• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

Cindro

Woo, this game rules! Like every Platinum game though, the combat/weapon options are pretty overwhelming at first. Are there any good video tutorials out there covering this stuff (including things like synthesis and tech and all that?)

God this game is fun. Why do I suck at it though, yet can get just about all Platinums on Bayonetta 1 and 2? I'm averaging Cs on just about every mission so far.

Definitely adding this to my GOTY list.

I played about 30-40 minutes of this and cleared 7-8 missions I think. This is my first Platinum game.

So far I like it for the most part. The combat mechanics are fantastic and fights against the harder enemies are amazing. The soundtrack and overall style are pretty cool as well.

I'm playing on normal (warrior) and so far it seems really easy, but that may be because I'm only at the beginning. I also have no idea how to even access my equipment or the items I pick up. Also not a fan of the level design or really any of the filler time wasting stuff that's in between the fantastic fighting. Also story seems totally throwaway but I have no experience or attachment to the Transformers cartoon.

So far a good deal for $25, I'll see if the game grows on me as I play.

ArjanN

I played about 30-40 minutes of this and cleared 7-8 missions I think. This is my first Platinum game.

So far I like it for the most part. The combat mechanics are fantastic and fights against the harder enemies are amazing. The soundtrack and overall style are pretty cool as well.

I'm playing on normal (warrior) and so far it seems really easy, but that may be because I'm only at the beginning. I also have no idea how to even access my equipment or the items I pick up. Also not a fan of the level design or really any of the filler time wasting stuff that's in between the fantastic fighting. Also story seems totally throwaway but I have no experience or attachment to the Transformers cartoon.

So far a good deal for $25, I'll see if the game grows on me as I play.

Normal really is pretty easy. Honestly for all of Platinum's stuff the highest (non-unlockable) difficulty is IMO the best one to start on if you have some experience with action games.

This is so, so good; pure joy. But...the weapon inventory limit is really pissing me off. Should I give in and just sell everything instead of synthesising?

Normal really is pretty easy. Honestly for all of Platinum's stuff the highest (non-unlockable) difficulty is IMO the best one to start on if you have some experience with action games.

I have no experience with character action games outside of God of War, but maybe stuff like Bloodborne toughened me up. Can you bump up the difficulty mid playthrough?

I have no experience with character action games outside of God of War, but maybe stuff like Bloodborne toughened me up. Can you bump up the difficulty mid playthrough?

You can, but you might want to get and/or synthetize better weapons first because people have reported that Hard (Commander?) expects you to have B rank weapons (which you get by playing on Normal), and if you don't enemies become bullet sponges (which is annoying, not hard). Alternatively just keep playing on Normal, the game is pretty short and meant to be replayed, and the best fun to be had IMHO is in the challenge missions.

Llyranor

You can, but you might want to get and/or synthetize better weapons first because people have reported that Hard (Commander?) expects you to have B rank weapons (which you get by playing on Normal), and if you don't enemies become bullet sponges (which is annoying, not hard). Alternatively just keep playing on Normal, the game is pretty short and meant to be replayed, and the best fun to be had IMHO is in the challenge missions.
Just bump the diff if the game's too easy for you. Some people (including me) started the game on Commander directly and it was fine. Besides, you get better drops (higher-ranked weapons) by playing on a higher diff anyway.

I think I may have just spoken too soon about the diffoculty, since it turns out I was before you even get access to switching characters and weapon equipping.

The two constructicons that shot out the green goo that freezes you were really hard lol. Great fight though. Loving this game more and more. The animations and everything look so good, the fights just feel crazy cinematic. I also like that I don't need to memorize crazy ridiculous combos that I would forget in a week of not playing.

Just finished it. Damn that was a fun game. It got much less difficult as I got better weapons, and unlocked more moves. It's sad that I now keep expecting "The Touch" to start playing during any Transformers game/movie/etc..

Will play again at a later date.

Mathieran

Banned
I have been loving this game since I got it around thanksgiving. I am on my second play through on hard right now, so far it's pretty easy except for the defend a guy part. Little worried about when I have to defend two guys later on. I've completed most of the challenge missions too.

Only thing I don't really care for is the grind to upgrade your weapons. I don't mind a grind, especially in a game with such great combat, but the amount of time I spend manually synthesizing weapons is tedious. Wish it had a more streamlined method.

I wonder about the conditions for triggering grapples. It seems to be dodges, command moves (360 and b,f), and the uppercut launcher, but either it persists for quite some time (even after you've attacked the enemy with other moves) or there are more things that trigger it, because he was pulling it off air combos all the time.

The one thing that blows my mind is that after 140 hours he hasn't bothered to unlock Prime difficulty, which is where most of my playtime comes from. Which kind of explains why he still hasn't put up any videos of Prime difficulty boss challenges. Hopefully he won't run out of steam before that.

Im putting this on my top 5 goty titles
Optimus prime power geysering cons is the greatest move this year.

It's my second, and only because Bloodborne.

Achamian

Bought this in the sale loving it so far though I have no idea what I'm doing! Takes me right back to childhood watching g1 cartoons! :D

Monocle

I have been loving this game since I got it around thanksgiving. I am on my second play through on hard right now, so far it's pretty easy except for the defend a guy part. Little worried about when I have to defend two guys later on. I've completed most of the challenge missions too.

Only thing I don't really care for is the grind to upgrade your weapons. I don't mind a grind, especially in a game with such great combat, but the amount of time I spend manually synthesizing weapons is tedious. Wish it had a more streamlined method.
You don't have to grind at all before Prime if you don't want to. Just build a weapon set with the drops you get as you play through game. Find four weapons with lots of slots and fill them with good boosts that you'll want to transfer to SS weapons from Prime. (Maybe equip some rare weapon+ tech to get rarer drops.) Unless combat is a huge struggle for you, there's no point in spending hours synthesizing weapons before you've unlocked Prime, where the rewards are so much better. Prime is the best for efficient grinding, since it's the only difficulty that gives you the rarest SS drops, as well as lots of spare A and S weapons for synthesizing.

Beat the game on warrior. Dope as hell. I liked it more the more I played. I wish the characters played more differently though, outside of grimlock they all have really similar moves outside of their special.

Beat the game on warrior. Dope as hell. I liked it more the more I played. I wish the characters played more differently though, outside of grimlock they all have really similar moves outside of their special.

Their differences become more apparent on harder modes when you'll be using their specials and vehicle attacks more often for the invulnerability frames. Also their differences in attack speed and damage are more apparent when you start having to learn them by heart.

Their differences become more apparent on harder modes when you'll be using their specials and vehicle attacks more often for the invulnerability frames. Also their differences in attack speed and damage are more apparent when you start having to learn them by heart.

Yeah, I spent most of the game playing as sideswipe or whatever his name is, so maybe the others will feel more unique the more time I spend with them

Yeah, I spent most of the game playing as sideswipe or whatever his name is, so maybe the others will feel more unique the more time I spend with them

Sideswipe is also the least unique of the five. :) His most distinguising trait is being the fastest both in car mode and, I think, attacking (or it might be Bumblebee).

ps3ud0

OK Ive been enjoying this - loving the little mini-games that pop up through the story. Havent finished it but started looking at the challenges - how the heck do you even survive on the warrior/commander difficultly let alone finish it?!? All our moves just feel like they do chip damage...

Also does the first challenge level max out at B?

Been using Sideswipe as I didnt realise you can change them in game - kinda liked that he has dual swords though!

ps3ud0 8)

OK Ive been enjoying this - loving the little mini-games that pop up through the story. Havent finished it but started looking at the challenges - how the heck do you even survive on the warrior/commander difficultly let alone finish it?!? All our moves just feel like they do chip damage...

Also does the first challenge level max out at B?

Been using Sideswipe as I didnt realise you can change them in game - kinda liked that he has dual swords though!

ps3ud0 8)

No, you can SS rank all challenges as far as I know. Getting headshots is a good way to increase your score, and you can also go into your vehicle combo ender whenever you land them. I found a good combo to be using your rush move (do a heavy attack while in vehicle mode then mash heavy for the punch barrage), but instead of hitting R1 when the blue light flashes, go for a few headshots first, then when it flashes blue hit R1 then.

In terms of characters, most characters can use each weapon. It tells you who can equip what on the equipment screen. But basically Grimlock is awkward in what he can use, Optimus and Grimlock can use heavy weapons, Wheeljack can use a few of those, and everyone can use everything else.

ps3ud0

No, you can SS rank all challenges as far as I know. Getting headshots is a good way to increase your score, and you can also go into your vehicle combo ender whenever you land them. I found a good combo to be using your rush move (do a heavy attack while in vehicle mode then mash heavy for the punch barrage), but instead of hitting R1 when the blue light flashes, go for a few headshots first, then when it flashes blue hit R1 then.

In terms of characters, most characters can use each weapon. It tells you who can equip what on the equipment screen. But basically Grimlock is awkward in what he can use, Optimus and Grimlock can use heavy weapons, Wheeljack can use a few of those, and everyone can use everything else.
Cheers for the info dude, some of it went over my head - after seeing the GDQ run I think Im just gonna skulked into my corner and pretend Im still competent at this game...

Ive largely ignored the RPG side so will look at that to get better weapons before I attempt the challenges again

ps3ud0 8)

Just started this tonight.

MAN is it good. Platinum never ceases to impress me.

The music in the home base is fantastic. Heck, the whole soundtrack is good.

Edit - Adding this part in a day later. Finished the game tonight. Short but SO SWEET. Loved every second of this game. Played a few of the challenge stages as well. Awesome game overall.

Kup

What a game. I finished up my 'SS Rank all chapters on Commander difficulty' play through yesterday and have now unlocked all Achievements on Xbox One.

This game is up there for me!

Yeah, the game has a lot of depth beneath its relatively simple appearance. I daresay it's more than meets the eye *badum-tish*

It's supposed to be the first one in a trilogy, hopefully with Platinum still behind the helm, so I can't wait to see what they cook up next. Their TMNT game is also looking amazing. We're not worthy.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

Any differences between the XB1 and PS4 versions I should know about?

Ps4 version is essentially 60 locked while the xbox one version has some drops tp the low 50s. There is a digital foundry comparison.

Get the ps4 version. But both are great.

Finally decided to sweep up some of the backlog and spent most of the day playing this. Really awesome game, wish I played it more when it had come out.

However I spent like an hour and a half pulling my hair out at the insane difficulty spike in the final level. But I persevered and in the final results screen I noticed why I had such a hard time: apparently I switched the difficulty to Commander. -_-

duckroll

I'm sad that this game never got proper DLC content. Extra missions and bosses, new characters, challenge packs, more costumes.... nothing. :(

Peff

I'm sad that this game never got proper DLC content. Extra missions and bosses, new characters, challenge packs, more costumes.... nothing. :(

Yeah, it's a bummer. The way the bosses play out, a playable Decepticon pack seems like it would have been relatively simple to develop, and they even have AI patterns for the Autobots too. With any luck we'll get a sequel next year, especially now that it seems Activision isn't too concerned about art direction synergy in licensed games releasing close to movies of the same franchise.

Demise

Yeah, it's a bummer. The way the bosses play out, a playable Decepticon pack seems like it would have been relatively simple to develop, and they even have AI patterns for the Autobots too. With any luck we'll get a sequel next year, especially now that it seems Activision isn't too concerned about art direction synergy in licensed games releasing close to movies of the same franchise.

A second episode is probably coming. I read they were planning to make a franchise.

TreIII

A second episode is probably coming. I read they were planning to make a franchise.

We can only hope that Saito and his crew will get more opportunities. I NEED to mangle more things with Grimlock.

...And ideally Slag too, if at least one more Dinobot is added in a sequel. #BerylliumBaloney

I really hope they do make a sequel. Maybe from the Deception perspective this time? Or at least a story that can be played from either side. That way you could pick any character.

I initially played through as Sideswipe and then switched to Grimlock for the second playthrough, it was hilariously easier with Grimlock. I would say he was OP, but that auto transform combo was a constant thorn in my side.

Such a good looking game.

Tizoc

Hasbro wants games made as tie ins to their annual themes
Like this year the the theme would be optimus' predecessors

Top Bottom