• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve dev posts pic of Left 4 Dead 3 folder in Destinations tutorial, then removes it

Arulan

Whenever this comes out, I eagerly await it. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are some of the best examples of co-op game design. They succeeded in making a game that was enjoyable to play again and again, without having to use the now-common Skinner box influence. I mostly played campaign, not so much versus.

A significant part of this is due to the ease of modding. Every other night or so, for years after its release, my friends and I would simply browse Nexus mods, and find another campaign. Many of which were fantastic. It's baffling why most developers don't support mods, when there have been several cases of it adding enormous value and maintaining a community for years after release.

Kid Heart

Whenever this comes out, I eagerly await it. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are some of the best examples of co-op game design. They succeeded in making a game that was enjoyable to play again and again, without having to use the now-common Skinner box influence. I mostly played campaign, not so much versus.

A significant part of this is due to the ease of modding. Every other night or so, for years after its release, my friends and I would simply browse Nexus mods, and find another campaign. Many of which were fantastic. It's baffling why most developers don't support mods, when there have been several cases of it adding enormous value and maintaining a community for years after release.

Agreed. I can't remember their names, but I had a lot of fun playing on the Japanese map, as well as the Disney land map. I'm hoping with three you can just download custom maps straight from the game client instead of having to use a third party website. It would make it a lot easier to get more custom games going.

Parsnip

I actually don't care about L4D3 but it would be nice to see something from one of these obviously worked on but still not announced projects that Valve has.

SMG

I don't give a shit until I see some fucking footage.

Its been so long since Valve put out a proper game that I wonder what it would look like even down to art style.
With H2 they went hard after realism, will they push harder that way or go somewhere else with it. Will they even bother trying to push graphics hard to settle for a nice high standard.

I'm sure Left 4 Dead 3 will be released at some point, it's impossible to estimate when. I really think that if that game runs in VR it would be super terrifying though.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
If we actually get a new IP from Valve within the next 5 years I'll make a cake that is crow shaped. It's more likely for Valve to continue one of their existing IPs.

Stars of Blood is gonna come back one day. Just you wait.

The Lamp

Left 4 Dead series is the best thing Valve has ever done (you heard me right) so I've been dangling here waiting for L4D3 for years through these leaks that confirm it exists but will never come out, and these fuckers won't even announce it. I have little more than contempt for these devs.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I imagine they will remaster or port over l4d1 and 2 as part of the l4d3 package, would be nice

SomTervo

I think if Left 4 Dead 3 is a thing, it's likely that the 2014 rumours of the game using procedurally generated levels probably have a lot of weight to them.

L4D 1 and 2 were made up of well designed, pre-set levels that Valve tried to make as replayable as possible. At some point, of course, you're going to know those levels inside and out and where all the key spawns are (eg weapons/items). How do you offset this? Procedural generation. We know it can work, eg in games like Spelunky. And Valve are certainly smart enough to pull it off. The thought of procedurally generated levels in L4D is pretty exciting.

Daouzin

Oh man, I've been waiting for this game since a year after L4D2. I was really thinking that they were going to keep releasing them, at least one every 2 years.

I think if Left 4 Dead 3 is a thing, it's likely that the 2014 rumours of the game using procedurally generated levels probably have a lot of weight to them.

L4D 1 and 2 were made up of well designed, pre-set levels that Valve tried to make as replayable as possible. At some point, of course, you're going to know those levels inside and out and where all the key spawns are (eg weapons/items). How do you offset this? Procedural generation. We know it can work, eg in games like Spelunky. And Valve are certainly smart enough to pull it off. The thought of procedurally generated levels in L4D is pretty exciting.

If this is true, I'd definitely play it for twice as long as I played the first 2, at least.

Se_7_eN

Since they have a difficult time with the number 3, I believe the new Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, and Half Life will come together in The Orange Box 2.

Its been so long since Valve put out a proper game that I wonder what it would look like even down to art style.
With H2 they went hard after realism, will they push harder that way or go somewhere else with it. Will they even bother trying to push graphics hard to settle for a nice high standard.

I don't expect them to. They been doing more and more stylized stuff since Orange Box, plus they want their MP titles to have low system reqs, even if ironically Source 1 titles run pretty crapy now.

I don't see why they would, they supported Portal 2 extremely well on PS3. That being said Global Offensive was put out to die.

If it's going to be heavily monetized service, which it probably will, it might launch on consoles, but don't expect much post-launch support.

Tain

Given how nuts SteamVR is, Valve can continue to not really focus on making games. That's fine by me.

The Lab is neat though, don't get me wrong.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Be interesting to see if it takes an approach similar to what has happened to CSGO/Dota2. Not that I would mind, but it would just make me slightly more stressed about whatever kind of game HL3 will inevitably be.

213372bu

Banned
When was the first time L4D3 got leaked? 3 years ago?

Well before Portal 2's release date, 2011, Valve's service for filesharing/messaging leaked the name of two Left 4 Dead 3 groups. It had (has?) been constantly popping up those Left 4 Dead 3 groups at the top of "recent" groups every now and again.

Top Bottom