• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to cook with (some) Raw Ingrediants for the first time, am I already dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikodemos

Those don't look like enough potatoes for a proper amount of mash to me. Keeping them close to their original shape adds extra amounts of volume and makes it seem like there's 'more' of them.

Brother skip the boiling part next time. Just dice up some tatoes and toss them on a greased up tinfoil sheet. Bake at 425-450 for like 45min-hr at the absolute most. Season b4 hand with oil and random spices. Constantly toss

Izuna

Banned
Okay so...

I lost maybe 30% of my yield but that's okay, it's enough left over.

I ate all the broken bits and it tastes like really good mashed potato. But at the end of the day, that isn't the assignment.

I placed them on an oven tray, dried them. Now I salted them a little, spread out, and put a tiny bit of olive oil over them.

Hopefully they come out crispy.

Once the oven is preheated I will pop them in at 175 and start on my Salmon after about 10 minutes.

Sound... not poisonous?

She would be livid. It's the only part of this meal she requested... =(

All I gotta do is beat McDonald's

Hmm... now this is going to be tough. If this is truly your mission, you might need to run down to the store really fast and start over with those fries. Or do like we do when we don't catch any fish, go get some fries from somewhere you know is good. Either way, you're leaving the house if you want to eat decent potatoes tonight.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Pan fried salmon looks so plain in this pic:
XSCN3Uu.jpg

Recipe

This is what OP should be making:
MXfHEet.jpg

Recipe

Okay so...

I ate all the broken bits and it tastes like really good mashed potato. But at the end of the day, that isn't the assignment.

I placed them on an oven tray, dried them. Now I salted them a little, spread out, and put a tiny bit of olive oil over them.

Once the oven is preheated I will pop them in at 175 and start on my Salmon after about 10 minutes.

Sound... not poisonous?

NO. You need to make sure the olive oil is on all sides of the potatoes, otherwise they are just going to to stick to the pan and be an even bigger mess. Also, you should have your oven at 200 C at least.

Izuna

Banned
Pan fried salmon looks so plain in this pic:
XSCN3Uu.jpg

Recipe

Bruv I ain't THAT much of a scrub. It may taste like shit but at least it will look like I made an effort lol.

NO. You need to make sure the olive oil is on all sides of the potatoes, otherwise they are just going to to stick to the pan and be an even bigger mess. Also, you should have your oven at 200 C at least.

OH OKAY!

That was close. I did the olive oil part fine but, I set it to 200.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
She would be livid. It's the only part of this meal she requested... =(

All I gotta do is beat McDonald's

Yeah... then just winging it without a recipe (or experience) was extremely unwise.

If you refry them they'll turn to shit.

Since you are against mashed potatoes, I would recommend broiling those potatoes to try and crisp them up. Just make sure you keep an eye on them if you turn on the broiler or you are going to burn them...

xxracerxx

Since you are against mashed potatoes, I would recommend broiling those potatoes to try and crisp them up; I don't think 175 is going to cut it. Just make sure you keep an eye on them if you turn on the broiler or you are going to burn them...

He is talking Celsius here, just in case you didn't know.

poncle

For salmon, or fish and meat in general, just look behind the packaging after you open it. There are cooking instructions there. Just follow them to cook anything safely.

That basil is quite useless, will actually give a weird flavour to the food, if any flavour at all.
Fresh basil is good with tomatoes, but for salmon dill is way better. Parsley is not bad either. Just don't pick the dried ones, they don't add anything to the dish.

Frying is a pain, roasting is way easier. Cut potatoes,
wash until water runs clean, boil for 3-4 minutes, dry,
put into an oily oven pan, sprinkle oil on top, cook at 200c for 60 minutes (180 for fan ovens).
Turn over after 30 minutes. 10 minutes before they're ready: add salt, and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and oregano, switch on the grill function if available.
. Keep an eye on them while they cook the first time, every oven is slightly different.
Optional steps under spoiler tags.

Source: stereotype Italian in London

He is talking Celsius here, just in case you didn't know.

Yeah, I just caught that.

Future tips OP: If your partner can cook, start learning by helping her to prepare some meals. Work on learning how to prepare a few different dishes to get the basic techniques down. Once you get comfortable with that, then you can try to wing it like you did tonight. Good luck.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Don't worry op. Remember, the most important ingredient in cooking is love. Fill it with all your love! And focus on the salmon, this time with a help of a recipe. For the salmon, i think my only tips is to cook in low heat and make sure each side of the meat turn white halfway before flipping them

Risible

Okay so...

Sound... not poisonous?

Just in case you're not kidding, you can eat raw potatoes all day and be fine :).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You are missing onions everything is going wrong.

Find some onions quick then I will tell you what to do next.

Izuna

Banned
You are missing onions everything is going wrong.

Find some onions quick then I will tell you what to do next.

I have onions... But it's too late.

Salmon looks great at least.

I need the get the chips ready, then I will transfer the salmon to a place, the chips, dress the place a little...

THEN I need to make a little lemon butter asap and pour it on top.

Right now I'm gunna get the cutlery and Champagne ready.

MikeDip

I need the get the chips ready, then I will transfer the salmon to a place, the chips, dress the place a little...

Dice up an onion quick it's not too late.

xxracerxx

What about the "salad?"

Also, have the lemon butter on the side in case she doesn't want as much as you on her salmon.

MikeDip

What about the "salad?"

Also, have the lemon butter on the side in case she doesn't want as much as you on her salmon.

He has olive oil and/or vinegar for the salad right? I checked but am not seeing it.

Also how goes the onion?

So the potatoes, cut from raw, I put them in a frying pan and fried very slightly with olive oil and now they are boiling in water (that has a little salt and some olive oil put in). I figure it will take like 30 minutes before I should start on the salmon right?
Wrong way round - par-boil the potatoes for 8 mins so they're only half cooked, drain and shake them lightly in the pan to fluff the edges (makes them crispy when fried/baked) then gently fry on very low heat or just stick them in the oven with a little oil, garlic, rosemary salt, pepper until done. 30 mins is way too long for boiling they will be water-logged and falling apart with no flavour.

Izuna

Banned
I hope you're planning on telling your gf about what the hell you did to those potatoes. This is hilarious as fuck.

So against advice, it seems that I fucked up so hard.

First of all, they are like 50% done. They will be crispy. But my yield is fucking tiny.

I turned them over, some more broke. But at least it tastes so good.

My Salmon is essentially done, I'm going to let it sit on low fire while I sort out the salad.

MikeDip

Why does your potato yield keep shrinking where are they going????

Izuna

Banned
Your guess is as good as mine. He could do it like the American south and just smother all of it in ranch dressing. Bleh.

Just olive oil. She doesn't usually put dressing on when we are at home because I don't like it. She's good without it.

Don't keep cooking your salmon. Take it off the heat and cover it with a bit of tin foil.

It is being pan fried though. And I don't have tinfoil.

MikeDip

Mate a salad vinaigrette needs fat and acid, not just fat. Just olive oil isn't enough. Throw in some vinegar or squeeze in some lemon!

This is also where onion could help spice up your boring salad!! Where is that diced onion we discussed?

xxracerxx

Mate a salad vinaigrette needs fat and acid, not just fat. Just olive oil isn't enough. Throw in some vinegar or squeeze in some lemon!

Add a little pepper and salt, baby you got a dressing going.

One of my favorite summer salads is just arugula (a real green, not iceberg), olive oil, lemon, salt & pepper. Simple and delicious.

MC Safety

Cooking by committee is always a good idea.

Find a good recipe and stick to it. It will also help if you're attending to the food and not scanning this thread every 10 seconds for someone else's new advice.

Izuna

Banned
z8U6C4L.jpg

I will put a slice of the lemon on the side for her the squeeze. I realise now I should have had more than one lemon for this but, I'll do with what I got.

Kk13AlV.jpg

This thing smells so good. I know it is unorthodox how I am preparing this, but I think I got it.

--

By the time I am done with the cutlery and finishing up thinking about my apology to her, I'm going to fucking take those potatoes chip thingies out. They suck anyway, no use ruining the rest of the meal with it.

At least we have a good Apple Pie and Crumble afterwards huh.

xxracerxx

Cooking by committee is always a good idea.

Find a good recipe and stick to it. It will also help if you're attending to the food and not scanning this thread every 10 seconds for someone else's new advice.

Hey man, he didn't want to use a recipe. We are the emergency backup.

MikeDip

Add a little pepper and salt, baby you got a dressing going.

One of my favorite summer salads is just arugula (a real green, not iceberg), olive oil, lemon, salt & pepper. Simple and delicious.

Yes this is good. This is salad. What he is making is just some wet fatty vegetables in a bowl :(

Dear OP please add something acidic to your salad. Do the lemon.

Would you really need to apologize to your girlfriend for doing something nice for her but not doing it nice enough? That seems kinda crazy.

nomster

If you think it makes sense to fry something prior to boiling it I have some news for you - your partner already knows damn well that you can't cook without a recipe. They're bracing for impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom