• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So I have not been to downtown for some time now since moving out. Well I just went back and I feel like there is a noticeable uptick in the amount of young homeless people. I'm talking young people who don't appear disabled or things like that. I remember there used to be a small group that seems like they would congregate in front of Granville's McDonalds. Now I see bigger groups and groups in other areas. Am I just seeing things or has it always been this bad? On that note, I also am very curious about the mentality of these kids who would rather be homeless than work at the McDonalds where they congregate... I mean that McDonalds has a "hiring" sign? Any of you folks here know what's happening? Or maybe I am getting old and have that "kids these days" mentality? I used to work at retail stores too growing up so I know it isn't all glamorous... Help me understand, Vancouver-GAF.

Cheerilee

A skilled beggar with no shame can supposedly make more in a day than you or I can. Definitely more than a McJob.

Which is not to make light of the people with real problems. There are people with mental health and addiction problems, there are kids with family problems so terrible that they'd rather die on the street than spend another day in their parents basement (some people's solution to the explosive housing market).

Welfare is supposed to take care of the vulnerable, but there are cracks in the system, and homeless people have a pretty hard time nailing job interviews. Job interviews can be crushing on their own, but now imagine going into one tired, unwashed, and angry at the world.

I'm somewhat hopeful for a new/old idea for welfare that the Federal Liberals are saying needs to be looked into, as a solution to a post-automation world that has put millions of people out of work. Guaranteed Minimum Income. Basically everyone gets welfare, rich, poor, young, old, enough money to live on, and the minimum wage is disbanded. No cracks in the system, no need for beggars, everyone is guaranteed to earn a living wage (even those with McJobs who currently can't make ends meet), and there's no reason not to accept a McJob, because any job (even five cents an hour) becomes a job worth taking. It's currently just a theory. Probably decades away, if it even works or is accepted.

Dazzler

So I have not been to downtown for some time now since moving out. Well I just went back and I feel like there is a noticeable uptick in the amount of young homeless people. I'm talking young people who don't appear disabled or things like that. I remember there used to be a small group that seems like they would congregate in front of Granville's McDonalds. Now I see bigger groups and groups in other areas. Am I just seeing things or has it always been this bad? On that note, I also am very curious about the mentality of these kids who would rather be homeless than work at the McDonalds where they congregate... I mean that McDonalds has a "hiring" sign? Any of you folks here know what's happening? Or maybe I am getting old and have that "kids these days" mentality? I used to work at retail stores too growing up so I know it isn't all glamorous... Help me understand, Vancouver-GAF.

The homeless problem in this city isn't a problem it's a crisis.

That being said, the gutter punks that congregate on Granville are an eye sore. If it's a lifestyle choice for some of them then they don't deserve anyone's pity.

I see a lot of them with signs along the lines of "just arrived in town, no money" - I mean why would you travel to a strange city with no money and no means of supporting yourself?

They're from out East. They hitch a ride on the trains and come here for the summer because the weather is nice. That said, I don't know if they go back (for school) because the winters out East aren't friendly.

The homeless problem in this city isn't a problem it's a crisis.

That being said, the gutter punks that congregate on Granville are an eye sore. If it's a lifestyle choice for some of them then they don't deserve anyone's pity.

I see a lot of them with signs along the lines of "just arrived in town, no money" - I mean why would you travel to a strange city with no money and no means of supporting yourself?

Homeless are an eye sore people.

I got a notice yesterday stating there are more "vagrants" around the neighborhood and every tenant is urged to contact the RCMP noting "no issue is too small".

Dazzler

Homeless are an eye sore people.

I got a notice yesterday stating there are more "vagrants" around the neighborhood and every tenant is urged to contact the RCMP noting "no issue is too small".

I'm pretty careful to draw the line between the gutter punks, who (in a lot of cases) do this as a lifestyle choice, and people who are genuinely on the streets due to a lack of alternatives

It's sad walking through Gastown in the morning and seeing the level of suffering, I wish more could be done about it and more services provided for these people

NetMapel

I have all the sympathy in the world for the older, disabled and possibly mentally challenged homeless here in Vancouver. But the young folks I see that's making me wonder are perfectly able bodied and sometimes have signs that ask for weed. I mean, that just seems to be perpetuating the stereotype of stoner losers who should go "get a job", you know. So that's why I thought I'd ask here and see new perspectives.

Isn't that mental facility Riverview going to be reopened in the future? Are there going to be forceful move on clearly mentally unstable homeless into the facility? How will these people get help in that facility if they don't have money to pay for treatments?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Your first thought should be not believing anything that is posted on TIFU and by extension, Reddit.

have you SEEN the kind of threads that have popped up on GAF lately?

have you seen Tabris bragging about taking his 10-year-younger dates on deluxe babyfood dates?

nothing surprises me anymore

have you SEEN the kind of threads that have popped up on GAF lately?

have you seen Tabris bragging about taking his 10-year-younger dates on deluxe babyfood dates?

nothing surprises me anymore

Then again, Tabris does it because he has nothing better to do and he's an attention whore to the max.

Reddit is designed for these stories with the upvote/downvote system. Here on GAF, you really only get a member tag or a ban.

B-Dex

Vancouver is a trash-tier wannabe global destination. Vacation advertising makes me laugh honestly. An entire city full of Tabris.

Vancouver is a trash-tier wannabe global destination. Vacation advertising makes me laugh honestly. An entire city full of Tabris.

Yeah.

If I wanted to go somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, i'd rather go to Portland or Seattle before Vancouver.

The only thing Vancouver has over those two are things to do in regards to active living, but even then....

Smiley90

I wouldn't quite call it that but yeah, Vancouver is missing big tourist attractions - that said, if you're into the outdoors it's a GREAT vacation destinations. Tons of hiking and pretty nature nearby (Island, Squamish-Whistler nearby, too)

it's all about what you're into.

I wouldn't quite call it that but yeah, Vancouver is missing big tourist attractions - that said, if you're into the outdoors it's a GREAT vacation destinations. Tons of hiking and pretty nature nearby (Island, Squamish-Whistler nearby, too)

it's all about what you're into.

Yeah if you are active, Vancouver and the surrounding area is world class. Anything else, and you are better served going south.

I should buy a house...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ales-record-in-neighbourhood/article30504103/

LISTING PRICE

$2.780-million

SELLING PRICE

$3.288-million

DAYS ON MARKET

Five

...never mind.

Okay I'll buy a condo...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ers-with-insider-condo-sales/article30498453/

Major condo developers in Vancouver are shutting out average buyers by selling their most affordable new units privately – to clients of select realtors and “family and friends” – before their advertised sale dates, The Globe and Mail has learned.

The typical sales contracts also allow those insiders to legally flip the units under construction (known as presale) before closing as long as the developer gets a cut from that transaction. Like shadow flipping with houses, flips of presale condos have been controversial in Vancouver. When supply is scarce and prices are escalating, flipping leaves buyers who want units to live in feeling ripped off or shut out.

...never mind.

I'll just rent...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-airbnb-research-1.3621539

Iain Marjoribanks just finished a study on Airbnb — with guidance from the B.C. Non-Profit Housing Association — to find out how many people are just renting out an extra bed here and there, and how many are de facto commercial operators.

"What I found in my research was about 77 per cent of Airbnb's revenues come from hosts that don't appear to live in the units they list on Airbnb — what I call commercial hosts as opposed to casual hosts, which is how Airbnb tends to portray itself," Marjoribanks told All Points West host Robyn Burns.

"The top 10 per cent of hosts are these 'mega hosts' who bring in about 27 per cent of Airbnb's revenue and list three or more listings. So those are the people who either take a single house and run it like a hotel with individual rooms, or people who are renting those multiple houses all over town."

...so much for that.

diaspora

I got an offer to work in Vancouver (front end dev) for $50k. I live in Ontario now- can anyone tell me if this salary is livable for the city downtown?

NetMapel

I mean, I'd rather do that tbh but I've only gotten callbacks for front end stuff so...

Depends where. Toronto is huge. Median household income is 60-65k iirc.
Yeah just live around a skytrain station and you'll be fine. Approach housing here like Toronto since it is also all about subway starions there too.

Peterthumpa

It drenched me yesterday as I was in Stanley park on my electric longboard. Probably ruined it as well which sucks :(

Just got it a month ago.

That's exactly my fear when looking for an electric board a few weeks back. Decided to wait for a 2nd gen Boosted, at least it's partially waterproof (meaning it can take a few drops here and there but definitely not recommended to use while raining).

Couldn't you just stop and go back walking? Turning it upside down would probably shield the electric engine from the rain somehow.

trifelife

It drenched me yesterday as I was in Stanley park on my electric longboard. Probably ruined it as well which sucks :(

Just got it a month ago.

Not saying you deserve it for having an electric longboard, but you deserve it for having an electric longboard. Though I guess it's not as bad as an electric unicycle...

That's exactly my fear when looking for an electric board a few weeks back. Decided to wait for a 2nd gen Boosted, at least it's partially waterproof (meaning it can take a few drops here and there but definitely not recommended to use while raining).

Couldn't you just stop and go back walking? Turning it upside down would probably shield the electric engine from the rain somehow.
I was already on the west side of the wall past Lionsgate when it randomly started pouring. And rain was sideways due to wind. The motor isn't the issue. It's the battery plate on the bottom of the board. Water can get in. Even turning it where the bottom of the board is facing down wouldn't help it as water can still seep in.

No board but one model is waterproof yet. And that one board has been a Kickstarter customer service failure apparently (Marbel)

Not saying you deserve it for having an electric longboard, but you deserve it for having an electric longboard. Though I guess it's not as bad as an electric unicycle...
Some people like them. Some don't. But I'll never wish any harm or loss to someone because I don't agree with a purchase. What a stupid thing to say.

Peterthumpa

I was already on the west side of the wall past Lionsgate when it randomly started pouring. And rain was sideways due to wind. The motor isn't the issue. It's the battery plate on the bottom of the board. Water can get in. Even turning it where the bottom of the board is facing down wouldn't help it as water can still seep in.

No board but one model is waterproof yet. And that one board has been a Kickstarter customer service failure apparently (Marbel)

Well, that sucks. Here's hoping it still works. If not, check out the 2nd gen Boosted, they guarantee that it's definitely at least partially waterproofed:

IS THE BOARD WATER-RESISTANT?
All of the electronic drive components and motors are totally sealed and covered so you won’t damage the electronics if those elements come into contact with water. However, riding the board in wet environments like rain, snow and mud can still cause the bearings and hardware to corrode over time and may damage the natural bamboo in the Loaded deck. In addition, riding in wet conditions is slippery and extremely dangerous on any skateboard, so we don’t advise it. While the new design is much more water-resistant, excessive water damage is still not covered in your warranty.

https://boostedboards.com/faq/

Dazzler

There's a dude in Kits who commutes downtown on a unicycle. See him once a week, always funny

Well, that sucks. Here's hoping it still works. If not, check out the 2nd gen Boosted, they guarantee that it's definitely at least partially waterproofed:

https://boostedboards.com/faq/

I'll pass on the Boosted. They are good but the Evolve Boards have surpassed them especially with the latest gen ones. They have had numerous iterations and have been around longer.

Nothing is 'fully waterproof' and living in Vancouver, we are all doomed to skate these in the rain :p

(I also don't recommend skating in the rain.. can slide all over!)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Question for you BC folks: I'll be moving out west to be working 50:50 between Surrey and Abbotsford, so I'm looking for a place with relatively easy access to the Trans Canada highway.

I'm looking at apartments to rent in Langley and Surrey - ideally 1.5 br to 2br with a parking space in a relatively new building. Anyone know what price range to expect? I'm finding $1700k/month for an unfurnished place without utilities - is that about what I should expect for B.C in these areas?

Smiley90

Question for you BC folks: I'll be moving out west to be working 50:50 between Surrey and Abbotsford, so I'm looking for a place with relatively easy access to the Trans Canada highway.

I'm looking at apartments to rent in Langley and Surrey - ideally 1.5 br to 2br with a parking space in a relatively new building. Anyone know what price range to expect? I'm finding $1700k/month for an unfurnished place without utilities - is that about what I should expect for B.C in these areas?

You can definitely find cheaper than 1700/month for a 1BR/2BR in Surrey/langley.

You should be able to find a 1BR <1k and a 2BR ~1200 in those areas if you look long enough. For newer places / including in-suite utilities there's a premium but should still be around 1500 for a 2BR at most. Depending on how much time you have, check craigslist every couple days for new postings for ~a month and then decide? Renting outside of the city isnt too atrocious rent-cost wise

Top Bottom