• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar.gif

Amazing skill set here.

yo my last karate sensei would slap her

On the fence about ordering this one.

1) im definitely ordering 194 and dont want to drop 120 bones in 4 weeks on PPV fights

2) i feel burned from the last Rousey fight. Spent the money to see her toy with that Brazilian and she didnt.

3) my girlfriend is going to want to watch this and thats fine..but see #1. I get stuck with the bill.

HiResDes

Holly's hands look pretty quick, she's gonna need prime Chuck Lidell like takedown defense though, which doesn't bode well for her.

Holly's hands look pretty quick, she's gonna need prime Chuck Lidell like takedown defense though, which doesn't bode well for her.

Yeah her hand speed is nice. If this was just a striking match she would take this, unless Ronda landed a big punch. Technique wise Holly is far far far past Ronda, but Rousey does have power.

That said yeah, her takedown defense has to be incredible to have a hope in hell this fight.

Edmund is an idiot and I agree. No one will doubt rondas strength, ferocity and grappling skills, but her striking form is just awful.

Arm punches, limp wrists, no rotation from the waist/hips or shoulders... It looks like someone a month or so into boxercise classes and that's being polite.

She trains a lot and she really should have a lot better form than this. I'm surprised she hasn't seriously injured her wrists in her fights yet.

Yeah her form isn't good at all, I've boxed for a long while and been into amateur fights and there's close to no reasons why she would have that bad of a form with the kind of coaches and sparring partners that she has the opportunity to train with.

Shadow boxing is supposed to be about warming up while maintenaning a good rhythm, plus there's a reason why it's usually done in front of a mirror when starting. It's all about being scrupulous over what you throw, being meticulous in your technique, seeing what others see and improving upon it.

Then again, it's shadow boxing, can't go judging someone's improvement over a little gif of some limpy as hell super basic 1-2 punches. Chances are she was at the end of a set and getting tired anyway, probably just throwing while exerting the less movements possible. It just looks ridiculous to me that she does this when being filmed though, like it's to showcase improvement in her striking haha.

pixelation

Yeah her form isn't good at all, I've boxed for a long while and been into amateur fights and there's close to no reasons why she would have that bad of a form with the kind of coaches and sparring partners that she has the opportunity to train with.

Shadow boxing is supposed to be about warming up while maintenaning a good rhythm, plus there's a reason why it's usually done in front of a mirror when starting. It's all about being scrupulous over what you throw, being meticulous in your technique, seeing what others see and improving upon it.

Then again, it's shadow boxing, can't go judging someone's improvement over a little gif of some limpy as hell super basic 1-2 punches. Chances are she was at the end of a set and getting tired anyway, probably just throwing while exerting the less movements possible. It just looks ridiculous to me that she does this when being filmed though, like it's to showcase improvement in her striking haha.

No getting around it, her form is terrible. I am a boxer myself and watching her do that has me cringed into a pretzel.

No getting around it, her form is terrible. I am a boxer myself and watching her do that has me cringed into a pretzel.

I bet you a hundred that you looked horrible at least once too if you've ever done intensive workouts to prep you for tournies or a boxing match. I know I most definitely did at least a couple of times when burned out as hell after doing some jumping rope, shadow boxing, sandbag, sparring rounds, mitt rounds and then some more shadow rounds because the coach has asked you for them and there's just no backing out.

https://youtu.be/qCfWbsXfDsc?t=596

It's really hard to call this terrible in the context of women's MMA.

Edmond's mitts skills and footwork is inexistant. Shit that's bad. I bet you a thousand she'd improve leaps and bounds with a more knowledgable/skilled coach. But yeah, she's definitely better in the video than what is shown in the gif lol.

I don't have a gambling problem.
lol

dream

...............that looks terrible. For both of them.

Like cringe worthy bad. Wut.

I have never seen this fight

You're fairly new to the sport, right? Holly is...if this were 15 years ago, Joe would be calling her a "K-1-level striker."

I'm not really convinced that Holly is a better boxer than Ronda, really.

Edmund is an idiot and I agree. No one will doubt rondas strength, ferocity and grappling skills, but her striking form is just awful.

Arm punches, limp wrists, no rotation from the waist/hips or shoulders... It looks like someone a month or so into boxercise classes and that's being polite.

She trains a lot and she really should have a lot better form than this. I'm surprised she hasn't seriously injured her wrists in her fights yet.

That .gif lacks context. It was part of her grappling session and she's basically stretching/warming up muscles, not shadow boxing.

You guys are being played like a fiddle by the Honda haters.

Sounds great to me. Women are entertaining as he'll in the ring.

These PPV's are still to overpriced for me to buy it, but I'll look for a bar nearby that's showing it.

I wish UFC would copy the WWE Network and include monthly PPV's for a reasonable price.

Holm was a boxing champion in a division that was pretty terrible to be honest. Same could be said about Rousey in MMA though.

I'm not new to the sport at all. I have litteraly purchased every single PPV without missing a single one since UFC 84. I just DO NOT watch women's boxing, as I've always seen it as horribly shallow. And yes even shallower than women's MMA. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of women's boxing matches I have watched all the way through.

You're fairly new to the sport, right? Holly is...if this were 15 years ago, Joe would be calling her a "K-1-level striker."

Yeah, after watching that I'm not convinced either.....wow

I'm not new to the sport at all. I have litteraly purchased every single PPV without missing a single one since UFC 84. I just DO NOT watch women's boxing, as I've always seen it as horribly shallow. And yes even shallower than women's MMA. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of women's boxing matches I have watched all the way through.

Yeah, after watching that I'm not convinced either.....wow
Pretty sure you've mixed up the quotes/answers there. lol

dream

My friend polyh3dron and I are having a debate about this. He thinks that Holly is a better striker by default, but I think a lot of that is illusory. What Holly has is a body of work in a striking sport that we can reference. So Holly is better at boxing, but I'm not sure that necessarily means she's a better boxer.

Sounds great to me. Women are entertaining as he'll in the ring.

These PPV's are still to overpriced for me to buy it, but I'll look for a bar nearby that's showing it.

I wish UFC would copy the WWE Network and include monthly PPV's for a reasonable price.

Women are tough as fucking nails, that's what's so entertaining. Joanna Jedrzejczyk Is the true main event for me this weekend, can't wait to see her back in action, now that's some good as hell striking technique. Hunt Vs Silva is going to be awesome too if their first fight is anything to go by.

My friend polyh3dron and I are having a debate about this. He thinks that Holly is a better striker by default, but I think a lot of that is illusory. What Holly has is a body of work in a striking sport that we can reference. So Holly is better at boxing, but I'm not sure that necessarily means she's a better boxer.

I question Holly's boxing in an MMA context entirely. Since she's been in MMA, she's become entirely reliant on staying way, waaaaay on the outside. That's why she kicks so much now.

It's probably because she does't want to get taken down, but her boxing (however good it is or isn't) becomes almost completely a non-factor when she's way out-of-range for throwing hands most of the time.

dream

I question Holly's boxing in an MMA context entirely. Since she's been in MMA, she's become entirely reliant on staying way, waaaaay on the outside. That's why she kicks so much now.

It's probably because she does't want to get taken down, but her boxing (however good it is or isn't) becomes almost completely a non-factor when she's way out-of-range for throwing hands most of the time.

That's a really good point. You'd think that with her background, she could control distance with her jab. But she just...doesn't.

The one thing I will say is Holly is a far superior kicker to Rousey, as in she actually uses them. Ronda's are almost non existent.

That's true, only relying on punches just to set up kicks is pretty much what she does now that she's in MMA, plus using the jab to stay on the outside.

That's a really good point. You'd think that with her background, she could control distance with her jab. But she just...doesn't.

Hmm, pretty sure she does. She uses side kicks too.

That's true, only relying on punches just to set up kicks is pretty much what she does now that she's in MMA, plus using the jab to stay on the outside.

I agree with this. The only aspect of her game I've been impressed with in her UFC tenure is her distance management. She is good at staying on the outside.

Exactly, dream. It's a complete mystery.

Actually, in the UFC, she's been doing the opposite. Controlling distance with lots of looooong kicks that keep her opponent away, but take her out of effective striking range with her hands. When she lands a kick, or at least rocks her opponent with a blocked/partially blocked kick, she then has to quickly try to move and lean in to follow up with punches.

This is bad for three reasons: A) Most of the time the follow-up comes too late B) The leaning in means she's throwing punches primarily off her front foot, which is terrible for a boxer, and C) it takes a helluva lot of energy to do.

She's also been pretty straightforward with working the centerline.

Lots of front kicks/push kicks/teeps to keep opponents away too.

Weckum

Hoping Ronda gets smashed but I know that won't happen. More excited about the Joanna fight actually.

And of course Huntu vs Bigfoot is kind of fun, although I feel they're gonna be gassed after a minute.

Didn't even know Struve was fighting on this card. His fights are always entertaining, win or lose. Hope he wins but will settle for a classic 'Struve gets his KTFO'

BadAss2961

You're not convinced that if they fought under boxing rules that Holly would outclass her? Ronda's been working on boxing for like 3 years. Miesha was outboxing her.

Actually, in the UFC, she's been doing the opposite. Controlling distance with lots of looooong kicks that keep her opponent away, but take her out of effective striking range with her hands. When she lands a kick, or at least rocks her opponent with a blocked/partially blocked kick, she then has to quickly try to move and lean in to follow up with punches.
The opposite of what? She's been using jabs to keep opponents on the outside for sure, connecting or not, jabs can still be used to keep opponents at bay and she's been doing so. She throws lots of side kicks to the bod to keep her distance too since 1) it hurts as hell and 2) it's quick, and you recover quick too in a manner where your body is not upright like a teep kick would.

She's been setting up kicks with punches since her very first MMA fight, again, connecting with them is not a necessity for them to work as a set up.That's her bread and butter when it comes to throwing some vicious kicks, and hiding kicks behind punches is what kickboxers do. It's basics.

Not sure what you are arguing about, she's been doing those since starting MMA.

That .gif lacks context. It was part of her grappling session and she's basically stretching/warming up muscles, not shadow boxing.

You guys are being played like a fiddle by the Honda haters.
That is shadow boxing. She's punching, badly and you know it. No one stretches like that while trying to go into a boxing stance and throwing punches. Do you also strap your hands for grappling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom