• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Calibration tip, RGB Limited VS Full

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's good as long as it switches to limited for Blu Rays etc.

I know the auto feature can be bugged for some users but it works with my Panasonic OLED also.

I believe it does because there's a separate setting from what I remember under the Blu-ray settings on the consoles that have it set to Limited.

Hostile_18

Banned
I believe it does because there's a separate setting from what I remember under the Blu-ray settings on the consoles that have it set to Limited.

Omg really? How could I have missed this I just presumed it would be under display preferences if there was one. I'll have a look now.

Edit: There isn't on the PS4 Pro but Auto should work fine. :)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Omg really? How could I have missed this I just presumed it would be under display preferences if there was one. I'll have a look now.

Edit: There isn't on the PS4 Pro but Auto should work fine. :)

I believe it is on the PS3 as a separate option. I will check later. I still use the PS3 to watch Blu-rays more so, because it's still a more feature-rich player.

But yes, auto works as well.

Last edited:
Don't yell at me, but basically if I'm playing on a TV I should set the console to limited and the TV to low because games are mastered to limited?

So you've got no choice but to bite the bullet and lose black and white gradient values from 0-16 and 235-255. Am I understanding it right?

zeomax

You don't lose any gradient values because from 0-16 it is simply all black without any gradients. Same for white after 235. You can't lose something what is not in the source material in the first place.

Whitecrow

Banned
You don't lose any gradient values because from 0-16 it is simply all black without any gradients. Same for white after 235. You can't lose something what is not in the source material in the first place.
Man is your understanding flawed...

You lose 255 - 235 white gradients and 0 -16 black gradients in limited versus full.
Why is that hard to understand.

And if you keep saying games are mastered on limited, you gotta bring us some proof. I'm waiting.

Last edited:

Shifty

Don't yell at me, but basically if I'm playing on a TV I should set the console to limited and the TV to low because games are mastered to limited?

So you've got no choice but to bite the bullet and lose black and white gradient values from 0-16 and 235-255. Am I understanding it right?
No, that's the actual misinformation here.

If your console outputs full-range and your TV has a setting for full-range, you'll get more colour precision by setting them both to full-range. You should only be telling the console to output limited if your TV doesn't support anything else.

Console games are made to be viewed on a TV.
Console has nothing to do with it. They're VESA-compliant devices, just like PC GPUs.

Console games are made to be viewed on a TV. Limited is the only value that every TV is supporting. Why? Because that's a standard for televisions. Full range support is an optional feature and not a standard for TVs.
And what does that have to do with anything? Just because a feature is optional doesn't mean it isn't supported. Show me some receipts if you want to make claims like that.

This has nothing to do with real-time rendering or pre-encoded videos. Like i already said before, if something is made to be viewed on a TV --> limited is the correct setting.
"Made to be viewed on a TV" is a fiction in the context of videogames, simple as that.

Graphics APIs such as OpenGL and DirectX operate on a 0-255 value range when rendering SDR, and that's what games are developed against. The console (or PC) OS runs a linear remap algorithm on that output to convert it into a TV-compatible signal at render time if running in limited-range mode- the games literally do not know or care about what device they're outputting to.

Videos, on the other hand, are baked down to a set range at encode time. That is the 'mastering' process you refer to, and it has nothing to do with real-time 3D content like videogames.

And if a TV supports full range mode then limited is absolutely not the correct setting, because you're wasting the extra precision and causing colour crush by sending an incompatible signal. You match your input and output types, with no exception.

If you still can't understand it, sorry but i don't know how to explain it more easier.
If you can't explain your reasoning and provide accurate information, then you're in no position to be calling out misinformation in the first place.

Last edited:

Fake

I give up. Like xion4360 said "time to ignore this thread"

....time to ignore this thread.

Or you two fall into ignorance and stop posting fo good or just accept others tech sites information. Its not that hard.
Simple that. Don't need to whining every post someone here make. No one is forcing you two to put 'limited' in settings.
Christ man, act like a grow up man.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
I used to have PS3 set to full by accident and was thinking PS3 games are too dark with crushed blacks, until I realized I should set it to limited. I don't buy expensive TVs though, it's probably looks better on expensive ones.

Hostile_18

Banned
What have i started 😂 anyone for another bump 2020 for the new consoles? Lol.

I think the best advice is just make sure your settings match either full-normal or limited-low. If there is a difference it's extremely limited *ahem* minor.

I think colour temp is actually more important. Hope your all using Warm 2!

Shifty

What have i started 😂 anyone for another bump 2020 for the new consoles? Lol.
giphy.gif

I think the best advice is just make sure your settings match either full-normal or limited-low. If there is a difference it's extremely limited *ahem* minor.
Pretty much. The main place it'll show up is dark games like Doom 3 or the Thief reboot - if you feel like your character is blind in poorly-lit areas, the settings are mismatched.

I think colour temp is actually more important. Hope your all using Warm 2!
And thus began the great colour temperature debate of 2019 :messenger_hushed:

I kid- colour temp is important, though it's more about matching the temperature of the lighting in your TV room than anything. Too cool and it'll fool your body's internal clock into thinking it's daytime and keep you awake, too warm and your screen will look yellow.

There's actually lifestyle software on PC like f.lux and windows 10's night light that'll adjust it automatically over the course of the day based on your timezone. Very handy for keeping the sleep-cycle in check if you're the type to stay up late staring at a screen.

I give up. Like xion4360 said "time to ignore this thread"
Classic inability to substantiate one's position :rolleyes:

Whitecrow

Banned
I kid- colour temp is important, though it's more about matching the temperature of the lighting in your TV room than anything. Too cool and it'll fool your body's internal clock into thinking it's daytime and keep you awake, too warm and your screen will look yellow.

It may play some tricks on your mind due to your lighting conditions, maybe, but the temperature thing is standard some media art is designed around, that aims to match the white of your TV with the real life white on sunlight in order to get more accurate life-like color reproduction.

Cool all the way - looks brighter and more 'cool'. Warm is too yellow for games

This thread was a great read, can't wait to go home and fuck around with my two tvs and feedback

Top Bottom