• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

SiteSeer

just beat this game after sitting on it for months. got ss on chapter 6, (?) the one with only three graded fights, on first play through. really enjoyed it, loved the nostalgia feel of the generations 'formers. level design sucked but the combat is very fun after i got the hang of it, and i've still got lots to learn. i even liked the gang ups and double bosses, was frustrating at first but gets manageable with more practice, moves and upgrades. can't wait for nier!

MikeyB

Taking a break from Overwatch and Dyijg Light with this game.

I am not typically an action gamer, but I love this game. It faithfully captures the G1 Transformers, it's style and design is consistent, and the combat is a blast.

Sideswipe has been my main through act 1 and 2, so he is the most levelled up, but I get destroyed when usit him in the challenges. Bumblebee is now my go to. The double vehicle charge is fantastic.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out exactly when I would find the specials useful, so I haven't touched them yet. Why would I want to dash?

The experience makes me want to get better at Platinum Games, but that may require more time and better reflexes than I have.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
For the life of me, I cannot figure out exactly when I would find the specials useful, so I haven't touched them yet. Why would I want to dash?

The experience makes me want to get better at Platinum Games, but that may require more time and better reflexes than I have.

Bumblebee does double damage or something from behind and it also works as a combo extender. Optimus' just does simple damage; grimlock's does a boatload as well. Wheeljack's shield allows you to keep comboing despite one or two misdodged hits. Sideswipe's dash is probably the least useful but still good for following up attacks that knock enemies away.

You've probably already noticed but vehicle attacks have dodge frames that can proc the slowdown. You can also shoot after a combo when the vehicle attack button flashes then still have time to do the attack if you time it right.

MikeyB

Bumblebee does double damage or something from behind and it also works as a combo extender. Optimus' just does simple damage; grimlock's does a boatload as well. Wheeljack's shield allows you to keep comboing despite one or two misdodged hits. Sideswipe's dash is probably the least useful but still good for following up attacks that knock enemies away.

You've probably already noticed but vehicle attacks have dodge frames that can proc the slowdown. You can also shoot after a combo when the vehicle attack button flashes then still have time to do the attack if you time it right.

I knew none of that.

After years of open world collecting, getting behind cover in TPS, and grtting the payload moving, the structure of action games like this one is a breath of fresh air for me. Simple score chasing. I want to get good at it because (1) I can and there's a more limited role for chance (2) it looks so damn good when you pull of a great combo.

magnetic

Just a small bump because the game is currently on sale on Steam again!

Interesting timing because after buying Bayo on Steam I looked up Saurian (the guy who did the incredibly detailed Bayonetta guide book) and he did some cool Transformers videos. Yoshesque also had him on a little podcast she did on her channel where Saurian gushed about how complex and deep Transformers is, and how many people seem to dismiss it as a "Bayonetta light". Put it on my wishlist and it got on sale just a few hours later.

Who knows when the license might run out, so the game is definitely a bargain for 8 bucks. Can´t wait to get into it more. Back when I bought it on 360 I knew very little about character action games so the depth was pretty lost on me.

Here´s the podcast in case anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQXzVoCPCRs

Zomba13

Best of the Activision licensed games. More people should play it and if it's on sale now then get it. Very fun game with great combat and cool loot drops. You definitely see the short comings with the overworld and the lack of variety there (really only two locations) but it's fun. Plus you can play as Grimlock so, you know, robot dinosaur combos.

magnetic

You definitely see the short comings with the overworld and the lack of variety there (really only two locations) but it's fun.

Yeah, there´s certainly a repetetiveness to the game, but on the other hand coming from Bayonetta with its terrible flying/driving sections and the setpiece QTE-heavy bossfights it´s kinda nice to have a title inbetween that is just focussed purely on combat and very little else.

Platinum games can occasionally be a bit too over the top for their own good in my opinion, and I find myself replaying chapters in Bayonetta with more basic encounters to practice the brilliant combat system while avoiding the more cinematic stuff that gets older much quicker.

It´s also very fun to be in a cartoony blue skies world for a change, after playing Bayo and Nier!

Yeah, there´s certainly a repetetiveness to the game, but on the other hand coming from Bayonetta with its terrible flying/driving sections and the setpiece QTE-heavy bossfights it´s kinda nice to have a title inbetween that is just focussed purely on combat and very little else.

Platinum games can occasionally be a bit too over the top for their own good in my opinion, and I find myself replaying chapters in Bayonetta with more basic encounters to practice the brilliant combat system while avoiding the more cinematic stuff that gets older much quicker.

It´s also very fun to be in a cartoony blue skies world for a change, after playing Bayo and Nier!

And dat soundtrack, for.
I had a combo video lined up and never made it. :(

Top Bottom