• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the Code Hero Kickstarter a scam? They claim it's not! But Tactical Corsets!!!

Wow, I remember someone in the press mentioned this on a podcast and I meant to donate to it because it sounded really cool, and then basically laughed out loud when I saw their KS page. Can't remember for certain but I want to say it was Anthony Gallegos on the GFW Radio reunion that came out on Geekbox. Maybe he'll cover the lawsuit.

Vlodril

I haven't seen anyone here at least that said that the money you give is guaranteed or anything. As much as i have seen at least everyone realised there is risk involved and are ok with it. If not more fool they.

Aaron

Was it obvious? How so?

Real question.

How do you tell what's a scam and what isn't on Kickstarter?
Badly written where every sentence ends like this! And computer graphics from the 80s. Also pointing out other successful kickstarters to leach some success. Also backed by a nobody who has done nothing but make up a company name. How isn't it obvious?

They dont have a case afaik. Ks is an investment/donation.

You better hope they have a case.

Because if this scam slides through, it will ruin the whole system...essentially proving that developers DON'T need to be held accountable for their promises.

And if that happens, who knows how many scams will hit the Kickstarter market.

Famassu

Lots of us were calling this when the craze started, but all the Kickstarter defenders said that this would never happen because of protections in place.
Sorry, but that's BS. No one said this could never happen. We said that if you choose your Kickstarter projects carefully, the chances of this happening are low.

As much as silly people like you want it, this simply doesn't negate Kickstarter as a viable solution for funding indie games. There are already examples of finished Kickstarters that proved out to be well worthwhile of a pledge.

ultron87

They dont have a case afaik. Ks is an investment/donation.

No it isn't. At least by the current wording on the site.

http://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use?ref=footer

Kickstarter is a platform where Project Creators run campaigns to fund creative projects by offering rewards to raise money from Backers. By creating a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter, you as the Project Creator are offering the public the opportunity to enter into a contract with you. By backing a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter, you as the Backer accept that offer and the contract between Backer and Project Creator is formed. Kickstarter is not a party to that agreement between the Backer and Project Creator. All dealings are solely between Users.

• Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.
  • Project Creators may cancel or refund a Backer’s pledge at any time and for any reason, and if they do so, are not required to fulfill the reward.

It is pretty much that you have a contract, but Kickstarter itself won't do anything to help you enforce it. It seems to me that should be plenty for a case.

iammeiam

Shady Kickstarters are rightly as surprising as the existence of bootlegs on eBay masquerading as the real thing. If you're not careful, you're going to get screwed. Even being careful, you might get screwed. This doesn't mean eBay as a concept is awful, and it doesn't mean Kickstarter as a concept is bad. The high-profile failures were inevitable; they're a shame but not proof that everyone who thinks Kickstarters are a good thing is a sucker.

Oppo

Kickstarter at no point calls it donations. The terms of service expressly say that the money you pledge is a guarantee of receiving the promised rewards or money back. When you pledge you are entering into a contract between you and the creator.

I thought the actual button used to say DONATE. Now it says "back this project". Maybe the language changed at some point. I'm not certain you are correct about the contract part.

How sure are they that he has taken the money and spend it unwisely. If he had to run/disappear, he wouldn't be using his Youtube account.

It is, however, shady that there is no update in 2 months. Also, he was going to release an update soon and he didn't.

Regardless, aren't people "scared" that spending all the money is going to get them no recognition or job in the future whatsoever? Whoever googles him will find out what he did.

Wiz

Pretty sure everyone saw this coming, not for this particular KS, but in general. There is a huge risk that's taken each time you pledge money, because damn near all of these projects are not 100% set in stone.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lots of us were calling this when the craze started, but all the Kickstarter defenders said that this would never happen because of protections in place.

I don't remember anyone saying anything of the sorts, so I would love to see you back your post up with some examples.

VampireKitten

Neo Member
Man that sucks, I hope the Backers get him good. I saw that someone mentioned that they hope this model fails... I kind of don't want it to. We've seen so much good come from Kickstarter (Double Fine for example) and I feel like this is a great direction for Indie games. Hell, it's a great direction for larger titles because of the way publishers are nowadays, but there is always bound to be a few bad apples.

volpone

Banned
It'll be interesting to see whether regulars in the Tropes Vs. Women thread like GrizzNKev get all up in arms over this kickstarter and others like it.

Lothars

on what basis do you believe Ouya will fail to deliver?
I think they will deliver but it will be a year or more later than it was scheduled to be, which is why I stopped backing them.

I have backed 19 projects this year and I have got items from 5 of them and I expect another 3 of them to send me the items in another couple months, the rest I don't expect till next year or so but I am not worried.

I know what to expect from kickstarter and If it's somthing I am wary of them I will not back it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't remember anyone saying anything of the sorts, so I would love to see you back your post up with some examples.

I'm particularly interested in these "protections", as Kickstarter itself has made no secret of the fact there are none. "Lost your money? That sucks, but it's something you'll have to chase up yourself" has always been the more-or-less official stance.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence that the creator has abandoned the project, all we have are hearsay from backers. Sure it's a smoking gun that the creator hasn't been updating the backers but for all we know he could have been in an accident and is in a coma.

His last facebook entry is December 3rd.

I think they will deliver but it will be a year or more later than it was scheduled to be, which is why I stopped backing them.

I have backed 19 projects this year and I have got items from 5 of them and I expect another 3 of them to send me the items in another couple months, the rest I don't expect till next year or so but I am not worried.

I know what to expect from kickstarter and If it's somthing I am wary of them I will not back it.

They already shipped devkits on time. That's "deliver" to me.

When they talk about how he spent money foolishly, what do they mean? Did he actively con or did he invest it or something?

Not trying to defend him, just curious.

kodt

Banned
Sorry, but that's BS. No one said this could never happen. We said that if you choose your Kickstarter projects carefully, the chances of this happening are low.

As much as silly people like you want it, this simply doesn't negate Kickstarter as a viable solution for funding indie games.

And here we go with calling me a KS hater.

I have pledged to a few projects on Kickstarter. But they were projects headed by people with experience and some credentials.

People always turn this into a "You hate all Kickstarters" or "You Love all Kickstarters" battle. That's not the point, When Kickstarter became popular many of us were pointing out the high possibility of scams and this seemed to offend people. Many people quoted a section from the KS TOS stating that projects must refund donors if they don't deliver. As if this was some sort of protection. My post was only meant to highlight that this is indeed happening, and it is happening on projects that were not necessarily obvious scams.

My use of the words "never happen" was somewhat facetious, but it meant to represent the general attitude of some of the the defenders.

VVIS

Neo Member
I paid $13.37 for the beta, and played it. I got 13 bucks worth of entertainment and education out of it.

If he's a scammer, he's the worst kind. Code Hero was about teaching the kids. Little needy urban achievers.

Aaron

Ouya will be fine. It won't be the miracle box some people expect, but it'll deliver. There are actual people of note putting their reputations on the line for it. I think to back a kickstarter, either someone with a worthwhile reputation is putting it on the line, or it's a smaller group that's already produced a workable demo and aren't asking for much.

When they talk about how he spent money foolishly, what do they mean? Did he actively con or did he invest it or something?

Not trying to defend him, just curious.

From what I've seen and read:

1. There was suppose to be an update. They didn't provide it.
2. It's been two + months since they communicated with anyone.
3. Alex is still active on Youtube, Reddit and more; posting comments and watching videos. He hasn't "ditched" as people state, but he is not responding to anyone yet.

ferr

I plan on getting a kickstarter going in the next couple of months so I'm hoping KS can keep a decent reputation between now and then. I promise not to buy a ferrari with the money.

Fox Mulder

I'm shocked there hasn't been an outright scam case yet, but how are they determining he used the money recklessly?

What if you genuinely set out to fulfill the promises, but end up using the money and can't deliver anything?

epmode

I plan on getting a kickstarter going in the next couple of months so I'm hoping KS can keep a decent reputation between now and then.
Kickstarter will be fine. Crowdfunding is too perfect for videogames to be killed by the occasional scam.

Now if something like Star Citizen takes the money and runs, the naysayers would have a point.

Orayn

Kickstarter will be fine. Crowdfunding is too perfect for videogames to be killed by the occasional scam.

Pretty much. The rate of not getting a game from a project you funded will almost certainly be lower than the rate of people buying retail games that they wind up hating. No, those two activities are not exactly equivalent, but they both entail risks and are effectively a waste of money.

Lol swag, this model will soon fail.

You'd better warn Feep about how Kickstarter's collapse will surely ripple backwards in time and cancel out every copy of Sequence that's been sold. Also, PM Stump and tell him that all the neat board games he got from KS are going to disappear like Cinderella's slippers.

Badly written where every sentence ends like this! And computer graphics from the 80s. Also pointing out other successful kickstarters to leach some success. Also backed by a nobody who has done nothing but make up a company name. How isn't it obvious?
MAYBE the non-bolded could be a hint to signs of a scam but the bolded is totally unfair to the very people that Kickstarter was created for.

Are the only people who deserve to be funded, people who are so well known and successful that they don't really need funding?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm shocked there hasn't been an outright scam case yet, but how are they determining he used the money recklessly?

What if you genuinely set out to fulfill the promises, but end up using the money and can't deliver anything?

There has:

This isn't the first instance of a Kickstarter grab-and-run: this one ended 18 months ago with $343k and backers haven't received anything at all -- not even reward tier incentives, let alone the actual glasses. Some unsatisfied backers even started a blog/forum.

Ashodin

MAYBE the non bolded could be a hint but the bolded is totally unfair to the very people that Kickstarter was created for. Are the only people who deserve to be funded people who are so well known and successful that they don't really need funding?

This. When I start a kickstarter for my game, do I not get the chance to earn money for funding the game by showing off how much effort I put into it, instead of what big business company I'm with?

domlolz

Banned
on what basis do you believe Ouya will fail to deliver?

I mean if they do manage to release on time that's just the start of the problem. A console with a small 50,000 userbase, fragmenting android even more, piracy is probably gonna be rife...I'm just not sure who is going to bother with it at all

The fact that none of the people behind this particular project are getting in touch with the backers is leading people to draw their own conclusions. If a person honestly uses the money for project and reward expenses, there should be some kind of documentation to support that (receipts etc) and they should be swift in communicating about issues.

The Haunts kickstarter ran into problems, and the guy behind it made an update and said he'd still work on completing the game, but anyone who didn't want to be in for the long haul could request a refund. That's one way of appropriately handling the situation, and as I recall there wasn't a load of controversy when that happened. I don't think people will threaten to sue if they see an effort to make the situation right is being made.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I mean if they do manage to release on time that's just the start of the problem. A console with a small 50,000 userbase, fragmenting android even more, piracy is probably gonna be rife...I'm just not sure who is going to bother with it at all

Are Ouya promising a certain level of developer support and immunity to piracy? I'd be surprised if they are.

Ouya may well 'fail' as a product without actually failing on their KS commitments.

There are no protections in place and most Kickstarter backers realize things like this can happen.

Top Bottom