• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Really hyped for this. I hoping Velasquez wins.

Going to have to DVR this while we watch football. Plus, if it's anything like the other UFC fights on Spike!, you know Fox is going to have a TON of commercials. So, watching it on delay via the DVR means we can skip right to the fights.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Great way to advertise the sport to new viewers by only having one fight on Fox. Nice job UFC.
Casuals only ever really care about the main event anyways. They're conditioned to think that all the other fights have nobodies in them.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Chamber said:
vzd3tl.jpg

Not sure about a winner for this one.

LOLOLOL

TheNatural

My Member!
Good night for fight fans. A whole card of UFC fights free. Then Pacquaio-Marquez III right after. Beer might be mandatory Saturday.

polyh3dron said:
Casuals only ever really care about the main event anyways. They're conditioned to think that all the other fights have nobodies in them.
I know but part of the UFC success and appeal is that they try to make every fight mean something. They generally buildup everyone, even lay and prayers and guys with no personality. I just think they missed an opportunity by not at least having another fight with fighters in a light weight class that push the pace and look to finish.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
I know but part of the UFC success and appeal is that they try to make every fight mean something. They generally buildup everyone, even lay and prayers and guys with no personality. I just think they missed an opportunity by not at least having another fight with fighters in a light weight class that push the pace and look to finish.
Fox could only give them a one hour time slot on such short notice and it's also because the UFC does not want to go up against Manny Pacquiao. This show is basically the UFC getting their feet wet and they don't want to piss off their new partners by going over the alotted time like Strikeforce did with their ill-fated Nashville card on CBS. Cain vs. JDS has the possibility of lasting 30 minutes, Bendo vs. Guida could (and most likely will) last up to 20 minutes. Add in to that the walkouts, Bruce Buffer introductions and everything and it's a recipe for disaster. They also want a bit of time to promote their upcoming PPVs. Considering all of these conditions, the UFC is making the right decision here.

Come 2012 there will be the full cards you are talking about, and the prelims will apparently be shown on Fuel instead of Facebook. This one event is just the beginning.

TheNatural

My Member!
I hope they start the show with the fight, that's all I can say. FOX has this bad habit of getting the rights to some sport and trying to make a "For Dummies" version of the broadcast. When they had hockey they did it with the yellow trails on the puck. They do it with various shit in NASCAR over the years. And probably the most horrible was FOX's totally shit coverage of the BCS games.

Fighting is the simplest thing in the world to understand, you don't need to know all the techniques, what a rubber guard is or a D'Arce choke is to watch a fight. All you need to see is two guys ready to take each other out for a heavyweight title.

I really hope they don't start the show with a 'What is UFC' paid program with lots of crappy widepan, zoom in, action docu-mercial. I can see it now ...

Show starts.

::Widepan view of Vegas::

"What is UFC, more importantly, what is MMA and why did it become so popular? You have to go back to its roots starting with Bruce Lee ... " followed by random black room quotes from Rogan, Dana, and Liddell.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

Just you wait. We'll be getting a 30 minute paid program before the fight starts and then they'll be wondering why ratings weren't great.

I see your point with all those conditions, it just seems very uncharacteristic of the UFC and Dana to not go all out with an opportunity like this. Hopefully their four events next year are given enough time and they chose carefully what fighters to place on the card that have the ability to bring in fans.

ShaneB

TheNatural said:
I hope they start the show with the fight, that's all I can say. FOX has this bad habit of getting the rights to some sport and trying to make a "For Dummies" version of the broadcast. When they had hockey they did it with the yellow trails on the puck. They do it with various shit in NASCAR over the years. And probably the most horrible was FOX's totally shit coverage of the BCS games.

Fighting is the simplest thing in the world to understand, you don't need to know all the techniques, what a rubber guard is or a D'Arce choke is to watch a fight. All you need to see is two guys ready to take each other out for a heavyweight title.

I really hope they don't start the show with a 'What is UFC' paid program with lots of crappy widepan, zoom in, action docu-mercial. I can see it now ...

Show starts.

::Widepan view of Vegas::

"What is UFC, more importantly, what is MMA and why did it become so popular? You have to go back to its roots starting with Bruce Lee ... " followed by random black room quotes from Rogan, Dana, and Liddell.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

Just you wait. We'll be getting a 30 minute paid program before the fight starts and then they'll be wondering why ratings weren't great.

Well, like I said, the fight won't start until about 9:20 or so I think. They'll do some promos, some hype. Then the entrances, and introductions. As poly mentioned, the title fight can last 30 seconds or 30 minutes, so it's gotta have time to finish before 10.

TheNatural

My Member!
ShaneB said:
Well, like I said, the fight won't start until about 9:20 or so I think. They'll do some promos, some hype. Then the entrances, and introductions. As poly mentioned, the title fight can last 30 seconds or 30 minutes, so it's gotta have time to finish before 10.

I bet you the entrances are ignored and they don't start things until they are in the octagon. I wonder what the policies are for licensed music being on broadcast TV are, because they're usually cut out or ignored whenever it's not a PPV event.

pr0cs

Really pissed that they couldn't sneak the Guida / Bendo match in with the 1 hour event. I kept pestering DW on twitter to do it.
I remember seeing Cain at 83 in Montreal for his first UFC bout and it was pretty obvious the cat was going to make waves. That being said this is a really difficult fight to pick. We really haven't seen JDS fight against a guy who had good takedowns so I suspect that is part of AKAs gameplan.

I'm leaning towards JDS just due to some of the crazy damage that Cain took in the Kongo fight, that and the long layoff from surgery.

I'm really curious to see how the format will change with Fox, no more death metal intro, no more 'gladiator' intros.

TheNatural said:
I bet you the entrances are ignored and they don't start things until they are in the octagon. I wonder what the policies are for licensed music being on broadcast TV are, because they're usually cut out or ignored whenever it's not a PPV event.
They usually show the walkouts for the main event and sometimes the co-main if they have time. 138, the last Versus show and 120 come to mind... Akiyama's walkout for the Bisping fight etc. I'm pretty sure we'll see the walkouts and everything.

MjFrancis

pr0cs said:
Really pissed that they couldn't sneak the Guida / Bendo match in with the 1 hour event.
Ditto. I'm looking forward to this almost, if not as much as the main event. The lightweight division is so much deeper than heavyweight it's not even funny.

I hoping that the Ben Henderson train rolls over Guida and straight to Edgar. It's not going to be easy, though!

MjFrancis

Host Samurai said:
No way this fight will go the distance. I got JDS winning in round 1 or 2 by TKO stoppage.
I agree that it's not going to go the distance, and while I hope your JDS prediction is correct, I've got Cain in RD2 by TKO on my card.

sazabirules said:
Poly can you watch the Facebook fights after they've ended on FB? I want to catch Smooth's fight but I might not be near a computer when it happens.
I've tried and it seems like unless you at least had it running live it won't work. But if you get it running when it first starts and leave (or fall asleep as I sometimes do) you can replay it for as long as you have your browser running. But if you didn't have it running live, later it doesn't come up as an option to play; you just get the previews and whatnot.

Interesting so many are picking JDS. I'm not sure how to pick but I lean towards Cain.

yacobod

Banned
Clay Guida said:
Ben Henderson is a high-level competitor,” Guida told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He’s been on a tear as of late. That was the best Ben Henderson we’ve seen that dominated Jim Miller. … I’m expecting another great camp from Ben Henderson. I want him in tip-top shape. That way, after I defeat him, the UFC can’t deny [me] a long-awaited title shot.

People can say what they want,” Guida said. “It’s impossible to have a boring fight against Anthony Pettis. I was defending submissions and ground-and-pounding him for 15 minutes and taking him down at will. I think people that thought that was a boring fight might be watching a different fight.

Kenny Florian was a big day in my life,” Guida said. “It was a turning point as far as, I learned a lesson fighting Kenny: not to strike with a striker. I need to fight my fight, and that’s been the [strategy] the past four or five fights.

I’m going to go out and prove that I’m the number one contender,” Guida said. “There’s no clear-cut number one contender, evidently, on paper, because Ben Henderson beat Jim Miller, who was the number one contender and now we’re fighting. I’m going to prove that I am the number one contender in the lightweight division. I’m going to let people know that ‘The Carpenter’ is here to stay.

Carpenter is going to outbox and outsmother Bendo.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
In all seriousness, I would love for this to happen in the Cain v. JDS fight:

QViAw.gif

Also the Brock v. Reem fight.

It's nice to want things, I know.

agrajag

Banned
Plywood said:

QViAw.gif

Bricks would be shat.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
yacobod said:
Cain - via supreme cardio and dominant wrestling
Guida - via better wrestling and better striking
Agreed.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Plywood said:

QViAw.gif

Such an epic moment. I think that was the first Pride card I stayed up to watch.

EDIT: Actually no, I think I saw some recap of this in a later PRIDE event. Still awesome though.

Heel

yacobod said:
Carpenter is going to outbox and outsmother Bendo.

This pro-Guida angle you're taking is pretty surprising, yaco. I don't know what to make of it quite yet. Elaborate trolling scheme?

According to a banner ad on this page, there will be a pre-show on Fuel at 4pm PT / 7pm ET and a post-show on fuel after the fight as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fuel TV will air the weighins @ 7 EST on Friday. They also have some special on (I'm not sure if it's prelim fights, just says "Pre-fight special") @ 7 EST Saturday. Channel 618 on Directv.

The intro is going to be absolutely dreadful for longtime fans. "This is a cage, it has 8 sides, therefore it is called the ocatagon. Fights are staged with real rules, not no holds barred."

polyh3dron said:
According to a banner ad on this page, there will be a pre-show on Fuel at 4pm PT / 7pm ET and a post-show on fuel after the fight as well.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu why does it have to be Fuel?! I have every other channel in existence but that. I even have the Oprah Network damnit.

MjFrancis

CaptYamato said:
Bendo is the better striker and has good wrestling. I think he will win beause of size advantage.
x2, even though I don't know if his wresting is up to Guida's par. I'm glad Dana's giving the winner of this fight a shot at Edgar, because looking at their records they both are pretty hot right now. Like you, I'll give it to Ben on account of his size. Probably a decision, but it'll be a good match. Guida would have to take it by sub.

A media conference call just wrapped up for this event, and there are some interesting tidbits about the Fox deal as a whole as well as some reiteration of old info. Here's a recap of what will be airing on Fox channels in the 2012 calendar year:

4 fight cards on Fox, 6 fight cards on FX, 2 seasons of the new live TUF show on FX

In regards to what they'll be filling the rest of the hour up with on Saturday:
Dana White said:
There's gonna be explaining and story telling. We know we're not dealing with typical UFC fans.
Fuel TV head George Greenberg says:
George Greenberg said:
25% of programming will be dedicated to the UFC. Over 2000 hours.
Adds Fox's Eric Shanks:
Eric Shanks said:
We need to introduce the world to the UFC on Fuel. Need to let people know Fuel is going to be THE home of the UFC.
Shanks also mentions that the UFC shows on Fox proper going forward will all be about 1.5 hours in duration, so it looks like the Fox shows will all have 2 or 3 fights on them. All prelims will be shown either on FX or Fuel, no more Facebook streams.

I am picking JDS because he has been much more dominant in his fights than Cain has. What he did to Nelson and Carwin was more impressive than Cain's wins. Cain beat an over the hill Nog and Lesnar, who actually was winning the fight till he got hit. I am really not sold on Cain yet.

yacobod

Banned
polyh3dron said:
lol you can tell that Cain can't stand being promoted as a MEXICAN MEXICAN MEXICAN fighting for LA RAZA

he doesn't seem to have a problem filming ufc promos while driving in his dream car a stereotypical gran torino, and hyping up his hard working mexican heritage.

i'm not criticizing him or the ufc however. fighting is always ethnically or racially driven. and the mexican fanbase is potentially huge for the ufc.

lol that same guy who was asking if JDS would use the left or right hand to KO Cain was at the last presser at the W Hotel too. Dude was obnoxious as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom