• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

bumpkin

As I play the game, the only thing I wonder is why didn't they get the correct sound effects for gunfire? Having the right sound coming out of the TF's blasters would sell the feel of the 80's cartoon so much more.

That's awesome! Platinum's doing the lord's work.
This sentence combined with the image of Bayonetta tearing up angels made me chuckle :)

Anyone happen to know what fight/challenge/chapter has a highish chance of dropping Prime's signature weapons? I still need SS rank ion blaster and energon axe.

Labolas

Grimlock is too much fun. Doing german suplexes and powerbombs feels awesome. And getting an air throw is...
tumblr_m1mv2wb8Dk1rns5i4o1_500.gif

Tizoc

So now that there is new regional pricing on Steam, I wonder how cheap this game goes for in some regions.

Justinh

Hideki Kamiya plays Transformers: Devastation

Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but it's 40 minutes long...talking about Scalebound stuff

"If Kamiya-san dies, he blocks himself on Twitter."
oh, apparently this was during the "Crackdown's team Extra LIfe livestream" and links to d-shockers in the description, just keep that in mind.
I love watching his face (not in a weird way) while he's playing since I bet I make similar faces when playing Bayonetta or Transformers...
1Kck0zU.gif

Check out this ridiculous combo and trick exhibition by XLHGladiator. He has one of the best channels I've seen for high level stylish action gameplay.

Not bad at all. Disappointingly, it didn't show any link or move I didn't already know of, except Grimlock's dino multi stomp (I gotta use more Grimlock, but as the user above mentioned, dino form seems to scale awfully).

On the subject of videos, I uploaded one of Challenge 2 in Prime difficulty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLFVh9zN-k
Some pretty close calls in there, haha!

taoofjord

Just finished the story mode for the first time. I wasn't sure about it at the beginning but I reaaaaaally warmed up to it a third of the way in. I'd kill for a sequel with a bigger budget that allows them to go full on crazy like in their other games. As is, they obviously spent the majority of their time and budget making sure the game plays great instead of designing a lot of art assets and one-off cinematic gameplay moments. They made the right call. I'll definitely play more, the challenge mode should be a blast.

Kinda got this game on a whim and haven't stop playing it since. It gets pretty wild on Prime difficulty when the enemies are moving 2-4 times faster than other difficulties. I still find myself trying to find rare items and making the most powerful SS weapons that I can. Tweaks to some weapons make them a little ridiculous and that makes this game that much more fun with all the weapons available. I made some challenge mode videos on Prime difficulty showing just how crazy this game can get. This game is just too much fun and it's even better if you watched the old cartoons as a kid. I just wish Megatron would have had his old gun form in the game instead of a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4l4mFUKsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDq-7c2U5xI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJpQNCwnaA

Kinda got this game on a whim and haven't stop playing it since. It gets pretty wild on Prime difficulty when the enemies are moving 2-4 times faster than other difficulties. I still find myself trying to find rare items and making the most powerful SS weapons that I can. Tweaks to some weapons make them a little ridiculous and that makes this game that much more fun with all the weapons available. I made some challenge mode videos on Prime difficulty showing just how crazy this game can get. This game is just too much fun and it's even better if you watched the old cartoons as a kid. I just wish Megatron would have had his old gun form in the game instead of a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4l4mFUKsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDq-7c2U5xI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJpQNCwnaA

Very nice videos! I've realized you're using mostly regular weapons: you probably know this, but unique weapons have a much higher strength at level 50. I have a Star Saber at 7000+ damage without any damage+ modifiers, and a Forge of Solus Prime at 20000+ (!) with just one Damage lv5. The Forge is pretty ridiculous in fact and wrecks everything in a few hits, so I'm hunting for more SS uniques (the Star Saber is about right).

When hunting for weapons remember to check the store for weapons every mission, too. I got the SS Star Saber for a measly 250k.

Very nice videos! I've realized you're using mostly regular weapons: you probably know this, but unique weapons have a much higher strength at level 50. I have a Star Saber at 7000+ damage without any damage+ modifiers, and a Forge of Solus Prime at 20000+ (!) with just one Damage lv5. The Forge is pretty ridiculous in fact and wrecks everything in a few hits, so I'm hunting for more SS uniques (the Star Saber is about right).

When hunting for weapons remember to check the store for weapons every mission, too. I got the SS Star Saber for a measly 250k.

Really? I didn't know that. The game just won't drop rare stuff for me. I'm finishing challenge missions on Prime with SS and leaving with nothing but S rank weapons. I've got a layout with nothing but rare modifiers and I still don't get much. I kinda just played to get that stuff and worked with what I got. I haven't gotten a good Forge yet. I sold those.

Monocle

Really? I didn't know that. The game just won't drop rare stuff for me. I'm finishing challenge missions on Prime with SS and leaving with nothing but S rank weapons. I've got a layout with nothing but rare modifiers and I still don't get much. I kinda just played to get that stuff and worked with what I got. I haven't gotten a good Forge yet. I sold those.
Pick Optimus (he has the most tech slots—5 when fully upgraded) and equip nothing but Rare Drop+ tech. Then do this in Chapter 2 on Prime:

This might have been posted already, but the checkpoint system is perfectly designed for grinding. Just clear out the enemies and hazards in an area, visit the Ark through one of the green portals to make a checkpoint, and go collect all the treasures. When you revert to the checkpoint, the treasures will be reset but you'll still have all of your money and loot. Then you can enter the Ark to see what you got, or repeat the whole process.

I accidentally did this with the whole first part of Chapter 2 on Magnus and made about 800,000 credits (after selling stuff). I got 25+ uncommon weapons and a few rares because I always keep rare weapon drop tech equipped.

So yeah. If you want to break the game fast, try this on Prime.

BTW, apparently rare weapon types can drop anywhere. Eventually I got a very nice set of Devastator's drills and a way better Soundwave speaker than my first one (don't sleep on this weapon. It stuns everything but the combiner bosses) just from treasures in Chapter 2.
Just remember you have to revert to checkpoint after you've collected everything, if you want to do it again. Do not enter the Ark or advance far enough to create a new checkpoint before you've reverted. You can clear out almost all of Chapter 2's treasures as many times as you want, as long as you avoid the figure-8 racetrack, which triggers the next part of the chapter if I'm remembering correctly.

Tizoc

It just occurred to me: The Cybertronian currency in the comics is called Shanix, wonder they didn't use it for the game? Guess they weren't aware of it.

Dunno if this was posted already, but it looks like people found an unused model for Ratbat (one of the Deception cassettes who works for Soundwave).

Devastation-Ratbat.jpg

Tizoc

Dunno if this was posted already, but it looks like people found an unused model for Ratbat (one of the Deception cassettes who works for Soundwave).

Devastation-Ratbat.jpg

Interesting, I believe Buzzsaw is in the game (yellow Lazerbeak), so I guess it was easier to have him animate than Ratbat?

Do the stats reset when you replay the game on higher difficulty?

Nope, your stats remain the same, and in fact all characters' stats increase even if yuou don't play as them.

Tizoc

My Bumblebee stats were maxed out when I finished commander difficulty, but when I started Magnus difficulty his stats were reset, I don't know why??!!

Actually at higher difficulties, you get additional stat levels to make your characters stronger. i've not noticed my stats resetting at all.

So if you finished Commander and had Atk at Lvl. 20, the next difficulty level would allow you to go to Lvl. 40, etc.

Actually at higher difficulties, you get additional stat levels to make your characters stronger. i've not noticed my stats resetting at all.

So if you finished Commander and had Atk at Lvl. 20, the next difficulty level would allow you to go to Lvl. 40, etc.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks.

Check out this ridiculous combo and trick exhibition by XLHGladiator. He has one of the best channels I've seen for high level stylish action gameplay.
Awesome!

Not bad at all. Disappointingly, it didn't show any link or move I didn't already know of, except Grimlock's dino multi stomp (I gotta use more Grimlock, but as the user above mentioned, dino form seems to scale awfully).

On the subject of videos, I uploaded one of Challenge 2 in Prime difficulty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLFVh9zN-k
Some pretty close calls in there, haha!

Very nice! A lot of skilled people here. I've been taking a break from this game to play other stuff but now just coming back to it.

Tizoc

The pre-order dlc is up now on US PSN but unlike EU PSN it is priced as $4.99 @_@
Will get it when its discounted someday.

KooopaKid

Banned
Finally over with this game in about 5H30.
I didn't like it much, dull and extremely repetitive environments, vehicular attacks are cool at first but get cheap fast, very few combos, zero variety, several messy boss fights, in particular the giant ones, you can't see shit. All the enemies act more or less the same. It doesn't help I have no interest in this franchise and the "lore".
A step-up after Korra but the lack of time, scope and budget clearly shows.
I don't think I'll be buying another low-budget Platinum game.
Waiting for Nier: Automata...

I have a hard time believing you'll like Nier Automata if you thought this had zero variety. Unless maybe since the game is an RPG you'll feel more obligated to try more than one combo with one weapon.

No seriously, the game has problems and allows for quite a bit of cheesing, but like a lot of their action games, the variety is what you make of it. I have little doubt Nier will be built around all sorts of different types of systems so the variety will be a bit more obvious.

Monocle

Finally over with this game in about 5H30.
I didn't like it much, dull and extremely repetitive environments, vehicular attacks are cool at first but get cheap fast, very few combos, zero variety, several messy boss fights, in particular the giant ones, you can't see shit. All the enemies act more or less the same. It doesn't help I have no interest in this franchise and the "lore".
A step-up after Korra but the lack of time, scope and budget clearly shows.
I don't think I'll be buying another low-budget Platinum game.
Waiting for Nier: Automata...
There's a lot more variety than you seem to think. The single sword alone has around ten combos (with variations), and some end in vehicle attacks with different properties. You have a broad area-of-effect attack, a fast ram, a charge that instantly takes you to max speed, a flip that sends you and the enemy airborne, an aerial drop attack that can be chained into a wheel grind, and various combinations of these like flip into charge. Then you have all of the basic command attacks, some of which trigger vehicle attacks. Again, this is one weapon. You can hold four at a time. And I didn't even get into the character-specific abilities (Grimlock is unique from the other characters in a lot of ways, Bumblebee's back attack greatly increases combo potential, etc.) or the many different builds you can create with tech and customized weapons.

As to your other issues, like the enemies that are supposedly almost the same (which difficulty did you play on? Their differences are distinct in the three highest ones), I have to wonder how much effort you put into the game. I mean, there are loads of secret weapon caches, puzzle switches, bonus challenges, and collectibles. Not to mention the 50 extra missions.

Like Fine Ham Abounds said (amazing username, lol), the variety is what you make of it. This applies to most stylish action games, actually. You're given a bunch of tools, and then it's up to you to combine them in interesting ways. The content is there, but you have to look for it rather than treat the campaign as a totally linear thing. Or you can equip a hammer and mash X through the whole game, and ignore all of the hidden stuff. I don't know how you played the game, but based on your impressions I would be surprised if you approached it in a way that let you experience most of what it has to offer.

Finally got back to playing this, since I stopped to play other things. Just got Magnus difficulty.

What rank weapons should I be prioritizing at this point? Mainly S Ranks?

There's a lot more variety than you seem to think. The single sword alone has around ten combos (with variations), and some end in vehicle attacks with different properties. You have a broad area-of-effect attack, a fast ram, a charge that instantly takes you to max speed, a flip that sends you and the enemy airborne, an aerial drop attack that can be chained into a wheel grind, and various combinations of these like flip into charge. Then you have all of the basic command attacks, some of which trigger vehicle attacks. Again, this is one weapon. You can hold four at a time. And I didn't even get into the character-specific abilities (Grimlock is unique from the other characters in a lot of ways, Bumblebee's back attack greatly increased combo potential, etc.) or the many different builds you can create with tech and customized weapons.

As to your other issues, like the enemies that are supposedly almost the same (which difficulty did you play on? Their differences are distinct in the three highest ones), I have to wonder how much effort you put into the game. I mean, there are loads of secret weapon caches, puzzle switches, bonus challenges, and collectibles. Not to mention the 50 extra missions.

Like Fine Ham Abounds said (amazing username, lol), the variety is what you make of it. This applies to most stylish action games, actually. You're given a bunch of tools, and then it's up to you to combine them in interesting ways. The content is there, but you have to look for it rather than treat the campaign as a totally linear thing. Or you can equip a hammer and mash X through the whole game, and ignore all of the hidden stuff. I don't know how you played the game, but based on your impressions I would be surprised if you approached it in a way that let you experience most of what it has to offer.

Yeah, pretty much this.

KooopaKid

Banned
There's a lot more variety than you seem to think. The single sword alone has around ten combos (with variations), and some end in vehicle attacks with different properties. You have a broad area-of-effect attack, a fast ram, a charge that instantly takes you to max speed, a flip that sends you and the enemy airborne, an aerial drop attack that can be chained into a wheel grind, and various combinations of these like flip into charge. Then you have all of the basic command attacks, some of which trigger vehicle attacks. Again, this is one weapon. You can hold four at a time. And I didn't even get into the character-specific abilities (Grimlock is unique from the other characters in a lot of ways, Bumblebee's back attack greatly increases combo potential, etc.) or the many different builds you can create with tech and customized weapons.

I played on the normal difficulty because the first boss on Commander difficulty was very tedious.
Can't imagine how a pain it must be later in the game when he shows up again with the other big dude
So yeah I definitely cheesed through it because I finished Bayonetta 1 & 2 on difficulties higher than Normal.
I got good rankings (Even SS sometimes) by doing basic combos and not getting hit already so I didn't feel the need to be stylish or vary my approach. Why should I? The game itself doesn't try to be varied in its situations.
I found the upgrade system completely useless and articificial as well and changing weapons doesn't dramatically change the gameplay here (Between swords and gauntlets at least). XXY or XXX or XYY what's the difference other than looks really?

Jintor

timing, power, stun.

i think the real missed opportunity is that the weapon sets don't change your weaves, you're always locked into the same transform attacks depending on character. Hammer should make Optimus use his convoy more or something.

also d00d you're playing on normal, of course you can cheese it by doing basic combos and not getting hit. it's normal.

Labolas

Pick Optimus (he has the most tech slots—5 when fully upgraded) and equip nothing but Rare Drop+ tech. Then do this in Chapter 2 on Prime:

Just remember you have to revert to checkpoint after you've collected everything, if you want to do it again. Do not enter the Ark or advance far enough to create a new checkpoint before you've reverted. You can clear out almost all of Chapter 2's treasures as many times as you want, as long as you avoid the figure-8 racetrack, which triggers the next part of the chapter if I'm remembering correctly.

What part of Chapter 2?

I played on the normal difficulty because the first boss on Commander difficulty was very tedious.
Can't imagine how a pain it must be later in the game when he shows up again with the other big dude
So yeah I definitely cheesed through it because I finished Bayonetta 1 & 2 on difficulties higher than Normal.
I got good rankings (Even SS sometimes) by doing basic combos and not getting hit already so I didn't feel the need to be stylish or vary my approach. Why should I? The game itself doesn't try to be varied in its situations.
I found the upgrade system completely useless and articificial as well and changing weapons doesn't dramatically change the gameplay here (Between swords and gauntlets at least). XXY or XXX or XYY what's the difference other than looks really?

I mean, I think you just proved his point with everything you stated here. It's tough to accurately judge the whole package from Normal, not playing the challenge modes, using two weapon types... did you use any combos with pauses in them? Did you use dodge offset? Certain combos lead into different types of vehicle attacks, which for me was a big deal because I really preferred the combos which allowed two back to back vehicle attacks as finishers/links. The equipment system is not useless if for nothing else the mods you can get to witch time (whatever they call it) duration and buffs to overdrive. Really the weapons are crap until you're on the higher difficulties anyway. But yeah, I'm sure if we're all reductive enough, we can all agree this isn't their best game.

The one thing you do touch on here which is a factor no matter how you play is that the scoring system is off somehow. It rewards weird things.

KooopaKid

Banned
I mean, I think you just proved his point with everything you stated here. It's tough to accurately judge the whole package from Normal, not playing the challenge modes, using two weapon types... did you use any combos with pauses in them? Did you use dodge offset? Certain combos lead into different types of vehicle attacks, which for me was a big deal because I really preferred the combos which allowed two back to back vehicle attacks as finishers/links. The equipment system is not useless if for nothing else the mods you can get to witch time (whatever they call it) duration and buffs to overdrive. Really the weapons are crap until you're on the higher difficulties anyway. But yeah, I'm sure if we're all reductive enough, we can all agree this isn't their best game.

The one thing you do touch on here which is a factor no matter how you play is that the scoring system is off somehow. It rewards weird things.

I've done all this in Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 & Rising. I didn't even know dodge-offset was there. Is there even a comprehensive list of moves in-game? A tutorial? You don't have to perfectly master the combat system to enjoy a game anyway. A combat system alone doesn't make a game. See God Hand. I didn't have any incentive to learn everything. The overall package is lacking.

I've done all this in Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 & Rising. I didn't even know dodge-offset was there. Is there even a comprehensive list of moves in-game? A tutorial? You don't have to perfectly master the combat system to enjoy a game anyway. A combat system alone doesn't make a game. See God Hand. I didn't have any incentive to learn everything. The overall package is lacking.

Yes, there is a moves list in one of the pause menus.

Yes, the first five missions of chapter 1, basically.

And when the game is the combat, it's sort of the point. When the genre and the design are specifically about experimentation and playing with the tools in the combat sandbox, not doing so is missing the forest for the trees.

I mean, it's fine and whatnot if it's not your bag or anything, but what should be clear based on other players input is that some of the descriptions you are making of actual system mechanics are just flat out incorrect.

What does lack in this game is some UI elements, dealing with large numbers of pickups and weapon synth takes too long. Scoring is not as robust as it should be. Some weapon types are abusable (confuse spreadshot). But the combat, in no way, shape, or form, lacks depth.

Ferr986

To be fair, you can finish the hardest difficulty modes in Bayonetta 1 & 2 spamming the regular PPPP/K combo and without even learning what Dodge offset is. As already said, these stylish action games can vary a lot depending on how you approach them.

Can't say about ranking because personally I didn't play Transformers, but the ranking system in Bayo 2 was already nerfed compared to 1 and it's easier to score higher ranks spamming the same attacks so...

You don't have to perfectly master the combat system to enjoy a game anyway. A combat system alone doesn't make a game.

In a Platinum game? Wrong on both accounts. But you were already spouting stuff like "vehicle attacks are overpowered" after playing through normal, so...

Semi-related, I'm having a blast completing all challenges on Prime without using items, especially now that I have more SS uniques. Some of the challenges are brutal, and I don't think I'll ever be able to complete 21 or 22 on Prime, although I still haven't really tried either, I'm still on the second row. I think the three seekers were the worst, they are so goddamn fast and dodge/parry like crazy on Prime.

Shin-chan

I like Platinums games but this is a criticism I have for almost all of their character action titles - the weapons all have basically the same combo and movesets, with slight variations. Compare this with DMC or Ninja Gaiden where each weapon is distinct from the rest. Not only that but you could almost just see combos lifted straight from Bayonetta 2 into Transformers, since the melee weapons are largely the same.

I still love the games but this reason alone will mean they are never ahead of those two other series for me. I hope Scalebound and Nier offer more variety in the movesets and force Platinum out of their comfort zone.

Curufinwe

To be fair, you can finish the hardest difficulty modes in Bayonetta 1 & 2 spamming the regular PPPP/K combo and without even learning what Dodge offset is.

You'd have a hard time time getting thru plenty of areas doing that, unless you were supremely good at dodging.

Monocle

What part of Chapter 2?
The whole map you start in, aside from the racetrack and places just before it. I skip the early areas from Chapter 1 (it's the same map), because the treasures are too few to justify the travel time.

Check out this video. Without collecting anything, clear the first two battles in that guide. Then go back to the Ark portal to make your checkpoint. The portal is in the area where the first encounter happens. The area after the second encounter, which you'll see at 2:22, is where you don't want to go. (Well, you can, but you'll get a new checkpoint, which could ruin the process if you've already collected stuff. And there aren't many items to find there anyway.)

To save time, I like to activate the various puzzle switches around the map, then return to the Ark for a new checkpoint before collecting any treasures.

There are many chests and groundpound points scattered around. Equip a piece of enhanced radar tech so you can see the hidden points. Two of the best places are the secret areas you access by using the air lifts to jump up onto the raised purple paths. Once you're one one, follow it to the end and then hop to the entrance of the area. It'll have a yellow stripe on the edge.

I mean... you're basically asking why you should embrace the combat variety the game is offering you. If you purposely chose not to vary your approach, you can't blame the game for not forcing you to take advantage of your many options. Sorry dude, but the way you played practically guaranteed a bland experience.

I like Platinums games but this is a criticism I have for almost all of their character action titles - the weapons all have basically the same combo and movesets, with slight variations. Compare this with DMC or Ninja Gaiden where each weapon is distinct from the rest. Not only that but you could almost just see combos lifted straight from Bayonetta 2 into Transformers, since the melee weapons are largely the same.

I still love the games but this reason alone will mean they are never ahead of those two other series for me. I hope Scalebound and Nier offer more variety in the movesets and force Platinum out of their comfort zone.
The variety lies in the different weapon properties, which won't be obvious unless you're interested in exploring the combat system and experimenting with combo possibilities. For instance, Bayonetta's pistols and shotguns share the same move list, but the pistols are good for juggling enemies and keeping yourself in the air, while the shotguns deal great damage up close and have a powerful staggering effect which makes them really useful against fast enemies like Grace and Glory. The shared move sets allow you to customize your combo properties by mixing and matching weapons. It's a different approach than making every weapon unique, but it works.

The variation between weapons is more significant than you're suggesting, in most cases, and I think you're overstating the way Platinum repeat themselves between games. They recycle mechanics that work, and in each game they introduce more than enough system changes to put a fresh spin on the combat system. Why fix what isn't broken? Witch Time is a fantastic mechanic that rewards good timing and gives combat a satisfying rhythm and flow. It shouldn't be limited to Bayonetta any more than juggling enemies should be limited to Devil May Cry. And personally, I don't mind when the occasional combo is carried over between games. Part of Platinum's charm is the way they fill their games with references, including references to themselves.

Top Bottom