• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs Johnson - 10.1.11 - 6pm PT / 9pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

yacobod said:
theres not enough talent at 135, and you guys want the ufc to have fights at 125. smh

Yeah, seriously. Why not just watch that British pre-teen fighting championship shit.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ibq6wDqe6ofIqU.jpg

@alrightstart - I was gonna reply with the Doomsday hematoma but that was a bad idea. For some reason injured penises are part of the Google Images search result.

EraldoCoil said:
y u no bet!?!?!
I do with my friend but we do the methods and round too and I'm usually not too good with that aspect.

Heel

yacobod said:
theres not enough talent at 135, and you guys want the ufc to have fights at 125. smh

Define talent. Guys who can beat Cruz? He's a dominant champion. Most of the divisions are in the same situation. Trust me, there's plenty of guys who can put on exciting fights at 135, inside and outside of the UFC.

desa said:
Lay and pray? Maybe for a small part of the fight. The hell are you guys watching.

Small part of the fight? Cruz did little to no damage with his standup, and had ONE significant sub attempt in 5 rounds. WTF else would you call it? He won with textbook lay and pray.

yacobod

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Small part of the fight? Cruz did little to no damage with his standup, and had ONE significant sub attempt in 5 rounds. WTF else would you call it? He won with textbook lay and pray.

and johnson had no significant offensive output in the fight. u mad that a lay n prayer got lay n prayed?

sien said:
Define talent.

quality guys in the top 10. as i say that, i mean talent in the ufc, as that's the only major avenue for fighters in this day and age. so i don't really care about some obscure fighters in japan or w/e.

anyone else watching barker/martinez?

yacobod said:
and johnson had no significant offensive output in the fight. u mad that a lay n prayer got lay n prayed?

Believe me i'm not defending Johnson, nor was I rooting for him or even worse advocating that he was robbed or something. If anything I am disappointed that Cruz went away from his usual style because I don't think he really had to. He could have easily stood with Johnson and won IMO. But to deny that Cruz LnP'd is just silly. He did nothing to advance his offensive position every time he had Johnson up against the fence and on the ground.

dream

And, please, let's not use Japanese fighters as examples of 135 lb talent because we know that doesn't translate to real MMA.

desa

Ninja Scooter said:
Believe me i'm not defending Johnson, nor was I rooting for him or even worse advocating that he was robbed or something. If anything I am disappointed that Cruz went away from his usual style because I don't think he really had to. He could have easily stood with Johnson and won IMO. But to deny that Cruz LnP'd is just silly. He did nothing to advance his offensive position every time he had Johnson up against the fence and on the ground.

advance? let's see, he got his back a couple of times, had mount three times. Got his ass in a rear naked choke. Give credit to Mouse's defensive grappling. He got out of that choke and escaped some terrible positions. Although not as much as the Torres fight which I thought he should have lost. Maybe small part isn't right, I'll have to watch it again. It sure as hell wasn't a huge portion of the fight.

desa said:
advance? let's see, he got his back a couple of times, had mount three times. Got his ass in a rear naked choke. Give credit to Mouse's defensive grappling. He got out of that choke and escaped some terrible positions. Although not as much as the Torres fight which I thought he should have lost. Maybe small part isn't right, I'll have to watch it again. It sure as hell wasn't a huge portion of the fight.

He had his back twice consecutively and attempted the chokes. That was a small part of a 5 round fight. He wasn't even really attempting ground and pound.

TheNatural

My Member!
I would say Cruz "Fitched" him. That's what I would call it. A fighter doing enough to grind out a better position, and maybe some really good situations to finish, and doesn't. Then grinds the guy down to the ground again, rinse and repeat.

Lay N Pray to me is a little different, its more like, I dunno - the most extremely example is maybe a Bobby Lashley fight. A dude who's a great wrestler who has absolutely no idea what to do on top and just lays there.

Cruz attempted to improve position and do some stuff, but for the most part wasn't effective, and kept going back to the takedowns and grinds over and over. ALA Jon Fitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom