• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation |OT| Rising in Disguise

Teknoman

What a grindfest. As a G1 lover and fan of Bayo, I thought Devastation would be right up my alley, but I immediately hit a brick wall in the form of the first Devastator fight on "hard". He's just a giant damage sponge.

Switched to normal and it's all a cakewalk. But then I'm supposed to manually combine all this junk loot and play a stupid credit-eating mini game for upgrades? And characters have to level up as well? Ugh. This is the shittiest possible way to pad game length. I expected better from Platinum.

I'd return Devastation on Steam, but I left it paused for dinner and my playtime counter is at 3 hours. :/

Devastator actually doesnt absorb that much damage. Just aim for his face with blasters until you run out of energy, combo the hell out of him until he staggers, then hit him in the face with strong attacks. You can also use those mountains of rubble he makes to double jump and smash his face. When he kneels weakened, keep hard attacking his face to knock him off his feet.

Also buying stuff/ leveling is standard for Platinum isnt it? Hell, in Wonderful 101 you have to buy a dodge attack and other stuff that should be default until it clicks.

At any rate, game is beautiful, sounds great, and has a combat system that keeps pushing me to do more.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Devastator actually doesnt absorb that much damage. Just aim for his face with blasters until you run out of energy, combo the hell out of him until he staggers, then hit him in the face with strong attacks. You can also use those mountains of rubble he makes to double jump and smash his face. When he kneels weakened, keep hard attacking his face to knock him off his feet.

Also buying stuff/ leveling is standard for Platinum isnt it? Hell, in Wonderful 101 you have to buy a dodge attack and other stuff that should be default until it clicks.

At any rate, game is beautiful, sounds great, and has a combat system that keeps pushing me to do more.

I don't think he's complaining about buying moves. It's the whole feeding junk to other junk that he doesn't like. And I have to agree. That level of loot management is a big turnoff in an otherwise great character action game.

Magnus

I love tight, hard-hitting, stylish combat.

I dig Transformers quite a bunch.

I LOVE fuckin metal music, especially when games use it well.

Do I need this game?

Do I need this game?

Yes!

This game is really quite underrated. I actually cried tears of joy as playing this game reminded me of my first experience with Transformers growing up.

KingV

I don't think he's complaining about buying moves. It's the whole feeding junk to other junk that he doesn't like. And I have to agree. That level of loot management is a big turnoff in an otherwise great character action game.

I would agree. I had my save get corrupted and had to restart. Devastator is quite difficult on hard, from scratch. The default weapons are just very very weak, and you don't have much in the way of HP or weapons to slug it out without being consistently perfect.

Monocle

Just came here to post this! Great stuff.

That Constructicon fight is ridiculous on Prime. Much much harder than Saur makes it look. They are fast.

Do I need this game?
Sounds like this game was pretty much made for you. I'd grab it ASAP.

Andyliini

Just bought the game on sale for 21€ for Xbone. Don't really care for Transformers, but Platinum Games is one of my favorite developers, so I thought this one was a bargain enough, even though I never got around to finishing The Legend of Korra.

Saur calling this game Platinum's greatest system is some new level shit. If 2014 me read about all this a year ago he would think he was reading a wish-fulfillment fanfiction. :D

That Constructicon fight is ridiculous on Prime. Much much harder than Saur makes it look. They are fast.

No shit. They're not even close to the toughest challenge on Prime, though. Any of them that have Starscream and another boss is a nightmare. It's funny how they perfectly captured Starscream's essence in gameplay: nearly harmless when alone, backstabbing son of a scraplet when you lose sight of him.

I gotta get around to finishing some more Prime challenges and cropping and uploading some of the ones I've already recorded, before I lose my edge. Bloodborne expansion just hit, so I nearly stopped playing this for now.

Do I need this game?

How the hell did you even survive so far without buying it?

Bookman

This game was very cheap during Black Friday. I have never seen the Transformers (did not have cable as a kid) like robots, however ( who doesent)and im a big platinum games fan. Really like bayobetta and watchacallit "over the top action adv combo game"

As a none transformer fan, what should I expect from this game?

Tizoc

This game was very cheap during Black Friday. I have never seen the Transformers (did not have cable as a kid) like robots, however ( who doesent)and im a big platinum games fan. Really like bayobetta and watchacallit "over the top action adv combo game"

Great music, quality Platinum action, short but replayable main campaign, and a bunch of extra challenges to test your skills with.

Llyranor

If you like Bayonetta and other "over the top action adv combo game"(character action games :p), I would highly highly recommend this. I have no particular allegience to Transformers, but as a huge Platinum fan this is my GOTY.

Bishop89

cant believe how great this game is.

The combat and controls are just so satisfying.

Also helps I loved G1 transformers.

Platinum are just so amazing.

I have only just had my first encounter with megatron, but I am really loving this.

Copy/Paste environments are not going to bother me.

Bishop89

Couple questions.

1. can you re-obtain a weapon which you used to synthesize with another?

2. does every weapon 'level up?' or are those levels next to them just to show how powerful it is?

Should I keep Primes Axe, or no point?

NEO0MJ

Couple questions.

2. does every weapon 'level up?' or are those levels next to them just to show how powerful it is?

1-yes

2-yes, but you can only level then up as high as a rank allows.

3-No point to keeping it, really.

Teknoman

Man going up against Devastator part 2 as Bumblebee on Hard mode is kinda rough. Guy just hit serious mode and I got stomped.

Just like all other stylish action games, it still seems like same size boss battles are the most fun. Are there any crazy QTE sequences or boss finish cutscenes?

Basically this is a fighting game with no world to explore, right?

Its a straight up action game, so maybe think classic SNES/Genesis beat em ups with abit of stage traversal on the side in 3D.

Markoman

Bought this game yesterday for 25€ on PSN. What a pleasant surprise!!! Or not...because in Platinum you can trust!!! I hope their next new title mixes shooting and fighting even more.
They should do a game with all mechanics from their previous games: combine the evasion mechanic from Bayonetta with the close up cutting in MGR and spice it up with Vanquishs shooting and sliding.

Couple questions.

Extended answers:

1) You can get any weapon again as a random drop, including starting / DLC weapons, and they'll be better the higher the difficulty they dropped in. So you can safely sell your starting weapons.
2) Weapons level up not from using them, but by fusing with another weapon. They gain experience, which when filled levels them up (that's why sometimes you don't see a level/stat increase when fusing weapons, the exp bar is simply not filled yet). Each weapon's max level depends on its rank, with D, C, B, A, S and SS being 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 (unsure right now about A).
Also, fusing costs are more expensive with rank, with SS being pretty darn expensive, so what I do is fuse a B weapon until it reaches level 20, then feed it to the SS weapon, rinse and repeat.
3) See 1) :)

Basically this is a fighting game with no world to explore, right?

It does have traversable stages, with even secrets and side missions, but don't expect some sprawling wilderness. If you've played Bayonetta / DMC games, it's something like that.

Teknoman

Extended answers:

1) You can get any weapon again as a random drop, including starting / DLC weapons, and they'll be better the higher the difficulty they dropped in. So you can safely sell your starting weapons.
2) Weapons level up not from using them, but by fusing with another weapon. They gain experience, which when filled levels them up (that's why sometimes you don't see a level/stat increase when fusing weapons, the exp bar is simply not filled yet). Each weapon's max level depends on its rank, with D, C, B, A, S and SS being 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 (unsure right now about A).
Also, fusing costs are more expensive with rank, with SS being pretty darn expensive, so what I do is fuse a B weapon until it reaches level 20, then feed it to the SS weapon, rinse and repeat.
3) See 1) :)

It does have traversable stages, with even secrets and side missions, but don't expect some sprawling wilderness. If you've played Bayonetta / DMC games, it's something like that.

Wait so weapons only level up if fused with a weapon that has a full exp bar?

Monocle

Wait so weapons only level up if fused with a weapon that has a full exp bar?
No, any weapon will add to another's exp bar. The higher the level of the weapon you're sacrificing, the more it will fill the bar of the one you're keeping. Weltall Zero was saying that when your base weapon doesn't gain a level from a fusion, it's because the weapon you merged into it didn't add enough exp to cause a level up.

NEO0MJ

No, any weapon will add to another's exp bar. The higher the level of the weapon you're sacrificing, the more it will fill the bar of the one you're keeping. Weltall Zero was saying that when your base weapon doesn't gain a level from a fusion, it's because the weapon you merged into it didn't add enough exp to cause a level up.

Either that, or it reached the level cap.

Mrcapcom

Brought this Digitally during PSN Sale OMG I'm having so much fun. The upgrading part is a bit tidious but I'll get to it. The Devestator battle was awesome I went in as Bumblebee and got my butt handed to me I switched to Optimus and pwned

NEO0MJ

Brought this Digitally during PSN Sale OMG I'm having so much fun. The upgrading part is a bit tidious but I'll get to it. The Devestator battle was awesome I went in as Bumblebee and got my butt handed to me I switched to Optimus and pwned

Bumblebee is super strong, you just gotta use his slide/back-attack more.

Intel_89

I just beat the game, it's one of the best budget games I've played to date. The environments felt samey and the ending was very anti-climatic but it was really fun to play through. The visuals despite not being top tier look nice and are somewhat polished, the sound design and music are fantastic and the combat is pure Platinum bliss. Can't wait for TMNT.

Llyranor

I just beat the game, it's one of the best budget games I've played to date. The environments felt samey and the ending was very anti-climatic but it was really fun to play through. The visuals despite not being top tier look nice and are somewhat polished, the sound design and music are fantastic and the combat is pure Platinum bliss. Can't wait for TMNT.
Now enjoy the Challenges!

F-Pina

Yo where is there a 50% discount for this game? Been looking to buy it for a while now, if there are any slick Cyber Monday deals for it I'll jump onboard.

Got it on PSN during the Black Friday days.
Finished on Commander difficulty. The Magnus (Very Hard) is a very high jump in difficulty! Jeebus! But don't want to grind for weapons and XP so I will probably leave the game as it is and come back later for the challenges for some extra fun.

One of the best action games of the year for me. Awesome surprise.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The level structure of this game confuses me.

I want to get the trophies for playing each level with each character but I don't really know where one level ends and mother begins.

Intel_89

Kind of a tangent but can someone explain me why Legend of Korra was considered a bad game by many and will I be able to enjoy it considering how much I enjoyed Devastation?

Tizoc

Kind of a tangent but can someone explain me why Legend of Korra was considered a bad game by many and will I be able to enjoy it considering how much I enjoyed Devastation?

Hmmm
The game outside of it's combat has some 'endless runner' type segments.
They're not THAT bad but I didn't find them too detering.
It has a nice combat system and the visuals hold up imo.

If anything beat it first on Easy so you can get a handle of it then replay on Hard or higher.

Llyranor

Korra's core combat is good. There's just not much of a game surrounding it. Devastation, even if rushed/budget, is way way better content-wise (and some would say Devastation is already lacking in content).

Fhtagn

I am looking forward to digging into this game soon; I've only spent about 15 minutes with it so far but the color scheme and controls felt very good.

I just platinum'ed Dark Souls 2 SOTFS so I was looking through my trophies and noticed that the trophies for Transformers Devastation are almost all hilariously rare. Only a couple had more than a 20% rate and lots were at low single digits. Are they absurdly hard to get because of gameplay difficulty or are a lot of them grindy? I don't usually care much about trophies but seeing such rarity across the board caught my attention.

I am looking forward to digging into this game soon; I've only spent about 15 minutes with it so far but the color scheme and controls felt very good.

I just platinum'ed Dark Souls 2 SOTFS so I was looking through my trophies and noticed that the trophies for Transformers Devastation are almost all hilariously rare. Only a couple had more than a 20% rate and lots were at low single digits. Are they absurdly hard to get because of gameplay difficulty or are a lot of them grindy? I don't usually care much about trophies but seeing such rarity across the board caught my attention.

The only difficult-ish trophy imo is the one for completing every chapter on commander (hard mode) with the highest rank, though most chapters can be cheesed. There's only a small handful of problem spots you have to deal with legit.

Everything else just takes time. My total playtime for the platinum was around 30 hours, but only because you have to run through the game five times (one for each character) and complete all challenges (there's 50 in total). The two hardest difficulties aren't required, though they give better loot which can make some of the other trophies easier.

Top Bottom