• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill / Mir vs. Nelson 5.28.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I made no attempt to watch this event and a friend had to call me just to remind me it happened tonight. It was all over and reading the results I'm glad I skipped it. Rampage doesn't have that killer instinct anymore.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Shaheed79 said:
I made no attempt to watch this event and a friend had to call me just to remind me it happened tonight. It was all over and reading the results I'm glad I skipped it. Rampage doesn't have that killer instinct anymore.
Well I watched it and Hamill has a hell of a chin. That said, Hamill is a mid tier fighter and he's 34. This was his chance and he couldn't do anything. Unless he improves dramatically, he'll be a gatekeeper to the upper echelons of the division.

Hex

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

The following fighters took home $70,000 bonuses from the UFC 130 event…

* KO of the Night: Travis Browne
* SUB of the Night: Gleison Tibau
* FIGHT of the Night: Brian Stann and Jorge Santiago

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ah wells at them bonuses. PPV wasnt great, Struve was on the receiving end of another highlight reel KO....... he's going to be brain damaged before he "grows into his body" or poses any real threat to the title.

Ah wells

FUCKIN 6 WEEKS OF MMA IN A ROW!!!!

Heres a retarded calendar I made. Green UFC, Red Strike Force. No SF Challengers or anything.

2gseqfm.jpg

Biff

Welp apparently I was wrong about Hamill.

I knew he wouldn't get KO'd but man, I've never seen him fight so stupidly before.

He needs a new training camp immediately. Wtf happened there? A part of me feels it was just Hamill being too nice, not wanting to 'hurt' Rampage, his past mentor/coach. But I don't want that to be true because then Matt shouldn't really be a fighter at all.

It just seemed like he wasn't giving it his all. Wasn't powering through takedowns like we've seen him before. Wasn't finishing his punch. Was throwing half powered leg-kicks when Page wasn't even checking them. Something was very off.

Bloody Elbow said:
Rampage on his hand injury: "Honestly, I hurt my hand in Japan back in December. Drinking around, fighting with my friend in the hallway. I thought it would heal up. I did a crazy jab on one of my sparring partners, and I hurt it."

Quinton Jackson's hand injury, if serious, could derail his title shot. If Rampage can't do it, Jon Jones could be defending his light heavyweight title against Lyoto Machida, or even Rashad Evans.
link

Fuck yes... I really hope Machida gets the shot, I think he can beat Jones.

desa

Disappointing card. Best fight was torres and mighty mouse. Torres should have won, but of course they give it to the guy getting controlled from the bottom because he's on top. They need new judges that actually know the ground game. That was beautiful to watch.

All these gassed heavier fighters in the 2nd/3rd round. Step your cardio game up! Getting tired of that shit.

DKehoe

Fight of the night bonus should have been Torres-Johnson.
To me, Rampage and Machida are the two most interesting fights for Jones so I'm fine with either getting the shot.
Disapointed about Nelson, he was just done in the 3rd. Incredibly slow punches and kicks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Damn Stann is such a class act:
Sherdog post fight report
Guile Stann said:
“I’d always love to fight Wanderlei. He’s one of my favorite fighters ever. It would be a dream come true. But, if I never have to fight him, then maybe I can just get a picture with him and an autograph. That would be pretty cool.”

Post fight video

VASPER

Banned
Fuck yes... I really hope Machida gets the shot, I think he can beat Jones.[/QUOTE]

Big words there. Machida is one of my favorites but i don't feel he has a chance.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://twitter.com/MiguelTorresMMA/status/74959224819548160

MiguelTorresMMA
"Dana White says UFC is the NFL of MMA. Does the NFL use NBA refs to referee their games?"

Enosh

christ that Roy Nelson fight was a choore to watch, guy looked like he couldn't walk back to his car in the middle of round one much less fight for another two and half rounds (well he did, but just barely)

but I liked the Stann v. Santiago and Torres vs. Johnson fights

MjFrancis

Brian Stann is always a treat to watch (during and after the fight), and it was cool seeing local Rick Story hold his own against Thiago Alves. That was a matchup that left me clueless as to who would win. It wasn't a terrificly watchable fight, but Story stuffed Alves for two full rounds and kept his chin up throughout the third. I have no doubts in my mind that this guy's a proven top 10, and like the Sherdog article I read, if he can repeat the performance one or two more times, should have a bid for the title. Rick Story wouldn't pull this timid deer shit that GSP's last few opponents have presented him with.

Attention Welterweights a Story for You

For the most part, this card was a real sleeper. Looking forward to seeing Carwin get back into the game in two weeks, though!

I'm having trouble remembering ever seeing a ko via superman punch. That was for sure the highlight of the night for me. The Torres Mighty Mouse fight was also exciting.

Rick Story wants to fight Fitch next when he heals up. I hope that happens instead of a Fitch/Penn 2. Penn won that fucking fight anyways, you shouldn't be awarded a 10-8 round for 100 love taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom