• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to cook with (some) Raw Ingrediants for the first time, am I already dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Guys thank you.

qcgRpym.jpg

Lemon Butter sauce is awesome. Presentation is as good as it was gunna get. I forgot the lemon in the end. I gave the best shaped chips to her and I got mush instead, but it tastes really. She loves it. Especially the Salmon, but you know, all I did was fry that.

b8cMbzS.jpg

TKLITti.jpg

We don't have wine glasses here lol.

This room we are only staying in shortly (like a week or so) so that's why my equipment was so bad.

llUaBev.jpg

I said I was a good cook.

She replied... すごいね。。。

Okay so maybe the salad is shit but at least the few chips that came out right tasted nice.

We are now watching Monster's Inc as it is her first time. Yeah she is 31, but she loves them cartoons. 😄

THANK YOU GAF

I was about to give up!

Oh man this has been one of the best threads. You have to show her this when you're done apologizing for the fries. And congrats dude! Looks pretty damn good after all that! I hope she appreciates the effort you put in, considering how apprehensive you were at first. Good job!!!

Slavik81

Just in case you're not kidding, you can eat raw potatoes all day and be fine :).
Just don't eat the shoots. The potato plant is part of the nightshade family. Most of the plant is poisonous. As you say, the actual potato itself is fine (even raw), but don't eat the tendrils if it starts growing.

Izuna

Banned
Oh man this has been one of the best threads. You have to show her this when you're done apologizing for the fries. And congrats dude! Looks pretty damn good after all that! I hope she appreciates the effort you put in, considering how apprehensive you were at first. Good job!!!

It was lovely to hear her, mouth full, say it was tasty. I showed her what the potatoes looked like on my plate and she kinda laughed.

But every dinner is a starter for the desert huh? Luckily this time, it's just the microwave. Cold pie, hot custard. ��

I wanna try this again properly but I wanna make the main part challenging too.

So I can barely make whatever this dish is.
I can make Green Thai Curry, Spaghetti Bog., and Cottage Pie (with help).

My cooking resume is not Dad material yet, but thank you GAF!

I would take her to his signature restaurant again instead if it weren't fucking impossible to get a reservation.

Plus the foie gras was shit. (But then again it all is).

Jintor

By the way, what's 'to plate up'? 盛る? 供する? おめでとうございます! 料理することはちょっと難しだけど、楽しかったね?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Honestly mate, looks like a very edible meal, good job. Just remember the damn onions next time.

Haha that's great, OP. Glad it turned out OK. Cooking is amazing once you get the hang of it and you will never stop learning. I need to do better and cook more often. And yeah, your significant other will love you for it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
OP cooking isn't too difficult. Follow some recipes and when you are more comfortable with different ingredients don't be afraid to experiment.

It was lovely to hear her, mouth full, say it was tasty. I showed her what the potatoes looked like on my plate and she kinda laughed.

But every dinner is a starter for the desert huh? Luckily this time, it's just the microwave. Cold pie, hot custard. ��

I wanna try this again properly but I wanna make the main part challenging too.

So I can barely make whatever this dish is.
I can make Green Thai Curry, Spaghetti Bog., and Cottage Pie (with help).

My cooking resume is not Dad material yet, but thank you GAF!

I would take her to his signature restaurant again instead if it weren't fucking impossible to get a reservation.

Plus the foie gras was shit. (But then again it all is).
seriously though, what you cooked up looks juicy and edible, the potatoes could have been broiled at the end to make them crispy

but all in all good job, m8

gruenel

Just use a recipe next time OP.

You'll learn to cook much faster that way. No trial & error.

GJ considering the circumstances though.

Izuna

Banned
By the way, what's 'to plate up'? 盛る? 供する? おめでとうございます! 料理することはちょっと難しだけど、楽しかったね?

I have no idea what you are talking about, and neither does my partner...

No one ever said plate up etc...

Quote the post for me.
----

Thanks guys. The flavour was fine honestly, outside of the tomatoes which honestly, I will never buy ever again. Texture of the chips were so bad though, I am going over this thread so many times and next time, I'll watch a video and read a guide.

I've watched my partner cook so many things so at least I can stop myself overcooking or undercooking something, but homemade chips weren't something she has done herself.

I'm sure she'd do a much better job but at the end of the day, she has an app on her phone for recipes and always uses it.

Whatever I would have made without help would have been completely rubbish lol.

meow

just read through this thread in one go, really entertaining.

I give OP an A for heart and effort and a C+ for execution haha. :) Next time just follow a recipe or watch some videos. Anything a complete beginner could hope to cook has already been worked through by someone else and it's a good way to learn and get a feel for things.

Brakke

Banned
Bro you said they taste like mashed potatoes why didn't you just mash them lol. You're off recipe anyway! Call an audible!

Jintor

by the by, how did you end up cooking the salmon? Not sure if you mentioned it - I assume pan-fried? I've taken to poaching salmon these days, comes out more reliably.

Izuna

Banned
Someone wanted you to show the dishes 'plated up' last page

準備できた。。。maybe

Just he wanted to see it on the plate haha.

You won't buy that brand again or tomatoes in general?

That brand. They were loose at the local Sainsbury's. They didn't taste fully ripe. I tried to save money by not getting the pack.

Izuna

Banned
by the by, how did you end up cooking the salmon? Not sure if you mentioned it - I assume pan-fried? I've taken to poaching salmon these days, comes out more reliably.

Haaaaaaah

I put the basil on the Salmon before cooking, and put a tiny bit of lemon juice on the top (really tiny amount).

I put a spoon of butter in the pan, once it melted I popped the Salmon in (it's skin on the bottom).

I kept it on medium heat and waited until say, 5-7 minutes later?

Then I just turned them over on the fire to cook just the outside of the edges and the top. Once they appeared cooked (inside wasn't) I left it with the skin down. Then I kept a plate/the thing I posted above and kept it there on low heat.

The idea was that the skin may or may not burn, but the you'd be able to taste the added flavour even in the middle. This is pseudo-science, no one has taught me this, I'm just assuming that is what happens.

Then after it was done, I put it on the plate and made sure it didn't have too much of the butter or whatever dripping.

I cleaned the pan, and dried it.

I put two table spoons of butter and then put in say, a teaspoon of lemon inside? I threw the lemon piece in because fuck it and left it on high heat until I felt it was ready, then pour only a bit over the top of the Salmon and a little on the side of the plate.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Who the fuck boils than fries to make chips (fry's).

The correct method is this:

Cut potatoes into fries, then put in ice water for at least 30 mins.

heat oil to 280f.. cook 6 to 8 mins, they will from opaque to semi-transparent.

Let rest at least 15 mins.. I'd do longer.

heat oil to 375f.. cook for 2 to 3 mins until crispy brown.

If you have it, use duck fat.. if not use peanut oil.. if you don't have that, then.. fuck right off and get some duck fat or peanut oil.

That's how you get the perfect pillowy middle with the crispy outside. Remember, fast food fries are all double fried.. it's just the first fry happened at the factory then they were froze.. double fry is the only way to get the perfect inside and outside.

Boiling first is no where near as good.

NO they're done for do not put them in the oven unless you want to make tatter tots.

They can be saved in the oven! Par boil cubed potato, put in baking tray, splash of Olive Oil. Chopped Garlic, some baby tomatoes and some cubed Feta Cheese. Bake for 30-40 or until browned then add some fresh torn basil. Chopped fried Bacon optional. Lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom