• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII Development

StuBurns

Banned
Billychu said:
I think that's going to happen on it's own...oh wait it's you. Why did everyone change their avatars today?
Who's everyone? BurntPork's new avatar is lame, don't you think?

This game is going to be the greatest thing this generation. Sounding it will be the game that caps off this generation. I aint complaining.

Emitan

StuBurns said:
Who's everyone? BurntPork's new avatar is lame, don't you think?
You, BP and Boney all changed your avatars today. But to be fair, Boney changes his every 3 days. And yes, BP's is pretty lame. And that's saying something when his old one was a gay vampire.

Boney said:
because of taste darling

You change your avatar once a week.

Well, I guess this is sort of an update? There's a whole world map and it's completed sort of maybe. I looked up a video of the luminous engine and it looks nice, but who knows about the lighting on this game. Who knows anything about this game?

Please just finish it and release it already.

StuBurns

Banned
Billychu said:
You, BP and Boney all changed your avatars today. But to be fair, Boney changes his every 3 days. And yes, BP's is pretty lame. And that's saying something when his old one was a gay vampire.
Well mine's not staying, maybe BP will learn from my mistakes.

B.K.

cosmicblizzard said:
Wait, so no more Crystal Tools?

Why do you think they're making XIII-2? They spent so much time and money on the engine that they need to use it as much as they can!

I believe.
I won't stop believing.
To the ends of the earth, I will wait for vsXIII.

BVJyV.jpg

Momo

Banned
Totobeni said:
Is that thing even a real game at this point? at least we know that Versus is real.
I've heard rumours it's an set of clever photoshopping commissioned by a disgruntled Ken Kutaragi.

Kyon

Banned
Billychu said:
Is your avatar the legendary Toph? :D

Reveirg

I'm more and more confident that we'll get a full reveal in ~January/February with a Japanese release date in December 2012. This would follow the pattern introduced with FFXIII-2's campaign.

With S-E's plan to ask every development team to get one game out every 2 years, this would allow 2 big Square teams (the XIII and the Versus XIII team) to get a game out every year.

Yes, this is wishful thinking on my part, but quite plausible anyway...

And it's time we realize how bright the future is for JRPG fans that own a PS3 : with 2 Tales games, Dark Souls and Ni No Kuni coming soon, as well as the FFX HD remake, Versus XIII and Last Guardian bound to be released in the next two years, maximum, I say that's one hell of a line-up.

StuBurns

Banned
Reveirg said:
I'm more and more confident that we'll get a full reveal in ~January/February with a Japanese release date in December 2012. This would follow the pattern introduced with FFXIII-2's campaign.

With S-E's plan to ask every development team to get one game out every 2 years, this would allow 2 big Square teams (the XIII and the Versus XIII team) to get a game out every year.

Yes, this is wishful thinking on my part, but quite plausible anyway...
XIII2 - 2011
Vs - 2012
XIII3 - 2013
KH - 2014?

It's possible.

Reveirg

-Pyromaniac- said:
Any word on whether or not Versus will appear at Jump Festa in December? I would think yes....

Doubtful in my opinion, they've been really scared of showing Versus XIII during their XIII-2 hype campaign. With the Jump Fest happenning only 1 or 2 weeks following its release, I don't know if they'll already be willing to show Versus. I sure hope so though.

StuBurns said:
XIII2 - 2011
Vs - 2012
XIII3 - 2013
KH - 2014?

It's possible.

I guess that would be the ideal scenario. They could throw in the XIV relaunch and the FFX HD remake in Mid 2012, and a Ito or Minagawa-developped FFXV in mid 2013 or mid 2014, and we'd at least get a good dose of HD Squaresoft regularly. Again, wishful thinking, but if S-E learned from their mistakes, it's possible...

Reveirg said:
Doubtful in my opinion, they've been really scared of showing Versus XIII during their XIII-2 hype campaign. With the Jump Fest happenning only 1 or 2 weeks following its release, I don't know if they'll already be willing to show Versus. I sure hope so though.
It appeared there before FF13 came out I believe, so there is hope...

I think my interest in Versus XIII has been a near inverse of most of the community's. When it was first announced, I couldn't have cared less about it. I'm not much of a Kingdom Hearts fan, and this seemed to promise many of Nomura's worst excesses. Why would I want a modern-ish day emo romance story? Even when details started leaking about a world map and proper towns, I kind of thought, "that's a nice nod to older games this one will never live up to." I never even questioned that I would be skipping Versus XIII on release. But the fact that it's taken so long to develop has given me time to warm up to the whole project. It sounds like Nomura and company have put a ton of thought into the world design and story presentation, and if that degree of thoughtfulness carries over into the battle system, I think I could enjoy this game for what it is. I'm thinking I'm going to buy it, supposing Square-Enix ever gives me the chance.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Reveirg said:
If they're holding another January conference (not sure if they will, but it'd be great if they did), they might show Versus then.

jackdoe

Dark Schala said:
If they're holding another January conference (not sure if they will, but it'd be great if they did), they might show Versus then.
Why not just include the footage as part of FFXIII-2?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StuBurns said:
XIII2 - 2011
Vs - 2012
XIII3 - 2013
KH - 2014?

It's possible.

Hoping that XIII-3 is just domain squatting, my list will look like this:

XIII-2 - 2011
Vs XIII and FFX HD - 2012
XV - 2013

jackdoe

ULTROS! said:
Hoping that XIII-3 is just domain squatting, my list will look like this:

XIII-2 - 2011
Vs XIII and FFX HD - 2012
XV - 2013
Where does XIV on the PS3 fit in there? Hahahaha.

Reveirg

jackdoe said:
Where does XIV on the PS3 fit in there? Hahahaha.

Maybe mid-2012 and X HD will be out in mid-2013 only. They did say it'd take quite a while before we'd get X HD. Then again, maybe they'll surprise us and get 3 HD games out in one year!

tokkun

badcrumble said:
It uses the lighting from Luminous? On the one hand, thank god, that'll at least speed up asset creation by an order of magnitude.

The quote in the OP actually says lightning technology, though that is perhaps a typo. Insert your own FFXIII joke.

I tried checking the original article but the link in the OP seems to be dead and I don't see it on Andriasang's page.

Reveirg said:

I agree. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but right now I believe both Versus and The Last Guardian will be holiday 2012 releases.
MGS Rising's going to get cancelled though.

haha this and persona 5 are the key points in my argument that ps3 will have a long prosperous life after retirement of 'current gen' status.

Who care's if the game is expansive? I've played your KH games(1,2,BBs), with their terrible level design. Prove me wrong Nomura. Prove me wrong.

StuBurns

Banned
chickdigger802 said:
haha this and persona 5 are the key points in my argument that ps3 will have a long prosperous life after retirement of 'current gen' status.
Persona 5 is almost certainly coming to 360.

Reveirg

chickdigger802 said:

Heh, I actually forgot P5 in my earlier list. Looking forward to this one too, and yes, it'll probably come out around the same time as VXIII and The Last Guardian!

Top Bottom