• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs - Aisha Tyler Trailer (director promises the graphics aren't this bad)

Deraj

What the hell does this even mean?

I think Morin means that when you want to create a trailer in their game engine, you have to tick certain boxes to make sure all of the created assets / fx are included in that render.. in this case, somebody not familiar with the engine ticked [check] the wrong boxes and so the render shows a stripped down version and not how the game should really look..

rvy

Banned
Jeeez does every conversation about this game have to be about its graphics???

It's not like Ubi makes games with... good gameplay, you know.
Watch_Dogs is interesting because it's open-world on next-gen, people already know it will be filled with jank and busywork (being Ubisoft and all), so they might as well talk about the only impressive thing that this game has ever had, which is the graphics.

Instead of collecting meaningless feathers, you will hack meaningless computer terminals.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. The Disrupt engine, like any modern engine, will undoubtedly support advanced depth of field, tessellation, motion blur and an advanced AA solution. Turn all these options up, and there's every reason to think that it'll bring even a 680 to its knees.

Note that this isn't to suggest that the IQ gains would justify the attendant performance loss but c'mon, the Ubisoft engine team isn't going to build a new engine that isn't fully extensible.
Not exactly what I mean, for example Watchdog 2 could have a big jump in graphics and run perfectly on PS4/Xbone and the 680.
What I mean which I think I mentioned is there are better looking nextgen games then what was shown in Watchdogs 2012 reveal which a 680 can run too
But to hear ( nextgen versions won't look like that. Etc or gonna be downgrade for nextgen consoles) is a "here we go" moment.

ibx7x63X6Vgqd1.gif

If this is just really Next Gen running the game vs. Last Gen. I'd be greatly impressed, I really thought they'd be similar minus a few extra flourishes.

If this just how the game looks now near its end of development, then I think I may cancel my preorder of it. We'll see!

But it could honestly be, just the loss of wind dynamics, particle simulation and it seems ALL the lighting is baked at night minus dynamic character lighting -- as well as poorer composition of the shot, with less details in that area. Could be the same...

DrBo42

What the FUCK is this? There's like 2 seconds of new footage in here amidst the barrage of useless E3 "best of" shit.

What the hell are you doing, Ubi?

"Woah, who the fuck released this Aisha Tyler trailer?! The internet is losing their minds at how awful the game looks now! Quick, collect a list of all the awards received by media outlets at E3 and throw that in a trailer with plenty of rain so people are reassured!"

I'm thinking it's something like that.

"Woah, who the fuck released this Aisha Tyler trailer?! The internet is losing their minds at how awful the game looks now! Quick, collect a list of all the awards received by media outlets at E3 and throw that in a trailer with plenty of rain so people are reassured!"

I'm thinking it's something like that.

Pretty much. Even with the rain segments this new trailer is not up to the 2012 trailers, specially the wind part.

I am still disappointed.

StevieP

Banned
If the game doesn't look like the trailer that was originally release why not redo it and explain in the new trailer the previous trailer was a mistake. Putting this trailer out makes it look like they are hiding something.

You don't explain to console users that you bullshit them with an i7 and a GTX 680, and have had to downgrade multiple aspects since the initial reveal. They probably wouldn't buy your game. Mystery works better.

I find it funny how people are complaining about game budgets escalating and that development should keep them in check, yet this thread has everyone complaining about graphics which is one of the primary reasons budgets are growing....

I find it funny how people are complaining about game budgets escalating and that development should keep them in check, yet this thread has everyone complaining about graphics which is one of the primary reasons budgets are growing....

If Watch_Dogs had been presented with the graphics shown in that trailer up front, people might not have been pleased, but you wouldn't see a backlash. If the final product ends up closer to this terrible looking "aisha" trailer, rather than the E3 demo, everyone would have reason to believe they'd been lied to all along about what to expect from the game.

If Ubi doesn't have the budget to make Watch_Dogs look good, or had made the decision to scale back graphics to meet a smaller sales expectation, there would be nothing wrong with that. The problem is advertising the game as something it is not. This is about bullshot and "target renders" not meeting with the reality of the product. It has nothing to do with game budgets.

DR2K

Banned

They're complaining that the game was falsely advertised. Both the recent trailer and the trailer in the OP look nothing like what was shown in 2012.

SJRB

Gold Member

This makes zero sense, but whatever. This thread is about the trailer in the OP compared to the reveal from last year's E3.

Development budgets are irrelevant to this discussion.

I think Morin means that when you want to create a trailer in their game engine, you have to tick certain boxes to make sure all of the created assets / fx are included in that render.. in this case, somebody not familiar with the engine ticked [check] the wrong boxes and so the render shows a stripped down version and not how the game should really look..

Oh man. If this is what really happened then I wouldnt want to be that guy who did the trailer.

This makes zero sense, but whatever. This thread is about the trailer in the OP compared to the reveal from last year's E3.

Development budgets are irrelevant to this discussion.

They're relevant in the sense that people in general wonder why games cost so much and yet there's a clear demand of the importance of graphics. It's a side point to the complaining that people should stop and wonder why budgets are higher. The complaining in this thread one of the reasons for it.

watchdog

If Watch_Dogs had been presented with the graphics shown in that trailer up front, people might not have been pleased, but you wouldn't see a backlash. If the final product ends up closer to this terrible looking "aisha" trailer, rather than the E3 demo, everyone would have reason to believe they'd been lied to all along about what to expect from the game.

If Ubi doesn't have the budget to make Watch_Dogs look good, or had made the decision to scale back graphics to meet a smaller sales expectation, there would be nothing wrong with that. The problem is advertising the game as something it is not. This is about bullshot and "target renders" not meeting with the reality of the product. It has nothing to do with game budgets.

But, to be fair, the developers didn't have access to final next gen hardware when they revealed Watch_Dogs. They were probably going off of educated guesses on where next gen hardware was going. So, in my opinion, it's completely acceptable if the look of the game has changed because of changing hardware specs.

Also, in my opinion, Ubisoft is not really advertising the game as something it is not. It's not like Ubisoft is still using footage from the reveal to sell their game. They've been showing the game in it's current state since the reveal. I do, however, agree with you on the screenshots that have been released. They are at a higher res than many of us will experience and have the AF and AA jacked up to the max. Though perhaps one hell of a beefy PC could get the same results at single digit frame rates. :p

Top Bottom