• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what there is to be upset about. Aren't knockouts and TKOs what people want anyway? It's better to see a knockout in under a minute than to watch a 25 minute GSP mat hump.

Beardz

Slizz said:
Spend 10 minutes with the guy and you won't like him. I remember 2 years ago hanging out with him in my mutual friends apartment and him just talking out of his ass(like he does now) just consuming stamps of acid.... like 4-5 in front of you, who knows how many before/after.... Guy is delirious about life.

EDIT: and that was every occasion I saw him he was doing the same thing, acid over and over for about 6-8 months I was around him.

F1MaW.jpg

If Dana is really mad about tonight than he is an idiot. What did he expdect to happen when you put 2 HWs that like to strike in there? Granted, it would have been nice for this to be Forrest/Bonnar 2, but you can't predict a match up like that. He should have been prepared for the much more likely scenario that someone gets KO'd early. It's either that or a long boring fight. Those 2 scenarios are much easier to predict than an all time great war.

Rur0ni

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I don't understand what there is to be upset about. Aren't knockouts and TKOs what people want anyway? It's better to see a knockout in under a minute than to watch a 25 minute GSP mat hump.
:lol

Arment said:
Dana always reps the KO victory on TUF because KOs = ratings. Not sure why he'd be mad in this case people love KOs.

it wasn't really a highlight KO. Temple/ear shots aren't always the flashiest, not like seeing someone get their jaw jacked and be out on their feet.

Instro

It's really a shame they didn't get to broadcast the Guida fight as well. Would have been a perfect contrast between how the sport can have a 3 round war, or a flash knockout.

Heel

Instro said:
It's really a shame they didn't get to broadcast the Guida fight as well. Would have been a perfect contrast between how the sport can have a 3 round war, or a flash knockout.

I'm pretty sure it was said that FOX wanted to "focus on the title fight" for the broadcast. I'm sure in hindsight they would've liked to have had it air.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
WanderingWind said:
Just got back from this live. The Guida fight was entertaining as hell, as was the two skinny dudes earlier, but the title fight was hilarious. So much hype...15 seconds.
What was the crowd like live? Were they going to riot?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Worst possible outcome for tonight would've been a controversial decision where people think it's rigged. At least the main event was decisive.

i never understood the Cain hype anyhow. His loss was no surprise. It is pretty sad that he got to call himself a heavyweight champ for 13 months without fighting. I have been saying for 13 months that he will lose his first title defense. Glad to see Dos Santos be the guy to do it. Love that guy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MustacheBandit_ said:
i never understood the Cain hype anyhow. His loss was no surprise. It is pretty sad that he got to call himself a heavyweight champ for 13 months without fighting. I have been saying for 13 months that he will lose his first title defense. Glad to see Dos Santos be the guy to do it. Love that guy.
what do you mean you never understood the hype? the division is a joke so it doesn't take much to become the champ. beating a wwe guy or winging a punch that most competent amateur boxers would see coming from ten miles away have been enough recently

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MustacheBandit_ said:
#1 Heavyweight all time.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
yacobod said:
i went to see judas priest today so i missed the fights live, impressive win for jds, surprised he won so easily. respect.

I thought your man Clay was going to fight in Japan. What happened?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
yacobod said:
did he lose? oh well, i don't always pick them right. i got frankie over either one of those guys anyways.

Guida should fight Maynard now.

I also hope JP was good. Isn't K. K. not in the band anymore?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
yacobod said:
i went to see judas priest today so i missed the fights live, impressive win for jds, surprised he won so easily. respect.

You missed out on Brock screaming for vengeance. But JDS came out all guns blazing and if you expected it to be anything else other than a JDS win, you've got another thing coming.

I hope the Priest gig was great.

Panzon

sazabirules said:

This. It would be hilarious and the winner should fight Nate Diaz so they can get subbed in the second round

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I was really hoping that Dana White would join the broadcast as a color man, also. Then his journey to becoming Vince McMahon would be complete.

chuckddd said:
I was really hoping that Dana White would join the broadcast as a color man, also. Then his journey to becoming Vince McMahon would be complete.

And then, during Diaz/GSP, Diaz gets GSP in a triangle and Dana makes the ref call the fight.

yacobod

Banned
sazabirules said:

ya KK left the band before this tour, they sounded pretty good and halford wasn't actually reading off a teleprompter all night. setlist was actually pretty good.

to industrian, well played. concert was good.

nuts that JDS had a torn meniscus 10 days before the fight.

punches to the back of the ear are a bitch.

industrian

chuckddd said:

That moment is reserved for when Diaz puts GSP in the sharpshooter and Dana shouts at Herb Dean to end the fight.

RBH

chuckddd said:
And then during every match, Dana can shout out, "WHAT A MANEUVER!".

yacobod

Banned
except vince started as a color man and then revealed himself to be the owner.

i heard dana was making a big stink about the stoppage. i guess he was bitching it was stopped to early.

industrian

yacobod said:
except vince started as a color man and then revealed himself to be the owner.

Well he's got the People's Champ Chael Sonnen on his side so I guess the UFC Corporation angle is building up. I can't wait for the Higher Power development "IT WAS ME OVEREEM! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
industrian said:
Well he's got the People's Champ Chael Sonnen on his side so I guess the UFC Corporation angle is building up. I can't wait for the Higher Power development "IT WAS ME OVEREEM! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"
Joe Rogan: OHHH OHH WHAT THE FUCK
GOLDBERG: IT IS ALL OVER
JR: BAH SUN OF A BITCH

agrajag

Banned
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

UFC/Fox made a gamble only airing one fight and looks like they lost out. Really happy for JDS though! :D

industrian

y2dvd said:
What's funny is I bet Dana wouldn't even be mad if this happened on a ppv event.

Well a PPV would have made them money (this Fox show is a net loss for the UFC) and would have zero chance of damaging the brand.

There were so many things that could have gone wrong in this Fox show, and very few things that could have "gone right." But having your heavyweight champion - someone billed to be a complete badass - knocked out in 1 minute is not the best way to win over non-fans and casuals. So when you put it in that perspective, it's no wonder why Dana was a bit pissed off.

agrajag

Banned
And WTF was with Dana sitting in the announcers booth? Legitimate sport my ass. Do you see David Stern sitting in the announcers booth in the NBA championship game? Fuck no. Get off my TV, Dana White!

Donthizz#

agrajag said:
And WTF was with Dana sitting in the announcers booth? Legitimate sport my ass. Do you see David Stern sitting in the announcers booth in the NBA championship game? Fuck no. Get off my TV, Dana White!

Dana white is a promoter, that's what they do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom