• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warren Spector: The world didn't need another Wolfenstein. Adolescent male fantasy.

Warren Spector isn't even a good game creator. The first few First person games that "he made" (Thief, Deus ex, etc.) had a very talented team behind them including people like Ken Levine (Bioshock dude) and he just rode on their talents.

Deus Ex:Invisible War, epic mickey, and epic mickey 2 were all terrible.

He's right the game will probably be a generic piece of crap, but after that absolute dogshit that was Epic Mickey 2 he should shut the hell up before he destroys what credibility he has left.

Azih

I agree with you that he redeemed himself, but Harvey's name is still on that turd for the rest of time. It doesn't go away just because he got his shit together.

But Spector went on a PR tour and hyped IW up like crazy before the release so he's just as stained as Harvey Smith, failed to redeem himself twice, and is now hanging back and talking shit from retirement.

mephixto

Banned
So for those saying no one has played the game why you think people can't already see how this is going to play out?

All straight FPS play the same. They're all dark and violent. They're all go from A to B, watch cut scene or maybe take part in a quick time event and then repeat. Maybe throw in some melee combat to "spice" things up along with some banter so you don't just hear gun fire the entire time. You kill wave after wave of enemies until you hit the invisible check point. Then stay out of combat a few seconds so health can regenerate.

What about the Riddick game was different that makes people think those assuming the above are wrong and shouldn't voice any opinions now?

Plataformers, FPS, TPS, Survival Horror, Puzzle, Adventure. All the games fall in category all games do the basic of his genre. We should call all games generic then.

marrec

Banned
Guys, the fact that he made a bad game doesn't make his opinion wrong.

The fact that the game he's talking about has almost zero media makes him wrong.

Well, he's right about the trailer at least...

Herla

A lot of people give Warren a bad rep for Epic Mickey and forgetting his real failure. Case and point :

To be fair, both him and Harvey Smith admitted IW was bad (I'll never forget that "we fucked up").
The same didn't happen with Epic Mickey. Didn't he defend the horrible camera with something akin to "people don't get it" ?

NotLiquid

His own quality of output aside I can't say I disagree with him. I really don't know why a new Wolfenstein exists, the last one was a forgettable disaster.

It's a bummer that if Warren Spector makes a point about something, the thread has to be 80% drive-by posts about Epic Mickey instead.

He complains about the hurt feewings of the people who worked hard on Epic Mickey, despite doing the same level of shitting on Wolfenstein himself. As Jim Sterling rightly points out, he's a hypocrite, and should be called out as such.

If he wanted more good, original game ideas, then he should lead by example by making... good and original games, which he obviously hasn't been doing judging by the 'venom' in critics posts. Until he does that, taking to the social media pulpit has little value, and the 'generic' action games market can keep on chugging along happily because it is the one that's already proved itself to work. Sad? Maybe. True? Yes.

I'm glad more people are criticizing the adolescent mainstream. Warren is making an observation about the industry as a whole, not specifically targeting Wolfenstein. As more and more gamers reach middle and older age, I think there will be more clamor for games that target their demographic.

And once again, plenty of NeoGAF members seem unable to divorce a single developers projects with his opinion. There are hundreds of people involved in making a single mainstream game nowadays, not just Warren.

I didn't ask for another Wolfenstein game, post Spear of Destiny, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a wonderful game, and there was nothing adolescent about WolfMP or WolfET. Yeah, the single player was crap, but it was still a valid and ground breaking game in other areas.

So lets give this one a chance eh? Criticizing the mainstream is kind of pointless. Picking this game to do it with is even more bizarre.

-Eddman-

Exactly when and why the game industry became filled with white knights trying to end the "adolescent male power fantasies"? This and the Dragon's Crown issue are pathetic. Games must remain open to every idea. The fact game creators are not interested in deep, mature storylines with real drama right now, doesn't mean mediocre devs suffering from midlife crisis should encourage a "crusade" against the teenage market. I don't even like military FPS but this man is talking nonsense.

You can say a lot of things about Nintendo's mistakes, but their stance about this is remarkable. They don't throw shit at other developers or try to give moral lessons and instead release GOOD family friendly games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know you're trying to give yourself an out with the 'alternate history' thing, but come on. Really?
Alternate history stuff with Nazis has always fascinated me, particularly stuff that focuses on the Occult. Standard WWII stuff is boring as hell but with the advanced weaponry, mechs, and supernatural this Wolfenstein has some potential in its concept. It reminds me of Resistance with Nazis.

Yes it does. Spector got money to try to make a good, really good, licensed game and he failed twice.

If he wants less samey projects maybe he should have tried not to make two shit games when he got the chance.

I think it's hilarious you suggest he didn't try to make good games. He tried and failed, it happens. Maybe it means he should stop trying. But it doesn't mean he doesn't know what makes worthwhile games.

No. Ideas and "tries" are worthless. Only quality of the end result matters.

And I'd argue there's more worth to flawed games that try to make something new work than perfect imitations with a new skin.

Innovation doesn't mean a goddamn thing if it's not any good. I'll take a quality shooter about shooting Nazis than an "innovative" game built on not-fun game mechanics any day of the week.

It's this sort of logic that's given us games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3.

Warren sounds more and more like an old geaser screaming at birds in the sky... Yet, the news of a new installment in the Wolfenstein franchise doesn't rock my world at all so he may not be completely wrong with his rant. ***Yawn...***

marrec

Banned
Pretty much, yeah! Obviously there's no excuses for making it bad, but as the grandfather of the genre I feel no shame in seeing it being a bit tropey.

The game being venerable in it's genre will not excuse it if he's mediocre and boring. A lot of FPS games turn out to be mediocre so Warren lashed out at the newest target is all.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The only problem I have with shooters is how many military shooters there are these days. I love FPS, it's my favourite genre and I never tire of that style, but even I'd agree there needs to be more variety in shooters made these days. It's why I'm really looking forward to the Rise Of The Triad remake, simply because it's going for the silliness of the original game with jump pads and all etc. However I find the constant hate a bit silly, even towards games like COD. There's so much choice these days I play as many non shooter games as I do FPS!

The one thing that guts me is that Spector was given the opportunity to make a great game based on a Disney property and he fucked it up twice. I'm genuinely gutted at that, not in a 'Fuck you! Look at what you made asshole!' but I grew up with Castle Of Illusion, World Of Illusion etc and I would looooooooove a great new Mickey Mouse game. It might also make Disney a bit more cautious in the future though their properties are so strong hopefully it won't stop them from trying.

Marcel

But Spector went on a PR tour and hyped IW up like crazy before the release so he's just as stained as Harvey Smith, failed to redeem himself twice, and is now hanging back and talking shit from retirement.

Earlier I agreed with everyone that when you make trash, you can't talk trash. Warren should have not said anything at all as Epic Mickey is still the albatross around his neck.

Man the gaming market on consoles is and has been flooding for a while with adolescent male power fantasies.

For people who live for those games they can't see a problem at all.

The game being venerable in it's genre will not excuse it if he's mediocre and boring. A lot of FPS games turn out to be mediocre so Warren lashed out at the newest target is all.

That's what I just said- "there's no excuse for it being bad". But it can have a trailer with a dude wielding twin shotguns in front of a Nazi death robot, because it's Wolfenstein.

Petrae

What a whiner. Regardless of what he's done in his past, Spector != the world. Still stung because the world proved that it didn't need a second Epic Mickey game, he presumes that he can tell us what else the world doesn't need.

Do we need more Mario games? Do we need more Halo games? Do we need more Assassin's Creed games? It's not a question of need. It's up to publishers to convince us of what we want or what we don't want.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
The world didn't need Epic Mickey, either

ibjS3w1khh9RbB.gif

marrec

Banned
The majority of creations in any art field are mediocre.

This is beside the point though isn't it? Transformers (the movies) is worse than mediocre and earns hundreds of millions of dollars and is lambasted from every side for good reason.

People relying on established content tropes to push out mediocre product that will sell just well enough for a profit are poisonous to creative industries... but also necessary.

Kusagari

I think it's hilarious you suggest he didn't try to make good games. He tried and failed, it happens. Maybe it means he should stop trying. But it doesn't mean he doesn't know what makes worthwhile games.

The problem there is you thinking Spector gets to decide what is worthwhile. Spector thinks another FPS, and we have no idea how good or unique the new Wolfenstein might be, isn't worthwhile. Others will disagree.

His opinion isn't law.

And frankly considering he continues to defend Epic Mickey, I don't much trust his opinion on what IS worthwhile.

People need to get over Warren Spector. I respect his opinion. A person can still have valid opinions on video games after making video games that bombed. That is a possibility.

marrec

Banned
That's what I just said- "there's no excuse for it being bad". But it can have a trailer with a dude wielding twin shotguns in front of a Nazi death robot, because it's Wolfenstein.

There is no excuse for that terrible trailer!

Euuuugh.

People need to get over Warren Spector. I respect his opinion. A person can still have valid opinions on video games after making video games that bombed. That is a possibility.

You should have seen the thread earlier when people were agreeing with Peter Molyneux because he was trashing Microsoft.

Warren only has to shit on Xbox and there will be plenty of people agreeing with him.

MYE

Warren Spector isn't even a good game creator. The first few First person games that "he made" (Thief, Deus ex, etc.) had a very talented team behind them including people like Ken Levine (Bioshock dude) and he just rode on their talents.

Deus Ex:Invisible War, epic mickey, and epic mickey 2 were all terrible.

Your posts are always a laugh

The problem there is you thinking Spector gets to decide what is worthwhile. Spector thinks another FPS, and we have no idea how good or unique the new Wolfenstein might be, isn't worthwhile. Others will disagree.

His opinion isn't law.

I never said as much. He has an opinion that people can agree and disagree with. But my point is that his opinion isn't invalidated by his failure to make his more recent games as fun as they are interesting.

Then your argument would be wrong.

K, enjoy the sea of CoD in 2020.

Petrae

People have as much freedom to disagree with Spector as you have in agreeing with him.

Personally, I see his post-Epic Mickey reactions and whining as sour grapes because consumers preferred games with more violent content to his own creations. Now he's setting about to tell us what we need and don't need.

Spector's track record should have no bearing on his statement. The problem with it is that it's way too early to make that kind of judgment about the game.

Top Bottom