• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Calibration tip, RGB Limited VS Full

LostDonkey

When using HDR you can't change the Black Level in your TV . It's grey out. Plus there are more and more HDR compatible games coming every month, so I think it doesn't matter anymore. Just leave it at Auto, that's my personal opinion and it will be fine.

Hmmm I can on mine.

My PC is running Forza Horizon 4, In HDR as displayed by the info box, and I have the choice of Auto, low or High.

xion4360

Hmmm I can on mine.

My PC is running Forza Horizon 4, In HDR as displayed by the info box, and I have the choice of Auto, low or High.

Yes you can change it. It depends on the bandwidth you have available in HDMI but if there is no HDMI involved, such as on a laptop computer then bandwidth is not an issue and you could technically do 4K HDR 120 htz in full range RGB lol

On PS4 pro you can set it to 1080P and get RGB full HDR (it wont look any different aside from 1080p)

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is there a way to force yuv20, on one x? On pro you can pick which so the banding doesn't happen but I havent figured out a way on one x.

xion4360

Is there a way to force yuv20, on one x? On pro you can pick which so the banding doesn't happen but I havent figured out a way on one x.

do you have a 10 bit panel or 8 bit? what do you mean you get banding on pro with RGB? if you have a 10 bit panel set your pro to limited and you should get no banding. you can force YCC420 on one X by disabling allow YCC422 but it only goes on in HDR. SDR always puts out RGB. Set it to standard and 10 bit.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
do you have a 10 bit panel or 8 bit? what do you mean you get banding on pro with RGB? if you have a 10 bit panel set your pro to limited and you should get no banding. you can force YCC420 on one X by disabling allow YCC422 but it only goes on in HDR. SDR always puts out RGB. Set it to standard and 10 bit.

When I played Horizon there was noticable banding around the sub(other games as well but this was most noticeable)

When checking the video settings it had reverted to Auto for some reason which did RGB Full when in HDR. Switching to Yuv20 corrected the banding.

On one X, I get banding in some titles. fF15 and Shadow of the Tomb raider being very bad with banding. I messed around with settings but couldn't get it to not band.

I have an LG Oled B7.

TLZ

Banned
In the case your TV supports full, then yes.
Brightness in TVs is an offset that moves all colors up and down in gray scale with the possibility of moving colors below the minimum black the TV can display. And all those colors below the minimum will be lost, and you get the crush.
Align the offset correctly with the pattern we posted from Lagom, and you are good to go.
I've actually reverted to what I had before. I did the lagom thing perfectly, but when I put on DQ XI again, the completely black screens between loading areas weren't pure black anymore (I have an Oled). So I'm not sure this website's settings are correct.

xion4360

When I played Horizon there was noticable banding around the sub(other games as well but this was most noticeable)

When checking the video settings it had reverted to Auto for some reason which did RGB Full when in HDR. Switching to Yuv20 corrected the banding.

On one X, I get banding in some titles. fF15 and Shadow of the Tomb raider being very bad with banding. I messed around with settings but couldn't get it to not band.

I have an LG Oled B7.

Thats weird and this is with HDR on right? so yea try unchecking allow YCC422

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thats weird and this is with HDR on right? so yea try unchecking allow YCC422

Correct HDR game mode.

I have messed with that setting and it doesn't seem to do anything on my set. I wonder if it's a game by game basis. I never notice banding on sone games like horizon 4.

xion4360

So 420 is better than 422 to eradicate banding?

apparently some tvs have a problem where they dont properly support 422, so HDR at 422 doesnt work, thats why MS gives you the option to turn it off and use 420. as far as banding? HDR is 10 bit so there shouldnt be much if any banding. If your seeing banding in HDR on your set then something is going on.

xion4360

I wanted to show what I mean by Limited producing less banding. If you have a 10 bit panel setting your console to limited will give you less banding in SDR. this is using Dissidia FFNT a game that has TERRIBLE HDR support so you want to play it in SDR.

RGB full

RGB limited

It might be hard to tell for some but it should be easy to spot if you know what banding is. On the One X a game that I really noticed the same level of banding with RGB full is Mafia 3, and that game has the same terrible HDR as Dissidia. So maybe those games that have HDR support might have problems when you convert them to full range RGB, because others like DQ11 that dont have HDR support at all look basically the same in full or limited. Ultimately its best to leave it in limited to ensure that everything looks correct always.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I wanted to show what I mean by Limited producing less banding. If you have a 10 bit panel setting your console to limited will give you less banding in SDR. this is using Dissidia FFNT a game that has TERRIBLE HDR support so you want to play it in SDR.

RGB full

RGB limited

It might be hard to tell for some but it should be easy to spot if you know what banding is. On the One X a game that I really noticed the same level of banding with RGB full is Mafia 3, and that game has the same terrible HDR as Dissidia. So maybe those games that have HDR support might have problems when you convert them to full range RGB, because others like DQ11 that dont have HDR support at all look basically the same in full or limited. Ultimately its best to leave it in limited to ensure that everything looks correct always.

Hmm.. I'm seeing banding in both images actually, if I'm understanding what banding is.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Damage control here are the facts:
Most modern TVs support full 8-bit RGB. None support 10-bit RGB due to HDMI limitations, which is why for HDR YUV 4:2:2 is better than RGB

In othewords, if you try to force RGB with HDR you will only get 8-bit color.
I am quoting my post from earlier for those who didn’t read it.

Whitecrow

Banned
I've actually reverted to what I had before. I did the lagom thing perfectly, but when I put on DQ XI again, the completely black screens between loading areas weren't pure black anymore (I have an Oled). So I'm not sure this website's settings are correct.

I think those tests for some reason doesnt work with oled¿?
The laptop at my office crushes it also, while displaying everything else corretly.

Maybe brightness settings on oled doesnt work like on LCDs, dunno.

EDIT
I solved it decreasing the contrast and increasing the brightness.
try increasing the brightness until you see all of them and then decreasing the contrast to normal and comfortable levels.

*pics*

I've been doing some more testing yesterday, with a Samsung j6300.

As long as you align reference black with the minimum black the TV can output, the image seems to be almost identical.
And while I quite liked the limited with its black at TVs 16 level, because at that brightness colors seemed more natural and less saturated, I dont think that's how the game is suposed to look, IMO.

Other than that, I need some more time to check if the details in shadows and lights are also the same in both, and also a good method for capturing the pics to show it.

I will also check for banding. I will not do any mental gymnastics to explain it right now, but I doubt it's full RGB's fault.
I reserve my right to be wrong tho.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

No. Full/full and Low/Limited should look identical. I got an LG C7. As long as you match settings, you're good. If you want to confirm yourself, just try those settings yourself though, just make sure you do not mismatch them.

Yup. I use Low/Limited on my C7.

LostDonkey

Full/high definitely looks more vivid/deeper but im losing detail in darker areas whereas low/limited looks lighter and slightly more washed but im getting a lot more detail in darker areas. This is WITH HDR on as well.

Using PC via HDMI and letting Nvidia control colour options but selecting full/limited manually.

Also Forza Horizon 4's ingame HDR brightness settings showed different results on each setting.

On low/limited the Peak HDR Brightness was 1500 and on Full/high it was 1000.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
If the TV is correctly calibrated, you dont lose any detail.

But for the sake of wording it correctly, details in dark areas are easier to perceive if the brightness is high, but in that case, details in brighter areas are also harder to perceive.
It's a matter of taste. if brightness doesnt crush blacks, and contrast doesnt clip whites, the details are all there.

Psykodad

Banned
No. HDR is best at YUV4:2:2 since it will give 10-bit color.

On PS4 your best best is to set it to automatic.
Yeah, but from what I understand is that to get YUV4:2:2 @10-bit via HDMI, I have to set my PS4 to limited.
(my tv has a 10-bit panel)

Or am I misreading things?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I think those tests for some reason doesnt work with oled¿?
The laptop at my office crushes it also, while displaying everything else corretly.

Maybe brightness settings on oled doesnt work like on LCDs, dunno.

EDIT
I solved it decreasing the contrast and increasing the brightness.
try increasing the brightness until you see all of them and then decreasing the contrast to normal and comfortable levels.
Try
I've been doing some more testing yesterday, with a Samsung j6300.

As long as you align reference black with the minimum black the TV can output, the image seems to be almost identical.
And while I quite liked the limited with its black at TVs 16 level, because at that brightness colors seemed more natural and less saturated, I dont think that's how the game is suposed to look, IMO.

Other than that, I need some more time to check if the details in shadows and lights are also the same in both, and also a good method for capturing the pics to show it.

I will also check for banding. I will not do any mental gymnastics to explain it right now, but I doubt it's full RGB's fault.
I want to try it on my older Panasonic TV and see how it fairs there.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, but from what I understand is that to get YUV4:2:2 @10-bit via HDMI, I have to set my PS4 to limited.

You can set it to Limited but Automatic works better. Automatic will get you YUV:4:2:2 for HDR.

Last edited:

xion4360

Hmm.. I'm seeing banding in both images actually, if I'm understanding what banding is.

yes but one clearly has significantly less than the other.

to get YUV4.2.2. to come out of your PS4 Pro you have to set your console to RGB. This way when HDR comes on it will automatically switch to YUV422.
if you set it to YUV420 you will get YUV420 in HDR. there is no way to manually set it to YUV 422 always but you wouldnt want to, RGB is the best setting for non HDR.

RGB full or limited will both automatically switch to YUV422 in limited for HDR. Also note that I believe the YUV422 option is technically 12 bit but if its a 10 bit panel the TV will convert it. If it doesnt do a good job converting it then you might want to set it to YUV420

I have two examples, one with Full RGB and one with Limited and theres a difference. limited RGB gives you less banding because it also enables deep color. RGB full is 8 bit 444 so thats the maximum HDMI can do at 4K 60herts.
in limited you reduce the bandwith to 422 and get deep color that gives you less banding with slight compression.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

to get YUV2.2.2. to come out of your PS4 Pro you have to set your console to RGB. This way when HDR comes on it will automatically switch to YUV422.
if you set it to YUV420 you will get YUV420 in HDR. there is no way to manually set it to YUV 422 always but you wouldnt want to, RGB is the best setting for non HDR.

RGB full or limited will both automatically switch to YUV422 in limited for HDR. Also note that I believe YUV422 is technically 12 bit HDR but since its a 10 bit panel is only shows as 10 bit (420 is 10 bit 422 is 12 bit 444 is 16)

I have two examples, one with Full RGB and one with Limited and theres a difference. limited RGB gives you less banding because it also enables deep color. RGB full is 8 bit 444 so thats the maximum HDMI can do at 4K 60herts.
in limited you reduce the bandwith to 422 and get deep color that gives you less banding with slight compression.
Oh, I see.
Then that banding artifact should not happen when the display doesnt support deep color and you always output at 8 bit, I assume?

xion4360

Oh, I see.
Then that banding artifact should not happen when the display doesnt support deep color and you always output at 8 bit, I assume?

It depends on the TV but 8 bit naturally has more banding than 10 bit. thats the whole point of going higher. some TVs that are 8 bit only but do better when it comes to banding. ones that are 10 bit show more banding at 8 bit because they are capable of showing more.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
It depends on the TV but 8 bit naturally has more banding than 10 bit. thats the whole point of going higher. some TVs are 8 bit only but do better when it comes to banding. ones that are 10 bit show more banding at 8 bit because they are capable of showing more.
I just found something interesting when talking about all this.
my Samsung J6300 suppots 10-bit color, but no HDR. WTH is happening here : )

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

to get YUV4.2.2. to come out of your PS4 Pro you have to set your console to RGB. This way when HDR comes on it will automatically switch to YUV422.

RGB full or limited will both automatically switch to YUV422 in limited for HDR. Also note that I believe YUV422 is technically 12 bit HDR but since its a 10 bit panel is only shows as 10 bit (420 is 10 bit 422 is 12 bit 444 is 16)

You do NOT have to set your console to RGB to get YUV4:2:2 for HDR. It will work just fine with Automatic.

xion4360

I just found something interesting when talking about all this.
my Samsung J6300 suppots 10-bit color, but no HDR. WTH is happening here : )

this one? https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6300

Its a 1080p set

You do NOT have to set your console to RGB to get YUV4:2:2 for HDR. It will work just fine with Automatic.

Automatic should automatically set it to RGB (the best). it needs to be in RGB to get YUV422 on the flip side.

This is how it works on PS4 with a 4k set

Option = in HDR
720p (RGB) - RGB HDR
1080i (RGB) - RGB HDR
1080p (RGB) - RGB HDR
2160p YUV420 - YUV420 HDR
2160p RGB - YUV422 HDR

If you set it to Automatic it should auto set it 2160p RGB, if not do it manually.

Last edited:

Lightsbane

Full/high definitely looks more vivid/deeper but im losing detail in darker areas whereas low/limited looks lighter and slightly more washed but im getting a lot more detail in darker areas.

Full looks much deeper because the device is not set up properly. You get crushed blacks, which give the image a really punchy look, but in return you can't see anything in dark areas. The "washed out" image is probably the correct one.

Do the lagom test. If you can see all squares, you're fine.

LostDonkey

Full looks much deeper because the device is not set up properly. You get crushed blacks, which give the image a really punchy look, but in return you can't see anything in dark areas. The "washed out" image is probably the correct one.

Do the lagom test. If you can see all squares, you're fine.

I will do the test later thanks. Just saying though the TV was set up with a THX calibration disk in the beginning and Ive not touched anything apart from updating firmware.

Would that wipe the calibration?

wvnative

On a samsung TV, what setting am I looking for and what = full/limited? I see conflicting answers on google.

Also PSA XBOX ONE OWNERS, I just tested on my LG OLED, and the full color space is indeed still broken. On Xbox One use limited/low

Neo_Geo

Banned
The washed out image is only happens if you set the color range wrong. If it is both full/full or limited/limited there is no difference. Well there could be a difference but it depends on your TV how it handle it. To say in general that full is always better is wrong. I tested it on my B7 OLED with a lot of games and there is absolutely no difference if everything is set properly. But my TV is hardware calibrated this could be a reason why there is no difference.

Yeah. Anyone seeing massive improvements had their color range set wrong to begin with, or just think that crushed blacks and oversaturated colors look better. The proper range set both on the device and the television will look identical to the naked eye. Games and movies alike. If there is any improvement, either you are an idiot or your shit was set wrong beforehand.

DryvBy

If anyone else has a Samsung KS8000 TV or similar, I'm used HDMI = Normal with the PS4 to RGB Full for a few days. I tried a few HDR sources and it kicked it back automatically to how it should look in HDR without an adjustment. I also watched Netflix like this and I didn't suffer any black crush.

I'll report back if I revert back. I'm not 100% on board with RGB full anyway.

rəddəM

I have an old LG PK550 Plasma and it doesn't support Full RGB. If I try to use Full RGB and High Black Levels it don't work for everything. For example: Peaky Blinders on Netflix will have washed out blacks, meaning it's Limited. While other films and series will display correctly at Full/High Black Levels.
The truth is that almost everything in a console (games/Blu-ray/streaming video) is mastered/encoded with compression in mind due to bandwidth/storage capacity limitations so all this RGB setting do is confuse and placebo everyone.
I've been experimenting a bit and I think the real deal is the Chroma Subsampling. If I set my HDMI input to PC it correctly display 4:4:4 with no compression and it interesting to see how it looks while using the PS4. Since it's displaying with no compression (very important for PC text) everything is without the "compression filter" and looks more blurry/without heavy oversharpening and compression correction.
You guys should try it and see for yourselves.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Have you changed the icon to "PC" for the HDMI input where the xbox is connected? The B7 has a bug and it's not working properly. It produces a lot of banding if you set it as PC input.

I'm dumb and put B7.

I have a B6.

xion4360

I have an old LG PK550 Plasma and it doesn't support Full RGB. If I try to use Full RGB and High Black Levels it don't work for everything. For example: Peaky Blinders on Netflix will have washed out blacks, meaning it's Limited. While other films and series will display correctly at Full/High Black Levels.
The truth is that almost everything in a console (games/Blu-ray/streaming video) is mastered/encoded with compression in mind due to bandwidth/storage capacity limitations so all this RGB setting do is confuse and placebo everyone.
I've been experimenting a bit and I think the real deal is the Chroma Subsampling. If I set my HDMI input to PC it correctly display 4:4:4 with no compression and it interesting to see how it looks while using the PS4. Since it's displaying with no compression (very important for PC text) everything is without the "compression filter" and looks more blurry/without heavy oversharpening and compression correction.
You guys should try it and see for yourselves.

Yes you should set your HDMI input that the console is using to game mode or rename the input to PC to trigger the mode where it disables all post processing. You dont want the TV to process the raw image of a console, that can only negatively impact latency. If you dont care about that and prefer some processing like advanced contrast or interpolation (ugh) well then thats all you.

Ideally you set it to game/PC mode and make sure any kind of processing is off. Brightness and sharpness need to be adjusted correctly, if you have an xbox one it has a nice built in calibration tool, otherwise there are some videos on youtube to help with this.

Lightsbane

I will do the test later thanks. Just saying though the TV was set up with a THX calibration disk in the beginning and Ive not touched anything apart from updating firmware.

Would that wipe the calibration?

Well, just doing the test wouldn't change anything.
The THX calibration disk already has a similar pluge pattern in there, so if you could see all the gradients when you did that initial calibration, there's a chance you don't even need to change anything.

rəddəM

Yes you should set your HDMI input that the console is using to game mode or rename the input to PC to trigger the mode where it disables all post processing. You dont want the TV to process the raw image of a console, that can only negatively impact latency. If you dont care about that and prefer some processing like advanced contrast or interpolation (ugh) well then thats all you.

Ideally you set it to game/PC mode and make sure any kind of processing is off. Brightness and sharpness need to be adjusted correctly, if you have an xbox one it has a nice built in calibration tool, otherwise there are some videos on youtube to help with this.
What I meant is that if you force your TV to display 4:4:4 (no compression) in a source with compression (PS4) you can see the effects I mentioned above

Whitecrow

Banned
On a samsung TV, what setting am I looking for and what = full/limited? I see conflicting answers on google.

Also PSA XBOX ONE OWNERS, I just tested on my LG OLED, and the full color space is indeed still broken. On Xbox One use limited/low
Normal expects full.
Low expects limited and moves the range to the lowest black possible.

Psykodad

Banned

Just to make it clear, if I set my PS4 to RGB, it's what it shows in the output information in the PS4 video output settings, right?
Seems my PS4 only shows output as RGB. I see no mention of YUV420 or YUV422 anywhere, no matter what settings I change on my PS4.

So, in my case it's all about setting my RGB to limited or full, with limited>full but automatic is the best solution.

I can't change any HDMI settings on my tv itself, but if I put my PS4 HDMI channel to game mode, everything should be set properly.

This is correct?

xion4360

Just to make it clear, if I set my PS4 to RGB, it's what it shows in the output information in the PS4 video output settings, right?
Seems my PS4 only shows output as RGB. I see no mention of YUV420 or YUV422 anywhere, no matter what settings I change on my PS4.

So, in my case it's all about setting my RGB to limited or full, with limited>full but automatic is the best solution.

I can't change any HDMI settings on my tv itself, but if I put my PS4 HDMI channel to game mode, everything should be set properly.

This is correct?

If you try to manually set the resolution you should see 2160p yuv420 just before 2160p rgb. Start up something hdr then go back and look at output info and it should now say yuv422 (hdr)

If it doesnt and you have a 4K HDR tv with a 10 bit panel then make sure your HDMI input has enhanced HDMI turned on.. for some reason a lot of TV's only support this on certain inputs (like on mine its 2 and 3 out of the 4) and you have to manually turn on this ability so make sure that its on.

Last edited:

xion4360

What I meant is that if you force your TV to display 4:4:4 (no compression) in a source with compression (PS4) you can see the effects I mentioned above

If your ps4 is set to rgb then thers no compression. Thats a raw image

I think what you mean is that at first when you turn off all that post processing that makes your screen look extra sharp, extra colorful and extra contrasty the resulting raw image looks comparably....bland. but thats how its actually supposed to look. As long as you set your sharpness level, color level and brightness/contrast well you eventually just get used to the way it looks raw. I have every input and app mode on my tv with the same settings so its consistent, but most people prefer the standard image with the post processing for TV and movies.

Last edited:

rəddəM

If your ps4 is set to rgb then thers no compression. Thats a raw image

I think what you mean is that at first when you turn off all that post processing that makes your screen look extra sharp, extra colorful and extra contrasty the resulting raw image looks comparably....bland. but thats how its actually supposed to look. As long as you set your sharpness level, color level and brightness/contrast well you eventually just get used to the way it looks raw. I have every input and app mode on my tv with the same settings so its consistent, but most people prefer the standard image with the post processing for TV and movies.
I'm pretty sure it's because my TV is a 2008 plasma that I see the Blur around foliage and in textures. It's a ghosting/banding thing, makes everything blurry.
Increasing the sharpeness helped A LOT so it's viewable and I get the extras of 4:4:4 support and less input latency.

Reallink

this one? https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6300

Its a 1080p set

Automatic should automatically set it to RGB (the best). Automatic is fine thats how mine is set up, im just making the point that it needs to be in RGB to get YUV422 on the flip side.

This is how it works on PS4 with a 4k set

Option = in HDR
720p (RGB) - RGB HDR
1080i (RGB) - RGB HDR
1080p (RGB) - RGB HDR
2160p YUV420 - YUV420 HDR
2160p RGB - YUV422 HDR

If you set it to Automatic (and you should) it will auto set it 2160p RGB

Auto actually produces a mismatch on 2017 LG OLED's, I'd strongly advise everyone set it manually. There are too many makes/model of TV's and devices for Auto to be reliable, never mind firmware versions that may not be flagging EDID's properly.

Last edited:

xion4360

I'm pretty sure it's because my TV is a 2008 plasma that I see the Blur around foliage and in textures. It's a ghosting/banding thing, makes everything blurry.
Increasing the sharpeness helped A LOT so it's viewable and I get the extras of 4:4:4 support and less input latency.

probably had the sharpness too low before. Its not supposed to be super high, but just between being blurry and being sharp.

Auto actually produces a mismatch on 2017 LG OLED's, I'd strongly advise everyone set it manually. There are too many makes/model of TV's and devices for Auto to be reliable, never mind firmware versions that may not be flagging EDID's properly.

Ive never had a problem and others kept insisting on AUTO so thats why I said just go auto.. but if there are some mismatch problems then you should set it yourself. thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
If you try to manually set the resolution you should see 2160p yuv420 just before 2160p rgb. Start up something hdr then go back and look at output info and it should now say yuv422 (hdr)

If it doesnt and you have a 4K HDR tv with a 10 bit panel then make sure your HDMI input has enhanced HDMI turned on.. for some reason a lot of TV's only support this on certain inputs (like on mine its 2 and 3 out of the 4) and you have to manually turn on this ability so make sure that its on.
Thnx for the help.
Just got home and checked everything and I've set my PS4 to limited.
Games output at YUV422, so I guess I now get the most of it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not sure if this is the thread for it but it seems similar.

When it comes to HDR, in games like Creed Odyssey, they have the HDR sliders for maximum brightness and (blanking on the name) maxiumum white level.

There's zero infirmation on what to actually do there inside the options so what is the goal?

Last edited:
Top Bottom