• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meus Renaissance said:
How often do you guys hear of ethnic minorities targeting whites like this? Serious question

I heard about it this weekend, some white people were attacked at the wisconsin state fair. You didn't? It was all over the news. You seriously need to get over the delusion that media and government are biased against whites.

jaxword

RS4- said:
I can't believe they let him post bond and that the other scum pieces of shit in the car weren't charged with anything.

The speed in which he posted bond suggests to me that some money sped up the gears of justice.

Capitan Futuro said:
No, it says the opposite. It would be highly unlikely that those groups who commit more crime wouldn't also commit more hate crime.
I don't think you even know what you're arguing here. Taken at face value, a racially motivated crime is 3x more likely to be white vs ____ than black vs ____.

As someone mentioned above, this is "good" insofar as whites are relatively underrepresented, but the fact remains that minorities still have more reason to fear being randomly targeted just for what they are than white Americans.

SmokyDave

Sho_Nuff82 said:
As someone mentioned above, this is "good" insofar as whites are relatively underrepresented, but the fact remains that minorities still have more reason to fear being randomly targeted just for what they are than white Americans.
Don't we need stats on victims, rather than perps, to make that call?

I suspect you're almost certainly correct but we can't derive that from those statistics.

saelz8

Most of the posts on that FB group are from July, so I'm thinking it's pre-surveillance video.

Hopefully many of them changed their tune after watching it.

This is such a sad story with a tragic end for a family. First degree murder no doubt due to pre-meditated and intent to carry out the killing.

But on the Facebook group, no surprise there as there is no shortage of idiots in this world.

Capitan Futuro said:
Statistically speaking there's a lot more ethnic crime against whites than the other way around.

Source? My original question was how often it happened so I'd be interested to any stats

Bel Marduk said:
I heard about it this weekend, some white people were attacked at the wisconsin state fair. You didn't? It was all over the news. You seriously need to get over the delusion that media and government are biased against whites.

I didn't say they were, but alluded to the comments that stated that. And no I didn't know of the incident at the state fair - I'm not in the US so don't browse US news sites often unless its internationally relevant

Measley

SmokyDave said:

I suspect you're almost certainly correct but we can't derive that from those statistics.

Wouldn't the stats be accurate if the FBI (or local authorities) investigates a crime and find the crime to be a hate crime?

Jme

Jesus fucking christ.

I'm glad there's footage so this can be an open and shut case and that kid can go fuck off and die in prison. But I'm also appalled that CNN felt it was important to share the footage with the public. The only public that needs to see that is a jury.

The crime was absolutely horrifying, and I completely agree with others who believe that the accomplices were just that, and should be charged as accessories in murder.

I am also somewhat relieved to see that the Facebook support group for John Aaron Rice went from 160+ members, down to 5. People realize that they were duped, and this kid beat a man enough to contribute to his death.
Jme said:
Jesus fucking christ.

I'm glad there's footage so this can be an open and shut case and that kid can go fuck off and die in prison. But I'm also appalled that CNN felt it was important to share the footage with the public. The only public that needs to see that is a jury.
On one hand, it is insensitive to the family. On the other, the detectives and law enforcement used such extremely poor decisionmaking in coddling these teens, I think the increased pressure and bigger microscope might ensure a better chance at proper justice.

SmokyDave said:

From another page on the same site:

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/victims.html

Nearly half of reported hate crimes are racially motivated. Of those, 70% of the victims are black, 17% are white.

I'm still amazed at the bail amounts. Both accused are 18, so they aren't minors, and the assault charge is nothing to sneeze at by itself.

CrankyJay

Banned
Jme said:
Jesus fucking christ.

Why? The public has the right to not watch it.

Tapiozona

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

Nearly half of reported hate crimes are racially motivated. Of those, 70% of the victims are black, 17% are white.

I'm still amazed at the bail amounts. Both accused are 18, so they aren't minors, and the assault charge is nothing to sneeze at by itself.

Since white's make up over 72% of the population it would make sense that over 70% of the victims were black. That's of course assuming that every hate crime against a black is perpetrated by a white, which of course isn't the case.

On the flip side, 17% of the victims are white, while blacks make up 12% of the population. Again, with the same assumption that only blacks are perpetrators of hate crimes against whites, then black people are more likely to commit a hate crime against a white person than vice versa.

Honestly, seems like every race has an equal chance of idiots hating people based solely on race. Time and education will fix it but it's a long way off. Maybe 100-200 years from now when we all muddle into a lighter shade of brown will we finally be past race.

SmokyDave

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Isn't that roughly in line with the population?

Now this, this I would love an explanation for. Hell, I don't really understand how he (the driver) could be bailed at all.

Satyamdas

Banned
Measley said:
That bail amount should be a pretty clear indicator that racism is alive an well in Mississippi.
Can you point to anyone who has asserted that racism is dead and gone, much less in Mississippi of all places?

entremet

Measley said:
That bail amount should be a pretty clear indicator that racism is alive an well in Mississippi.
The criminal justice system alone is evidence that racism is systemic across the United States. I'm talking about disparities in sentencing. And don't even talk about the death penalty.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just saw this on CNN. Terrible that things like this still happen. Terrible that they ever happened.

Interfectum

entrement said:
The criminal justice system alone is evidence that racism is systemic across the United States. I'm talking about disparities in sentencing. And don't even talk about the death penalty.

I'd also note that the justice system is classist as well. If you are poor, you have little chance. If you are poor and black, you have no chance.

Koomaster

Wow, only $50k? That's outrageous; how is he not still a danger to the public? This wasn't a crime against one person he hated, his murder was racially motivated.

If he's smart he will flee the country and go into hiding the rest of his life. I'm guessing the other bunch of teens aren't being charged because they are cooperating with police and going to give testimony against this guy. That coupled with the video footage is sure to be a slam dunk to send him away forever. So I don't think he has much hope of freedom in his future.

Still, $50k, I'm shocked. I could sell my house and get away with a couple murders for that price. Crazy.

TacticalFox88 said:
What the fuck?! 2011? In 2011?!

That's exactly how I felt, man.

And now I am depressed.

The only thing I want is for these kids to be unable to reproduce... make it happen congress!

Dead Man

Interfectum said:
I'd also note that the justice system is classist as well. If you are poor, you have little chance. If you are poor and black, you have no chance.
Yep. Black = fucked. Poor = fucked. Black and poor? So fucked.

Don't burn him or give him the death penalty.

foodtaster said:
SMH. lock him up in a black prison and advertise him crime.

THIS is the perfect solution for him. He'll the spend the rest of his life in hell until he dies.

Interfectum

magicstop said:
Are you suggesting that the history of slavery and discrimination / bigotry against black people was brought about by the actions of ANY of them?!? What the hell is wrong with you? I'm from Jackson, so i can speak with some fucking qualification. This shit sickened me, but i wasn't terribly surprised. Mississippi has a history of violence towards black people. If you are arguing against this, you're fucking uninformed. And don't you dare suggest that the bigotry is based on the actions of any black person. It's based on ignorance and blind hatred.

Not at all. I'm suggesting that comments like "the south" or "thank you, based south" are lazy and they don't contribute anything to the discussion other than throwing ignorance on top of ignorance.

Satyamdas

Banned
Measley said:
Have you read Captain Futoro's posts?
I must have missed the one where he said racism is dead. Can you point me to it?

Bluth said:
We do have people bringing up the "Well, blacks commit crimes against white people too!" card.
Are those people claiming that crimes against white people cancel out crimes against blacks and that as a result we can say racism doesn't exist?

Maybe I'm missing something but I haven't seen anyone in this thread saying that racism isn't alive and well.

Khal_B

Souljiro said:
Such a sad story what the hell were they thinking to run over and kill a man like nothing would happen.

They weren't thinking at all. They were filled with hate and ignorance and acted as such. People like this should be put away for a long time.

Korey said:
A guy who's about to get two life sentences gets to roam free on bail?

Ok Mississippi.

It's better this way. Being out on bond lets the local population get a chance to save their state some tax payer money that would otherwise go to an expensive trial and subsequent incarceration, if you know what I mean. ;)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lionheart1337 said:
Vernon+Shillinger.jpg

H07hO.jpg

Interfectum

Khal_B said:
They weren't thinking at all. They were filled with hate and ignorance and acted as such. People like this should be put away for a long time.

I would say put them to death via electric chair but I wouldn't want these dumb fucks to become martyrs. Let them rot in prison.

Measley

Satyamdas said:
I must have missed the one where he said racism is dead. Can you point me to it?

Anytime someone counters an obvious hate crime with minority crime statistics, that is what they're saying. You know, the whole "race card" thing, "blacks are more racist" thing, or "white people are the REAL victims of racism" thing.

BTW, I'm glad you agree that Mississippi is a racist state.

Jme said:
Jesus fucking christ.

How else do you think they're going to stir up emotions and racial division in this country? It was the only option they had.

Dead Man

Measley said:
Anytime someone counters an obvious hate crime with minority crime statistics, that is what they're saying. You know, the whole "race card" thing.

That is quite a statement. Did you not consider that the statistics were in reply to a question?

SmokyDave

Bluth said:
We do have people bringing up the "Well, blacks commit crimes against white people too!" card.
Did they bring it up or were they correcting people that suggested it didn't happen?

You shouldn't lose sight of context.

Satyamdas

Banned
Measley said:
Anytime someone counters an obvious hate crime with minority crime statistics, that is what they're saying. You know, the whole "race card" thing, "blacks are more racist" thing, or "white people are the REAL victims of racism" thing.
Wait a minute. First you said he was implying there is no racism at all any more, and now you are saying that he thinks blacks are "more" racist and whites are the "real" victims of racism. Which is it??

Measley said:
You're a moron. A state can't be racist any more than a state can be gay or fat. Individuals are racist or gay or fat, and you have to be a complete idiot to suggest that an entire state, millions of people, all share the same ideology, sexual preference, or body type. I will of course acknowledge that racism exists in Mississippi, but I refuse to cast judgment on an entire state's populace because there are racists who reside there. It's lazy and ignorant to do so.

Measley

Dead Man said:
That is quite a statement. Did you not consider that the statistics were in reply to a question?

Actually they weren't.

Meus Renaissance said:
Personally, I can't remember the last time I heard of an ethnic minority attacking a white person out of a hatred for whites.

Captain Futoro said:
First off how do you even assess the motivation behind a crime? Unless you have hard evidence most criminals will do their best to hide their true motivation.
Secondly, statistically speaking there's a lot more ethnic crime against whites than the other way around. But that doesn't get the same media attention for all the well known reasons.

Z_Y

Prison will be too good for this twat. Drop him off in South Central LA and make him hand out news articles detailing his crime. Film it and put it on PPV. Donate the money to the victim's family.

Satyamdas said:
Wait a minute/ First you said he was implying there is no racism at all any more, and now you are saying that he thinks blacks are "more" racist and whites are the "real" victims of racism. Which is it??

You're a moron. A state can't be racist any more than a state can be gay or fat. Individuals are racist or gay or fat, and you have to be a complete idiot to suggest that an entire state, millions of people, all share the same ideology, sexual preference, or body type. I will of course acknowledge that racism exists in Mississippi, but I refuse to cast judgment on an entire state's populace because there are racists who reside there. It's lazy and ignorant to do so.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom