• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WaPo] NJ professor fired after defending Blacks-only party on Fox News

Dude Abides

Banned
Lisa Durden, an adjunct professor at Essex County College in Newark, was terminated after she appeared on Tucker Carlson's show and defended a memorial day party sponsored by a chapter of BLM that was advertised as being for black people only.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...icly-lynched-she-says/?utm_term=.a2a566ab4cf1

Link to college's statement.
(Grey type on black background?)

Essex County College President's Statement said:
While the adjunct who expressed her personal views in a very public setting was in no way claiming to represent the views and beliefs of the College, and does not represent the College, her employment with us and potential impact on students required our immediate review into what seemed to have become a very contentious and divisive issue.....In consideration of the College’s mission, and the impact that this matter has had on the College’s fulfillment of its mission, we cannot maintain an employment relationship with the adjunct. The College affirms its right to select employees who represent the institution appropriately and are aligned with our mission.

Firing her seems excessive to me. Even if you disagree that a black-only event isn't racist, she should be able to say that as her personal opinion without losing her job, even if she didn't have tenure.

Here's her twitter. Lots of retweets with YAAAAAAS.

Make me go on Tucker and fire me if old.

Slayven

Ugghhh it is always so disappointing to see minorities on fox. Hell getting that way for CNN

Oh she got too real with them

Kinyou

“Boo-hoo-hoo,” Lisa Durden, who is also an adjunct professor at Essex County College in Newark, said in the June 6 television appearance. “You white people are angry because you couldn’t use your ‘white privilege’ card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter’s all-black Memorial Day celebration.”

In the heated exchange, Carlson responded by calling her “hostile and separatist and crazy.”

“You’re demented actually,” he said. “You’re sick and what you’re saying is disgusting and if you were a Nazi I would say the same thing to you.”
What kind of "news show" is this even. If I want to hear these kind of exchanges I go on the internet.

Guevara

You know, you think you're going to go on Fox and totally charm then with your dazzling intellect. And then you say stuff like....

”Boo-hoo-hoo," Lisa Durden, who is also an adjunct professor at Essex County College in Newark, said in the June 6 television appearance. ”You white people are angry because you couldn't use your ‘white privilege' card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter's all-black Memorial Day celebration."

And then you get fired.

And then you say stuff like:
”I was publicly lynched," Durden said.​

What would really be smart is: don't go on Fox!

jwk94

You know, you think you're going to go on Fox and totally charm then with your dazzling intellect. And then you say stuff like....

“Boo-hoo-hoo,” Lisa Durden, who is also an adjunct professor at Essex County College in Newark, said in the June 6 television appearance. “You white people are angry because you couldn’t use your ‘white privilege’ card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter’s all-black Memorial Day celebration.”

And then you get fired.

“I was publicly lynched,” Durden said.​

Jesus.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Racism isn't a one-way street.

The professor should have thought more carefully before she spoke, especially on Fox News where everything was going to be doubly scrutinized.

Fuchsdh

Firing her seems excessive to me. Even if you disagree that a black-only event isn't racist, she should be able to say that as her personal opinion without losing her job, even if she didn't have tenure.

This is where the "freedom of speech isn't freedom of consequences" bit comes to bite people in the ass.

Why she went on Fox News in the first place is beyond me. The only winning move there is not to play.

“You’re demented actually,” he said. “You’re sick and what you’re saying is disgusting and if you were a Nazi I would say the same thing to you.”

Ok, Tucker.

Because being black is the same as being a Nazi...

Dude Abides

Banned

And then you get fired.

Tucker probably invited her specifically because he knew she'd be strident.

The college could be in a bit of legal trouble here, since it's a public employer.

An idiot on WaPo's FB comment to the article:

"She should have been fired... her comments were inflammatory and inappropriate. Freedom of speech comes with consequences and hers was the loss of her job. There are so many double standards out there - if this was a white professor saying on national news "all you black people....", everyone would be having strokes and demanding they be fired immediately."

kmfdmpig

Adjunct faculty are always very loosely employed at the best of times.

There is a mile wide divide between tenured faculty and visiting professors and then another between visiting professors and adjunct (who are, unfortunately, seen as an easily replaced commodity rather than valued employees).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

And then you get fired.

Hmm. Yeah. Like I agree with her on principle but her messaging is not helpful to her employer or her point.

Not surprising looking at her comments.
True

She isn't wrong.
True

And then you get fired.

Uh huh

Not a fan of people being fired for stuff they say outside of official work statements. It happens way too much nowadays, with anything anyone says on twitter, facebook, or a fucking youtube comment being used as evidence of why you are unqualified for your job.

No, shit you do at your JOB is what determines whether you continue employment or not. A comment you may make on NeoGAF about Game of Thrones isn't fucking relevant to your job.

Granted, appearing on a TV show is a little different and I concede people will see "professor at wherever" under your name, but I dunno didn't they always used to say stuff like OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE OF THE GUEST NOT OF etc? Why does that not apply anymore?

Y'all know this is what those debates are for right, they're made to push people into expressing themselves with little regard for how they say it just to fuck them over when they're done saying it.

Meanwhile this guy still has his job: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/05/mike_adams_unc_wilmington_conservative_professor_wins_academic_freedom_lawsuit.html

And many schools consistently cover up sexual harassment by faculty: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/sexual-harassment-university-california-faculty-target-students

But yeah, an adjunct instructor at a community college - basically, lowest of the low on the academic hierarchy ladder - yeah, she we can dispense with for saying some misguided shit in the wrong forum.

Valhelm

contribute something
What she said was a little edgy but it's completely inappropriate for this woman to be fired. Her opinion was not especially offensive and certainly doesn't compromise her ability to teach.

There's an ongoing war against academia and nobody is doing a thing about it.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't like anyone getting fired for their opinion as obnoxious as it may be, especially not professors who should have an authoritative stance in public discourse. But looking at her bio she has no real education and her adjunct "professorship" at a county college should probably also stimulate a reassessment of her role in public discourse. A celebrity blogger (which seems to be her major contribution) getting fired for being obnoxious is perhaps a bit more palatable.

Da-Kid

Not a fan of people being fired for stuff they say outside of official work statements. It happens way too much nowadays, with anything anyone says on twitter, facebook, or a fucking youtube comment being used as evidence of why you are unqualified for your job.

No, shit you do at your JOB is what determines whether you continue employment or not. A comment you may make on NeoGAF about Game of Thrones isn't fucking relevant to your job.

Granted, appearing on a TV show is a little different and I concede people will see "professor at wherever" under your name, but I dunno didn't they always used to say stuff like OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE OF THE GUEST NOT OF etc? Why does that not apply anymore?
Me either. I'm not sure how its even possible to be fired for something that has nothing to do with your job. Where in the contract you sign for a job does it say "The thoughts, opinions, and actions you express outside of work could result in termination." I can see that if you work publicly, like being a politician, police officer, etc.

It doesn't because none of that hinders your ability to do your job right in your work environment

Wereroku

Meanwhile this guy still has his job: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/05/mike_adams_unc_wilmington_conservative_professor_wins_academic_freedom_lawsuit.html

And many schools consistently cover up sexual harassment by faculty: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/sexual-harassment-university-california-faculty-target-students

But yeah, an adjunct instructor at a community college - basically, lowest of the low on the academic hierarchy ladder - yeah, she we can dispense with for saying some misguided shit in the wrong forum.

The protections given to Tenured vs Adjunct professors is insane.

vainya

Neo Member
I never like when my hometown is in the news and I especially don't like when the County College I once attended is.

Essex County college is a very political place. Our county government once forced the then president of the school to resign so that they could place a "friend" in the position. They probably wanted to fire her for other reasons and saw this as a reason to get rid of her.

Whompa02

Shit man...I'm incredibly liberal but she seemed a bit unhinged on that interview.

damn, Tucker wiped the floor with her

Don't award Tucker...he just sat there dumbfounded. Anyone could do that. She schooled herself.

Tucker is a prick, but what kind of brain-dead response was that on her part, and a professor too.

adjunct professor at a community college in a state that drastically cut its funding for schools, I'm not sure where she got her cred to be on Fox News. I'm guessing they put out a blanket "we'll take any black people willing to talk to us" request.

Deepwater

I don't like anyone getting fired for their opinion as obnoxious as it may be, especially not professors who should have an authoritative stance in public discourse. But looking at her bio she has no real education and her adjunct "professorship" at a county college should probably also stimulate a reassessment of her role in public discourse. A celebrity blogger (which seems to be her major contribution) getting fired for being obnoxious is perhaps a bit more palatable.

she didn't say anything wrong though

I thought her response was hilarious. Like Tucker gives a fuck about attending BLM events or protecting white folks who might want to attend. He just wants an angle where he can try to say a black person is racist by giving surface level hot takes.

oneHeero

While the adjunct who expressed her personal views in a very public setting was in no way claiming to represent the views and beliefs of the College, and does not represent the College, her employment with us and potential impact on students required our immediate review into what seemed to have become a very contentious and divisive issue.....In consideration of the College’s mission, and the impact that this matter has had on the College’s fulfillment of its mission, we cannot maintain an employment relationship with the adjunct. The College affirms its right to select employees who represent the institution appropriately and are aligned with our mission.

Sucks she got fired but I don't think the narrative that she was fired JUST cuz of what she said.

It's moreso the way she presented herself that brings negative attention to the situation. That than brings negative attention towards her employer even if she wasn't working. What kind of professor is she? She may not be working or representing the school on any official matter but to think she was selected from a random job sector is silly. Fox prolly wanted a professor. The adjunct professor should have the basic common sense to understand that even if you weren't asked because of your profession, and picked randomly for your input, you should be aware of the way you present yourself in a public setting, adapt.

The college basically felt this would bring negative attention on the basis that this person is presented as a professor and will be linked to them which could cause an issue for attending or apply students. If this situation blew/blows up than I can understand the logic, the more attention it gains the bigger impact it'll have in the day and age of social media.

There are better ways to get your point across people, regardless if what you're saying is right. And going on Fox how the fk would you not know the narrative they are aiming for? How do you not present your case in a way that they cant bait you when it's freakn Fox..

And her replies afterwards... come the heck on, it comes off like trying to use the attention for personal gain at this point. I expect a well written response not a "I was publicly lynched". Come the fk on.

jfkgoblue

Today, some of GAF discovers Tucker Carlson aka loudmouth alt-right asshole that baits liberals onto coming on his show because he is an idiot, but somehow they always stoop to his level. His entire shtick is that ridiculous laugh and drown people out to get them riled up. The sad thing is that it fucking works.

It's moreso the way she presented herself that brings negative attention to the situation. That than brings negative attention towards her employer even if she wasn't working.
"How she presents herself" are expressions that would likely fall under First Amendment protections that prevent the government - such as a public institution of higher learning - from punishing her for.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
She went on Tucker Carlson's show willingly?

Everyone thinks they are going to go into these interviews and own the interviewer. You are playing against a stacked deck of cards. The house has the advantage here. These people are trained and make a living out of lying all day.

Top Bottom