• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Donation Drama: Donator takes back $11,000 in donations

Haunted

I'm not sure why we're allowing one or two stupid posts about the 14 year old streaming to completely dictate the direction of this thread. It's obviously not what the OP intended this to be about.

vilmer_

Define real job.

In my line of work we have an excellent benefit package. Health coverage, dental, eyewear etc. What sort of package would sitting on my ass all day in my bedroom playing video games hoping for random donations from strangers get me? If the options there are better, I'll start streaming "full time".

Rip

I'm sure you started using PayPal at 14 and had people scam you with fake donations, right?

People scam me after I ship them products, with chargebacks and I lose the money and the product. You are being scammed for people giving you money for nothing. Maybe hold on to some of that coin before you blow it all.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
When individuals advertize they are demonized, but when corporations do it, spending millions to do it likely, it's viewed as acceptable and a part of business. People tune in for ads during the super bowl, and all it is, is a company trying to get your money.

With one, a person is just trying to get by, with another, the one percent are becoming richer (obviously not always the case, but still).

I have no problem with it. If one doesn't like it, they can watch somebody else.
Except during the Superbowl there would be popups every time someone bought a new lexus and the players would stop the game to thank them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Why would you be for making the laws less consumer friendly?

If you wish to make a living from twitch streaming, then treat it as a job and make sure you don't touch any money until a year has passed.

Because 30 days are plenty of time to realize if you have charges that are fraudulent.

I might agree with a tad longer, basically the longest period of time from which it is certain to appear on your statement.

If you are just paying your credit cards and NOT looking at the statements, something is wrong with you.

In my line of work we have an excellent benefit package. Health coverage, dental, eyewear etc. What sort of package would sitting on my ass all day in my bedroom playing video games hoping for random donations from strangers get me? If the options there are better, I'll start streaming "full time".

Pretty much. Like I said, it's basically a charity, because you're not guaranteed income

kick51

Banned
Honestly, it feels more about luck than anything else. Either you've done something that is of notable worth to the majority(espwats) or something else out of your hands assisted you.

If you don't have skills (and aren't a LoL girl), then you have to have charisma*

*yelling, memes, being funny to people somehow, and good at making people feel a part of something.

you just need thousands of subscribers

Paches

I wish my job at 14 gave me health, vision, and dental. I am fucking lucky at 26 to have that.

ash321

The topic change from a kid got scam $750 dollar to "He shouldn't stream game for money, he should get a real job", good job driver. How about focus the point of this thread ? IE Paypal being completely shit, the guy who made the charge back is an ass. Please don't be bitter when other people can make money on what they like to do.
^ To the guy who said they have benefit, what are you trying to prove ? You have a better insurance than a 14 years old kid, congrats. Also, i think TotalBiscuit got better insurance than you and all he do is playing videos game and host a talk show on Twitch.

No, charge backs are fine, doing so after 50 days is bullshit.

30 days max.

Eh that's the general 60 day "billing error" rules as the 1 year requires a lot more on the consumers part to be refunded.

60 days is better for consumers in case whatever it is you purchased breaks between the 30 day and 60 day mark and/or delivery of the goods occurs in that 30 - 60 day window

At this point though we're arguing semantics because it could be anything from 10 days to 100 days and people could make compelling examples

Arken2121

If you don't have skills (and aren't a LoL girl), then you have to have charisma*

*yelling, memes, being funny to people somehow, and good at making people feel a part of something.

To some degree, yes. But it's all about getting your name out there. Again, I've been streaming for almost 2 years and by no means am I popular. The 1st part is limited to getting your name out there. I completely agree with the 2nd but again, you can be oozing charisma but if no one notices you, it's all for naught.

Alucrid

Banned
They don't actually owe anything though.Paypal will take out whatever is in the balance now, but they can't take the money out of bank accounts or charge credit cards if I recall. At most they'll just lose their accounts. It sucks, but not really a cause worth donating to for me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They don't actually owe anything though.Paypal will take out whatever is in the balance now, but they can't take the money out of bank accounts or charge credit cards if I recall. At most they'll just lose their accounts. It sucks, but not really a cause worth donating to for me.

They don't file with a collections agency?

Bizazedo

It's a shame and I feel bad for the streamers who got burned...

....but if you're going to claim this is your job, you'd better educate yourself, quickly, on what chargebacks are, how they work, as well as fraud and the fraud rights of customers.

I hope the streamers, especially the young ones, get back on their feet quickly.

Idk why people are arguing about streaming donations basically being a beggar's income or not, it doesn't really matter to the topic (paypal refunds)
We could make a seperate thread about it and have a lot of fun talking about that.

And again why are people talking about a 14 year old's income and job prospects, what does a 14 year old need an income for?

The kid (and the adults, and the op) should not ( or should not have) spend/t their paypal money unless they have a reserve to pay for refunds, it's dumb as hell.
Refunds exist for a good reason (fraud protection and consumer protection)

In this case a 15 yo kid spent money that wasn't his to spend most likely (parents' credit card)
imo system working as intended, no real victims (just bad choices), much ado about nothing.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You know there's actual list of jobs that are recognized by the government of a country, right?
I've seen plenty of ways to make a living that probably aren't recognized by the government. Like streaming for instance. Or commissions and freelancing.
Yea, some streamers do stream full time. 8 hours a day and are able to make a living off of it. Including sponsorships, and even trips to get hands on time with games that are unavailable to the public. Just an example of this would be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbxI_pQ6aU
^ he streams full time, and gets most of his income from donations, subscriptions, etc.

Orayn

Who the hell would donate to watch someone play games? 2014 is a weird place.

Yeah, what kind of fucked up person would give money to support someone who does a thing that they kind entertaining? That is literally the sickest thing I have ever heard.

Working for donations is a dangerous line of work for this exact reason, but it sucks for a 14 yr old kid who didn't understand how it works.

What I don't understand how he had a PayPal account in the first place tho. Good luck collecting the funds PayPal.

2.1 Eligibility. To be eligible for our Services, you must (i) be a resident of one of the countries listed on the PayPal Worldwide page; (ii) have full legal capacity to enter into a contract; and (iii) if you are an individual, be at least 18 years old. You further represent and warrant to us in opening an Account with us that you are not acting on behalf of, or for the benefit of, anyone else, unless you are opening the Account for and under the direction of the company that employs you. If you are not acting for the company that employs you, the new Account must be in your own name only. This Agreement applies only to Users who are residents of the United Kingdom and Relevant Countries. If you are a resident of another country, you may access your agreement from the PayPal website(s) in your country (if applicable).

Does sending money through Paypal as a gift prevent the money from being taken back? I saw a streamer this morning suggesting people should send money as a gift because it doesn't get taxed, but now I'm wondering if he was just worried about charge-backs.

x3sphere

Does sending money through Paypal as a gift prevent the money from being taken back? I saw a streamer this morning suggesting people should send money as a gift because it doesn't get taxed, but now I'm wondering if he was just worried about charge-backs.

No. You forfeit basically all protection through Paypal when using the gift option, but still possible to chargeback if a CC was used to send the payment.

Valnen

Why would you be for making the laws less consumer friendly?

If you wish to make a living from twitch streaming, then treat it as a job and make sure you don't touch any money until a year has passed.

I think only someone VERY well off would be able to do such a thing. Most people live off the money they have right now, or paycheck to paycheck.

jabuseika

Why is a 14 year old taking donations online, and using those funds without the supervision of an adult that would know better?

So, some kid used funds from his parents credit cards without consent (probably), and they took their money back.

Paypal's not gonna do anything about it, if the dispute is real.

Streamers learned a lesson about not relying on donations as real income. They should at the least have let that money sit in paypal account for a couple of months before even thinking of using it.

Things like this is why Twitch will probably institute their own donation system soon, and ban outside systems.

Ebris

Got some saaaaalty ass people in here. Someone is doing something they love to do and making money from it? SHOCK, GASP, THE NERVE.

Anyway, shit sucks. Paypal should have eaten the loss, but it's Paypal, so, y'know.

Orayn

Why is a 14 year old taking donations online, and using those funds without the supervision of an adult that would know better?

So, some kid used funds from his parents credit cards without consent (probably), and they took their money back.

Streamers learned a lesson about no relying on donations as real income. They should at the least have let that money sit in paypal account for a couple of months before even thinking of using it.

Things like this is why Twitch will probably institute their own donation system soon, and ban outside systems.

Many of them did, some of these charges went bad after 50+ days.

Valnen

Streamers learned a lesson about not relying on donations as real income. They should at the least have let that money sit in paypal account for a couple of months before even thinking of using it.

You mean they learned a lesson that scumbags will scam them?

Why shouldn't they rely on it as "real income" if they make enough to live off of? What's with this prejudice against people who make money off the internet?

G-Fex

I agree.

I didn't even know anyone under 18 could use paypal for such things.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
For instance, JaccaMacca is a 14 year old from the UK whom had used the money to get a capture device for his 3DS as well as a monitor. Now he has his PayPal account basically closed and owes them $720 he can't possibly have, as he wasn't partnered and this was his only form of income.
If this guy is really 14, I'd tell PayPal to pound sand. He's a minor and not legally responsible for his agreement with PayPal. I'm really surprised that PayPal lets minors have accounts with them. For this same reason, I wouldn't donate to this guy. He'll be able to avoid liability for his debt.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I was sort of joking. I say this because I know a lot of awesome guys/girls and it's not that easy. ;)
Not the easiest. But being nice definitely helps.
Unless you're one of the guys who're popular due to cynicism/rage, or frage.

Arken2121

Not the easiest. But being nice definitely helps.
Unless you're one of the guys who're popular due to cynicism/rage, or frage.

But while it helps, unless you're on the front-page of a specific game, those people get passed over. See now I can't understand the douchey part. While we all rage at some point in our lives, watching someone do it constantly would get quite boring.

Skeyser

If this guy is really 14, I'd tell PayPal to pound sand. He's a minor and not legally responsible for his agreement with PayPal. I'm really surprised that PayPal lets minors have accounts with them. For this same reason, I wouldn't donate to this guy. He'll be able to avoid liability for his debt.

He probably lied and said he was 18 when registering to paypal...I remember trying to open an account a few years ago and it wouldn't let me because I wasn't 18.

Ogimachi

I don't think there's a way people who depend on donations can protect themselves from this. Without sponsors or tournaments, this will always be a risk.

TSM

Fraudulent donations were refunded. I can't see how anyone can really blame paypal in this instance. It seems more like a bunch of people didn't realize the possibility of chargebacks. It seems like the best practice for streamers would be to hold the funds in "escrow" until the chargeback window is past.

Top Bottom