• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump recorded bragging about his fame letting him violate women in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
They themselves encourage you to check out sources, but they haven't steered me wrong yet.

I see. Still pouring through it. Mostly "false" or "mostly false." Except her campaign buying ads during Hurricane Matthew, lol.

Oh, and didn't the FBI director say that they had all the emails and none of them raised any red flags? I feel like I read that in the last few weeks.

FStop7

Banned
Not everything in the world is about white males. Women are over half the world's population. Maybe this is a big deal because bragging about sexual harassment is reprehensible on a very personal level to women. The suggestion that this is what dooms Trump because of white males comes across as pretty sexist in its own right. Does giving women credit for being capable of making their own decisions cause that much discomfort?

kevin1025

Banned
The problem with this tape is the precedent it would set. If Burnett or one of his employees leaked it, then his production company would never be trusted or would be hurt by this. No one would want to work with him, because of how it essentially damages a former employee, and makes the work environment unsafe to be everyone's version of "normal". Everyone would be in fear of hot mics and recordings.

As amazing as it would be to hear, this one is going to be on lockdown, I imagine.

The irony here is that a couple of seasons back on Survivor, another Burnett show, is that during the after show they used raw tape to call one of its contestants a sexist and confronted him live about it. So they can do it for their own benefit, but won't for the benefit of the country.

The problem with this tape is the precedent it would set. If Burnett or one of his employees leaked it, then his production company would never be trusted or would be hurt by this. No one would want to work with him, because of how it essentially damages a former employee, and makes the work environment unsafe to be everyone's version of "normal". Everyone would be in fear of hot mics and recordings.

As amazing as it would be to hear, this one is going to be on lockdown, I imagine.

I mean, I feel like people SHOULD be held accountable for saying deplorable shit. If people are worried so much, maybe don't say nigger on the set of a TV show.

JohnsonUT

I agree with this. Even if Burnett was pro-Hillary, I guarantee he would think long and hard about releasing this. Because, when push comes to shove, he is also pro-himself.

Oersted

The irony here is that a couple of seasons back on Survivor, another Burnett show, is that during the after show they used raw tape to call one of its contestants a sexist and confronted him live about it. So they can do it for their own benefit, but won't for the benefit of the country.

We are talking about the potential President and not some random employee

kevin1025

Banned
I mean, I feel like people SHOULD be held accountable for saying deplorable shit. If people are worried so much, maybe don't say nigger on the set of a TV show.

We are talking about the potential President and not some random employee

I definitely agree there. I want the tapes to be public, since it's relevant.

I'm only saying that for the sake of an entertainment company, I can see what the argument is to not release them.

pigeon

Banned

People should already be in fear of hot mics. This is actually a super basic television thing. The reason there aren't constantly leaks of backstage personalities saying terrible things is not because of a Hollywood wall of silence, it's because most people who work in the media know not to say anything hazardous near an open mic.

Doesn't Access Hollywood have more tapes themselves?

I haven't heard anything about access Hollywood, but here's a quote from that buzzfeed article regarding other tapes;

More than 20 former contestants, crew members, and editors told the Associated Press that Trump treated women on the show inappropriately, including talking about which contestants he would like to have sex with and rating them by breast size.

“If there was a break in the conversation, he would then look at one of the female cast members, saying ‘you’re looking kind of hot today, I love that dress on you,’ then he would turn to one of the male cast members and say ‘wouldn’t you sleep with her?’ and then everyone would laugh,” a former crew member, who spoke anonymously due to a non-disclosure agreement, told AP.“

There would be about 10 or 12 cameras rolling and getting that footage, which is why everybody was like, this guy just doesn't care".

kevin1025

Banned
People should already be in fear of hot mics. This is actually a super basic television thing. The reason there aren't constantly leaks of backstage personalities saying terrible things is not because of a Hollywood wall of silence, it's because most people who work in the media know not to say anything hazardous near an open mic.

That's also true. Hot mics and contracts are what keep things under lock and key, but just like any film set and TV production, there's always someone who will find a way to unearth things or leak.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Just saw a CBS Poll - 50% of those surveyed say the leaked video didn't change their opinion of Trump.

Seems like an oddly worded question, since it didn't change my opinion. I already knew he was a racist, homophobic, orange creeper. No videos will change my opinion of him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's depressing the shit out of me that even progressive folk are saying 'Wow, surprised this is the thing that broke him, it's just dirty words.'

People really don't get the sinister context of bragging about fame allowing you to get away with sexual assault? And don't connect it to the several times he's been accused of doing the very thing he's bragging about to women?
Personally I'm surprised this sticks to him, not because "it's just dirty words", but because it comes as absolutely no surprise that he would treat women that way.

We've seen and heard his repeated objectifying, misogynistic comments before.

And we know he's allied himself with Roger Ailes after he was fired as CEO of Fox News for being a serial sexual harasser/abuser. Clearly he thinks this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

So yeah, I'm surprised that people are surprised, essentially. And that it seems to stick, despite all the previous outrageous scandals not sticking whatsoever.

Eusis

Why is every single tweets shown on screen on CNN is always in a weird Aspect Ratio and all squished text?
Because CNN have been complete fucking idiots about aspect ratios for years. OH HEY LETS MAKE OUR INTERNET VIDEOS WIDESCREEN *stretches them all because they don't have a fucking clue that this is not what widescreen is about.*

kevin1025

Banned
Why is every single tweets shown on screen on CNN is always in a weird Aspect Ratio and all squished text?

It's tradition! I think someone in the crew crops it, throws it into imgur, and then hands it to the video team. They used to have it all nice and clean, the past week or so it's been like that. CNN has been having ridiculous problems with technical issues, not having video ready and all that for years. Just lately it's gotten significantly worse.

Oersted

Personally I'm surprised this sticks to him, not because "it's just dirty words", but because it comes as absolutely no surprise that he would treat women that way.

We've seen and heard his repeated objectifying, misogynistic comments before.

And we know he's allied himself with Roger Ailes after he was fired as CEO of Fox News for being a serial sexual harasser/abuser. Clearly he thinks this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

So yeah, I'm surprised that people are surprised, essentially. And that it seems to stick, despite all the previous outrageous scandals not sticking whatsoever.

This is sexism as subtext. Him bragging about getting away with violating women is not subtext. Its plain text.

It doesn't mean we're not capable of being disgusted by the likes of Donald Trump.

Of course. Apologies if that looked like my implication.

explodet

All in a day's work!

1312710.gif

rjinaz

Not everything in the world is about white males. Women are over half the world's population. Maybe this is a big deal because bragging about sexual harassment is reprehensible on a very personal level to women. The suggestion that this is what dooms Trump because of white males comes across as pretty sexist in its own right. Does giving women credit for being capable of making their own decisions cause that much discomfort?

I agree. The women on CNN are all pissed about this, you can see it for yourself. Ana is not White but she was so angry she flipped on a Trump surrogate and did not come back.

fester

Banned
Probably a part of the contract associated with recording the show. You can't have people constantly blackmailing and smear-campaigning each other and still get anything done, so you make a reasonable promise not to disseminate anything not recorded for purposes of airing during the production.

It's probably not particularly ethical to release the tapes, sadly.

If people with access to these tapes can't see the bigger picture and what's at stake here, their "ethics" aren't worth jack shit.

Maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't say racist, hateful things if they don't want other people hearing it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I agree. The women on CNN are all pissed about this, you can see it for yourself. Ana is not White but she was so angry she flipped on a Trump surrogate and did not come back.

The old dude in that video was going all like 'you will rue the day your daughter sees you in this video' to that blonde girl defending Trump. Never seen such commonplace fighting on CNN

rjinaz

Just saw a CBS Poll - 50% of those surveyed say the leaked video didn't change their opinion of Trump.

Seems like an oddly worded question, since it didn't change my opinion. I already knew he was a racist, homophobic, orange creeper. No videos will change my opinion of him.

Yep pointless question. I think everybody has an opinion on Trump at this point, so even people that think poorly of him would answer no to that question.

"Did it change your opinion on Trump"

"No, I still think he's a piece of shit like I always have".

rjinaz

The old dude in that video was going all like 'you will rue the day your daughter sees you in this video' to that blonde girl defending Trump. Never seen such commonplace fighting on CNN

ehehe it was wonderful. It was the moment I realized, yes this time this Trump scandal is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom