• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

NervousXtian said:
Lame.. Fox can't like this at all.. it wasn't even a good highlight reel KO. Even shit boxers don't get by overhand roundhouse right hands likethat. Joke.
Easier to land punches when you don't have boxing gloves on.

parasight

So happy for Cigano. Made quick work of the favored #1 heavyweight in the world. Didn't leave any doubt who the best in the world is.

I don't see anyone challenging JDS in the near future. Brock will cower and cry in submission and Overeeem has a lesser striking style for MMA than JDS. Junior's timing is just amazing.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Diprosalic said:
if JDS wins against brock/overeem he has a win against literally everybody in the devision and can retire.

I'm against saying stuff like "He'll dominate the weight class until Jon Jones steps up" like yaco did, but I don't see anyone threatening him at all.

Godslay

Banned
yankeeforever2 said:
My point is the a quick KO like that is what UFC didn't want, this might sour fox on the idea of carrying UFC.

Explain to me what they were aiming for? The only thing that could have been better was an epic slugfest. Those are few and far between, and you don't always get one on a complete card. A knockout or submission is the next best thing, over a lay and pray or dance around feel each other out type of match.

ShaneB

If Fox is pissed at this result they should've had the foresight to show the Guida/Henderson fight and realize the inconsistancy of heavyweight fights.

Heavyweight fights are either a quick ko, or a 3/5 round slog fest with both guys usually gassing out anyway.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that was great. So stoked that JDS won. In hindsight I would've liked it to go a little longer, a few more exchanges etc but I'm just glad he won.

TheNatural

My Member!
AstroLad said:
not really but most hw mma sucks just like most hw boxing sucks

Seriously, don't compared HW boxing to MMA. MMA is 100 times better. Heavyweight boxing has literally been ran out of the United States its so horrible. The last big fight was David "Payday" Haye running around like a pussy for 12 rounds waiting for his check to cash.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
Overeem was just reached for comment.

NFaoW.jpg

Say hello to your future UFC champion.
sien916 is back.

10fukh3.jpg

d4533

ShaunBRS said:
Considering what a twenty-five minute HW fight could have been, a knock-out finish in the first round is hardly the worst outcome for anyone.

Bendo vs. Guida should have been on Fox as a co-main event, though.
Not that it helps you guys in the US, but the Bendo vs. Guida fight replay was shown on the Australian broadcast. We seemed to have missed out on all the interviews and prefight garbage and got fights instead. They're now showing another fight replay to close out the hour broadcast.

EYEL1NER

Maklershed said:
For the people saying this was terrible for Fox - this was just a teaser to give people a taste of what to expect. Obviously a one fight card is very unusual and won't be the norm going forward. The promo/discussion to fight ratio was way lopsided but in the future they're gonna do full cards. Plus I think a quick ko is more exciting to people than 5 5 minute rounds of lnp or grinding on a cage.
If they can take a UFC PPV and put in on Fox, then I'm down. I want to see a UFC event that happens to be airing on FOX, not Fox Presents: The UFC. I want UFC themes playing, no football-style commentator booth sessions, no extra bullshit. I want fights. And the only people who I want to hear talking are Goldberg and Rogan.

And holy shit, but are they playing Pon de Floor in the background? Major Lazer?!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow Dana is fucking choked.

Kinda surprising given that they spent an entire season of TUF building JDS up.

Godslay said:
Explain to me what they were aiming for? The only thing that could have been better was an epic slugfest. Those are few and far between, and you don't always get one on a complete card. A knockout or submission is the next best thing, over a lay and pray or dance around feel each other out type of match.
Because the idea of selling commercial space for these UFC fights will be hard especially if there is a chance of a 1 minute fight.

You probably had people tune in once the fight started, watched the whole minute and went to watch something else.

They would have to do a nice 2 hour card full of matches to make this work.

charsace

hoos30 said:
Boxing is a better sport for TV....if only they could get their shit together.

My wife said, "That's it?"
Have you watched Heavyweight Boxing? Guys are so big now that there is hardly any ring movement and so fights are basically guys keeping up their guard and trading punches or one guy just jabbing while anchored in the center of the ring.

Heavyweight boxing is boring to watch.

Kogepan

yankeeforever2 said:
My point is the a quick KO like that is what UFC didn't want, this might sour fox on the idea of carrying UFC.

FOX wanted 25 minutes of fitch?

Cain can't take a punch, that much is obvious. Kongo put him on has ass three times as well in their fight, he just wasn't quick enough to finish like JDS.

Quite surprised that this so call 'monster' would buckle from a glancing blow, and is so out of he that he cant even defend himself on the ground. But then again, Cain really has very little experience, especially with strikers so its not unexpected.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They scheduled one fight and it blew up in their faces. We don't need 30 mins of human interest stories.

dream

charsace said:
Have you watched Heavyweight Boxing? Guys are so big now that there is hardly any ring movement and so fights are basically guys keeping up their guard and trading punches or one guy just jabbing while anchored in the center of the ring.

Heavyweight boxing is boring to watch.

Boxing boxing is boring to watch because the only two guys anyone gives a shit about won't fight each other. So we have to do things like pretend Victor Ortiz actually poses a thread to PBF. Or we have to wind the clock back 4 years to pretend Marquez will even touch Pacman.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Of course he's going to be mad, Cain got crushed so no rematch, and he's worried about the latino market.

Kogepan said:
FOX wanted 25 minutes of fitch?

Cain can't take a punch, that much is obvious. Kongo put him on has ass three times as well in their fight, he just wasn't quick enough to finish like JDS.

Quite surprised that this so call 'monster' would buckle from a glancing blow, and is so out of he that he cant even defend himself on the ground. But then again, Cain really has very little experience, especially with strikers so its not unexpected.
Glancing blow? He hit him right on the temple/ear. That is pretty much the worst place to get hit if you want to stay conscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom