• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
Being a Southerner and seeing stories like this kills me because it reinforces ignorant people's thoughts about how we are all racist, inbred scum down here.

Satyamdas

Banned
EdgecrusherLSU said:
Being a Southerner and seeing stories like this kills me because it reinforces ignorant people's thoughts about how we are all racist, inbred scum down here.
Yeah, well, if you aren't out there demanding everyone stop being racist and doing your part to ostracize the ignorant elements of your region, then I'm sorry but you are no better than the kid that ran that guy over.

If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

wwm0nkey

Satyamdas said:
Yeah, well, if you aren't out there demanding everyone stop being racist and doing your part to ostracize the ignorant elements of your region, then I'm sorry but you are no better than the kid that ran that guy over.

....what?

tass0

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
How often do you guys hear of ethnic minorities targeting whites like this? Serious question

Quite often. They just don't emphasize the race of the victim as much if they're white.

True story.

Raiden

Banned
Satyamdas said:

wat

tass0 said:
Quite often. They just don't emphasize the race of the victim as much if they're white.

True story.

I mean, was it racially motivated? Sure there are incidents involving one group where the victim is of another ethnicity, but how often is the context racially motivated in the manner this incident was?

SmokyDave

Meus Renaissance said:
Why is it a stupid question?
Because you must know that people of all colours are attacked by people of all colours all over the place, every day? Often with a motive centred around the victims 'difference'.

Sure, the racism might not be as overt but that's partially, to my mind, because we're only conditioned to expect racism in whites. Other ethnicities receive the benefit of the doubt as people look for alternative motives. That and the fact that 99% of the news on GAF is from the states, which has a somewhat unique racial history with a legacy that is still felt today.

I'm not suggesting it happens as much, I honestly wouldn't know. I doubt you're really daft enough to think it doesn't happen though. You must remember Kriss Mcdonald.

Meus Renaissance said:
I mean, was it racially motivated? Sure there are incidents involving one group where the victim is of another ethnicity, but how often is the context racially motivated in the manner this incident was?
This goes back to what I said above. You expect racism from whites where others receive the benefit of the doubt.

Beat the shit out of the perps, then run them over.
edit: I knew which exact poster would bring the thread in the direction of "black people do it too!
And? That doesnt make this guy any less dead. At the hands of white teens.

SmokyDave said:
Because you must know that people of all colours are attacked by people of all colours all over the place, every day? Often with a motive centred around the victims 'difference'.

Sure, the racism might not be as overt but that's partially, to my mind, because we're only conditioned to expect racism in whites. Other ethnicities receive the benefit of the doubt as people look for alternative motives. That and the fact that 99% of the news on GAF is from the states.

I'm not suggesting it happens as much, I honestly wouldn't know. I doubt you're really daft enough to think it doesn't happen though.

You misunderstood. My question wasn't about whether X colour has ever attacked someone of Y colour, but rather whether Y was attacked simply for being Y. Personally, I can't remember the last time I heard of an ethnic minority attacking a white person out of a hatred for whites. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen but rather that I haven't heard about it (which reinforces the complaints in the comments in the article that those incidents are not highlighted as race motivated). I asked because I wanted to know if I was the only one here who hadn't heard of them much - it wasn't a rhetorical question aimed to dismiss those comments.

SmokyDave

Meus Renaissance said:
You misunderstood. My question wasn't about whether X colour has ever attacked someone of Y colour, but rather whether Y was attacked simply for being Y. Personally, I can't remember the last time I heard of an ethnic minority attacking a white person out of a hatred for whites
Read the link I edited in then. It happens.

This goes back to what I said above. You expect racism from whites where others receive the benefit of the doubt.
I've heard more racist comments [about whites] from blacks in my lifetime than vice versa so I'm not ignorant on that facet. But truthfully I cannot recall the last time I've heard of an example where a group of blacks go out looking for a white person to beat up. Again that's not say it doesn't happen, but I haven't come across it in the media. In similar ways, you'll hear about prejudice against ethnic minorities in the work place but on comment sections you'll see people complain about affirmative action meaning they can't find jobs - something you don't really come across in your newspapers.

SmokyDave said:
Read the link I edited in then. It happens.

Ok

Satyamdas

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
....what?
Raiden said:
I said that all the posts shitting on the south were misguided. This kind of deplorable racially motivated shit happens everywhere and what causes people to commit murder in cold blood cannot be blamed on "lol the south". That kind of flippant shit is lazy and ignorant.

Someone replied with this:

aswedc said:
I grew up in an area so white some years there wasn't a single black kid in a school of almost a thousand. Some people were racist. Most weren't. Here's the thing - no one ever called out the racists. Their racist views were just swept under the rug and they were basically just as popular as anyone else among the nonracist majority.

Not condoning racism isn't enough anymore. The community needs to get together and recognize this reflects negatively on all of them, and that they have an affirmative responsibility to make sure anyone with racist views is socially and publicly ostracized. Everyone has a part to play.
So my response was just rephrasing this in a sarcastic manner. I hate that I had to explain this. :|

SmokyDave said:

Sure, the racism might not be as overt but that's partially, to my mind, because we're only conditioned to expect racism in whites. Other ethnicities receive the benefit of the doubt as people look for alternative motives.
hahaha. You're an ignorant fool if you think blacks and Arabs or Hispanics get a pass on bigotry or prejudice. Not from the American right. Fox News motherfucker. Rush Limbaugh. Michael Savage. Glenn Beck. Sean Hannity motherfucker.

RaGe_pt

Disgusting... How can a human being do something like this? Seriously in this case they should let the families do the justice, I know what I would do...

Dead Man

theignoramus said:
hahaha. You're an ignorant fool if you think blacks and Arabs or Hispanics get a pass on bigotry or prejudice. Not from the American right. Fox News motherfucker. Rush Limbaugh. Michael Savage. Glenn Beck. Sean Hannity motherfucker.
You're an ignorant fool if you think that's what he was saying.

SmokyDave

theignoramus said:
I... um..... ok?

I'm sure they do, I'm not American. I was thinking of the bigger picture. As I acknowledged, America is different in this area, having done so much of their racial politics 'out in the open', so to speak.

Soule

Satyamdas said:
I hate that I had to explain this. :|
Eh, I made a half attempt to direct them to your response to aswedc before but all too slow methinks. Anyway I agree it's not smart to paint with such broad strokes about these kind of issues (well pretty much any issue really).

Baconbitz

Banned
Teen probably had this on an old pick with a confederate flag on it. I think someone from the family of the man who was run over should be able to run over the teen.

Dead Man said:
You're an ignorant fool if you think that's what he was saying.
we're only conditioned to expect racism in whites.
this is what he said. I dont care what the fuck he's trying to say. This statement is total bullshit and does not reflect reality. what bigger picture? the one where Arabs, for example, arent stereotyped as raving anti-semites?

tass0 said:

True story.
Statistically, hate crimes by whites take up a far larger percentage than hate crimes by any other group in this country. It's not that the others don't happen, they just don't happen nearly as frequently.

Who is this Aaron Rice (facebook kid) in relation to the murder suspect?

Edit: Never mind, he was accused of assault. Isn't he in the video? How are none of the other kids being charged as accomplices?

Measley

I want to know how the fuck someone gets a 50k bond for 1st degree murder charges.

edit: They've only been charged with simple assault? WTF!

Satyamdas

Banned
Soule said:
Eh, I made a half attempt to direct them to your response to aswedc before but all too slow methinks. Anyway I agree it's not smart to paint with such broad strokes about these kind of issues (well pretty much any issue really).
I noticed just now that I refreshed the thread. Appreciate it, man.

Meus Renaissance said:
Personally, I can't remember the last time I heard of an ethnic minority attacking a white person out of a hatred for whites.

First off how do you even assess the motivation behind a crime? Unless you have hard evidence most criminals will do their best to hide their true motivation.
Secondly, statistically speaking there's a lot more ethnic crime against whites than the other way around. But that doesn't get the same media attention for all the well known reasons.

SmokyDave

theignoramus said:
this is what he said. I dont care what the fuck he's trying to say. This statement is total bullshit and does not reflect reality. what bigger picture? the one where Arabs, for example, arent stereotyped as raving anti-semites?
Would you be happier if I'd said 'we're conditioned to expect differing levels of racism from different ethnicities'? There's a reason that people get shocked when they see minorities discriminating against minorities.

Anyway, my only point was that this does indeed happen the other way around. It happens all ways around. Humans love a bit of conflict and 'differences' are as good a reason for a scrap as any other.

Absolutely disgusting! He deserves a painful death and nothing less. How someone can hate another race so much is just pathetic in this day and age.

Measley

Capitan Futuro said:
First off how do you even assess the motivation behind a crime? Unless you have hard evidence most criminals will do their best to hide their true motivation.
Secondly, statistically speaking there's a lot more ethnic crime against whites than the other way around. But that doesn't get the same media attention for all the well known reasons.

Probably because a black guy mugging a white person isn't really news. Meanwhile, an 18 year old white teen and his gang of friends beating a 49 year old man and then running him over all while on videotape is far more news worthy.

BTW, whites get lighter sentences and less jail time than minorities do. These white teens for example were only charged with simple assault. If things were reversed, black teens would be getting capital murder charges. But that doesn't get the same media attention for "well known reasons".

magicstop

Makes me so angry to hear this story... I'm from Jackson, so I know the area they are referring to, and I know the type of racist idiot involved. Only wish the black guy had been armed so he could have protected himself and done the world a fucking favor. Of course, he probably would have then arrested and beaten by the cops.

thanks for defending the south, satyamdas. the hypocrisy makes my head spin. i've always lived in the south, and the only things i hate are the landlord's dog that i have to babysit and gaf, and probably because i can't get away from either. i've never seen any sort of violent racism, or really any violence of any sort, and i've only seen the backwater toothless hicks in the movies. i've heard the n bomb dropped more than a few times, but half the time those same people will treat black people with kindness and dignity, so i reckon that's just part of their vernacular.

Measley said:
BTW, whites get lighter sentences and less jail time than minorities do. These white teens for example were only charged with simple assault. If things were reversed, black teens would be getting capital murder charges. But that doesn't get the same media attention for "well known reasons".

I guess that's just an old host country tradition.

Capitan Futuro said:
According to the FBI, >60% of hate crimes are performed by whites.

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/offenders.html

Of course, that includes crimes focussed on religion and sexual orientation as well.

Looking at the way the story unfolded, the witnesses the prosecution has are probably the other kids in the trucks. They more than likely offered up testimony against their friends (as they had no idea he was going to actually kill someone) in exchange for immunity.

Interfectum

I love the reverse bigotry in this thread. "Bu bu bu bu the South."

Isn't discriminating against an entire group of people based on the actions of the few is what caused the OP incident to happen to begin with?

Dead Man

Interfectum said:

Isn't discriminating against an entire group of people based on the actions of the few is what caused the OP incident to happen to begin with?
Identifying a geographical area as including a high number of a certain type of people is not the same as saying all people in that area are of that type.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
According to the FBI, >60% of hate crimes are performed by whites.

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/offenders.html

Of course, that includes crimes focussed on religion and sexual orientation as well.

Looking at the way the story unfolded, the witnesses the prosecution has are probably the other kids in the trucks. They more than likely offered up testimony against their friends (as they had no idea he was going to actually kill someone) in exchange for immunity.
Depending on how you read those statistics, you could say that proportionally non whites commit more hate crimes than whites. It is quite arbitrary though.

G_Berry

Banned
How is running a dude over in your car on purpose, then bragging about it simple assault?

If I was related to the poor guy that died, I'd go vigilante on that kids family. Old school revenge to the death to avenge him, fuck it.

Interfectum said:

Even the CNN video makes a note of Mississippi's "troubled history." Obviously stories like this would get much more media attention if it happened someplace that was historically liberal in race relations.

magicstop

Interfectum said:

Are you suggesting that the history of slavery and discrimination / bigotry against black people was brought about by the actions of ANY of them?!? What the hell is wrong with you? I'm from Jackson, so i can speak with some fucking qualification. This shit sickened me, but i wasn't terribly surprised. Mississippi has a history of violence towards black people. If you are arguing against this, you're fucking uninformed. And don't you dare suggest that the bigotry is based on the actions of any black person. It's based on ignorance and blind hatred.

Esch

Banned
These comments are ridiculous..

GOPisbetter
The kids were drunk and were acting stupid. Find the liberals who served them the alcohol and arrest them. The teens should maybe be charged with underage drinking but that's it.
1 minute ago | Like | Report abuse

RS4-

I can't believe they let him post bond and that the other scum pieces of shit in the car weren't charged with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom