• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiba

WaltJay said:
I just got a Safe Auto commercial with Clay Guida. @_@
I kept getting a Randy Couture commercial for a local sporting good store here in Appleton, WI lol. Gotta make bank somehow I guess.

Cloudy

Banned
Cain can't take a punch, that much is obvious.

He got hit behind his ear. No one can take a punch like that. I watch more boxing than MMA but I was surprised to see a guy leave himself so exposed. Especially a top fighter...

Dana did it wrong. He should have done Machado v Silva so we could have spent 15 solid minutes watching them avoid each other.

Heavyweights was a risky proposition that he lost.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
So three Brazilian champions, three American champions and one Canadian.

Better book a couple more Brazilian events Dana.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Cain's stand up has always been overrated.

He tried to pull a Shogun-Machida 1 by leg kicking JDS but got KTFO.

Boogie

Cloudy said:
He got hit behind his ear. No one can take a punch like that. I watch more boxing than MMA but I was surprised to see a guy leave himself so exposed...

Pretty much.

Fedor took that punch by Fujita back in the day. Fedor did the fish-dance, Fujita held back, and Fedor clinched long enough to recover and put Fujita away.

GSP took that punch, did the fish-dance, and Serra kept the pressure on and finished him.

Same thing happened here tonight for Cain.

Temple shots fuck you up, and it is a rare thing to be able to recover from such a shot.

Godslay

Banned
yankeeforever2 said:
Because the idea of selling commercial space for these UFC fights will be hard especially if there is a chance of a 1 minute fight.

You probably had people tune in once the fight started, watched the whole minute and went to watch something else.

They would have to do a nice 2 hour card full of matches to make this work.

I get where you are coming from. It makes sense, but it is not the worst outcome. There is a reason why knockouts, subs, and slugfests sell and keep people coming back. Outside of this not a lot of people can appreciate the nuances of a ground game or the back and forth, so it would be less palatable imo.

Either way it would be nice to have a build up to the main event on the channel that has the main event. 2 hours worth of fights would be great.

AiTM

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
Brock vs Dos Santos should be interesting.
overeem-zoom-in-o.gif

my friend is on the a/v team for this event and just texted a bunch of us that "Dana has been vocally murdering the ref for ending the fight to soon"

Classy, what a asshole Dana White is.

ShogunX

Boogie said:
Pretty much.

Fedor took that punch by Fujita back in the day. Fedor did the fish-dance, Fujita held back, and Fedor clinched long enough to recover and put Fujita away.

GSP took that punch, did the fish-dance, and Serra kept the pressure on and finished him.

Same thing happened here tonight for Cain.

Temple shots fuck you up, and it is a rare thing to be able to recover from such a shot.

Yep not many fighters in the world can take that sort of punch and continue. Pretty much fucks up your equilibrium and you lose all sense of balance.

I got kneed in the temple once and I couldn't stand up straight for hours.

Kogepan

Ninja Scooter said:
Glancing blow? He hit him right on the temple/ear. That is pretty much the worst place to get hit if you want to stay conscious.

no, thats the temple/chin.

i understand it will affect his equilibrium and knock him down...but he didn't seem to have any survival instincts or at least try any defense maneouvres and just lay there taking punches.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
First Roger Huerta and now Cain... Dana continues to be letdown by his primetime-Hispanic fighters.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Did none of you see Kongo drop him three times? JDS was the first striker he fought since then.

WaltJay

CommonSense said:
my friend is on the a/v team for this event and just texted a bunch of us that "Dana has been vocally murdering the ref for ending the fight to soon"

Cain was literally face-planted on the ground; what does he expect the ref to do? Help him up?

Boogie

Kogepan said:

i understand it will affect his equilibrium and knock him down...but he didn't seem to have any survival instincts or at least try any defense maneouvres and just lay there taking punches.

Welcome, noob.

Watch some fights before sounding off ignorantly.

k thx bye.

CommonSense said:

If true, that's nuts.

That stoppage is 100% justified. Cain was face down, not responding, and eating punches.

Kogepan

CommonSense said:

good stoppage, cain just turned his back and couldnt even move his arms to block any punches. Or maybe Dana just wanted JDS to deliver the deathblow for the Fox audience.

Cloudy

Banned
CommonSense said:

Is there a count in UFC? The guy was getting his face pounded into the mat with no resistance. Should the ref just allow that? lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Kogepan said:

have you ever watch mma before? that happens all the time.

Heel

Ninja Scooter said:
Does this mean you're sleeping?
bone_and_sinew said:
So you only look good because you're posting with cans but once you post with a great user you'll fold like a tent?
10fukh3.jpg

I'd like to take this time to thank Junior for facilitating the future championship reign of Alistair Overeem. Your efforts will not be forgotten on this night.

thefro

Cloudy said:
Is there a count in UFC? The guy was getting his face pounded into the mat with no resistance. Should the ref just allow that? lol

It's the ref's call as to whether the fighter can defend himself or not that determines the stoppage.

John McCarthy is the best in the business.

charsace

ShaneB said:
You do understand that there is a reason why the HW's were used to kick the show off? Most people want to see the bigger guys go at it. 200+ lbs divisions are viewed as the big leagues by most people.

CommonSense said:

he probably is just mad and tries to find excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom