• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill / Mir vs. Nelson 5.28.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
ufc-130-poster.jpg

-Preliminary fights streaming live from the UFC's Facebook page at approximately 3:30pm PT/6:30pm ET
-More prelims then air live on Spike at 5pm PT/8pm ET
-Live PPV begins at 6pm PT/9pm ET

------------------------------------------------------
Just to reiterate, this event starts an hour earlier than the UFC normally has in the past. This change happened starting with UFC 129 and is permanent, it will be like this for every UFC going forward.

Welp, for a clusterfuck of a card that has had people drop out left right and center and even lost its original main event entirely, this looks like it will be pretty entertaining. Light Heavyweight contender Quinton "Rampage" Jackson was initially scheduled to fight Thiago Silva in the co-main event. Silva pulled out of the fight initially due to an undisclosed injury. It was later revealed that Silva used fake urine in his post-fight drug test at UFC 125 after destroying Brandon Vera because he had used steroids to heal from a back injury that would have forced him to pull out of the fight otherwise, according to a statement he made. Matt Hamill was the best UFC Light Heavyweight at the time who didn't have a fight lined up other than Rashad Evans (and a rematch was an unpopular idea), so he replaced Silva as Jackson's opponent

In the main event, Gray Maynard was supposed to get his rematch against Lightweight champ Frankie Edgar after fighting to a draw on New Year's Day in an instant candidate for fight of the year even considering it happened on the first day of said year. Maynard injured his knee in training but was still willing to go through with the fight. Edgar then suffered a broken rib and pulled out however and the main event was cancelled. Rampage vs. Hamill was then moved up to the main event and here we are.

This card was so stacked initially that Thiago Alves was fighting in the prelims (his fight got moved to the main card). Considering everything that has gone down, it's still a damn good card though. Kid Yamamoto was also scheduled to fight Chris Cariaso but had to pull out due to injury as well. Without further ado, this is the card as it stands now:

Live on Pay Per View:

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Matt "The Hammer" Hamill

Yeah yeah I know, pretty meh for a Memorial Day Weekend main event. Hamill is slow as shit and Rampage eats slow fighters for fucking breakfast, not to mention it appears that some kind of fire was lit under his ass. He is now one of only two people to beat Lyoto Machida (he won the first two rounds so that means 29-28, deal with it). Rampage by brutal KO.​

Heavyweight (265 lbs max): Frank Mir vs. Roy "Big Country" Nelson

This is an interesting matchup. These two guys competed against each other in a grappling match back in 06 (video here) when Roy was half the man he is now (get it hur hur) and Roy won. Nelson KO'd two respected heavyweights in Brendan Schaub and Stefan Struve prior to fighting top contender Junior Dos Santos and taking him the distance (and losing). Roy has a very diverse skillset; he's a Renzo Gracie BJJ black belt, has a good top control game, incredible KO power, a granite chin and can go in the deep waters. Frank Mir is coming off of an embarrassing 3rd round KO of Mirko Cro Cop back at UFC 119. Yes, you read that right: he got the KO but it was still a shitty fight. Many critics deemed it the worst UFC pay per view since UFC 33; the stinker of all stinkers. Mir is looking to get back "in the mix" and a loss here would really set him back big time, more than a loss would set Nelson back IMO. Unfortunately, I don't see any ways for Mir to win this fight other than by a decision. Roy isn't getting caught in a sub, isn't getting KO'd (JDS couldn't pull it off for fuck's sake) and isn't getting wrestlefucked. I'll take Nelson by TKO.​

Heavyweight: Stefan "The Skyscraper" Struve vs. Travis Browne

Travis Browne is coming off a fight that was boring as shit too. Cheick Kongo grabbed his shorts the whole time while Browne tried to wall-n-stall Kongo and it went to a draw only because the referee deducted a point from Kongo for the aformentioned pulling of the shorts. Stefan Struve is coming off of humiliating an Internet troll. To be fair to Struve though, he did look good against Christian Morecraft prior to that, getting KO of the night. I honestly think Browne is going to be in over his head in this fight however. Browne's two UFC opponents to date have been Kongo and James McSweeney who is a joke. Struve has fought much tougher opponents than his and I expect him to put together a stunning victory.​

Welterweight (170 lbs): Thiago "Pitbull" Alves vs. Rick "The Horror" Story

This matchup has the makings of an epic war. Rick Story has been more or less flying under the radar and beating tough guys. This will be a step up in competition for him, but not as much of a step up as people may think. Story's last fight was a win over a previously undefeated Johnny Hendricks, and Alves's last one was an impressive victory over John "Doomsday" Howard. Story is a tough guy with a wrestling background who can take a lot of punishment in order to give some and Alves is one of the best strikers in the welterweight division with good takedown defense. This is my FOTN candidate and I'll take Alves by decision.​

Middleweight (185 lbs): Brian Stann vs. Jorge "The Belt Collector" Santiago

Speaking of FOTN candidates, this is a very close second. If you haven't seen it already, you owe it to yourself to watch Jorge Santiago's epic battle with Kazuo Misaki from last year; one of the best fights of 2010 (Part 1 Link) (Part 2 Link). Sengoku Middleweight Champion Jorge Santiago has been bouncing between other promotions since being cut from the UFC in 2006 for consecutive losses to Chris Leben and Alan Belcher. He has racked up an impressive 11-1 record since, with the only loss in that period being avenged right after against Mamed Khalidov. In that period he has beaten Jeremy Horn, Trevor Prangley, Sitar Bahadurzada, split 2 fights with Mamed Khalidov as mentioned earlier, and beaten Kazuo Misaki twice. Brian Stann has been very impressive since dropping down to middleweight after getting destroyed by Phil Davis. He has a submission win over Mike Massenzio and a TKO win over Chris Leben. Both guys have well rounded skill sets so I'm looking forward to an evenly matched fight with a bit of everything MMA has to offer.​

Prelims on Spike:

Bantamweight (135 lbs): Miguel Angel Torres vs. Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson

Miguel Torres has been going through a reinvention of sorts after devastating consecutive losses to Brian Bowles(KO) and Joseph Benavidez (Submission). Prior to those losses he was regarded as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world and was also a fan favorite for his reckless, brawling style. Realizing that the rest of the bantamweight division was evolving, Torres decided to set up shop in Firas Zahabi's MMA training camp, a camp also frequented by Georges St. Pierre, Kenny Florian, Nate Marquardt, Jon Jones and David Loiseau among others. Torres made his UFC debut at UFC 126 fighting Antonio Banuelos and was content to stay on the outside and jab his way to a decision (sound like anyone I just mentioned?) but Banuelos was also really gunshy which definitely didn't contribute to the entrtainment value of the fight. The old fan-friendly brawler was gone, and in his place was a fighter who played it safe and didn't want to overcommit. When UFC matchmaker Joe Silva was lining up Torres' next opponent he was most likely putting the tips of his fingers together while saying "eeeexcellent" in his Montgomery Burns voice because Demetrious Johnson will definitely not allow Torres to stay on the outside and jab his way to a decision win. Mighty Mouse moves around a whole lot and has great takedowns. It'll be interesting to see what changes Miguel makes to his game in order to come out with a victory on Saturday. This is definitely one of the more intriguing matchups on the card.​

Middleweight bout: Kendall "Da Spyda" (Not to be confused with "The Spider"-- totally different) Grove vs. Tim Boetsch

Meh.​

Prelims on Facebook:

Lightweight (155 lbs): Gleison Tibau vs. Rafaello Oliveira
Bantamweight: Michael McDonald vs. Chris Cariaso
Bantamweight: Renan Barão vs. Cole Escovedo

FUN FACT: Starting this weekend, there will be 6 consecutive weekends with a Zuffa MMA event happening on them.

Zuffa MMA schedule for the next 6 weeks:

5.28 - UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill
6.4 - The Ultimate Finale: Pettis vs. Guida
6.11 - UFC 131: Carwin vs. Dos Santos
6.18 - Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix: Overeem vs. Werdum / Barnett vs Rogers
6.24 - Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry (Ryan Couture and Lorenz Larkin also on the card)
6.26 - UFC on Versus 4: Marquardt vs. Johnson
7.2 - UFC 132: Faber vs. Cruz

Subitai

War Big Country!
War Skyscraper!
War Pitbull!

The matches don't look as good on paper, but in the past these type of cards deliver more exciting fights.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I get the feeling the main event might be a boring decision. But I hope Rampage brings the heat. I also hope Stann brings the ruckus and crushes jaws.

Is this the one that was originally Edgar/Maynard III?

NomarTyme

I hope thiago get his ass handed to him.

Mattdaddy said:
I get the feeling the main event might be a boring decision. But I hope Rampage brings the heat. I also hope Stann brings the ruckus and crushes jaws.

Is this the one that was originally Edgar/Maynard III?
ya

Page
Big Country
Struve
Alves
Stann

Hopefully Torres wins and gains more confidence. Unfortunately Grove should be cut if he loses. Sucks for him .. Too tall and skinny to be a good weight for any class, IMO.

Messi

Its amazing how badly they potrayed roy nelson on TUF. He seems like such a nice guy who knows his shit about MMA.

Not the egotistical maniac TUF made him out to be.

Messi

-htownplaya- said:
Card looks weak, hope it turns out great.

Pulling for Big Country.

Gained much respect for Roy Nelson after the beating Dos Santos gave him and he still could not knock him out. He took some nasty ass shots.

Enosh

go Stefan!

I have no idea who the fuck he is, but he has the same first name as I do, so go him ^^

Biff

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Matt "The Hammer" Hamill
Heavyweight (265 lbs max): Frank Mir vs. Roy "Big Country" Nelson
Heavyweight: Stefan "The Skyscraper" Struve vs. Travis Browne
Welterweight (170 lbs): Thiago "Pitbull" Alves vs. Rick "The Horror" Story
Middleweight (185 lbs): Brian Stann vs. Jorge "The Belt Collector" Santiago

Big time War Hamill. He's got some juicy odds too.. Quite confident he'll take this. If we had more non-online MMA betting in Canada I'd put my money where my mouth is. But we don't, so I won't ;)

Hope this is the end of da spyda. It won't be though. Prelim fighter 4ever

The only way Hamill wins is if Rampage's heart is really no longer in fighting. Hamill's striking is bad and he leaves himself wide open. Rampage should be able to drop him in the first round.

DKehoe

Mir vs Nelson is a fight I've been looking forward to for a while, hoping it is mostly grappling but will probably be them standing and trading.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Skyscraper's fights are usually scrappy as hell, so I'm looking forward to that. I don't know much about his opponent though.

Biff

diamondstar said:
The only way Hamill wins is if Rampage's heart is really no longer in fighting. Hamill's striking is bad and he leaves himself wide open. Rampage should be able to drop him in the first round.
Two points:
1) Yes, I believe Rampage's heart is not in it anymore.
2) Regardless of 1, I still think Hamill will take this. He's going to take a hard shot and go into wrestle mode. Would it be a knockout in Rampage's prime? Maybe.. Matt's got a really good chin. Today? Helllll nah. He'll take the shot and outwrestle Rampage for the UD. Break his will through lay and pray.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hamill will win this easily, only person to beat Jones so should have no problem.

Not sure if I'll watch this one, looks a little dull.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
2 mullets on the same card, sign me up. Not expecting much from this card, but it could be okay.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Im down for this card. Sucks the main got pulled and all but Big Country Mir was what I wanted to see anyways. Someone find the youtube vid of them grappling.

Yeah I was pretty bummed about this card because of all the cancelled fights, but it still should be good. UFC 108 turned out to be a really entertaining card.

With that said, I don't know WTF they were thinking matching Travis Browne with Struve. It's a step down in competition for Stefan and Browne looked HORRIBLE against Kongo.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lol @ Countdown show. Talking about Story's previous win against Brandon Melendez, they put a pic of Gilbert Melendez up instead. I'm sure they should know who the SF LW champion is.

parasight

Bummed out about the main event rescheduling, but still excited to see Mighty Mouse and Alves. Struve always delivers an entertaining fight as well.

smurfx said:
lol wow what a shitty ppv.

You never really know how that will turn out, as we've seen before. Cards that looked good on paper ended up being snoozers and cards like this could end up being fantastic.

smurfx

get some go again
WickedAngel said:
You never really know how that will turn out, as we've seen before. Cards that looked good on paper ended up being snoozers and cards like this could end up being fantastic.
shitty in that you have to pay 50 dollars for a bunch of mid card fighters. sucky thing is that zuffa never lowers the price of the ppv when they lose all the big name fighters.

Don't want to pay for the PPV? Go to a bar and watch it. That's what I'm doing.

Also, SPECIAL DRINKING GAME for UFC 130: Take 3 shots every time someone mentions Matt Hamill's "victory" over Jon Jones as a positive thing for him.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Memorial Weekend and this is what they got for a card, pretty sad.

Quick Picks: Page, Country, Struve, Story, Stann, Demetrious, Grove, Olivera.

Mothman91

I was wondering do most of you guys go to a restaurant/bar to watch the event? Or do you order the PPV at home and pay it off yourselves/friends coming over?

Tenks

polyh3dron said:
Don't want to pay for the PPV? Go to a bar and watch it. That's what I'm doing.

Also, SPECIAL DRINKING GAME for UFC 130: Take 3 shots every time someone mentions Matt Hamill's "victory" over Jon Jones as a positive thing for him.

Can I finish an entire bottle of Joe Rogan says Hamill beat Bisping? Since I think anyone that watched the fight turned the TV off before the results were read already knowing what the outcome should have been.

Ryck

Mothman91 said:
I was wondering do most of you guys go to a restaurant/bar to watch the event? Or do you order the PPV at home and pay it off yourselves/friends coming over?
My friends always get together at one of our houses. We have a rotation in place and everyone pitches in 10 bux.

The card is definitely one of the more relevant ones. To add to the fights pointed out already, Escovedo vs. Barao and McDonald vs Cariaso fights is also worthwhile given the hype and potential future relevancy of Barao and McDonald. Seeing as how the BW divison is still somewhat thin, they will probably get top 10 fights in the near future if they win impressively. Escovedo vs. Barao seems like a decent fight on paper regardless.

If Tibau wins again Oliveira, that would probably push him further up the LW division. The only fight that doesn't really do much is Boetsch vs. Grove.

I can understand the card not getting much hype due to not having much "star power" (outside of Rampage). But not long ago, it was a card that was "so stacked Alves wasn't even on the main card." On the star power front, it's not as if Edgar or Maynard draw much either way. 125 did horribly in PPV and attendance figures.

polyh3dron said:
Shad??

Edit: I see you fixed it... All those explosive and athletic fighters look alike to you I take it
I missed before the edit, but i assume he mixed up Shad with Big Country.

Mothman91 said:
My friend often orders it and invites a bunch of us over. He won't take money but some of us just leave money somewhere before we leave. Otherwise we go to a bar, but it's hard to find one that's not really crowded. Been going to a new place. It's got no cover and the crowd isn't too bad unless BJ is fighting, but the food and service are pretty crappy.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Mothman91 said:
UFC events are shown on ESPN in the UK, don't need to pay extra for them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mothman91 said:

I go over to a friends house and whoever is there splits the tab.

WrikaWrek

Banned
TruthJunky said:
I don't quite get why people are down on this card. Unless you really only watch MMA for title fights and superstars (which is fine -- I'm not judging), there is a lot to love here.

I agree. I actually think this is gonna be an exciting UFC to see. Maybe not an exciting UFC to hype but....to see? Absolutely.

Purexed

Banned
WTF, Matt Hamill is headlining a UFC PPV?!? Zzzzzzzz...

EDIT - read the synopsis on how we got here. I'd put Mir and Country Biscuit as the headliner myself. *shrugs*

ShaneB

No idea how this card will turn out, but I guess that what has me so interested. Actually love a bunch of fighters on the card, so could be entertaining. A shame the original main event had to get axed.

No idea about picks, perhaps I'll just wait and predict each fight before it starts, since that worked out pretty well for me last ppv.

h_a_t

parrotbeak said:
I missed before the edit, but i assume he mixed up Shad with Big Country.

My friend often orders it and invites a bunch of us over. He won't take money but some of us just leave money somewhere before we leave. Otherwise we go to a bar, but it's hard to find one that's not really crowded. Been going to a new place. It's got no cover and the crowd isn't too bad unless BJ is fighting, but the food and service are pretty crappy.

That's the problem as the UFC has gotten more popular...crowded bars.
You have to get to a lot of these places that also have decent food and service fairly early to get a decent seat.

So far, we've preferred going to a friends house and all throwing in on the fight and food.
You're comfortable, it ends up being cheaper, and you can eat and drink whatever as you're not limited to the bar's menu.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom