• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII Development

StuBurns

Banned
One day you will play TWEWY and you'll make that post without irony...

Yeah, I know he didn't direct it, but seriously, you should play it

Gibbles17

charlequin said:
Again, this is exactly the ridiculous "Nintendo will rename the 3DS!!!" argument: pretend that none of the immense drawbacks of renaming a product exist, that people have no memories, and that a new name will cause everyone to give a product a brand-new fresh look as if the last X years of history never happened.
I'd be very interested in what these immense drawbacks of yours look like as, logically, one would think such monumental ramifications would prevent S-E from say renaming a game 6 months prior to its release. Granted its lower-profile and there's been no word on whether it'll even get an international release, I'd still go as far as to say that Agito/Type-0 has its own significant share of rabid fan hype.

Also, fuck XV, call it KH3, make Noctis turn out to be Sora, have his silly sword turn into a keyblade at some point and call it a day. Two birds stoned at once.

charlequin said:
  • It's not the same kind of game as mainline FFs and many facets of the game are going to be a poor fit for marketing as such a game
  • Literally 100% of Final Fantasy fans who own a PS3 in any territory on Earth already know that this game exists, recognize the "Versus" name, and have a general idea of whether they want to buy it or not
What are these common facets between X, XI, XII, XIII and XIV that makes them all fit for mainline entries but not Versus?
And I think you need to speak to more people outside GAF if you really believe the second point. There's been 6 trailers(?) since 2006 including the FNC trailer from TGS last year, half of which was Agito footage, none of them were Western and it's never been shown at a western event and had hardly any magazine coverage. The average Final Fantasy fan is oblivious to this game's existence.

Aaron

If they can call two MMOs mainline Final Fantasy games, they can do it with a semi-action game. You know it's going to have all the FF trappings, like some convoluted leveling system, the annoying sidekicks, and way more belts than anyone could possibly need. At this point it looks more FF than FF9.

electroshockwave said:
What are these common facets between X, XI, XII, XIII and XIV that makes them all fit for mainline entries but not Versus?

Versus is in its conception, a tragedy. I forsee a lot of death in this game, and not just the 'Lol they are dead but not really' death that we've had on certain occasions before. Its also an action JRPG that has blood shed when you strike an enemy.

Versus looks like a very different Final Fantasy to me. It looks like it could get very bleak, quite gory and depressing in places.

We have of course seen a couple of these 'differences' in Final Fantasy games before, but I think it will be the atmosphere and mood of the game that makes them more powerful, more dark, and ultimately too much of a risk for SquareEnix to slap a full number on the game.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't find it, because that FF-XIII.net website is messed up, but there is an interview with Nomura talking about the name and why SE didn't want to call it XV. It's the reasons that make it different certainly, bleak, 'real' world, action combat etc.

Aaron said:
If they can call two MMOs mainline Final Fantasy games, they can do it with a semi-action game.

Not to mention we already had FFXII which was a big change for the series. The difference between that battle system and KH isn't huge.

All the "dark, bleak" stuff about Versus can be said about FFVII too. But that was a long time ago before FF became all j-pop, bubblegummy.

duckroll

H_Prestige said:
Not to mention we already had FFXII which was a big change for the series. The difference between that battle system and KH isn't huge.

Wut. I'm sorry my brain just exploded.

jett

D-Member
PairOfFilthySocks said:
I don't trust Nomura with bromance. This game needs lady party members stat.

Well some of the male characters already look like women so it's half-way there.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
I don't trust Nomura with bromance. This game needs lady party members stat.

I don't think it does. I quite like the 'Prince and his mates' aspect of Versus. What I hope for is for Noctis and one of the other chaps relationships to be like King Henry and Suffolks relationship in the TV series 'The Tudors'. Ultimately they respect each other and they need each other (not admitting it until its too late or until they are in peril) but they disagree about certain things and it puts a wedge between them. Maybe Stella comes between them at some point. Who knows?

Noctis is interesting because he's quite sheepish and nervous. Usually heirs to thrones or Princes in general have an arrogance and brashness about them. We might see one of his friends have a dominant personality instead to cause inter party conflict.

LoL. As if Versus is actually going to be dark and not bubblegummy, whatever that means. Its really hard to keep up with what FF is supposed to be these days.

And Im not sure how FFXII is at all like KH2? That makes no sense.

Diablos

duckroll said:
The guy responsible for this and the guy responsible for this.
Didn't Nomura say you can explore everything you see? I get the impression there will be a lot of open environments... and given that the game essentially looks like a FF/KH hybrid in terms of battles (and even exploration, but perhaps on a larger scale), I doubt they would go with an uber-linear approach to exploration a la FFXIII.

In other words, the fundamentals of the way this game is designed should prevent VsXIII from falling victim to the "straight line" approach.

TruePrime said:
I know Nomura draws some model esk characters, but which ones in VS look like females?
the prince. his face is very smooth and lady like. let him grow out his long silky hair and we have a contender for sexy female.

Beth Cyra

DMPrince said:
the prince. his face is very smooth and lady like. let him grow out his long silky hair and we have a contender for sexy female.
Wait Noctis?

If so that's bull. Noctis is certainly pretty and could in a modeling Mag but by no means does he look like a woman.

Galvanise_ said:
I don't think it does. I quite like the 'Prince and his mates' aspect of Versus. What I hope for is for Noctis and one of the other chaps relationships to be like King Henry and Suffolks relationship in the TV series 'The Tudors'. Ultimately they respect each other and they need each other (not admitting it until its too late or until they are in peril) but they disagree about certain things and it puts a wedge between them. Maybe Stella comes between them at some point. Who knows?

Noctis is interesting because he's quite sheepish and nervous. Usually heirs to thrones or Princes in general have an arrogance and brashness about them. We might see one of his friends have a dominant personality instead to cause inter party conflict.

Actually seemed quite the opposite in that last trailer (that's if the lines spoken were really from him) tbh.

StuBurns

Banned
The story of this game is looking quite odd. From some cutscenes it's like he's becoming King and is burdened with his position, in others it's like a bunch of friends bagging on each other in town.

And it seems like the night he meets Stella is the same night shit kicks off, so unless most of the story is told thru flash backs, I have no idea what we'll actually be doing in this game.

Infinite Justice said:
Actually seemed quite the opposite in that last trailer (that's if the lines spoken were really from him) tbh.

Could be. I'm basing what I said on what Nomura has said in the past. I think he's said that he won't have the Cloud-like personality many people were expecting and that he's shy and nervous. He said he'll have a distinct personality and won't be a silent gloomy guy, but is definitely quite shy.

Who knows? He might come out of his shell around his companions so we might not see much of his shy side.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
The story of this game is looking quite odd. From some cutscenes it's like he's becoming King and is burdened with his position, in others it's like a bunch of friends bagging on each other in town.

And it seems like the night he meets Stella is the same night shit kicks off, so unless most of the story is told thru flash backs, I have no idea what we'll actually be doing in this game.

It's just Romeo and Juliet. Except with Crystals, and mafia, and robots.

Skilletor

H_Prestige said:

All the "dark, bleak" stuff about Versus can be said about FFVII too. But that was a long time ago before FF became all j-pop, bubblegummy.

Are you saying that FF12 and Kingdom Hearts play similarly?

Galvanise_ said:
I quite like the 'Prince and his mates' aspect of Versus. What I hope for is for Noctis and one of the other chaps relationships to be like King Henry and Suffolks relationship in the TV series 'The Tudors'. Ultimately they respect each other and they need each other (not admitting it until its too late or until they are in peril) but they disagree about certain things and it puts a wedge between them. Maybe Stella comes between them at some point. Who knows?
In the latest trailer, you sort of see this disparity between Noctis and the rest of his group. Ignis approaches Noctis on his throne to discuss the matter of enacting revenge on some unspecified third-party, but Noctis walks off, opting to act on his own volition without consulting the others.
tumblr_lkxm50VgEi1qbghoko1_r1_500.gif

It's a stark contrast to the earlier CG scenes in the past wherein Prompto and Gladiolus were playfully wrestling with him.
final-fantasy-versus-xiii-famitsu-jan-clipping-05.jpg
gladiolus.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
It's just Romeo and Juliet. Except with Crystals, and mafia, and robots.
Robots is what Romeo and Juliet always needed.

Seriously I don't think it is, the qoute was from Hamlet, I think it's just superficial use of the Bard, probably just an indication of the tonal shift away from the traditional Final Fantasy stories.

They're starcrossed, I just don't think they're lovers.

EDIT: Even though they're crazy old, you might want to remove those scans.

Skilletor said:
Are you saying that FF12 and Kingdom Hearts play similarly?
I'm saying that taking FFXII and removing the charging time and adding the ability to jump, block, and roll isn't some bigass paradigm shift. It's the just next logical step.

And even if you don't agree, SE was ok giving an MMO a number, twice. Can't say there is some common theme to the main FF series when you take that into account.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
Robots is what Romeo and Juliet always needed.

Seriously I don't think it is, the qoute was from Hamlet, I think it's just superficial use of the Bard, probably just an indication of the tonal shift away from the traditional Final Fantasy stories.

They're starcrossed, I just don't think they're lovers.

EDIT: Even though they're crazy old, you might want to remove those scans.

The quote is from Hamlet, but the love story is definitely inspired by Romeo and Juliet.

Skilletor

H_Prestige said:
I'm saying that taking FFXII and removing the charging time and adding the ability to jump, block, and roll isn't some bigass paradigm shift. It's the just next logical step.

And even if you don't agree, SE was ok giving an MMO a number, twice. Can't say there is some common theme to the main FF series when you take that into account.

I disagree completely, but I don't care about mainline stuff. They're just games to me.

I've never seen that scene w/ Noctis. What trailer is it in?

Galvanise_ said:
Could be. I'm basing what I said on what Nomura has said in the past. I think he's said that he won't have the Cloud-like personality many people were expecting and that he's shy and nervous. He said he'll have a distinct personality and won't be a silent gloomy guy, but is definitely quite shy.

Who knows? He might come out of his shell around his companions so we might not see much of his shy side.

The news vid seems to hint at that very horribly.

Example

Noctis: I can do this, i can take them out in one shot
Friends: Whoa Cowboy, your not ready so sit the fuck down.

Famassu

StuBurns said:

I don't think the story is about him becoming the king. He's the protector of the last crystal in the world, that's what burdening him. The beginning seems to have their country signing a peace treaty with some former enemy (this is what Noctis is listening to in the radio), there being a party to celebrate that (where Stella goes, possibly being from said ex-enemy country), then there's sudden attack and all hell breaks loose. It seems like the crystal might get stolen and I'm quite sure the story is about Noctis trying to track it down. Nomura has described the story as a "road story" (not a road trip :p ), where all the events unfold as they journey through the world. I'd guess that all the scenes where Noctis seems to be in the crystal room, or at least in the building (& city) where the crystal room is, are from the beginning of the game. The less eventful looking scenes are from pre-attack (the ones where Noctis is sulking in the car/crystal room), the more dramatic scenes post-attack (where Noctis, the King and others are arguing what to do, Noctis confronting Stella in the streets). The scenes that are completely different to the atmosphere of the city scenes are from some other city, where Noctis's friends are just goofing around a little bit during their travels.

Also, the game DOES have flashbacks, at least a few. The January trailer showed one where Noctis is still a child (the one by the lake, it's shot from Noctis's POV).

duckroll said:
The quote is from Hamlet, but the love story is definitely inspired by Romeo and Juliet.
I'm pretty sure Nomura has said there would be no love-story in Versus, or at least that it wouldn't be a focus in it.

FFXII isn't an action game. You add those elements and you make it so. It's not the next logical step at all. XII is just the atb battle system on a seamless field. It has turns and wait gauges just like the rest. Adding player controlled jumping, block, and slashing is in fact changing that system.

All I can speack for is XI and judging on that games battle system it is more turn based then action. So making it a main FF is hardly crazy.

At the end of the day, these games are more about stats, equipment, and the players mangement than relflexes than something like KH is.

StuBurns

Banned
ATB has made any line very blurred. Versus still has traditional action combat animations, you have to wait between actions as you do with ATB, you just don't wait as long. It's still actions bottom left, party stats bottom right.

I think it's going to be a lot more traditional a FF experience than some people are expecting.

As for the story, I just watched the translated trailer, Noctis seems very certain of himself. I actually have some concerns about having such a bold personality be the protagonist, it's not something you often see in games. I wonder if they'll tone him down a tad in localization.

StuBurns said:
ATB has made any line very blurred. Versus still has traditional action combat animations, you have to wait between actions as you do with ATB, you just don't wait as long. It's still actions bottom left, party stats bottom right.

I think it's going to be a lot more traditional a FF experience than some people are expecting.

As for the story, I just watched the translated trailer, Noctis seems very certain of himself. I actually have some concerns about having such a bold personality be the protagonist, it's not something you often see in games. I wonder if they'll tone him down a tad in localization.

Uh...since when? Versus is an action RPG. It doesn't use ATB.

Also there's a lot of bold protagonists. Doesn't mean he can't still be beaten down though.

StuBurns

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Uh...since when? Versus is an action RPG. It doesn't use ATB.
All action games have animations that take a specific amount of time to finish before they can be activated again.

StuBurns said:
All action games have animations that take a specific amount of time to finish before they can be activated again.

Well...of course. You can't have the character taking any action 100% of the time once the combo breaks. That goes for any game. Don't see why you compared it to ATB.

If there are animation cancels, which there almost certainly will be, it's not ATB because that goes further than even the variable cooldown and charge times of the ATB Kai system because it's specifically skill-based input rather than tactical input.

StuBurns said:
I don't see how it is, exactly how long does it have to be before it stops being ATB?
First thing that comes to mind is that ATB has waiting time in addition to the animation. The waiting time isn't the animation.

BadWolf

Crisis Core sort of went the way of God Hand, in that you can cancel attack animations using the evade. That is why I enjoyed it so much, you weren't limited like in normal ARPGS. I hope/expect Verus to be the same.

StuBurns

Banned
DiipuSurotu said:
First thing that comes to mind is that ATB has waiting time in addition to the animation. The waiting time isn't the animation.
I think that's really blurred, that's pretty much a natural evolution of the design, to make something more fluid and organic. Although it does make me wonder if Versus will have speed stats, and if they'll actually affect the length of animations.

I think the series has fairly consistently tried to speed up the combat. FFX is kind of the odd one out in that regard.

StuBurns said:
I think that's really blurred, that's pretty much a natural evolution of the design, to make something more fluid and organic. Although it does make me wonder if Versus will have speed stats, and if they'll actually affect the length of animations.

I think the series has fairly consistently tried to speed up the combat. FFX is kind of the odd one out in that regard.
FFX was absolutely an attempt to speed up the combat; if anything, it was the first attempt to speed it up since the advent of ATB. You never have to sit and watch bars creep up in that game; I'd argue that, if anything, FF7, 8, and 9 started seriously slowing combat down with the length of the animations.

FF9 *sort of* represents an attempt to alter things (it's got a pretty significant change from the way that the ATB ordinarily worked in the previous games; the ATB keeps charging during long cinematic animations, whereas ordinarily it's supposed to temporarily freeze when this happens, but this ended up just creating a clusterfuck when tons and tons of commands get queued up during an especially long animation).

StuBurns

Banned
That's true in the sense that it allows you to complete fights quicker, but it doesn't require them to be done as quickly. The point of ATB is to force the user to act at a speed. FFXIII pushed that more than the rest of the series, to the point where it rendered actual character inputs inefficient and put the focus on the battle management.

Until FFX the series over all had attempted to require great time constraint combat decisions, and a larger world to explore. Artistically until 9 the series had been getting closer to depicting the real world.

FFXIII was the continuation of the FFX/X2 direction, to me Versus looks to almost pick up as if last generation didn't happen at all. It could be all misleading, and it might just be KH noir, but as it stands it seems every bit as much of a Final Fantasy as any mainline entry.

StuBurns said:
That's true in the sense that it allows you to complete fights quicker, but it doesn't require them to be done as quickly. The point of ATB is to force the user to act at a speed. FFXIII pushed that more than the rest of the series, to the point where it rendered actual character inputs inefficient and put the focus on the battle management.

Until FFX the series over all had attempted to require great time constraint combat decisions, and a larger world to explore. Artistically until 9 the series had been getting closer to depicting the real world.

FFXIII was the continuation of the FFX/X2 direction, to me Versus looks to almost pick up as if last generation didn't happen at all. It could be all misleading, and it might just be KH noir, but as it stands it seems every bit as much of a Final Fantasy as any other mainline entry.
If you want a good example of a hybrid ATB/ARPG approach, I think the best example to look at is actually Crisis Core (which is being pretty heavily imitated in Type-0, I believe). Parasite Eve is probably the best super-early example. I think Versus looks to *play* more like Kingdom Hearts than those games, but I don't have a problem with it or think that makes it somehow less of a Final Fantasy game; I just don't consider it a turn-based or ATB-based JRPG (Noctis' combat makes this less clear, but when you look at that one character who can use a gun and who plays pretty much like a TPS, along with hitting enemy weak points and hitting/missing based on skill and so on, I think it's pretty clearly an ARPG).

StuBurns

Banned
My point wasn't that Versus wasn't an action game, it was that the line between and ATB system and something like KH is pretty blurred. In fact I think if the only difference was they added ATB bars to Versus, and they lasted as long as the combat animations, people wouldn't even question it's qualification as ATB.

StuBurns said:
My point wasn't that Versus wasn't an action game, it was that the line between and ATB system and something like KH is pretty blurred. In fact I think if the only difference was they added ATB bars to Versus, and they lasted as long as the combat animations, people wouldn't even question it's qualification as ATB.

Yeah but that's dumb. ATB and recovery animations are two very different things. ATB is a cooldown that makes you wait before you can act again. Recovery animations are just that...animations. Yes you wait for them to happen and both ATB and animations might seem somewhat similar but they're not. Would you classify an animation like getting knocked down and getting back up because of an enemy attack as ATB as well?

Also with ATB, you're only allowed one action while in an action game without it you can keep comboing until the combo breaks. Nothing's really getting "blurred". You can't just not have animations.

Top Bottom