• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

I'd be fine with an Adventure game Telltale-style based on MTMTE.
It'd have a Rashomon style narritive:
Whirl, Swerve, Tailgate & Chromedome and Rewind are in court for...something, they blew up a factory complex.
Each one retells the events as they occured from their own PoV. The final episode
has Rodimus retelling with Drift filling in the holes

That would be hilarious. God, I would pay good money for a game with Swerve as the narrator. Poor fourth wall.

Monocle

God this game is such a gift to Transformers fans. I can't believe my favorite studio made a game in one of my favorite genres about one of my favorite incarnations of one of my favorite franchises ever. And every detail is so right, not least the voice actors and visual effects straight from the classic material. And the gameplay turns out to be as awesome and deep as any of Platinum's full budget action games? How does this even happen? Damn.

My kiddie self would have flipped three times and landed on the ceiling if he'd known this was coming.

My kiddie self would have flipped three times and landed on the ceiling if he'd known this was coming.

Hahah, I lost count of the times I've thought this very thought. To be fair, my TF fan kid self would have flipped with any of the following too:
- More than Meets the Eye (Roberts' comic).
- Binaltech
- Transformers Masterpieces
- The Universe / Generations line in general
- War for Cybertron / Fall of Cybertron

Edit: Crossposting from the Saur's video thread:
I'm considering making a complete PC save editor for the game, for those of us who are sick of the weapon system (and especially for me that want to start playing on PC but can't import my PS4 save). This would be for people that have put dozens of hours like me and just want each weapon at maximum level (and possibly with the augments you want) without having to spend hours grinding, fusing, selling, etc.

I'm considering alternatives and it seems that my best option in order to create a .exe that people can use, without having to pay for external tools, would be to make a Python program with the Construct library and then compile it as an .exe. Thing is, I don't know a lick of Python, but I've always been meaning to learn. The save files are entirely unencrypted and don't even have basic CRC, you can edit them directly and the game will eat them up. I've already located the bytes that govern stats, time played, money and weapons, if you want to give yourself 16 million credits just change the bytes 0x660 - 0x663 to FF in [User]\Documents\TRANSFORMERS_Devastation\GameData.dat.

I probably will end up doing this even if it's for myself, unless I hit a roadblock or get bored, but I was wondering if other people would also be interested in it.

Sorry for the bump / double post, but this thread is depressingly dead. I need to ask something of you guys; if any of you play the game on PC, I would be grateful if you could send your savegame my way to provide some much-needed data for the save editor, especially if you have a reasonable variety of weapons. Just quote this post for my email address. The save is [Your user]\Documents\TRANSFORMERS_Devastation\GameData.dat

This game is goddamn hard.

It's actually not bad once you get the hang of the dodge system. Be sure to buy the technique/move that widens the window for dodges. I'm playing through the second time with a clean save thanks to PS+ and the first chapter seems the most difficult because you don't have any weapons/tech/moves.

Neff

God this game is such a gift to Transformers fans. I can't believe my favorite studio made a game in one of my favorite genres about one of my favorite incarnations of one of my favorite franchises ever. And every detail is so right, not least the voice actors and visual effects straight from the classic material. And the gameplay turns out to be as awesome and deep as any of Platinum's full budget action games? How does this even happen? Damn.

It's really awesome, and a shame TMNT didn't get the same star treatment.

Honestly, if you'd told me a year ago that PlatinumGames would make a TMNT game and that I'd play it for a few hours then shelve it indefinitely out of boredom, I'd have a) flipped out over the knowledge that PG made a TMNT game and b) called you a liar.

Given the choice though, I probably would have preferred it if TF got the love.

NEO0MJ

Funny to see this thread again. I was replaying it recently and completly forgot
how much of a pain the Devastator/Menasor tag-team is. Had to shamefully use items for this fight.

Kwixotik

Not a huge hack and slash or Transformers fan, but got this game through Playstation Plus and having a lot of fun with it. I tend to fall into the same attack pattern of charge in car + flurry + vehicle attack + three triangle + vehicle attack and repeat. I also have just been using sideswipe with a sword the whole time. What character and weapon type combo do yall find is most fun?

NEO0MJ

Not a huge hack and slash or Transformers fan, but got this game through Playstation Plus and having a lot of fun with it. I tend to fall into the same attack pattern of charge in car + flurry + vehicle attack + three triangle + vehicle attack and repeat. I also have just been using sideswipe with a sword the whole time. What character and weapon type combo do yall find is most fun?

Grimlock is a lot of fun. Switching between Dino and robot mode mid-combo is a lot of fun plus grappling is so cool. Unfortunately his unique abilities become less useful on harder difficulties and require unique tech to power up.
Also, the grappling hook is an awesome weapon.

Grimlock is a lot of fun. Switching between Dino and robot mode mid-combo is a lot of fun plus grappling is so cool. Unfortunately his unique abilities become less useful on harder difficulties and require unique tech to power up.
Also, the grappling hook is an awesome weapon.

My second playthrough (on normal difficulty though), I've had a ton of fun with Grimlock. With a hammer he can burn through enemies really quickly. However his speed in vehicle mode (and the tapping for speed) can make some fights much more difficult (or those that focus on flying enemies. I'm not sure I would recommend him to people having trouble.

Aske

For the love of glob, play as Bumblebee. I focused amost entirely on Optimus until I'd fully leveled him up, but I'm having way more fun with Bumblebee. Mix up your combos with quick shots and you can string so many vehicles attacks together.

Sideswipe and Grimlock are fun too, especially Grimlock for his grappling action. Wheeljack is the only one I don't find especially compelling. I'd have loved it if Ironhide or Ratchet had his spot. Their attacks would be weighted differently to the other car bots, but they wouldn't require much more work than Wheeljack.

If there's any justice in the world, we'll get a sequel to this in which we can play as Decepticons.

Jintor

I tried to go back to this and man the inventory management crap really gums up the works. Every time I go to do a challenge room, get another 10 weapons, need to clear inventory space, can't remember what anything does or the differences...

LionPride

Banned
I tried to go back to this and man the inventory management crap really gums up the works. Every time I go to do a challenge room, get another 10 weapons, need to clear inventory space, can't remember what anything does or the differences...
I honestly find the weapon management stuff really easy. Idk
One of Platinums easiest I think.
Yeah, it's much easier than Revengance, but more difficult than Korra. Easier than Bayo too.

The dodge mechanic fucked me up and so did the parry. I was used to MGR parrying

LionPride

Banned
I mean as someone who last played Transformers like six months ago I have no idea what any of this shit is anymore
Haha, fair. I got it through PS Plus and didn't play it for a bit and got into it once I got sick of Madden being stupid with the patches.
The hard mode in this destroys all of Platinum's other games on first-run-Hard. Talking gettin' 3 shotted by scrub minions.
Maybe if you suck at dodging sure

Mechazawa

Maybe if you suck at dodging sure

...if you suck at dodging, then you're going to get hit in Bayonetta/W101/Revengeance.

And they're all still going to be easier because you can take more hits in those and it doesn't invalidate what I'm saying. Devastation is harder.

Jintor

Does transformers have a bat within equiv?

Been fucking around in challenge rooms on Magnus difficulty, pretty fun. Timer is my worst enemy

LionPride

Banned
...if you suck at dodging, then you're going to get hit in Bayonetta/W101/Revengeance.

And they're all still going to be easier because you can take more hits in those and it doesn't invalidate what I'm saying. Devastation is harder.
It's not at all harder, but okay.

Jintor

i have to say one of the things i really fucking love about transformers devo is that if you hold transform after a weave/vehicle move you just keep truckin'. I especially like the optimus move where you trample someone and then boost off their corpse.

keeps everything flowing so right

Mupod

After the Nier Automata demo I was definitely back in a Platinum mood and it made me realize I got this off PS+ ages ago. I had a lot of time on my hands while stuck at my parents' place waiting for the weather to clear up before driving home. I gotta say I'm super impressed by it, not just by the solid gameplay either. I know it's pandering to me but god dammit getting those original VAs and having the perfect artstyle goes a long way.

I accidentally set it to hard mode before starting mission 2 and was surprised at what a huge jump in difficulty it was, lol. I stubbornly cleared it and then spent a lot of time with Grimlock doing the challenge mode and getting into the combat system, it can be really rough but I guess it expects you to have more gear for this stuff. Anyways Grimlock was my favorite as a kid and I don't see why I wouldn't want to do midair piledrivers on robots with a T-Rex, so I've stuck with him.

I was a bit confused by the loot system at first but I think I have the hang of it now. I suppose I need to work on finding higher rank weapons, I have an A sword at level 10 and that's working fine for me but I could optimize the weapon skills. Also I got lucky on the very first 'tech' item I ever made, it came with dodge invulnerability frames and status resistance. I've made many others since then but none are even remotely as useful.

After the Nier Automata demo I was definitely back in a Platinum mood and it made me realize I got this off PS+ ages ago. I had a lot of time on my hands while stuck at my parents' place waiting for the weather to clear up before driving home. I gotta say I'm super impressed by it, not just by the solid gameplay either. I know it's pandering to me but god dammit getting those original VAs and having the perfect artstyle goes a long way.

I accidentally set it to hard mode before starting mission 2 and was surprised at what a huge jump in difficulty it was, lol. I stubbornly cleared it and then spent a lot of time with Grimlock doing the challenge mode and getting into the combat system, it can be really rough but I guess it expects you to have more gear for this stuff. Anyways Grimlock was my favorite as a kid and I don't see why I wouldn't want to do midair piledrivers on robots with a T-Rex, so I've stuck with him.

I was a bit confused by the loot system at first but I think I have the hang of it now. I suppose I need to work on finding higher rank weapons, I have an A sword at level 10 and that's working fine for me but I could optimize the weapon skills. Also I got lucky on the very first 'tech' item I ever made, it came with dodge invulnerability frames and status resistance. I've made many others since then but none are even remotely as useful.

Hard indeed expects you to have loot from Normal, but I guess once you get some weapons and enemies stop taking forever to kill, you're good. :)

Skills are passed via fusing two weapons, which destroys one of them (let's call it the "ingredient" weapon) but gives experience to the other ("base"). This experience allows the base weapon to level up and improve its stats. Different weapon grades (D, C, B, A, S, SS) have progressively higher level caps.

Mupod

Hard indeed expects you to have loot from Normal, but I guess once you get some weapons and enemies stop taking forever to kill, you're good. :)

Skills are passed via fusing two weapons, which destroys one of them (let's call it the "ingredient" weapon) but gives experience to the other ("base"). This experience allows the base weapon to level up and improve its stats. Different weapon grades (D, C, B, A, S, SS) have progressively higher level caps.

I've noticed that the A sword is vastly more expensive to level than the C hammer I have as well. Didn't know it could go up to SS.

I won't worry too much about farming and just play through on normal for now.

LionPride

Banned
It seems hard at first if you start on hard and try to push through without changing gear/upgrading, the better weapons eventually make everything a complete cakewalk.

Got a 2,500 damage hammer and a 2,000 damage sword along with a 1,500 damage rifle and a 900 damage blaster. Grinding on hard and that's my loadout for Optimus while I play the entire game with him. Chapter 1 ain't even fair

I've noticed that the A sword is vastly more expensive to level than the C hammer I have as well.

Yes indeed, which is why I usually merge together a bunch of C / B weapons until they're cap level, then merge that into my SS weapons. You get charged per merge, and the amount of experience gained is proportional to the amount of experience the ingredient weapon itself had.

Didn't know it could go up to SS.

SS weapons drop in the highest difficulties, and are relatively rare even then. One thing I wanted to make clear is that weapon quality is fixed, i.e. it's not like some gacha games where leveling them up to cap level allows you to start on level 1 of the next quality.

I won't worry too much about farming and just play through on normal for now.

Well, you've already gone through the biggest hurdle that is getting weapons that actually damage enemies, might as well continue on hard (Commander). Particularly because there are two more difficulties that you unlock after Commander, and those are IMHO where the game truly shines. Playing through Soldier won't unlock much.

Mechazawa

Actually yeah, with some of the upgrades it's not as hard but you can get overwhelmed insanely quickly since there are no invincibility frames on hit.

The enemies on Hard also have insane amounts of health for a fresh character. Another thing that Makes Devastation wipe the floor with Platinum's other Hard modes.

That's def one thing I forgot to mention that others in here covered.

LionPride

Banned
The enemies on Hard also have insane amounts of health for a fresh character. Another thing that Makes Devastation wipe the floor with Platinum's other Hard modes.

Okay, but with a game that has a gear system you probably shouldn't start on Hard

It seems hard at first if you start on hard and try to push through without changing gear/upgrading, the better weapons eventually make everything a complete cakewalk.

Yeah pretty much. Other Platinum games seem to progress in difficulty alongside the protagonist/playable character. But Transformers is different. I think this is because this game involves item drops so you have to wait for the powerful items to drop to progress whereas in games like Bayonetta, the character gets the items via story events.

So is there any way for me to play this above 1080p if my native resolution is 3440x1440?

From what I understand, after 1080p the game strangely only supports 4k if your screen is natively 4k. Is this correct? If I can't play above 1080p on my screen I'm just gonna return it as 1080p looks terrible...

Freddo

The game is now on sale on both Steam and the EU PS Store. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but it seems to me it might be delisted soon just like Activision did with some other licensed games about a month ago (Turtles & Spider-Man).

Top Bottom