• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WaPo] NJ professor fired after defending Blacks-only party on Fox News

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While I think that it indeed is racist to exclude people from an event solely based on their ethnicity, I also think it is outrageous that she is thrown out over this. This has absolutely no bearing on her job as a professor and I think it is very important to guarantee the right of freedom of speech for people working in science in particular. They should immediately reinstate her (though I must stress, regarding her comment in the article: Yes, reverse racism does not exist, it is just plain racism).

boiled goose

good with gravy
I dont agree with the firing.

Personally I am against using race as a basis for membership of anything because there are no objective criteria to determine race

boiled goose

good with gravy
reverse racism do not exist, its just racism

she is a racist and got fired for it

It's not that simple.

Exclusions based on race in that context might be for prejudiced or non prejudiced reasons. And just prejudice does not necessarily equate to racism.

Methinks I would not agree with this professor on very much in this world, as I tend to think racially exclusionary behavior does little good for the marginalized, but firing her for this is ridiculous. Just call her a fool and move on.

Quixzlizx

Adjunct professors are the substitute teachers of academia (I mean job security-wise, not job description-wise).

So it's real easy to get into a "when keeping it real goes wrong" situation.

Edit: Also, I think labeling the event as a BLM event probably would've sent the same message without providing the delicious REVERSE RACISM bait.

Probably excessive to fire her, but it does really go against the schools interests. They need that state money. But she is low on the totem pole, not even tenure-track so I see why they did this.

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I mean that's pretty much exactly what tenured means.

Depends on the country. In Germany, a non-tenured assistant professor has the same job security as a tenured one, other than being limited term. However, it is almost impossible to get a permanent professorship at the university you have your non-tenured assistant professorship right away, so after at most six years it's bye-bye. Which is a big part, why academic careers are very uncomfortable in Germany (in addition to being highly competitive, lower pay than industry and large time commitments that are hard to combine with family planning).

Top Bottom