• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
CommonSense said:
my friend is on the a/v team for this event and just texted a bunch of us that "Dana has been vocally murdering the ref for ending the fight to soon"

Classy, what a asshole Dana White is.

After the Fedor vs. Hendo fight, Dana should shut the fuck up.

Then again, remembering the late stoppage in Brock vs. Velasquez or the non-existent stoppage in Brock vs. Carwin and I can see what Dana is getting at.

Heel

Ninja Scooter said:
Nobody in mma can take a punch solidly to the temple. Cain might have a suspect chin, this fight doesn't prove it.

Yep. Equilibrium shot. Not a single man would be standing after that punch.

Godslay

Banned
Kogepan said:
u still think cain can take a punch? even after THIS and the kongo fight?

Way to miss the point. He is saying that getting hit in that area drops fighters just as often as a temple or chin knock. Has nothing to do with whether or not Cain can take a punch. It's pretty much a guaranteed knock down or out in the ear/side/back of the head.

Kogepan said:
good stoppage, cain just turned his back and couldnt even move his arms to block any punches. Or maybe Dana just wanted JDS to deliver the deathblow for the Fox audience.

Here's his text

Jesus fuck d w is fucking murdering the ref All I can hear is he wanted blood and that he doesn't deserve this shit

Centurion

Banned
im sorta hoping reem gets passed brock just to see him completely outclassed by the faster striker in JDS. But I don't see reem getting passed brock's takedowns/GnP.

Kogepan

Ninja Scooter said:
Nobody in mma can take a punch solidly to the temple. Cain might have a suspect chin, this fight doesn't prove it.

like i said, cain has very little ring experience, but his chin is VERY suspect to me. JDS hit carwin and nelson with MUCH bigger/cleaner/crisper shots.

Kogepan said:
like i said, cain has very little ring experience, but his chin is VERY suspect to me. JDS hit carwin and nelson with MUCH bigger/cleaner/crisper shots.
His chin is suspect. HE DIDN'T GET HIT IN THE CHIN.

Salih

i dunno what Dana is so pissed about. he said himself "30 sec or 30min - this is going to be a war". suck it down. anything can happen in this sport. it is unpredictable and the reason why we watch it. duh.

If I remember correctly UFC is still under contract with Spike until the end of this year and aren't allowed to do a full card on Fox yet. That's why it was a 1 fight special. People upset about mma being unpredictable shouldn't watch mma. If you want a guaranteed amount of timed action watch WWE. (that's mostly about dumb people on twitter but it is twitter)

ShaneB

charsace said:
You do understand that there is a reason why the HW's were used to kick the show off? Most people want to see the bigger guys go at it. 200+ lbs divisions are viewed as the big leagues by most people.

People love knockouts. There are just as many great knockout finishes in every weight class. A 135lb-er can knockout a fellow 135er and have it look devastating.

The great heavyweight fights are few and far between. Either it's a quick KO like we saw tonight, or it's a slog fest with both guys gassing out anyway because they're mostly built for strength and power, not endurance.

Is it shocking that the fight of the night was Guida and Henderson? Hell no. Is it shocking that the ME lasted a minute? Hell no.

Kogepan said:

Well if Cain ever gets hit in the Chin than we can see how he holds up.

Salih said:
i dunno what Dana is so pissed about. he said himself "30 sec or 30min - this is going to be a war". suck it down. anything can happen in this sport. it is unpredictable and the reason why we watch it. duh.

I will counter with: I'm not sure why he didn't have a backup match of two up and comers ready to go live or be played out dark afterwards.

charsace

The place that Cain got hit on can really fuck your shit up. Machida got clipped by shogun in a similar way and his kneecaps liquified instantly.

ShaneB said:
People love knockouts. There are just as many great knockout finishes in every weight class. A 135lb-er can knockout a fellow 135er and have it look devastating.

The great heavyweight fights are few and far between. Either it's a quick KO like we saw tonight, or it's a slog fest with both guys gassing out anyway because they're mostly built for strength and power, not endurance.

Is it shocking that the fight of the night was Guida and Henderson? Hell no. Is it shocking that the ME lasted a minute? Hell no.
So is it a coincidence that boxing is usually really popular when there is a heavyweight or heavyweights that people want to watch? The biggest stage in combat sports almost always has the bigger guys main eventing.

Panzon

CommonSense said:
Here's his text

Jesus fuck d w is fucking murdering the ref All I can hear is he wanted blood and that he doesn't deserve this shit
Damn what an asshole if true. Anyway I thought it would at least go to the 3rd round but hats off to Jds. Cain had a stupid game plan. Bendo vs guida fight made my night

CommonSense said:
my friend is on the a/v team for this event and just texted a bunch of us that "Dana has been vocally murdering the ref for ending the fight to soon"

Classy, what a asshole Dana White is.
Hope thats not true cause Cain was clearly out. He was holding on to JDS legs trying to recover but just completely went limp.

Salih said:
Plus they let the promos/discussion run til 9:35 .. its like they only expected two rounds at best.

Heel

I actually think Cain surviving those Kongo shots is a credit to his chin. Shots like that are what separated Pat Barry's soul from his body.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
industrian said:
After the Fedor vs. Hendo fight, Dana should shut the fuck up.
THANK YOU! lol

Not trying to rehash old shit but Dana really shouldn't be crying about early stoppages.

ShaneB

charsace said:
So is it a coincidence that boxing is usually really popular when there is a heavyweight or heavyweights that people want to watch? The biggest stage in combat sports almost always has the bigger guys main eventing.

Manny Pacquiao.

Salih

OpinionatedCyborg said:
since when did Dana let John McCarthy come back from the gulags? lol.

heh - this could have been the last time we saw John McCarthy reffing a title fight in the UFC if Dana really thinks that it was an early stoppage.

edit: Dana has no control? hahaha

what's the deal then? he used to ref nearly every fight up to ~UFC 100. I thought there was some conflict of interest since he has a BJJ gym. plus, at one time he was a bigger star than the fighters. what happened?

e: yeah, I forgot the refs/judges were totally separate. I just know he and Dana White are not on good terms. Doesn't surprise me if White laid into him after the fight.

Heel

alr1ghtstart said:
@bjornrebney :)
10fukh3.jpg

Let the games begin.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i made that shit up, but he should do it.

Dana has nothing to complain about with the stoppage. It was not suspect at all.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
KarynBryant Karyn Bryant
Just talked w Big Nog. He told me JDS tore his meniscus +was on crutches 11 days ago. He told Dana in the octagon after the fight #ufconfox

Cerrius said:
KarynBryant Karyn Bryant
Just talked w Big Nog. He told me JDS tore his meniscus +was on crutches 11 days ago. He told Dana in the octagon after the fight #ufconfox

and people say PED's don't help out fighters.

Heel

alr1ghtstart said:
i made that shit up, but he should do it.

Dana has nothing to complain about with the stoppage. It was not suspect at all.

Damn that would've been shots fired. Dana has been very neutral about Bellator so I doubt Bjorn will try to rustle up problems. I guess it can't get much worse though, Bellator is getting counter-programmed by default at the moment.

Cerrius said:
KarynBryant Karyn Bryant

Poor Dana, pissed at the ref, pissed at the outcome, and now pissed his champ will be out for 6 months.

Karma is a bitch I guess...smh

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
CommonSense said:
Poor Dana, pissed at the ref, pissed at the outcome, and now pissed his champ will be out for 6 months.

Karma is a bitch I guess...smh

That must have been one epic painkiller injection for JDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom