• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VVV coverage of near final PS4 version of ProjectCARS

FleetFeet

Cool, thanks for the update, OP.

Was interested in this game from when they announced a PS4 version, but once I saw they had karts, it became a must own. How I do love me some kart racing... shit was insanely fun in GT5 (skipped GT6 so I don't know if it was removed or improved upon).

Plus project morpheus support is the cherry on top.

Mascot

iirc from the digital foundry video, it was the pouring rain that had the biggest impact. nevermind, pouring rain at night should be (slightly?) worse

Yeah, I'm not too concerned. I know the game will struggle under certain conditions, but this video proves it looks pretty damn amazing for 99% of the time. Better than I dared hope for a few months ago really.

One thing I do want to mention: the brake lights. These are literally brilliant. No strobing at all and they give off a really realistic glow, even from distance. I can't stand it in racing games where brake lights are hard to spot, or are just a dull red texture. These actually look like lights. Superb detail.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, I'm not too concerned. I know the game will struggle under certain conditions, but this video proves it looks pretty damn amazing for 99% of the time. Better than I dared hope for a few months ago really.

One thing I do want to mention: the brake lights. These are literally brilliant. No strobing at all and they give off a really realistic glow, even from distance. I can't stand it in racing games where brake lights are hard to spot, or are just a dull red texture. These actually look like lights. Superb detail.

Keep in mind this is the first if many videos from Alan in the next couple of days. I'm sure there will be plenty of night stuff shown.

VVV Mars VG

Good idea on the night racing, I'll run a video on that.

Yes I've just been playing through rather than stress testing, no doubt everyone will be at it when the retail promo's go out. There also a lot of comparisons with other driving games which is inevitable, but ultimately meaningless as they all cater for a different audience, and that's why I try to cover and enjoy all aspects of automotive gaming, while its great to see the improved exposure for the genre this year.

Wow at the bit with the z4 and nurb. That's the best looking nurb I've seen...the vertical and horizontal elevation changes of the track have been done magnificently, can't wait to watch it again tomorrow at full 1080 on my 50 inch

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After all the publicity this game has had it better be successful, sadly it's had the reversed effect on me.
We still look into it, but I just don't see what everyone else sees in it.

Metfanant

Just started watching and the rays of light through the trees looks suuuuuuuuper overdone.

EDIT: Thank god you can turn it off.

i agree. totally over done through the trees

though they look freaking awesome in other settings. i saw a video of the california 101 (or azure coast?) and the god rays as you exited the tunnels were STUNNING.

I mean...if its striving for realism, and that's the position of the sun...that's what its going to look like...

You can't turn off the sun in real life...I'm just not understanding how light in this case can be "over done"

cackhyena

Yes I've just been playing through rather than stress testing, no doubt everyone will be at it when the retail promo's go out. There also a lot of comparisons with other driving games which is inevitable, but ultimately meaningless as they all cater for a different audience, and that's why I try to cover and enjoy all aspects of automotive gaming, while its great to see the improved exposure for the genre this year.
Appreciate the coverage. XB1 video coming soonish?

Megasoum

Banned

Keep up the great work sir. As always, you're doing an amazing job.

SkylineRKR

So CARS has Spa, Nurburgring, Mount Panorama and 60fps. With the thrills of Shift but the bullshit left out.

Can't wait.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I mean...if its striving for realism, and that's the position of the sun...that's what its going to look like...

You can't turn off the sun in real life...I'm just not understanding how light in this case can be "over done"

uhhhh no. "god rays", as shown in that gameplay, only happen in real life under some situations.

Fox Mulder

I wonder how this will affect the forza franchise. they both seem to be very similar. i would ask how it would affect GT but those only come out like every 10 years. lol

I've loved Forza since the first one, but I'm excited for something fresh. Pcars and Horizon 2 must have only pushed T10 to make a better game, which is great for everyone. There's no way that F6 can release without weather and other things pcars is doing.

Regardless, it's a great year with pcars, a new f1, and Forza 6.

krioto

Can this just be picked and played, without any disadvantage for the driver -I mean, will I have to fiddle with settings to get the best out of the car, or can I just race? I don't have time anymore to spend ages configuring, etc.

Is it me or does this video look underwhelming?

I swear this game looked better before.
A lot of earlier footage of pCars making the rounds was from the PC builds - amazingly well crafted montages made on pretty powerful rigs. Now we're seeing the more tempered console stuff.

So CARS has Spa, Nurburgring, Mount Panorama and 60fps. With the thrills of Shift but the bullshit left out.

Can't wait.
Pretty much. The Shift games also had weird physics that never felt right, and I must have tried a million different settings trying to find the sweet spot. But main, that cockpit view and that audio. Great stuff.

Jal

This will definitely be one of the first games i pick up with a PS4, GT for me seemed to have lost any fun last gen.

Helznicht

Meeeh! ...... visually speaking... except for cars... after playing and seeing how lighting accurate and rendering quality Drive Club is able to achieve... I'm not that impressed...

Still looks good. Let see what Grand Turismo does next!

YouTube Compression sucks. Go to Gamersyde.com and download some 60 fps non-compressed vids. Looks much better, still not to DriveClub levels, but better than what this displays.

I stopped following the PC builds but has Ben Collins (some say he was formerly The Stig) been involved all the way through?

I remember enjoying reading his handling notes and the dev feedback with each build.

Meh. Screen tearing? Variable frame rate? I won't be picking this one up unfortunately. Driveclub runs like a dream no matter what's on the screen. I only brought up driveclub because it's PCar's biggest competition on the PS4.

Also, PCars doesn't look anywhere near as good as Driveclub. Even in the rain.

Noobcraft

Meh. Screen tearing? Variable frame rate? I won't be picking this one up unfortunately. Driveclub runs like a dream no matter what's on the screen. I only brought up driveclub because it's PCar's biggest competition on the PS4.

You dream at 30 fps?

I've got Driveclub. I've got the season pass. I've got a lot of content of that game to go through. I don't need this.

But...hnnnnnnnng.

I've got Driveclub. I've got the season pass. I've got a lot of content of that game to go through. I don't need this.

But...hnnnnnnnng.
The two games are really in entirely different genres and it's hard to compare even a single aspect of both together. They're almost completely the compliment to one another with very little overlap. Your best bet might be to wait awhile on pCars and get it in the $40 range I'd expect by the end of the year. Take your time and get the platinum on DC. Feels very rewarding from a game that's surprisingly challenging. Also worth noting that pCars is set for Morpheus support so you could wait for a bit more news on that as well.

kyser73

This will be a welcome partner for DC.

Really looking forward to driving the G40s around Donnington too - I've driven a G15 around it IRL so it'll be an interesting comparison to be able to make.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just realised - there was no night racing in that video. How afraid should we be?

Very. Especially when night fog or rain arrives. :D

DC is 1st party game, had unlimited budget, probably larger team, runs at 30fps and had disastrous online experience at launch.

pCARS is multiplatform, scalable from lastgen to high-end PCs, created by a smaller team with much smaller budget, and it runs at 60fps.

Nobody forces you to play it, but you should probably need to check your priorities. Especially since you think that DC is "biggest competition" for pCARS on the PS4. Those games are not oriented to serve same driving fans.

Revson

Really looking forward to the Xbox One version.

There are quite a few competitive Forza players ready to make the switch if the game turns out to be as great as it seems.

Forza 5 was absolutely terrible.

nib95

Banned
As much as I love DriveClub, I can't wait for this game. Had it pre ordered for ages. There's too much going on right now gaming wise though. Too many awesome games, not enough time.

Makes a genuine difference in spotting when someone's hit the brakes in front of you just because they actually stand out!

Alan's video inspired me to try the 78 Lotus at Cadwell and that really is a good combo. Cadwell is not a track I particularly get on with (its very technical) but that car seems perfect with it.

As much as I love DriveClub, I can't wait for this game. Had it pre ordered for ages. There's too much going on right now gaming wise though. Too many awesome games, not enough time.

Similar situation, would love this game, but unsure when I would get to play it!

Mascot

Much appreciated! If possible it'd be great to see a couple of laps with accelerated ToD, starting in the daylight and ending full night just to see headlights coming on, how the track furniture, pits, billboards etc get illuminated etc.

Is this build noticable improved from the February version? After the recent DF mix-up I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about any differences you spotted, especially with SMS's claims in mind.

Helznicht

Y2FAPwS.gif

Gonna be so immersive, cant come soon enough.

GHG

Gold Member
Really looking forward to the Xbox One version.

There are quite a few competitive Forza players ready to make the switch if the game turns out to be as great as it seems.

Forza 5 was absolutely terrible.

So glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. The career mode was beyond shit. 2 lap races, start from the back of the grid with no qualifying. Wtf were they thinking?

I'm not sure whether I'll get this on the PC or ps4 though. I just want the version with the most vibrant GAF community.

danowat

Banned
It does look nice, arguably the best looking racing game yet, BUT.........

For me at least, it will all hinge on other parts, firstly the physics, that is key, if they get that down, then I'm golden.

Secondly, AI, and from what I've seen, I am a little worried.

bender

What time is it?
Looks great! Is there a roster of cars available anywhere? Crossing my fingers for Mini Coopers as I'd love to have makeshift cat and mouse matches on Nürburgring.

Lego Boss

Pre-order cancelled.

Joking. Thus looks mint. What I really liked was the fact that he was racing with the controller and it looked like he was managing OK.

I'm not sure that my wife will let me have wheel . . .

The last one I had I played Sega Rally on 360 and I was ripping the wheel all over the place. I woke up in the middle of the night with pains in my chest and I though I was having a heart attack (actually thought I was dying at 35), turned out I'd torn my cartilage from wrenching the wheel all over the place.

Garibaldi

It's damn annoying my G27 won't work with this on the PS4. I've got that hooked up to a perfectly good stand but the damn thing won't be supported. PC it is then. But I'm afraid my PC isn't what it used to be.

Top Bottom