• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

Jintor

i don't think there's any arguing with you there.

but if platinum games were literally just a testing box with their combat engine and a customised fight arenas i would play the shit out of them. they know how to make combat

Llyranor

i don't think there's any arguing with you there.

but if platinum games were literally just a testing box with their combat engine and a customised fight arenas i would play the shit out of them. they know how to make combat
I agree. The challenges are the best part of the game for me right now. Soooo fun.

Labolas

The whole map you start in, aside from the racetrack and places just before it. I skip the early areas from Chapter 1 (it's the same map), because the treasures are too few to justify the travel time.

Check out this video. Without collecting anything, clear the first two battles in that guide. Then go back to the Ark portal to make your checkpoint. The portal is in the area where the first encounters happens. The area after the second encounter, which you'll see at 2:22, is where you don't want to go. (Well, you can, but you'll get a new checkpoint, which could ruin the process if you've already collected stuff. And there aren't many items to find there anyway.)

To save time, I like to activate the various puzzle switches around the map, then return to the Ark for a new checkpoint before collecting any treasures.

There are many chests and groundpound points scattered around. Equip a piece of enhanced radar tech so you can see the hidden points. Two of the best places are the secret areas you access by using the air lifts to jump up onto the raised purple paths. Once you're one one, follow it to the end and then hop to the entrance of the area. It'll have a yellow stripe on the edge.

Thanks so much. This will help me out a lot.

I like Platinums games but this is a criticism I have for almost all of their character action titles - the weapons all have basically the same combo and movesets, with slight variations. Compare this with DMC or Ninja Gaiden where each weapon is distinct from the rest. Not only that but you could almost just see combos lifted straight from Bayonetta 2 into Transformers, since the melee weapons are largely the same.

I still love the games but this reason alone will mean they are never ahead of those two other series for me. I hope Scalebound and Nier offer more variety in the movesets and force Platinum out of their comfort zone.

How often do we prop up games in our memories. DMC3 was an amazing game but each weapon had barely more than four combos, if that. It was command moves that it had quite a few of, but again half of them were tied to Swordmaster style. Bayonetta 1 and 2 have wildly different weapons with many, many more combos: overlap is inevitable.

TF:D is already packed to the brim with mechanics for a game of this budget, but even so it manages to put weapons that feel quite distinct. Try S, S, S, S, T, T, it's a pretty distinct combo with most weapons. Try also midair held T with a sword close to a large enemy, it multihits as you slice down. It has lots of nice touches like that.

There's a small section in the city that during Chapter 4 has a side mission behind it, but I can't find any way round there. From the central area you go along a purple bride section, over two jumps and then you're suppose to turn left, but there's no way round there.

I can see a yellow rim to the roof of a building and a ramp, but it's too high to jump up to. Next to it is collapsed building, so there's no way through there. Just poking over the top I can see some air stream from one of the boost-jump fans. It's really annoying me!

vlqNq98.jpg

There's a small section in the city that during Chapter 4 has a side mission behind it, but I can't find any way round there. From the central area you go along a purple bride section, over two jumps and then you're suppose to turn left, but there's no way round there.

I can see a yellow rim to the roof of a building and a ramp, but it's too high to jump up to. Next to it is collapsed building, so there's no way through there. Just poking over the top I can see some air stream from one of the boost-jump fans. It's really annoying me!

vlqNq98.jpg

Those white/grey parts on the map are platforms, use the air vent next to the 1st one to get to them.

Those white/grey parts on the map are platforms, use the air vent next to the 1st one to get to them.

The air vent in the main area? That only gets me high enough to get on the purple bridge (next to the floating shielded chest) and not up high enough to get to the platform.

Started Magnus with Sideswipe (Did my initial Warrior run with Optimus and Commander with Bumblebee) and I got killed a few times by some of the newer enemy formations, I seem to be getting by a little better than I thought I would. Been rocking an S-Rank Thermal Sword with around 1.5k Attack and some Attack Up augments, though I just synthed two Rare Drop Ups onto it, so maybe I'll find something better.

Haven't messed around with Wheeljack or Grimlock yet (I hear the latter has a bit of a learning curve), but I think I enjoy using Bumblebee and Sideswipe the most, since I tend to lean towards the speedier, "get in that ass and dish out damage" characters in most games. I can only imagine how much of a pain Blitzwing is going to be.

Played through it today from beginning to end. Great control, fights, and love the art style. Map style was uninspired to say the least. Would love to see the High moon worlds with this art style and play control... Sadly it seems the sales have pretty much doomed this franchise. I don't even know how this was made seeing the resent sales of the previous games.

Monocle

vlqNq98.jpg
Yep, that's one of the hidden areas I referred to in my post about grinding. The other is in the upper-left portion of the map.

Honestly, I should just take a screenshot of the whole city map and whip up a little guide to all of the hidden stuff I've found. There's quite a lot. I haven't gotten around to it to yet because I thought maybe I could find a picture of the map on Google, but nope.

Crossposting from the general TF OT, a friend of mine just sent me this:
http://kotaku.com/custom-transformers-devastation-optimus-prime-figure-im-1742577385
Pretty damn amazing, honestly.
That looks damn good!

NEO0MJ

Magnus difficulty is crazy. I learned to truly fear the elite seekers and the hammer Bros. That mission where you have to fight six at once in top down view 😭

You can double jump off of air vent boosts.

It only went and bloody worked!

I think my problem before was that I was jumping onto the vent and then double jumping as soon as I could, which only gets you up in the air so far. Instead you have to jump AND LAND on the vent, then jump followed by double jump. I feel like such a buffoon!

Once up there, I started the mission, but I was in too much of a rush from actually having made it that I didn't read what the goal was. I spent the next 30mins grabbing the red energon, and trying to destroy all the obstacles... like a mug. It was only when I got REALLY annoyed that I saw that all you had to do was get the red energon to the glowy end marker. I felt like such a tit once I realised, lol.

Yep, that's one of the hidden areas I referred to in my post about grinding. The other is in the upper-left portion of the map.

Honestly, I should just take a screenshot of the whole city map and whip up a little guide to all of the hidden stuff I've found. There's quite a lot. I haven't gotten around to it to yet because I thought maybe I could find a picture of the map on Google, but nope.

I had to screen grab that from a youtube video, lol. The only other area like that that I found was in the top right hand corner, but it was easy to get in there as it is one of the few places you can jump onto, and land on, the supports along the side of the purple trackway. If there are any more hidden spots, I'd love to know about them. I thought I was pretty through, but apparently I've only opened just over 86% of the chests in the game, so I can't be as thorough as I thought.

One more question though... do you gain experience from playing the challenges? If not I'll just grind it out in story mode, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Monocle

I had to screen grab that from a youtube video, lol. The only other area like that that I found was in the top right hand corner, but it was easy to get in there as it is one of the few places you can jump onto, and land on, the supports along the side of the purple trackway. If there are any more hidden spots, I'd love to know about them. I thought I was pretty through, but apparently I've only opened just over 86% of the chests in the game, so I can't be as thorough as I thought.
Oh yeah, that was the second hidden area I was referring to. In chapter 2 I think it's in the upper left part of the map. I forgot to mention you can hop up there using the side of the purple track.

This would have been a lot easier to explain with a screenshot of the map, lol.

One more question though... do you gain experience from playing the challenges? If not I'll just grind it out in story mode, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Yes, you do.

Oh yeah, that was the second hidden area I was referring to. In chapter 2 I think it's in the upper left part of the map. I forgot to mention you can hop up there using the side of the purple track.

This would have been a lot easier to explain with a screenshot of the map, lol.

Yes, you do.

I meant top left... I'm having one of those days!!! (I call them weekdays, they're that fucking frequent, lol).

NEO0MJ

Man, the game seriously bombed in the US(and I'm sure the rest of the world). I wasn't expecting a million seller but sub-50k?

TreIII

Man, the game seriously bombed in the US(and I'm sure the rest of the world). I wasn't expecting a million seller but sub-50k?

To be fair, a G1-themed product was going to limit the type of audience this was going to attract from the quantum jump. And then the reputation that this was a "4-5 hour game" did the rest.

Let's just hope Activision and Hasbro's expectations were at the right level (and you'd hope so, considering Activision definitely puts out B-tier stuff like the last few TMNT games, as well). A sequel that actually had the time to be the full-featured package that P* is known for, and possibly was part of a marketing blitz to celebrate the first movie's 30th anniversary next year, could hopefully perform somewhat better.

Tuffty

It had next to no marketing so you can't be too surprised. Then the reviews come out, the words 'budget development' and '4 hour campaign' are thrown around with that initial price tag and that already turns anyone who might have had an interest away from it. Might sell a few more copies when it drops in price and has good word of mouth to pick up during a sale.

It had next to no marketing so you can't be too surprised. Then the reviews come out, the words 'budget development' and '4 hour campaign' are thrown around with that initial price tag and that already turns anyone who might have had an interest away from it. Might sell a few more copies when it drops in price and has good word of mouth to pick up during a sale.

What with Christmas so close, I couldn't afford to drop £40 on the Xbone version (made worse by seeing the 360 version at £24.99... and even as low as £19.99 in TRU - both are non sale prices!). I only managed to convince the missus to let me have it because of the recent half price sale on the XBone version at GAME (just for the weekend, I believe).

TRU did have a freestanding Cardboard display for it, filled with gamecases... although that's the closest to advertising that I've seen for it.

I wanna believe that the sequel tease was more than just wishful thinking. I'm sure they weren't expecting a lot.

Devastation was confirmed to be the first in a trilogy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...oys-and-comics-will-be-part-of-the-same-story

TreIII

While I definitely want to see more, duckroll and others earlier in the topic gave a sobering reminder: that PR announcement did not at all explicitly promise that Devastation would be followed up with more "Platinumformers" games.

It's what we'd expect, since more of the work is done and all P* would have to do would just have more time to deliver a product at their usual levels. But until we see something more specific, we can't be absolutely sure, either.

Sub-50k? Ugh. I wasn't expecting it to move millions either, but I was hoping for the hundred thousand at least.
Wonder how it did in Japan. Surely worse, but I'd still want to see numbers to get an idea about how G1 nostalgia is over there. Judging by the endless release of Masterpieces over there, it seems pretty strong.

Also, it seems obvious to me that further games will reuse the rock solid groundwork laid out by Devastation. The only question if if they could conceivably be outsourced to cheaper studios than Platinum, but the game seems to run on Platinum's engine so if at all possible, it would take some truly extraordinary legal witchcraft. I get the feeling P* woud make them for peanuts anyway.

Peff

Sub-50k? Ugh. I wasn't expecting it to move millions either, but I was hoping for the hundred thousand at least.
Wonder how it did in Japan. Surely worse, but I'd still want to see numbers to get an idea about how G1 nostalgia is over there. Judging by the endless release of Masterpieces over there, it seems pretty strong.

I don't think the game is coming out in Japan at all... last I checked it wasn't announced, and that was shortly after we got it.

And yeah, those numbers are not good for the game's main market. Classic Transformers doesn't have much pull in Europe, unfortunately.

Started a playthrough with Grimlock last night. Only did the first chapter so far (but the first chapter feels like it's about 1/3 of the entire game).

It's upsetting to me how little I'm enjoying playing as him 😦

NEO0MJ

Man, I feel the first protect mission is impossible on Magnus difficulty. Wheeljack dies too fast.

It's upsetting to me how little I'm enjoying playing as him 😦

Grimlock is funky but personally he's my favorite character to play as. Knowing how best make use of grapples and dino mode is key. Only flaw is how dificult it is to equip tech on him. On Magnus and he's capped at two.

Arttemis

If they can iterate and improve upon what they've made, then this is fantastic. The itemization, menus, and level structure needs some improvement, but the foundation of a great action game is 110% there!

Man, I feel the first protect mission is impossible on Magnus difficulty. Wheeljack dies too fast.

Grimlock is funky but personally he's my favorite character to play as. Knowing how best make use of grapples and dino mode is key. Only flaw is how dificult it is to equip tech on him. On Magnus and he's capped at two.

I'm finding Grimlock the most difficult character to play on Prime, especially during the challenges, because he seems to scale really badly. On Prime most of your damage comes from weapon attacks since enemies have so much HP, weapons scale reasonably well (since by then you can make level 50 SS uniques with 7000-20000 attack power), but everything else does chip damage, including anything Grimlock can do in dino mode. With the others vehicle attacks are at least useful for staggering and invulnerability (and the chip damage does add up over time), but with Grimlock, failing to hold R1 to go immediately back to robot mode is crippling. Adding that to his equally useless (by then) grabs, loss of vehicle mode for quick traversal, etc. seems to make him clearly the most gimped character. Has anyone found a way to make him more useful in the endgame?

It could all be fixed if all attacks got a bonus from the melee weapon you're holding (perhaps not much for vehicle attacks as othrwise it'd make them overpowered again).

TreIII

I'm finding Grimlock the most difficult character to play on Prime, especially during the challenges, because he seems to scale really badly. On Prime most of your damage comes from weapon attacks since enemies have so much HP, weapons scale reasonably well (since by then you can make level 50 SS uniques with 7000-20000 attack power), but everything else does chip damage, including anything Grimlock can do in dino mode. With the others vehicle attacks are at least useful for staggering and invulnerability (and the chip damage does add up over time), but with Grimlock, failing to hold R1 to go immediately back to robot mode is crippling. Adding that to his equally useless (by then) grabs, loss of vehicle mode for quick traversal, etc. seems to make him clearly the most gimped character. Has anyone found a way to make him more useful in the endgame?

It could all be fixed if all attacks got a bonus from the melee weapon you're holding (perhaps not much for vehicle attacks as othrwise it'd make them overpowered again).

While true that Grimlock can be a struggle, there are a few things that you can use to make him work in Prime (as I did, since I was going to make one of my fave characters work for me, no matter the cost!).

The earlier mentioned trick in this thread about how you can use his 360 or Tetsuzanko/Shove in Dino mode in order to get a free Dino Attack that you can link into almost anything else is pretty much his bread and butter, since Dino Attacks will home in on the closest available target. And since he only gets two TECH slots to play with, you might as well use both of them to increase his Vehicle Attack power so that using those techniques actually pays off.

It doesn't change the fact that Grimlock is severely gimped options-wise compared to the other 4 Autobots, but that, in a nutshell, describes how Grimlock and his maxed SS-ranked Sword conquered Prime Mode.

That said, if a sequel does happen, they really need to make sure he can grab everything. As I said earlier in this topic, it's just so sad when his main gimmick is something that won't work on seemingly 65% of the game's opposition.

bumpkin

Finished the game for the first time with Optimus Prime yesterday. I'll probably play through it again with some other characters, but all in all, I'm indifferent. The game is a love letter to my childhood, but all of my personal detractors make me wish I had waited until it was cheaper; the campaign was short, the weapon crafting feels largely useless/unnecessary, I don't like how busy the screens gets (especially during chase segments), it's crazy difficult (for me) to dodge consistently, the camera comes in way to close during battles, and they cut corners in some areas that would've hammered home the authenticity even more (i.e. gun sounds).

Tempted to buy it digitally on PS4 just to have it always on and not have to fetch the disc, optionally reselling the disc version (which cost me 40€ but I won't be able to get nearly as much back). What to do...

For the record, it's about the same (26€) on Steam until Dec 1st due to the autumn/Black Friday sale.

emag

What a grindfest. As a G1 lover and fan of Bayo, I thought Devastation would be right up my alley, but I immediately hit a brick wall in the form of the first Devastator fight on "hard". He's just a giant damage sponge.

Switched to normal and it's all a cakewalk. But then I'm supposed to manually combine all this junk loot and play a stupid credit-eating mini game for upgrades? And characters have to level up as well? Ugh. This is the shittiest possible way to pad game length. I expected better from Platinum.

I'd return Devastation on Steam, but I left it paused for dinner and my playtime counter is at 3 hours. :/

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
I like the fact that the game is a retro visual fest. usually any Transformers developer tries to make things look more advanced. But here it the 1980s in all their glory.

1st of a trilogy? Hoping for multiplayer and a more open environment in the follow up. Not too open world, though. Starting to get sick of completely open world titles. Mix it up a little with a combination of both.

Top Bottom