• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

What's people honest opinion about Aisha Tyler?

I think she was great at Ubisoft's E3, both 2012 & 2013. Not all of her jokes were perfect, but she always handled the entire conference really well and I'd take her over the "random buzzwords" guy any year.

i want her to have my children.

i got tired of listening to her voice after a marathon of Archer though.

OT: So does Aiden always wear these semi-rapist/serial killer coats or can i give him something decent to wear?

GHG

Gold Member
Holy shit

ib1qxpznC47gxj.jpg

ibsWH7Wk93iftK.jpg

So now that the game looks like the "bullshots" that i posted from the Nvidia site, where are the people that were giving me crap earlier in the thread?

DrBo42

Online tailing is pretty amazing. Followed some guy as he smashed through traffic in an armored car or something of that build. He's hacking the lights causing all this destruction behind him and I'm just weaving past it until finally he stops in a parking lot. At first I'm confused, "Is he on to me?" then I remember that's where a mission starts. The thing is, you can't actually start a mission when someone is in your game so he IMMEDIATELY figures out what's up, pulls his gun out and starts to profile the crowd to find me. I manage to casually walk by in a crowd of two other pedestrians as he runs past, none the wiser. Mission success. Pretty awesome.

DrBo42

Sounds really fun, try any other modes?

Tried the 1 v 1 hacking but it just had some douche camped out in the middle of a huge open area with a grenade launcher. I managed to get away after he detected me but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

JLeack

Banned
lol

Infamous was on one console. Watchdogs is on like 6 plattforms. So no optimization like infamous for a specific console. Also Watchdogs has a huge map with alot of interactions.

Strange comparisons by some people.

Watch Dogs is way better than Castlevania for Nintendo 64.

Phlebas

Banned
Tried the 1 v 1 hacking but it just had some douche camped out in the middle of a huge open area with a grenade launcher. I managed to get away after he detected me but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Sniper Rifle? Or nothing long range like that?

Online tailing is pretty amazing. Followed some guy as he smashed through traffic in an armored car or something of that build. He's hacking the lights causing all this destruction behind him and I'm just weaving past it until finally he stops in a parking lot. At first I'm confused, "Is he on to me?" then I remember that's where a mission starts. The thing is, you can't actually start a mission when someone is in your game so he IMMEDIATELY figures out what's up, pulls his gun out and starts to profile the crowd to find me. I manage to casually walk by in a crowd of two other pedestrians as he runs past, none the wiser. Mission success. Pretty awesome.

This is what I want to hear/read.

Tnx

DrBo42

Sniper Rifle? Or nothing long range like that?

There are sniper rifles. The thing with the 1 v 1 hacking is that as the intruder you go in to collect data. If you're found, you run. You either can't or aren't supposed to harm the target but the target can light your ass up when he finds you. Which is why he was camped out in the open with a grenade launcher, waiting for people to invade.

Phlebas

Banned
There are sniper rifles. The thing with the 1 v 1 hacking is that as the intruder you go in to collect data. If you're found, you run. You either can't or aren't supposed to harm the target but the target can light your ass up when he finds you. Which is why he was camped out in the open with a grenade launcher, waiting for people to invade.

Ah OK makes sense, appreciate the responses.

sehui

I got my hands on Watch Dogs for PC.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its kind of underwhelming... There's something awkward about how aiden walks around in the game, it doesn't feel natural or smooth. Clunky is the best word.

Also the driving is pretty shoddy. It doesn't control well (I heard Ubisoft in general can't do driving mechanics well, far cry 3 for example).

It's shooting is also not very deep. For example, in games like infamous or GTA, in order to get good karma you usually don't kill criminals, and aim for their feet or something.

In Watch Dogs, during a pursuit, if you shoot the criminal twice in the leg, they will die. Its system isn't smart enough to detect different hit detection.

Oh yeah, I built my PC this December, running an i7 4470k, R9 280x, 8gb RAM and I was having trouble running this on max, and sometimes even on high.

These are my thoughts.

Lucent

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its kind of underwhelming... There's something awkward about how aiden walks around in the game, it doesn't feel natural or smooth. Clunky is the best word.

Also the driving is pretty shoddy. It doesn't control well (I heard Ubisoft in general can't do driving mechanics well, far cry 3 for example).

It's shooting is also not very deep. For example, in games like infamous or GTA, in order to get good karma you usually don't kill criminals, and aim for their feet or something.

In Watch Dogs, during a pursuit, if you shoot the criminal twice in the leg, they will die. Its system isn't smart enough to detect different hit detection.

Oh yeah, I built my PC this December, running an i7 4470k, R9 280x, 8gb RAM and I was having trouble running this on max, and sometimes even on high.

These are my thoughts.

Well, you're not the first person to give your thoughts. There are quite a few people on here who have given good impressions, so I have some hope.

Not making my final decision til I go to my friends house and watch him play a bit though.

maneil99

Ubisoft really should have created a system like eurphoria for this, ragdolls just don't look the same after GTA 4/5. There really hasn't been another open world game that has went for a realistic world since GTA 4. Saints rows lackluster world has been excused becaues its not the focus, as has infamous. Disappointing, really makes you realize how good Rockstars physics system is.

So the driving is atrocious. Everything else seems mostly fine so far though? The art design is more than lacking and the game is kind of ugly as a whole, but it's been mildly entertaining so far.

2beep

Banned
driving has the same problem as assetto corsa with a controller, some sensitivity is too low and you just cant change from left to right quickly

I've been playing the PS4 version for a few hours and I'll expound on a few other little details.

I really think Watch Dogs is best described as an open world stealth game. Aiden isn't a fighter and each encounter with the enemy allows you to set off things to take them out one by one, kinda like a puzzle. It's pretty smart and not very often done in AAA games like this. Also the AI is smart if you go all out shooting, they cleverly flank and close in on you and use teamwork to suppress and try to get you. I'm honestly surprised and shocked at how often I had to stay ahead of the enemies through moving from cover to cover and to ensure that they can't get close to me. Driving mechanics are pretty horrible but police chases are fun because it essentially becomes MGS in terms of stealth. Since you can turn off your car engine and hide in alleys, it almost feels like snake hiding in a corner waiting for alert to be over. You can either out run the police chases or cleverly drive from alley to alley and turn off your engine when you think you're in danger of being spotted.

So far the story is alright, I'm not into Aiden or his cast as characters much. It's pretty serviceable but nothing outstanding. I'd like to say that the Digital trips NVZN and Cash run apps on your phone are pretty amazing and act like fun distractions from the serious story.

You get:

Madness, a deathrace 2000-esque game where you have to run down demons to get souls to get faster

Alone, an apocalyptic silent hill-ish stealth game where you have to access points while evading robots with spotlights for heads. The city is ruined and you are alone in a fog covered city.

Psychadelic, Pretty much a temple run like game to get aiden to fly as high as possible by bouncing on flowers

Spider-tank, the star of the 4 games where you control a giant robot spider that can climb up walls, shoot gatling guns and missiles and try to destroy as much as you can.

NVZN, Shoot a pixel gun against space invaders-esque enemies, pretty fun

Another thing I have to mention is how much LIFE the city has. It's really wonderful to walk by and hear 5 different conversations and half the time in different languages, I've heard mexican, french, chinese and english so far and I probably think I'll hear more. I even saw a guy rapping to his friend and eavesdropping into someone's phone conversation. It really makes you feel like you're a part of the city. There's something really atmospheric about parking your car at a sidewalk, turning off the engine and listening to the pitter-patter of the rain while you listen to blues on the radio and scan the passer-by. Overall the game is a fun experience and Ubisoft should be commended on some of the things they did right. The game is flawed in some ways but knowing ubisoft, I doubt this will be the last time we see Watch dogs.

These are my thoughts.
I agree with you about the driving, but feel almost the exact opposite about everything else :eek:

I love the animation system. It's hands down the best combination of smoothness and responsiveness I've ever experienced. There are virtually no awkward or jerky transitions, the number of contextual animations is astounding (and they're always seamless), and everyone feels like they're part of a universe that actually has gravity. I would describe it as completely natural and not at all clunky.

The shooting system is about on par with GTA imo. The guns have more recoil for sure, but I haven't had any issues with hit detection in relation to neutralizing enemies, and the aiming itself is good.

And what res are you running? I've got my framerate locked at 30 so performance isn't an issue, but I can imagine that it would dip if you're using 60 fps as your metric.

How is somebody's occupation a blood donor? How could you possible donate enough blood to live off that? And how would somebody in the medical business not catch that you are HIV positive and like blacklist you in a database.

sehui

I agree with you about the driving, but feel almost the exact opposite about everything else :eek:

I love the animation system. It's hands down the best combination of smoothness and responsiveness I've ever experienced. There are virtually no awkward or jerky transitions, the number of contextual animations is astounding (and they're always seamless), and everyone feels like they're part of a universe that actually has gravity. I would describe it as completely natural and not at all clunky.

The shooting system is about on par with GTA imo. The guns have more recoil for sure, but I haven't had any issues with hit detection in relation to neutralizing enemies, and the aiming itself is good.

And what res are you running? I've got my framerate locked at 30 so performance isn't an issue, but I can imagine that it would dip if you're using 60 fps as your metric.

I guess I'm biased about the controls. I just came off playing games like Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, which possibly has the best 3rd person sprinting ever in a game, and where everything feels so natural control wise.

For the shooting system, I wasn't implying about hit boxes, but more of the sense that the system for hits is rather stupid ; in previous sandbox games with a karma system, you could shoot people in non essential areas for a non lethal take down. in Watch Dogs that's pretty much non existent, shoot a dude in the head vs shoot a dude in the feet twice are akin.

Also, regarding the dialogue in the game, only 2 hrs in and I heard repeats from different individual NPCs. One was about a woman cheating on his boyfriend, and the other was about how ctOS were spying on people. Kinda cheesy and lame imo for repeats already...

Oh yeah, don't get your hopes up for the story, I was barely interested in it, and it honestly doesn't do a good job setting it up in the beginning. Kind of just throws you in the middle of things, Mass Effect 3 style (where it assumed you played the ME2 DLC).

Gaz_RB

Holy Shit.

u6RJ3oq.jpg

Don't let him cough on you.

For the shooting system, I wasn't implying about hit boxes, but more of the sense that the system for hits is rather stupid ; in previous sandbox games with a karma system, you could shoot people in non essential areas for a non lethal take down. in Watch Dogs that's pretty much non existent, shoot a dude in the head vs shoot a dude in the feet twice are akin.

This is false.

Hasney

These are my thoughts.

After playing it last night, I completely agree. I think if you're looking for a sandbox city game and haven't played Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row, I'd easily point someone I those directions. The story is laughable, I'm enjoying it in parts because it's good to laugh at... I just wish some of the unskippable scenes were skippable.

There's fun to be had here with your typical sandbox game, but hacking just becomes a context sensitive button press. I feel like playing some Saints Row now and have some real fun.

JLeack

Banned

These are my thoughts.

Just to balance this out for anyone freaking out over negativity...

Aiden might move slow but I like platforming with him. I really like the driving. I hated GTAIVs style and this isn't slow like that. The gun play is cohesive and there are more weapons than you would expect, including very umpactful explosives that produce nice fireworks.

Some people might be unhappy with the game, but I know I dig it.

Karak

Just to balance this out for anyone freaking out over negativity...

Aiden might move slow but I like platforming with him. I really like the driving. I hated GTAIVs style and this isn't slow like that. The gun play is cohesive and there are more weapons than you would expect, including very umpactful explosives that produce nice fireworks.

Some people might be unhappy with the game, but I know I dig it.

Pretty much every game though. Some will find the story dumb, others great, some will think it looks good, others terrible, some will hate the driving and others love it. Some people would be unhappy with free gold, and some people would be happy with a brown bag full of shit:)

JLeack

Banned
Pretty much every game though. Some will find the story dumb, others great, some will think it looks good, others terrible, some will hate the driving and others love it. Some people would be unhappy with free gold, and some people would be happy with a brown bag full of shit:)

Opinions, man.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So now that the game looks like the "bullshots" that i posted from the Nvidia site, where are the people that were giving me crap earlier in the thread?
Do you have any performance numbers to backup those claims? Those shots appear to be downsampled from a much higher resolution and, no doubt, are utilizing Ultra settings. Have we seen any performance number showcasing the game running at, say, 4k resolution with Ultra settings at a smooth frame-rate?

Hasney

I will say the game looks better when you're playing it. For some reason, the animations feel great when you move Aiden around yourself rather than just watching. I'm not sure what they were thinking with daytime though.

I'm playing on medium for 60fps and it's much better than the PS4 footage just for being smoother. High is playable, but closer to 30 than I'd like.

Watching streams - what the hell is with the cutscene animation? It's incredibly wooden. I feel like the last few Asscreed games had much more expressive characters.

Top Bottom