• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Mogwai

I give up on this game. I can't take the bad performance on PC.

I'm running a 3570k, 8GB RAM,GTX770 (4GB) and it runs like shit even though the settings aren't maxed out. You can't drive 10 meters without stuttering, loading or whatnot. Feeling so buttfucked for getting this on release.

How's the performance on PS4? Does it actually run smooth or is it a choppy piece of garbage like PC?

Kabouter

I'm running a 3570k, 8GB RAM,GTX770 (4GB) and it runs like shit even though the settings aren't maxed out. You can't drive 10 meters without stuttering, loading or whatnot. Feeling so buttfucked for getting this on release.

How's the performance on PS4? Does it actually run smooth or is it a choppy piece of garbage like PC?

That's so weird, I have almost the exact same specifications (4670k, 16GB RAM, GTX 770 4GB), but I have had zero performance issues. I'm curious, what OS are you running?

Kuldar

It's a steady 30 fps most of the time on PS4. Only times I had drops was during Decryption and Racing online mode and sometimes when the game saved after a mission.

Mogwai

That's so weird, I have almost the exact same specifications (4670k, 16GB RAM, GTX 770 4GB), but I have had zero performance issues. I'm curious, what OS are you running?

Windows 8.1 here. I just don't understand why the frame rate is like a yo-yo combined with these frequent stutters.

It's a steady 30 fps most of the time on PS4. Only times I had drops was during Decryption and Racing online mode and sometimes when the game saved after a mission.

Hmm, as long as the fps drops aren't every 5 seconds it seems decent enough.

Mogwai

I'm running W7, so that might be an explanation I guess?

It's a good guess in any case. Would be very interesting to hear from other people experiencing bad performance, whether they run W7 or 8.

Anyway, it's quite the paradox that a game focusing on technology/OS/hacking can't even run stable itself.

SJRB

Gold Member
So... probably long after I've completed and uninstalled the game.

Hopefully the DLC they put out is worth it.

This isn't even completely true because the Untouchables pack isn't available for me. All I got when I bought the season pass is the Conspiracy AR game and the Club pack [outfit and car perk].

I can't believe they locked out the outfits for a later release, what could possibly be the purpose of that other than to troll people who bought the season pass thinking they'd get 5 new outfits? There should've been a huge disclaimer in the trailer and the PSN store description that 80% of the stuff advertised isn't available.

First and last time I'll ever buy a season pass for anything.

komplanen

I keep watching the clips posted in this thread but most of the time I end up going "okay, so what was supposed to be special about that?"

Especially Skyzard keeps posting clips that just make me feel like I'm not cut from the same tree as he is. Almost like a weird cultural difference going on or something where his clips (like the ambulance clip or the first mp clip from today) just lack something that normal people think is interesting or funny. But still the game is neat and worth buying if you're into open-world games regardless what some of the clips tell you. Also some of them are still pretty good indication about the game's graphics.

Redshirt

Banned
Certain conditions have to be met before the last criminal convoy is revealed. I don't know what they are off hand, but if you just start doing other tasks, it'll reveal itself eventually.

Kabouter

The missing persons finale is rather disappointing. Such a cool concept, too. Very unfortunate.

Yeah.
When I caught the guy I thought I would get a phone call from the real murderer telling me I hadn't caught him, but had just caught a patsy of some sort.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah.
When I caught the guy I thought I would get a phone call from the real murderer telling me I hadn't caught him, but had just caught a patsy of some sort.

Something a bit more clever is what I expected as well.
The e-mail to the news station you hack from his phone after you take him down in extremely poorly written English was almost insultingly bad. Like "the guy is a moron" kind of bad, even though the murder scenes all seemed extremely sophisticated. Also, I knocked him out, I didn't kill him. So there's a plot hole as well.

Also, the burner phones conclusion was bizarre as well.
Maurice's story is fucking insane. He was forced to kill Aiden, but during the ambush he doesn't want to so he shoots the car tire, accidentally killing the girl in the process. The guilt is eating him up inside, and his wife is taken and sold during an auction. He tried to do good but his life is destroyed.

And after this revelation, Aiden's reaction is terrible. There should've been a mission where you rescue his wife from an auction or something. Anything. Maurice didn't deserve the torture Aiden and Jordi put him through, Aiden himself did far worse things during his quest for vengeance.

I hope the other investigations actually deliver.

I finished the story last night. It's was fun enough but ultimately a forgettable expirence. I'm going to beat all the criminal convoys and gang hideouts but that will probably be it.

The missing persons finale is rather disappointing. Such a cool concept, too. Very unfortunate.

Seriously. I was shocked at how bad that mission was.

Something a bit more clever is what I expected as well.
The e-mail to the news station you hack from his phone after you take him down in extremely poorly written English was almost insultingly bad. Like "the guy is a moron" kind of bad, even though the murder scenes all seemed extremely sophisticated. Also, I knocked him out, I didn't kill him. So there's a plot hole as well.

Also, the burner phones conclusion was bizarre as well.
Maurice's story is fucking insane. He was forced to kill Aiden, but during the ambush he doesn't want to so he shoots the car tire, accidentally killing the girl in the process. The guilt is eating him up inside, and his wife is taken and sold during an auction. He tried to do good but his life is destroyed.

And after this revelation, Aiden's reaction is terrible. There should've been a mission where you rescue his wife from an auction or something. Anything. Maurice didn't deserve the torture Aiden and Jordi put him through, Aiden himself did far worse things during his quest for vengeance.

I hope the other investigations actually deliver.
If Ubisoft doesnt expand on this with Maurice DLC or even Jordi DLC, then I have lost all hope for Watch_Dogs narrative quality forever.

PUedBo.jpg

iml4oj.jpg

jiHYrM.jpg

zjbw7O.jpg

z9FUoP.jpg

Montresor

This game is incredible. Hacking as a puzzle-solving mechanic has made this one of my favourite games ever made. It's extremely refreshing to see how many clever ways Ubisoft has used hacking to enrich a puzzle in the open world.

QR Codes - Each QR code in the open world is painted on different surfaces, sometimes even on different buildings. You have to think critically and approach the QR code at an angle that makes it appear like the disjointed QR code is one unbroken surface. When you hack the camera that provides that necessary angle, you have solved the puzzle.

Privacy Invasions / Weapons Investigation / ctOS towers: With these puzzles you usually need to activate your phone's profiler and follow communication/electrical lines from a locked door or locked console to a linked, hackable console. It's fun following the lines across streets, across multiple houses, using hackable lifts to gain good vantage points, bouncing between hacked cameras until you can get a good view of the hackable console.

ctOS breaches: These are basically timed versions of the Privacy Invasion / ctOS tower puzzles, except you don't follow communication/electrical lines, you just run from console to console and use cameras or lifts to get the right vantage points to complete each ctOS hack.

Criminal Convoys / Fixer Contracts / Open World Automobile Travel in general: It's a blast to succeed a car chase after lining up a blown steam pipe with a pursuer's car, or using traffic lights to cause a car crash.

Stealth and hacking: Stealth in Assassin's Creed games is usually uninspired. Here there are a dozen ways to tackle each stealth situation. Hack an earpiece to jam communications, or use a consumable Jam Comms item instead. Hack stationary cameras or an enemy's head-mounted camera to get a view of the situation, etc...

Setsuna

once you buy all the cars and guns, money is worthless, right? I have like $500K

High stakes poker? but then you could accidentally win money
Money drop offs at hotspors? but you are limited to like 10k a day
Weapons? Then again ammo refills on death

Yeah money is worthless

And they say Battlefield 4 has bad net code.

http://youtu.be/fCS6VO_0fDM

Seems more like a bad connection than bad netcode

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
High stakes poker? but then you could accidentally win money
Money drop offs at hotspors? but you are limited to like 10k a day
Weapons? Then again ammo refills on death

Yeah money is worthless

Seems more like a bad connection than bad netcode

It was just one recording of about 30 sessions it took to get all the online trophies that required more than 2 people. Every single one with random people and as soon as more than 3-4 people were in the same session framerate tanked. If it was bad connection it wasn't on my end.

Sojgat

This game is incredible. Hacking as a puzzle-solving mechanic has made this one of my favourite games ever made. It's extremely refreshing to see how many clever ways Ubisoft has used hacking to enrich a puzzle in the open world.

QR Codes - Each QR code in the open world is painted on different surfaces, sometimes even on different buildings. You have to think critically and approach the QR code at an angle that makes it appear like the disjointed QR code is one unbroken surface. When you hack the camera that provides that necessary angle, you have solved the puzzle.

Privacy Invasions / Weapons Investigation / ctOS towers: With these puzzles you usually need to activate your phone's profiler and follow communication/electrical lines from a locked door or locked console to a linked, hackable console. It's fun following the lines across streets, across multiple houses, using hackable lifts to gain good vantage points, bouncing between hacked cameras until you can get a good view of the hackable console.

ctOS breaches: These are basically timed versions of the Privacy Invasion / ctOS tower puzzles, except you don't follow communication/electrical lines, you just run from console to console and use cameras or lifts to get the right vantage points to complete each ctOS hack.

Criminal Convoys / Fixer Contracts / Open World Automobile Travel in general: It's a blast to succeed a car chase after lining up a blown steam pipe with a pursuer's car, or using traffic lights to cause a car crash.

Stealth and hacking: Stealth in Assassin's Creed games is usually uninspired. Here there are a dozen ways to tackle each stealth situation. Hack an earpiece to jam communications, or use a consumable Jam Comms item instead. Hack stationary cameras or an enemy's head-mounted camera to get a view of the situation, etc...

The ctOS control centers are the highlight for me, where all the systems come into play, and you have complete freedom to approach the situation however you please.

I want more of that kind of design in the sequel.

mitchman

Gold Member

The PS4 version is fine. I suspect your issue is you're running out of vram, which can happen if you run other apps such as Chrome or Opera with a few tabs open. They use from the vram unless you disable hwa.

fade_

The PS4 version is fine. I suspect your issue is you're running out of vram, which can happen if you run other apps such as Chrome or Opera with a few tabs open. They use from the vram unless you disable hwa.

I have 6gb of vram....still piss poor performance.

The ctOS control centers are the highlight for me, where all the systems come into play, and you have complete freedom to approach the situation however you please.

I want more of that kind of design in the sequel.
Yep. They reminded me of the Borgia towers in Assassins Creed Brotherhood, which were also the gameplay highlight there.

You don't have to "activate" those missions - they just exist within the open world, and you can tackle them in your own manner. Its a design sense that I wish was the primary focus in Ubi's open world games, with deviations from that mold being the exception rather than the rule.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yep. They reminded me of the Borgia towers in Assassins Creed Brotherhood, which were also the gameplay highlight there.

You don't have to "activate" those missions - they just exist within the open world, and you can tackle them in your own manner. Its a design sense that I wish was the primary focus in Ubi's open world games, with deviations from that mold being the exception rather than the rule.
They actually confirmed that that's the design philosophy for Unity's missions. :D

I had planned on making this game my first platinum, but the requirements to beat the drinking game completely is insane. Complete all 10 levels with 3 different drinkers, is over 3 hours of work. Not doing it.

Did you use the reload trick to save time?
If it's the case it's not related to the patch, some people lost their money and skills by doing this before the patch.

Yep seems that was what did me in. Guess it wasn't patch related but reload related.

Got the platinum in time though. Social Lubricant trophy being at a whopping 0.6% total completion made me laugh. #Team98% is real.

UFRA

Got platinum trophy on this. :)

Edit: In response to the post a few above...omg yeah, the drinking trophy was the most stupid thing ever. I HATED that one. The two guys in the south are pretty easy, just stupidly time consuming. But the guy in Pawnee is a fucking bastard and his challenges are FAR more difficult.

money is indeed worthless in this game. but so what? It's worthless too in GTA5 except for tuning your car and buying expensive property.

I still have to finish this game when I've got the time. GTA5(ps4),TLOU:remasterd(ps4), halo MC (xbone),etc comming up. still have to keep playing Fez(5 euro in PS store (great game!) and minecraft(too bad I don't have anyone to play MP with :( )

Somehow the antihype on Gaf delayed my purchase. But i bought the game and will receive it on tuesday. It seems like a lot of content to have fun with and it looks good enough.

I never had any performance issues on PC, High setting on a R9 270x, is this just a nvidia thing, I recently moved from a nvidia card and the drivers lately were brutal.

Sojgat

They actually confirmed that that's the design philosophy for Unity's missions. :D

That sounds great.

From the E3 presentations it was clear they've got a similar stealth system to Watch Dogs in there as well. With cover and unaware enemy NPCs triggering a crouching state... instead of bushes.

SJRB

Gold Member
Noooooo the Human Trafficing finale, NOOOOOOOOO GOD NO.

Joseph Demarco? O my fucking god, he finally shows up. E3 2012 mission, finally I get to play it. HYPE.

...Just kidding, says the game. Blow up this convoy like you've done 20 times already. GG player, Poppy is free. Whoo.

Would it really be too much to make an epilogue-style mission where you drive to the Club, kick down the door, kill some dudes and release the captive women? This isn't fucking rocket science, a 12-year-old could come up with an ending like this.

All these investigations finales are terrible. Just awful.

Sojgat

Noooooo the Human Trafficing finale, NOOOOOOOOO GOD NO.

Joseph Demarco? O my fucking god, he finally shows up. E3 2012 mission, finally I get to play it. HYPE.

...Just kidding, says the game. Blow up this convoy like you've done 20 times already. GG player, Poppy is free. Whoo.

Would it really be too much to make an epilogue-style mission where you drive to the Club, kick down the door, kill some dudes and release the captive women? This isn't fucking rocket science, a 12-year-old could come up with an ending like this.

All these investigations finales are terrible. Just awful.

The Weapons Trade mission was alright... something different at least.

So... probably long after I've completed and uninstalled the game.

Hopefully the DLC they put out is worth it.
Why can't they just tell us when it'll be available? They know.

Thought about this too.
"New stuff for Aiden to do and use! "

But the game is finished and can't replay missions or restart the game without nuking your save.
Yeah there should be options to replay missions and reset the gang hideout missions and other activities. It's pretty disappointing. The further you progress the more the world becomes barren and bereft of things to do.

This isn't even completely true because the Untouchables pack isn't available for me. All I got when I bought the season pass is the Conspiracy AR game and the Club pack [outfit and car perk].

I can't believe they locked out the outfits for a later release, what could possibly be the purpose of that other than to troll people who bought the season pass thinking they'd get 5 new outfits? There should've been a huge disclaimer in the trailer and the PSN store description that 80% of the stuff advertised isn't available.

First and last time I'll ever buy a season pass for anything.
Weird, check again. I got the untouchables pack on PS4 no problem.

But yeah I agree. I think the season pass was advertised in a misleading way. We knew we'd have to wait for T-Bone's missions, but why should we have to wait for DLC that's been available to other people since day one?

Yeah there should be options to replay missions and reset the gang hideout missions and other activities. It's pretty disappointing. The further you progress the more the world becomes barren and bereft of things to do.
Definitely. I'd be interested in more content like repeatable side missions on both the regular map and especially in free roam. Free roam could be the real star here but there's nothing to do there. But put in some co-op missions, winner takes all objectives, randomized missions, whatever, and free roam could shine in ways that GTAO doesn't and can't.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ugh so side missions not worth finishing?

Also anyone experience stuttering on ps4 after latest patch. It's always after a mission is completed when it's giving you xp and stuff

Ser Goje

So I did the last convoy mission by hacking someone's phone.

And I just finished the story, it was good, better than GTA V.

That last conversation between Aiden and Nicole was great, really got me.

I think it broke the ACIII credit time too, I'm dying here.

Top Bottom