• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.
UFCPosterFoxCainVelasquezJuniorDosSantos.jpg

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is making its network TV debut on Fox this Saturday by presenting the World Heavyweight Title bout between the division's two most promising fighters in champ Cain Velasquez and challenger Junior dos Santos. This event is taking place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. Hardcore fans have been naming this as one of their dream matchups for almost a couple of years now, long before Cain was the champ and it is now finally coming to fruition after a few delays.

The main event is the only fight that will be shown on Fox's one hour broadcast (regardless of the fight's length, even if it lasts 10 seconds) but there is also a very high quality undercard of fights which will be streaming live both via the UFC's Facebook Page and also on FoxSports.com.

The UFC's deal with Fox doesn't officially start until next year when they will air 4 full fight cards on the main network in the 2012 calendar year along with a number of Fight Night-caliber cards on FX. This show is considered to be a "bonus" show and was put together quickly which is why this particular show is only one hour long and will only show one fight. In 2012 the one hour/one fight thing will not be the norm.

So, here's the full fight card:

i3Y0aPy64Kwbs.png

Watch the full UFC Primetime: Velasquez vs. dos Santos show which aired on Fox

Again, this is the main event for the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Since it's a championship fight, it's scheduled for 5 rounds (5 minutes each) as opposed to 3 rounds. Heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez won the title over a year ago at the same venue with a TKO victory over Brock Lesnar. Velasquez then underwent surgery for a torn rotator cuff which has sidelined him ever since.

Junior Dos Santos officially earned his title shot at UFC 117 in August of 2010 by winning a dominating decision over Ultimate Fighter winner Roy Nelson and has been waiting in line for it ever since. When Cain got injured, JDS decided to be a coach for a season of The Ultimate Fighter opposite Brock Lesnar, and they were supposed to fight after the season's conclusion for yet another #1 contender bout. Lesnar had to pull out of the fight to undergo surgery for the diverticulitis that he thought was gone which left JDS to fight Shane Carwin. Dos Santos won a convincing unanimous decision over Carwin, and held on to his title shot as a result.

This fight was originally scheduled to be on Pay Per View at UFC 139 in San Jose, but when the UFC struck their monumental deal with Fox they had to move some things around to put a great matchup on their network debut.

The biggest question mark in this fight is going to be how well Velasquez has recovered from the major surgery he had. If he's back to the way he was, then his wrestling prowess may be too much for dos Santos. Then again, dos Santos has displayed exceptional takedown defense as well as a knack for getting back on his feet very quickly in the event that he finds himself on the ground.

As far as heavyweights in MMA go, this has the makings of the greatest matchup since Fedor vs. Cro Cop. Only time will tell if the fight delivers on a level even close to that.

ibryzKAsXHjJCz.png

THIS FIGHT AND THE ONES BELOW WILL NOT AIR ON FOX, THEY WILL BE STREAMED LIVE ON THE UFC'S FACEBOOK PAGE AND FOXSPORTS.COM BEGINNING AT 1:45pm PT / 4:45pm ET

This is a fight to determine who will be the next person to challenge UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar for his title some time in early 2012.

Nearly two years ago, after getting choked out by perennial contender Kenny Florian and dropping a split decision to then-top lightweight contender Diego Sanchez, Clay Guida was thought to be nothing more than a fringe gatekeeper in the 155lb division. Since then he has racked up four consecutive wins and is now one fight away from a shot at the UFC Lightweight Championship.

Standing in his way is former WEC champion Benson Henderson. Many thought that the lightweight fighters coming over from WEC would not have any chance at all in competing with the UFC's lightweights. Ben Henderson now has a UFC win over Mark Bocek and an especially dominating win over then-top contender Jim Miller. If he's able to add Clay Guida's name to that list he will have the next shot at the 155lb UFC title.

With both fighters having wrestling backgrounds and Guida's tendency to brawl when he can't get a fight to the floor, this fight looks to be a classic as well.

ikotT3aCD7lSV.png

This looks to be yet another very entertaining fight. Dustin Poirier made a name for himself at UFC 125 when, as a late replacement for an injured Jose Aldo and in his debut as a featherweight he pulled off a HUGE upset against then-#1 contender Josh Grispi in a shutout 30-27 unanimous decision. He defeated Jason Young after that at UFC 131 and with a win here over Pablo Garza on top of that he would have to be considered "in the mix" as UFC President Dana White would say, referring to being in title contention.

Pablo Garza is coming off a highlight reel-worthy flying triangle victory over Yves Jabouin at UFC 129 and will be trying to maintain any kind of career momentum he still may have from that fight. He's 11-1 and this will be his 4th fight under the Zuffa banner. These are two promising up-and-comers who need this win to advance in their careers and it should be a great fight.

The rest of the card:

ieUMKne5HwETf.png

iUDSZRLVZkBch.png

iWKeqs80ZFNN1.png

mtqg4w.gif

agrajag

Banned
Wooohooo, it's on Fox! That means I can DVR it and not have to watch youtube videos the next day like some scrub!

edit: Cain looks weird in that photo. Like they photoshopped a different nose on him or something.

unomas

Banned
I got no cable! But I have an HD antenna bitches! I'm all over this one. And the 60 minute special they had on these guys was amazing, watched it on Fox Sports website a few days back, it's hard to root against either of these guys when you see where they've come from.

Troblin

so what is the actual format? Are they showing any of the undercard fights on Fox, or just the Dos Santos/Cain bout?

The broadcast is only 1 hour. Only Cain/JDS will be on the fox broadcast.

All others will be on foxsports.com as well as the UFC Facebook page.

Jamie OD

I'm getting hyped for the UFC again when I looked at the shows that are left to take place this year. Fingers crossed this fight does not disappoint. My fingers are also crossed that main event fighters stop injuring themselves so no more fights I want to see get cancelled.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
prelims actually really suck
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson[1]
Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Pablo Garza[1]
Featherweight bout: Cub Swanson vs. Ricardo Lamas[1]
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Clay Harvison[1]
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Darren Uyenoyama[1]
Featherweight bout: Mackens Semerzier vs. Robert Peralta[1]
Bantamweight bout: Alex Caceres vs. Cole Escovedo[1]
Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Paul Bradley[1]
Light Heavyweight bout: Aaron Rosa vs. Matt Lucas[1]

AstroLad said:
prelims actually really suck
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson[1] - #1 contender fight, should be amazing
Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Pablo Garza[1] - poirier upset grispi and garza is coming off a fucking FLYING TRIANGLE VICTORY
Featherweight bout: Cub Swanson vs. Ricardo Lamas[1] - should be an entertaining scrap
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Clay Harvison[1] - both lower level guys, but evenly matched and will probably go hard
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Darren Uyenoyama[1] - a relatively green fighter to help KID to get back into the swing of things, he used to be in DREAM so this is probably who KID would have fought next had he stayed there anyways
Featherweight bout: Mackens Semerzier vs. Robert Peralta[1] - showcase fight for peralta, who has been on a tear including beating DREAM FW champ Takaya
Bantamweight bout: Alex Caceres vs. Cole Escovedo[1] Cole gets to redeem himself and send Bruce Leeroy the FUCK out of the UFC until they get a flyweight division
Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Paul Bradley[1] - good matchup IMO
Light Heavyweight bout: Aaron Rosa vs. Matt Lucas[1] - shit fight
looks like a pretty good free undercard to me.

tass0

Banned
Jamie OD said:
I'm getting hyped for the UFC again when I looked at the shows that are left to take place this year. Fingers crossed this fight does not disappoint. My fingers are also crossed that main event fighters stop injuring themselves so no more fights I want to see get cancelled.

The remaining fights for the year are fucking amazing.

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos
Shogun Rua vs. Dan Henderson
Alistair Overeem vs. Brock Lesnar
Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida

3/4 are dream match ups for me.

Plus Bendo/Guida, Kampmann/Story, Nogueira/Mir, Lil Nog/Tito Ortiz, Wanderlei/Cung Le, Mayhem/Bisping, Diaz/Cerrone, and Matyushenko/Gustafsson.

MMA in 2011 is geeeeeeewd.

jorma

is now taking requests
i hope JDS wins this, it's impossible to not root for him when he is soooo adorable :)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ninja Scooter said:
I NEED A MINUTE TO MYSELF!!!

33u4oxw.jpg

I'm gonna miss out on this :( be away fishing :'(.

Wouldn't be surprised if JDS win, Cains been out of action for a fair while now. Both dudes are beasts though and it will be a pretty killer fight.

Hope Bendo puts Clay and Pray out, son of a bitch ruined Pettis.

yacobod

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Pffft, Bendo by sexy legs.

pffft by guida looking busy with his caveman dance. and being honest i don't see where bendo is better than guida in any area of mma. this fight seems pretty academic.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
He looked real good against Miller with the wrasslin and all that, will see how it goes. They can have a hair battle afterwards anyway.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm siding with Dos Santos on this one. Met him last year and I promised that I'd route for him in all his fights.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
shorty_symd said:

One of my most anticipated fights of the year.
I having a really hard time picking a favorite i really like both fighters, going over their tapes im leaning slightly towards Cain, only ever so slightly.
Its gonna be a good match...who ever wins we all win in the end.

P.S Its on FOX, sorta live streams should be everywhere then...YAY!

shorty_symd said:
I'm siding with Dos Santos on this one. Met him last year and I promised that I'd route for him in all his fights.

He appreciates this very much.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cain/dos santos - who cares! real mma fans will be watching the return of bruce lee roy :)

y2dvd

Kinda weird to have an hr long program and the actual fight airing on Fox can end in the first round.

Malvolio

Excited to finally have the UFC on Fox, but only the main event is a bummer. Hope this doesn't become standard practice.

Malvolio said:
Excited to finally have the UFC on Fox, but only the main event is a bummer. Hope this doesn't become standard practice.
This is just a one-off thing that was put together quickly right when the Fox deal was reached. 4 full fledged fight cards will be shown on Fox in 2012.

Az987

all good things
So what fights are going to be on Fox Deportes?

Just Guida vs Henderson and Poirier vs Garza?

agrajag said:
What are they going to do if the fight ends in the first round? Would they show the prelims then?
They'll use that time to promote the upcoming PPVs. Apparently Brock Lesnar is going to be part of the show somehow. Dana White has gone on record saying that whether this fight lasts 25 minutes or 25 seconds it will be the only fight shown on Fox.

And yes, if you're one of the 6 people that get Fox Deportes you can see Poirier vs. Garza and Guida vs. Henderson live on that channel.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Poly can you watch the Facebook fights after they've ended on FB? I want to catch Smooth's fight but I might not be near a computer when it happens.

sazabirules said:
Poly can you watch the Facebook fights after they've ended on FB? I want to catch Smooth's fight but I might not be near a computer when it happens.
no idea, i've only ever tried watching them live.

ShaneB

Undercard looks awesome. Lots of lighter weight classes will hopefully make it seem like a WEC card of old.

Sucks that the main event is all that is being shown on FOX, but at least the rest of the fights are viewable online. I figure with the promos and all that, the fight won't start until like 9:20 anyway.

No idea who to pick for the winner, but seeing JDS on TUF made me really appreciate his personality, would love to see him win, but Cain is a beast too. It can go 5 rounds, or either guy can demolish the other in the first minute.

sazabirules said:

Yes you can. And it's preferable that way, can fast forward through all the crap and streamline it so it's fight after fight.

Az987

all good things
polyh3dron said:
And yes, if you're one of the 6 people that get Fox Deportes you can see Poirier vs. Garza and Guida vs. Henderson live on that channel.

lol, I checked when I saw it was going to be on there and found out that I do get it but its not in HD and its in Spanish so I don't know if I'll even bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom