• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

i actually bought this game twice. ps4 at launch and ps3 version later at a discount. maybe get the pc version later to complete the set! decepticon sequel must happen. i'm fine with any approach.

It will be a crime if sequels aren't made. I think Hasbro wanted to make a trilogy but I have no clue if it sold well enough. The core gameplay is so good they don't even need to change anything, just add more characters, weapon types, enemies and settings (and yes, make the Decepticons playable too).

The core gameplay is so good they don't even need to change anything, just add more characters, weapon types, enemies and settings (and yes, make the Decepticons playable too).

I think it would benefit from having a deeper combo and weapon system. Something like Bayo.

Aside from that I completely agree.

Where do people find games sales numbers? I have tweeted Platinum asking about a sequel, got no reply though.

I think it would benefit from having a deeper combo and weapon system. Something like Bayo.

Aside from that I completely agree.

Where do people find games sales numbers? I have tweeted Platinum asking about a sequel, got no reply though.

It already has a ridiculously deep combo system, very much comparable with Bayo. Check these out!
Command dodge
Parry offset
Focus extension
Really, the only thing Bayo has over it is more amount of stuff (different combos, especially thanks to being able to combine hand and feet weapons), and bells and whistles (transformations, torture attacks, etc.). The core is already rock-solid.

Drayco21

Hasbro wants games made as tie ins to their annual themes
Like this year the the theme would be optimus' predecessors

Especially considering the end of this game.
Nova Prime boss battle when, Platinum?

I'm also hoping for a sequel; would love to see more direct IDW influence, bring in Prowl, Arcee and Windblade and just expand on the foundation here. Maybe even a playable Combiner sequence; taking control of Superion for a couple fights would be a really neat thing.

TreIII

Especially considering the end of this game.
Nova Prime boss battle when, Platinum?

I'm also hoping for a sequel; would love to see more direct IDW influence, bring in Prowl, Arcee and Windblade and just expand on the foundation here. Maybe even a playable Combiner sequence; taking control of Superion for a couple fights would be a really neat thing.

I think the only way P* will be able to have free reign to use whatever characters/scenarios they want is spin this prospective trilogy into its own timeline-I mean "universal stream". And then just be able to tell more of an original story that just tells yet another version of events of what could happen in a lead up to "Battle For Autobot City" setting.

Nova Prime
's presence alone is enough of a thing that could offset whatever
Unicron-related
shenanigans could happen in this timeline. Let alone if the likes of Wheeljack cites his counterpart in the Binaltech universe and takes the hint that
HE GON DIE
seriously, and adequately prepares for it.

It already has a ridiculously deep combo system, very much comparable with Bayo. Check these out!
Really, the only thing Bayo has over it is more amount of stuff (different combos, especially thanks to being able to combine hand and feet weapons), and bells and whistles (transformations, torture attacks, etc.). The core is already rock-solid.

Oh don't get me wrong it is a solid core. Far more than I was expecting when I read the reviews. Reviews made it seem far more workman like than it actually is.

I am only saying that, in the sequel I would want more bells and whistles, over changes in the art style and controls. You know? Like improving the speed of the weapon quick swap and not having that graphic appear in the middle of the screen when switching. And like you said more weapons, characters etc.

I am only saying that, in the sequel I would want more bells and whistles, over changes in the art style and controls. You know? Like improving the speed of the weapon quick swap and not having that graphic appear in the middle of the screen when switching. And like you said more weapons, characters etc.

Well, then we agree, keep the core, add more content. I didn't notice any delay switching weapons, but then again in Prime I always roll with one melee + three ranged, so I never switch mid-combo.

Well, then we agree, keep the core, add more content. I didn't notice any delay switching weapons, but then again in Prime I always roll with one melee + three ranged, so I never switch mid-combo.

Yeah we are on the same page. That delay could be my recollection playing up, but that graphic would often get in the way and I couldn't be sure exactly if the swap was delayed or my eyes are getting too old for this shit ; )

You went 3 ranged? I usually went with 2 of each and often would switch out to 3 melee. I felt the gun game was a little weak. Could be just my Platinum prejudices though. I know melee is their jewel in the crown.

Yeah we are on the same page. That delay could be my recollection playing up, but that graphic would often get in the way and I couldn't be sure exactly if the swap was delayed or my eyes are getting too old for this shit ; )

You went 3 ranged? I usually went with 2 of each and often would switch out to 3 melee. I felt the gun game was a little weak. Could be just my Platinum prejudices though. I know melee is their jewel in the crown.

Some ranged weapos do amazing damage, and others can be used to headshot and stun even bosses and trigger vehicle attacks. In this video you can see how I use them right at the start to keep both bosses relatively under control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-gsI6j_C18

Very impressive.

I feel like I missed out there. I might try more gun game on the next story playthrough, maybe with Wheeljack?

This chat we are having inspired me to try the challenge mode a bit more. Got my first SS rank, albeit on Warrior difficulty. Was amazed to be honest, I felt like I got hit way too much to get SS.

TreIII

Very impressive.

I feel like I missed out there. I might try more gun game on the next story playthrough, maybe with Wheeljack?

This chat we are having inspired me to try the challenge mode a bit more. Got my first SS rank, albeit on Warrior difficulty. Was amazed to be honest, I felt like I got hit way too much to get SS.

With the way Devastation's score system works, it's based more on how well you fought, rather than if you avoided getting hit.

Easiest way to insure getting a S/SS ranking is getting a lot of headshots and vehicle attacks.

Very impressive.

Challenge mode is the real TF:D IMHO. Everyone I know that has gotten addicted to the game has been so to challenge mode, including Saur himself. Ironically, in at least two cases they actually stopped playing story mode, and as a consequence stopped unlocking new difficulties, which is a shame as Prime challenge mode is the pinnacle of the game (see above).

Tizoc

This the one Decepticon team that are worthy of a Decepticon centric campaign
b82cbd7e3d026838607e7cf591cd00d7.jpg

Decepticon Justice Division.

Well that is if you want a 'serious' shooty bang game with some GoW3 Kratos brutality.

This the one Decepticon team that are worthy of a Decepticon centric campaign

Decepticon Justice Division.

Well that is if you want a 'serious' shooty bang game with some GoW3 Kratos brutality.

Everyone loves the DJD but I think they work best as antagonists. Too grimdark for my tastes for anything but the complete monster moral black hole that you can point at in a comic full of moral gray and say "yep, those are the bad guys". Plus they can take down phase sixers like they're grunts, so they might be too overpowered to be controllable characters, even for a P* game.

But by all means, stick them in as bosses, then throw in a crazy challenge where you face all five of them at once. I'm aware this seems to contradict what I just said about them being overpowered, but in TF:D Bumblebee can take on Devastator and Menasor at once, so... :)

Drayco21

Everyone loves the DJD but I think they work best as antagonists. Too grimdark for my tastes for anything but the complete monster moral black hole that you can point at in a comic full of moral gray and say "yep, those are the bad guys". Plus they can take down phase sixers like they're grunts, so they might be too overpowered to be controllable characters, even for a P* game.

But by all means, stick them in as bosses, then throw in a crazy challenge where you face all five of them at once. I'm aware this seems to contradict what I just said about them being overpowered, but in TF:D Bumblebee can take on Devastator and Menasor at once, so... :)

Yeah, I'd much rather see the DJD as boss battles than as playable characters.

Though unleashing sick electric chair combos would be pretty awesome.

Dubz

Just got this from the PSN flash sale, and I'm very impressed. Of course I love the sweet Platinum combat, but what really got me is the music, especially during boss fights.

Highly recommend this game

Hodders

Neo Member
Random question - can anyone tell me if there is much "stick waggling" in this please?

As there was loads in Metal Gear Rising and i'll probably get it on 360/PC rather than subject my PS4 controller to the abuse if it's like that haha

Monocle

Random question - can anyone tell me if there is much "stick waggling" in this please?

As there was loads in Metal Gear Rising and i'll probably get it on 360/PC rather than subject my PS4 controller to the abuse if it's like that haha
No, aside from directional inputs for certain attacks, if that counts. You won't have to abuse your controller.

Keihart

I'm like 2 hours in playing on commander and my gawd this is good. I'm finding it better than Bayo 2 wich i got kinda bored with how easy is in the hardest dificult you can play on your first run.
The way P* has adopted the concept of witch time and offset combo, and even wave attacks to fit transformers is pretty cool.

Platinum games game's almost always make my day.
is just fun and badass.

Besides, i started playing it on a saturday morning so it feels just right.

Edit: If you usually get stunned on this games then there is some wiggle. enemies can inflict stun states on you.

I'm like 2 hours in playing on commander and my gawd this is good. I'm finding it better than Bayo 2 wich i got kinda bored with how easy is in the hardest dificult you can play on your first run.
The way P* has adopted the concept of witch time and offset combo, and even wave attacks to fit transformers is pretty cool.

Platinum games game's almost always make my day.
is just fun and badass.

Besides, i started playing it on a saturday morning so it feels just right.

Edit: If you usually get stunned on this games then there is some wiggle. enemies can inflict stun states on you.

Welcome to the club!

This game is so fucking cool. I'm not even a transformers fan ( but I watched the series) but the gameplay...the damn gameplay is so smooth and fun. I love Platinum Games. I can't wait for the new Turtles game.

And please....Platinum...just make a Looney Tunes game....I need the old cartoons, I miss them. Looney Tunes + Platinum combat? Give it to me now.

This game is so fucking cool. I'm not even a transformers fan ( but I watched the series) but the gameplay...the damn gameplay is so smooth and fun. I love Platinum Games. I can't wait for the new Turtles game.

And please....Platinum...just make a Looney Tunes game....I need the old cartoons, I miss them. Looney Tunes + Platinum combat? Give it to me now.

While they are doing old cartoons I'd love a Gargoyles game by Platinum!

Tizoc

That would be friggin' genius actually.

AwShucks

Just finished. This game really needed to explain the dozens of features available to you and be about two hours longer. I didn't even realize some of the things I could do in the Ark until the last two chapters. Also, what an amazing game. So fun. I need to know what Kenji Saito is directing next because between this and Metal Gear Rising I have all the trust in him. And I wouldn't mind if it was a Transformers sequel.

Monocle

Just finished. This game really needed to explain the dozens of features available to you and be about two hours longer. I didn't even realize some of the things I could do in the Ark until the last two chapters. Also, what an amazing game. So fun. I need to know what Kenji Saito is directing next because between this and Metal Gear Rising I have all the trust in him. And I wouldn't mind if it was a Transformers sequel.
The lack of explanation is typical of Platinum. They're old school to the point of absurdity sometimes, and it's kind of endearing.

The fights in this game are so good. I love how they just hit you with unique fight after unique fight. There are certainly normal enemies but the frequency of real 'boss' type fights is really great. Shockwave in particular is such a well made battle.

Justinh

Part 3 is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUAB2jR-kw too.

I think this video series is worthy of its own thread.
Cool! I played this game a ton on Xbox One, but just started back over on the PC since it was on sale a while ago. I love the game, but I kinda suck at it. I should try to get better.
Was watching TV The Movie last night. Man, I really want a sequel to this with Rodimus, Arcee, Galvatron, Cyclonus etc.
You can't really have those guys without Kup, though...
Honestly, I'd be fine with just some Decepticon story DLC (clarification: more than fine with that)

Unit24

I really want to get back into this game, but the loot system drives me away every time. I can't ignore it even if I want to, because I can't not pick up more weapons that clutter my inventory and force me to clean it out when I go back to base. And I don't want to go to the trouble to find weapons that feel balanced on certain difficulties, it's not my damn job to balance the game, that was Platinum's job.

Oh well, at least I got 5-6 playthroughs in before I burned out.

It's kind of funny how I knew a lot of the things in these videos at an intuitive level, simply by having played the game to death. It's like attending a grammar class for a language you're already fluent in, if that makes sense. Of course, the class still helps you understand the underlying principles, rules and exceptions.

Part 3 is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUAB2jR-kw too.

I think this video series is worthy of its own thread.

I fully agree. Want to do the honors?

Tizoc

It's kind of funny how I knew a lot of the things in these videos at an intuitive level, simply by having played the game to death. It's like attending a grammar class for a language you're already fluent in, if that makes sense. Of course, the class still helps you understand the underlying principles, rules and exceptions.

I fully agree. Want to do the honors?
EDIT: Allow me
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262607

Aske

Was watching TF The Movie last night. Man, I really want a sequel to this with Rodimus, Arcee, Galvatron, Cyclonus etc.

Watch the first 5 episodes of Season 3: The Five Faces of Darkness. They're a single story that serves as sequel to the movie.

In my mind, there are a trilogy of animated G1 Transformers movies. The first is Desertion of the Dinobots. Not up to the quality of the 86 movie, obviously, but DotD and TFFoD have significantly better animation than most of the other TV episodes, and form cogent full length features when edited to play back to back.

Watch the first 5 episodes of Season 3: The Five Faces of Darkness. They're a single story that serves as sequel to the movie.

In my mind, there are a trilogy of animated G1 Transformers movies. The first is Desertion of the Dinobots. Not up to the quality of the 86 movie, obviously, but DotD and TFFoD have significantly better animation than most of the other TV episodes, and form cogent full length features when edited to play back to back.

I think he meant a sequel to the game with those characters, which i'm totally on board for. After seeing that Bayformers thread and how theyre ruining my boy hot rod, having him show up in devastation 2 would make up for that.

Aske

I think he meant a sequel to the game with those characters, which i'm totally on board for. After seeing that Bayformers thread and how theyre ruining my boy hot rod, having him show up in devastation 2 would make up for that.

In that case I completely agree. TF Devastation doesn't seem like it's setting us up for that though. The story heavily implies that a second chapter will involve more combiners in order to take on Nova Prime. I'd anticipate player-controlled combiner fights, more pre-movie characters, and playable Decepticons. I could see Hot Rod, Arcee, or maybe Ultra Magnus getting added to the cast if they wanted to spread a bit of season 3 love. But in my ideal world, yes, the next Platinum TF game would give me Galvatron, Hot Rod, Cyclonus, Unicron, etc, because the season 3 and movie characters are my favorites.

Tizoc

Better yet, make a game with these mechanics based on MTMTE. With an original story written by James Roberts.

Yeah, a man can drean...

I'd be fine with an Adventure game Telltale-style based on MTMTE.
It'd have a Rashomon style narritive:
Whirl, Swerve, Tailgate & Chromedome and Rewind are in court for...something, they blew up a factory complex.
Each one retells the events as they occured from their own PoV. The final episode
has Rodimus retelling with Drift filling in the holes

Top Bottom