• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VVV coverage of near final PS4 version of ProjectCARS

elfinke

I'm sure I read this somewhere, and I think it was to do with Project CARS, but I'll be buggered if I can find it now.

Is anything locked behind progression-based gates in Project CARS, or is everything unlocked from the get-go, so you can just get busy racing the cars on the tracks as you wish? I mean, if I ended up grabbing this, I'm just going to set up the biggest car field I can Mt Panorama and that'll be that, My Project Panorama Simulator.

driver116

I'm sure I read this somewhere, and I think it was to do with Project CARS, but I'll be buggered if I can find it now.

Is anything locked behind progression-based gates in Project CARS, or is everything unlocked from the get-go, so you can just get busy racing the cars on the tracks as you wish? I mean, if I ended up grabbing this, I'm just going to set up the biggest car field I can Mt Panorama and that'll be that, My Project Panorama Simulator.

The latter.

bombshell

This video explains the structure of the career mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tby49yV4pOk

-Amon-

Looks competent, but far from outstanding.

We must remember than being Project Cars a sim, there is much more going on under the hood, when compared with other racing games that set the standard in graphics on Ps4.

I was expecting something in that range. And i fully expect slowdowns during wet racing and night racing, expecially in traffic.

JamboGT

Kart racing is the first step for any serious racer in real life, why not have it in game?

Also,

Really happy to see Cadwell in a game, such a good track for bike racing, cool to finally be able to try it out myself, see how much air I can get over the mountain :p

bsb6_11_0307.jpg

amar212

Kart racing is the first step for any serious racer in real life, why not have it in game?

Also,

Really happy to see Cadwell in a game, such a good track for bike racing, cool to finally be able to try it out myself, see how much air I can get over the mountain :p

bsb6_11_0307.jpg

Looks like Tourist Trophy 2 screenshot. Dat 2D foliage.

Sorc3r3r

Honestly looking at that footage makes me appreciate even more what PD did on the ps3, i loaded their game after a while and the fact that still holds well against next gen games is outstanding.
Btw, as racing fan this game is a must buy, a proper sim on ps4 is very welcome even more by these guys that seems very passionate on what they are doing.

Mascot

Well, the first...in a long time. GT3 and 4 had 60fps replays iirc.

Yeah, it's REALLY pissed me off for years that 60fps racers have jarring 30fps replays because of added effects and other such framerate-reducing shit. Always seemed like a dumb decision.

Yeah, it's REALLY pissed me off for years that 60fps racers have jarring 30fps replays because of added effects and other such framerate-reducing shit. Always seemed like a dumb decision.

Even GT PSP had 60fps replays.. Looks like their priorities have changed at PD.

Lego Boss

Is there anything on the way pits work in race?

Is it contingent on discipline (refuelling in TCs/tyre changes in formulas etc)?

I'm getting to Hype Factor Nine now.

DryvBy

I feel like I already have too many driving games, but I honestly don't think I can resist this. The game looks incredible in terms of features and scope.

Too many? Am I missing any from this list:

-Forza
-Project CARS
-Driveclub
-The Crew
-F1 2015
-Ride

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was thinking to wait until E3 to see if Sony announce anything about GT. But tbh this might be a breath of fresh air for consoles. If this is good to play then I'm no longer dependent on PD for a decent racing/sim game and thats good.

Noobcraft

Ya the karting was loads of fun in GT5 especially with catchup on was a laugh & a half 😁
One of my favorite GT5 moments was winning a 12 person online race in karts on Special Stage Route 7. Everyone in the lobby finished the race within one second of the winner (me) and I won by like 3/1000s of a second lol. It was so intense.

DieH@rd

Banned
Looks competent, but far from outstanding.

We must remember than being Project Cars a sim, there is much more going on under the hood, when compared with other racing games that set the standard in graphics on Ps4.

I was expecting something in that range. And i fully expect slowdowns during wet racing and night racing, expecially in traffic.

Night racing is non issue, there is no performance difference between night and day.

edit - new video
Le Mans cockpit+helmet cam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFEac3-Y-LQ

martynzs

Neo Member
So sad how so many people only care about graphics this gen.

This game has potential to be incredible, the sheer range of car types and circuits is amazing offering true racing fans something that has never been available before.

My only small hang ups right now are how well the handling will translate across to pads (ill be playing on XB1) and whether or not I will miss the 'progression' aspect with the 'everything unlocked from the start' idea.

Day 1 purchase for me no doubt.

EBreda

Can't wait to drive the old open-wheel cars at Watkins Glen!

mywheelisready.gif

I'd like to join a Xbox One racing league if possible... Saladine? Are you coordinating something this time?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I can understand a replay, from replay cameras, putting too much stress on the engine and devs opting for locked 30 instead of continuous big drops, but I hated that even the race camera angles in replays were also cut. Rewatching a 60 fps race at 30 sucks. Really glad these replays are 60, even if they do drop a bit (presumably less of an issue watching from gameplay cams).

nikos

Looks really great, but I'm not getting any sense of speed from that helmet cam video. Especially when compared to Driveclub, which is interesting considering DC is 30 FPS and PC is 60. I only mention DC because it's the racing game I've been playing lately. Stil looking forward to this as much as I have been over the last couple of years.

Megasoum

Banned
Alright, having run cars on tracks before...I never "flexed"/"relaxed" my hands while going through a curve at high speed..lol.

Save that for straights.

Actually he's not relaxing/flexing, it'S because he's getting to the threshold where the animation would normally go hand over hand. It's a bit weird how they did it in this game and I agree that it doesn't really make much sense for that particular car but yeah... it's "normal".

Top Bottom