• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Fight Night:Silva Vs Bisping - Fight pass 1pm PT/4pm ET/9pm GMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Croft

I actually find it hilarious when people discredit what Silva has done in his career. The most dominating fighter over the past 10 years.

Jones may be able to replicate that. I would say Conor but I can see him in there for another 2 years max. Silva was incredible. Time to give it up now though.

This 5+ years as champ with 10 title defenses. Pretty good career watching him now reminds me of watching cro cop. Watching such good talent go away with age

Heel

Yeah, in hindsight, prob a good decision. Silvacreally should have played less against the cage and pushed his advantage after hurting the count. Funny enough, he's gotten this same criticism most of his career. Oh well, he's still got enough to be entertaining and this was a hell of a fight. All I can ask for.

Same fighter with compromised speed and reaction times. Truly the Roy Jones Jr. of MMA.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Same fighter with compromised speed and reaction times. Truly the Roy Jones Jr. of MMA.

Yeah, was thinking the same. The hands down, up against the cage part of his game used to open his opponents up for his striking, but now he's just not fast enough. Instead he takes a lot of hits that he shouldn't. When he's aggressive he still looks pretty scary though. Shame that's only on his mind 10% of the time (maybe). I do wonder if part of the reason he's always done well being aggressive is catching people off guard with the sudden change in pace. If he consistently pressed forward I don't think he'd be as successful. So yeah, a major component of his fight game is significantly compromised.

I'll watch any fight he's in for the flashes of brilliance though. And cry in a corner with a beer in my hand when he falls short.

jeffram

I actually like this scoring system more, take a photo at the end of the fight, show it to a random mom on the street and ask "who won?".
I think there is some merit to understanding what happened in the fight overall when you are determining who won a fight. I'm not a silva fan. I'm someone who has hated the 10-9 system for MMA scoring. I think this is a prime example of how it doesn't work. When judges are forced to declare a winner of every round even if nothing significant happens, it can lead to these situation where a few rounds where nothing happen overshadow the rounds where someone takes significant damage, almost gets subbed or knocked out. Reward fighters for doing the things fans want to see. No one tunes in to watch someone "control". Don't get me started on "winning" a round by sitting on an opponent.

SRTtoZ

I think there is some merit to understanding what happened in the fight overall when you are determining who won a fight. I'm not a silva fan. I'm someone who has hated the 10-9 system for MMA scoring. I think this is a prime example of how it doesn't work. When judges are forced to declare a winner of every round even if nothing significant happens, it can lead to these situation where a few rounds where nothing happen overshadow the rounds where someone takes significant damage, almost gets subbed or knocked out. Reward fighters for doing the things fans want to see. No one tunes in to watch someone "control". Don't get me started on "winning" a round by sitting on an opponent.

Yep and not just this. Do we even know how they score certain strikes? Do jabs count as much as a takedown? Do takedowns count as much as a knockdown or flash KO? Does Silva's knee at the end of round 3 just count as another strike? Because that was by far the biggest strike by either Silva or Bisping. I never liked the scoring system but I still respect it, and I respect Bisping winning but its not even close to perfect. If anything Silva screwed himself by playing it far too safe waiting for the perfect counterstrike. Someone needs to tell him he lost a step and can't depend on those reactions anymore. Oh and I'm not a Silva fan, I was so happy when he got Weidman'd.

SRTtoZ

Why would anyone want Silva to retire though? Dudes entertaining regardless

I think people want him to go out on top before he turns into Chuck Lidell getting KO'd nonstop. He clearly lost his chin because he got dropped a few times by ol' Pillowfists himself. A counter-striker who is getting old and has clearly lost a step is usually a bad recipe for success when you slow down and lose your chin.

Bisping definitely through some power that I rarely see from him, decent reason he was pretty gassed in the later rounds since he's normally a cardio machine.

Guru-Guru

Banned
alot of mma fans usually subscribe to the idea if you can't be the champion or get close -- why fight at all
Yeah, Silva still makes a lot of money, and clearly still enjoys fighting (hence him saying he wants to keep fighting forever). I think the best plan for the UFC would to have him fight other old guys like a rematch with Belfort, Henderson, etc. They can headline those on more Fight Night events, likely in Brazil.

alot of mma fans usually subscribe to the idea if you can't be the champion or get close -- why fight at all

Because all you're doing is destroying yourself. This isn't exclusive to MMA. It isn't new to combat sports in general. Once your skills start to decline, you're going to get hit a lot more. Rattling your brain around in your skull is not a good thing. So if you're not capable of avoiding damage more often than not... then it's best to stop fighting.

Platy

....Silva lost ?

I saw some moments while passing on the living room and every single moment looked like he would have won !

I was pretty sure I passed on the living room when he was thanking for the victory o_O

I understand zero of ufc and only catch glimpses of the fight but ... weird

....Silva lost ?

I saw some moments while passing on the living room and every single moment looked like he would have won !

I was pretty sure I passed on the living room when he was thanking for the victory o_O

I understand zero of ufc and only catch glimpses of the fight but ... weird

He lost on points. Silva's strikes were far more significant but he didn't push to finish and it ended up costing him the match. His fading speed and agility are making his style dangerous as he is no longer to slip punches as consistently as he used to, resulting in more shots landing.

BadAss2961

Missed it. I guess Anderson is shot if he can't even beat Bisping. He would've clowned that dude so hard a few years ago. Free.

Weidman stock further plummets. Right place, right time.

Nail

Who the hell gives Anderson round 4. Fine give him round 3 because of the bs. But ROUND 4. Christ. This thread is tilting me.

ApharmdX

Banned
I actually find it hilarious when people discredit what Silva has done in his career. The most dominating fighter over the past 10 years.

Jones may be able to replicate that. I would say Conor but I can see him in there for another 2 years max. Silva was incredible. Time to give it up now though.

1) Silva faced poor opposition through much of his reign. He also put on sub-par performances against poor opposition even in his prime.
2) He's an outed cheat.

Haunted

That fight was fucking awesome.

Bisping with a hard fought, well deserved victory. Had the right fight plan going into the first two rounds, not falling for feints, taunts or distractions, always moving a lot and putting in solid shots when he could catch Silva on the back foot. Great performance toughing it out and hanging in there in later rounds, he showed heart and never stopped moving forward. To come back and win the fourth round the way he did after that ending to the third, damn. Mad respect.

Silva looked good for a man over 40, but I think it's pretty clear that he won't be anywhere near the title again. Losing against Weidman twice, now against Bisping after the long career he had, his speed and his hunger are just not on the same level as they were back during his reign as a champion.

Haunted

f1g1ZWGl.png
rofl @ that one 46-49 Silva. There's always one.

Consensus is clear, official scorecard was completely unanonymous as well, for every round.

michael-bisping-anderson-silva-ufc-fight-night-84-scorecard.jpg

I had it scored 3-2 Bisping immediately after the fight as well, he clearly won this.

I don't even want to really blame Anderson for the "corruption" statement, emotions are high after losing a fight and he probably already realised at that point what this loss meant for his career, so there also must've been some bitterness involved. I don't expect the UFC to book him anywhere outside Brazil for his last few remaining fights, he'll still fill stadiums over there even if he probably won't fight the highest ranked guys anymore.

All that said, there's no need to denigrate the man's legacy as one of the most dominant in the sport during his reign. An excellent counter puncher with strong Muay Thai and high precision during a time when even other top fighters couldn't deal with that level of striking.

I decided to watch the fight now.

... and I have no idea what's going on, how did Bisping win? What? Silva destroyed him. That face kick alone... 😔

'-'

zewone

I decided to watch the fight now.

... and I have no idea what's going on, how did Bisping win? What? Silva destroyed him. That face kick alone... 😔

'-'

Bisping clearly won rounds 1 and 2, it would be impossible to see it any other way.

SIlva's most dominant round was the third.

The fourth round was clearly Bisping's.

Fifth you would give the edge to Silva.

This is how a 10 point must system works.

Bisping clearly won rounds 1 and 2, it would be impossible to see it any other way.

SIlva's most dominant round was the third.

The fourth round was clearly Bisping's.

Fifth you would give the edge to Silva.

This is how a 10 point must system works.

Exactly, Bisping clearly won rounds one and two, Anderson hurt him badly in the third but not enough for a 10 - 8 since it happened right at the end, Bisping won the fourth and Anderson took the fifth.

It's a pretty clear 3 - 2 for Bisping.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Exactly, Bisping clearly won rounds one and two, Anderson hurt him badly in the third but not enough for a 10 - 8 since it happened right at the end, Bisping won the fourth and Anderson took the fifth.

It's a pretty clear 3 - 2 for Bisping.

I think where most people are getting caught up is the fact that Silva clearly didn't care about being hit by Bisping in the fourth round. You could have given him a knife and Silva would have probably still been safe, Bisping was on the ground between rounds almost as long as the fourth lasted and he wasn't really a threat. Despite that, Silva managed to get outstruck and was less active than a concussed man with a broken nose and that's the part that's being missed. He won by points in Round 4 because Anderson wanted to clown around.

I think where most people are getting caught up is the fact that Silva clearly didn't care about being hit by Bisping in the fourth round. You could have given him a knife and Silva would have probably still been safe, Bisping was on the ground between rounds almost as long as the fourth lasted and he wasn't really a threat. Despite that, Silva managed to get outstruck and was less active than a concussed man with a broken nose and that's the part that's being missed. He won by points in Round 4 because Anderson wanted to clown around.

As usual. Douche.

I thought Silva was being a fool in the 4th and 5th rounds... but maybe he actually did care about getting hit. After all, he had been knocked down once, he thought he cracked his leg in the first round, and his normally unscathed face had a mouse under his right eye and a cut beside his left eye. Perhaps he really didn't feel very safe.

Even so, it was inexcusable to piss the fight away. Bisping had been beating him soundly for 14:55, and then Bisping gave Anderson the chance to end the fight... Anderson nearly does, but inexplicably lets Zombie Bisping beat him in the 4th? Embarassing.

I give Bisping credit. He was better than Anderson when they were at full strength, and he had the heart to keep going after his collosal fuckup and outpoint Anderson in at least one round.
GettyImages-512721632.0.jpg

not as good as this pic, of course:
dmgsb2n.jpg

darscot

It surprises me how many UFC "Fans" have no understanding of how the scoring system works. There was no question Bisping won the fight. Had in been a championship fight and Silva was the champ the weird tradition of giving the champ the win probably occurs.

The way I see it, was Bisping fucked up and let Anderson into the fight, and Anderson fucked up and let Bisping stay in the fight when he had a couple of chances to put him out of it.

So Bisping wins.

People saying 'Anderson lost it more than Bisping won' are forgetting that Anderson only got in the fight when Bisping made a giant error of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom