in the Ark).

I don't know if you grew up with G1 or not, but the music, dated as it may seem, was a big part of it. If they're going for nostalgia, you would think they would get the theme tunes in there.

Gambit

Finally snapped and bought a PS4 for this game. It will arrive on Tuesday.

Hope it can live up to my hype. I have been listening to the Transformers: the Movie soundtrack CD in anticipation!

Anyone here bought it on PC Physically? Here in the UK its £17 which is FAR cheaper than steam or consoles.

Any DRM; Is it just a steam installer like MGSV was?

bumpkin

Finally cracked this open and started playing it last night (on XB1) and a little more this morning. All in all, it's pretty cool. Definitely a love letter to my childhood in a lot of ways; I was grinning when I heard some of those signature DiCola synth notes in the background music during a cut-scene.

My biggest complaint is that it seems really tough to tell when an opponent is about to attack, leading to my combo being broken and me getting punished a lot. Anyone have any tips? It's really hard to see that they're about to attack amidst all of the flash and flare of the effects when attacks land.

I'm also not crazy about the parry button and the transformation button being the same button, just a press versus a hold.

Jintor

Finally cracked this open and started playing it last night (on XB1) and a little more this morning. All in all, it's pretty cool. Definitely a love letter to my childhood in a lot of ways; I was grinning when I heard some of those signature DiCola synth notes in the background music during a cut-scene.

My biggest complaint is that it seems really tough to tell when an opponent is about to attack, leading to my combo being broken and me getting punished a lot. Anyone have any tips? It's really hard to see that they're about to attack amidst all of the flash and flare of the effects when attacks land.

I'm also not crazy about the parry button and the transformation button being the same button, just a press versus a hold.

Use sound cues for attacks. More reliable

1) As Jintor said, sound cues. There is a distinct sound and flash when someone is going to attack you. As a bonus, there is a different sound and flash when you can trigger a vehicle attack, which is done with the same button, so just train your reflexes to press it on sound cue.

2) That is not parrying, that's dodging. Parrying is done by pushing the left stick plus an attack button, towards an incoming attack. So far I have yet to see a lot of advantages versus reversals (triggered from dodging an attack and immediately holding an attack or dodge button), aside from grabbing tank shells and drills in midair, which is in turn more cool-looking than useful. BTW, what enemy throws "rocks" at you, as per the parry achievement? Devastator?

2) That is not parrying, that's dodging. Parrying is done by pushing the left stick plus an attack button, towards an incoming attack. So far I have yet to see a lot of advantages versus reversals (triggered from dodging an attack and immediately holding an attack or dodge button), aside from grabbing tank shells and drills in midair, which is in turn more cool-looking than useful. BTW, what enemy throws "rocks" at you, as per the parry achievement? Devastator?

try challenge 2. move a little away from enemies and they'll start throwing rocks. i think it was constructicons.

2) That is not parrying, that's dodging. Parrying is done by pushing the left stick plus an attack button, towards an incoming attack.
Are you absolutely sure about this? I think both the game and my fingers tell me you don't need to press an attack button for the parry but I would like to know for certain.

Edit: It's definitely one of the Constructicons that throws boulders; I believe it's Scavenger but I could be wrong.

ArjanN

Are you absolutely sure about this? I think both the game and my fingers tell me you don't need to press an attack button for the parry but I would like to know for certain.

Edit: It's definitely one of the Constructicons that throws boulders; I believe it's Scavenger but I could be wrong.

You're right, it's only pushing in the direction at the right time, in Revengeance you also had hit the light attack a the same time.

Arttemis

There is a move you can purchase that allows you to counter after a parry by attacking, so it's not a bad habit.

Are you absolutely sure about this?

Actually, I'm not, and it seems I was wrong. Force of habit from Rising. :) So it's like Bayo's Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, then?

There is a move you can purchase that allows you to counter after a parry by attacking, so it's not a bad habit.

Wait, there is? Not just after dodging, but also parrying? That's one thing that might give them the utility I was looking for, gotta try that! Thanks!

Rosur

ugh facing 3 ground soldiers in top down view sucks on magnus difficulty (where you have to carry the red energon).

NEO0MJ

So, how do we boost Grimlock's Dino mode damage outside tech? Right now on Magnus there seems little reason to use it as the damage output is just too low.

SoCoRoBo

Played one hour so far. Not really feeling it. I started on Commander difficulty but the first boss fight was too much and his health bar was going down so slowly.
It feels too much like Bayonetta with a Transformers skin. Bayonetta combat system is 6 years old now and this is the 4th game with a very similar feel. If Platinum doesn't evolve its core gameplay combat, I'm probably going to skip the next one. Shame as the controls are spot on as usual but I've done all this already :(

Probably best to start on Normal difficulty as otherwise the fights are a long slog because you don't have the right equipment. It's still a fantastic game but I get what you're saying about wanting a next step from Platinum

This ended up being rock fuckin' solid. Enjoyed getting the trophies. Scoring needs a bit of tightening up and the UI could use some work (mass upgrading/selling/management of loot in general) but the combo work in this is sublime and awesome. Bee is a nutcase. Cancelling into and out of pretty much everything is wonderful. The challenge mode, especially 21, is BEYOND fantastic. Soundtrack is on point. This "five hour" game lasted me about 8 times that.

Will double dip on Steam probably for the 4K downsampling shenanigans.

yeah the loot system is okaaaaaaaaaay but I'm not really a big fan. I prefer Platinum's purer combat experiences where I don't have to worry about trying to find a sick weapon and then do a bunch of crafting and worry about proccing on random rolls; instead I just have to learn the intricacies of a smaller subset of highly polished weapons that will always do right by me if I use them correctly.

Yeah, it's a really strange thing for Platinum to add, yet I still don't feel annoyed by it like I would with any other game.

Jintor

Yeah, it's a really strange thing for Platinum to add, yet I still don't feel annoyed by it like I would with any other game.

I think the main reason is even if you just had the core weapons they FEEL good to use. It's the constant slowdown-speedup that gives hits impacts, the sounds, the transform attacks. Even if you're using a baseline weapon with no extra bits the game just has that combat feel you crave.

Tizoc

So Steamspy is currently showing the game has over 9,000 purchases on Steam.
By end of the year and if it goes on sale I do hope to see it reach a higher value.
For now I guess the total combined sales of the game may be 50K across all platforms :X

While rather off topic I figured it fitting to bring it up: A 100% accurate fact about Decepticons from an Autobot-
"Decepticons are obsessed with combining. Put two of 'em in a room and within seconds one will be standing on top of the other's shoulders. Fact."- Swerve

Top Bottom