• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Damnit!! Didn't realize the Braid round was ending so quickly! Just wanted to drop this in for posterity... Probably doesn't fit as well in with the magazine ad idea.

28guhjs.jpg

Wish I had time to work on something TF2 related, but I have to work on real work. ;_;

EDIT: WOW. Amazing stuff already for TF2. Think I'll sit this one out! :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
As late as it is, I think its excellent.

If you don't see it, in the original SMB box, the speed trails are behind Mario, but here, they're infront of Tim. Super clever.

Aselith

I have a proposal which I can't make as I don't have photoshop and shit but if anyone wants it feel free. So here it is: it's a before/after style ad (for TF2, of course.) The Before section the caption is "Gear of War grinding you down?" with a TF2 character in the Platoon boxcover pose with a disembodied head (dripping blood or not) or some other horrors of war style scene. The After section is just the heavy firing his chaingun with that huge smile on his face from the Meet the Heavy video and it has the TF 2 logo underneath.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mik said:
I think this one is tough because Valve's marketing/advertising has been great. There's not much chance of improving it or doing anything more interesting than they've already created. Anyway, I'd imagine this as a series, with each ad focusing on a different class, and the player pictured would look like/be dressed like that class...

tf2.jpg
McBacon said:
tf2ad_blu.jpg
tf2ad_red.jpg

I think it would be fun to run these two ads in the same magazine. One is paid by BLU, the other is paid by RED.
God damn. Goddamn. Goddam. GODAMMN

Imagine a whole series of these like the "Meet the Team" shorts, because I am too lazy to do 9 or whatever (also because Garry's Mod doesn't want to play nice right now):

tf2_1.jpg

tf2_2.jpg

poweld

Sega1991 said:
Imagine a whole series of these like the "Meet the Team" shorts, because I am too lazy to do 9 or whatever (also because Garry's Mod doesn't want to play nice right now):

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/BlazeHedgehog/tf2_1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/BlazeHedgehog/tf2_2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Whoa, yes.

teekay

Awesome thread. Personally, though, I think three days is definitely too short a time period to dedicate to each game. I mean, I checked the thread Friday and then Tuesday, and the window for Mirror's Edge had already come and gone. Those of us who are less skilled with this sort of thing and/or have less free time available would be more likely to participate if given, say, a week to do it in.

Some time ago I was in a Vietnamese restaurant. I was on the verge of tears because all those years of not eating Pho had been essentially wasted.

This thread is very similar.

Sooooo much win.

AniHawk

teekay said:
Awesome thread. Personally, though, I think three days is definitely too short a time period to dedicate to each game. I mean, I checked the thread Friday and then Tuesday, and the window for Mirror's Edge had already come and gone. Those of us who are less skilled with this sort of thing and/or have less free time available would be more likely to participate if given, say, a week to do it in.

It's okay if you post stuff late if you want to get your idea on here.

If you want to get some ideas for some upcoming ones, the next three will be Street Fighter IV, Link's Awakening, and Left 4 Dead (though not necessarily in that order).

FoxSpirit

Sega1991 said:

*awesome ads*

Now THAT'S something that'd get me interested :D

TheGOHN

AniHawk said:
Really? Nothing at all? There's the whole "stranger waking up on an island"/"shipwrecked" thing you could work from. Or the big ol' spoiler that's in the game's title.

There's also some really beautiful art for the game.

http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=27&pos=0

Thank you, Big help. It's just that Ive never been a big fan of Zelda games and have zero experience with them.

The link you gave is great thanks again.

Akia

Sega1991 said:

These are awesome you should keep going.

I thought the "Pick A Class -- Kick Some Ass" tagline was neat.

mik

mik is unbeatable
abstract alien said:
(neutral) mik
mik is unbeatable
(Yesterday, 07:56 AM)

:lol good stuff, and quite fitting
Haha. Thanks--now I have to deal with pressure, too. ;-)

Fantastic stuff guys. I haven't had time for the Braid or TF2 ads, but you guys are doing a bang up job. As a professional graphic designer, I'd say some of you put a lot of people in the field to shame. Awesome work!

teekay

AniHawk said:
It's okay if you post stuff late if you want to get your idea on here.

If you want to get some ideas for some upcoming ones, the next three will be Street Fighter IV, Link's Awakening, and Left 4 Dead (though not necessarily in that order).
Ah, okay. Also, for the sake of convenience, I would suggest mentioning what games will be up next in the OP, just so people who want to prepare don't have to scan the whole thread.

Davidion

I'm a huge fan of Team Fortress, so I had to whip up something quick and dirty. First remotely creative thing I've done in ages, so be gentle. I'm well aware of the poor font coloring/layout ratio, etc, I just didn't have time to flesh everything out in an hour. TF2 has such a unique atmosphere all its own that it's difficult to use it as a launchpad to dish out more design pieces that actually attempt to sell the game. Might do more later but it's...4am here.

It'd be a nice little thing for GAF as an organization to do to actually get devs and pubs to donate some actual art elements and have the board go at it. Can't hurt for publicity or what have you.

2pr642x.png

Davidion

Sega1991 said:
Fine, fine. Two more:

The Heavy one didn't turn out quite like I had hoped.

Ugh, I so wanted to go into Garry's mod and actually do some shots just for the ad.

I love your theme, works great for the game.

Davidion said:
Ugh, I so wanted to go into Garry's mod and actually do some shots just for the ad.

I love your theme, works great for the game.

It's kind of hard working with the TF2 models in Garry's Mod. The ragdolls were made a certain way so getting arms/hands to bend past certain angles is basically impossible (nobody can raise their arms above shoulder height, it seems). That's why you don't get a better view of the Heavy's gun, or the Spy's hand holding his revolver (and why his left arm is bent instead of flat against the wall). I had wanted the Scout to have his bat more over his head rather than off to the side, too, but alas.

FightyF

Banned
Just checked this last page of ads...AMAZING. Gonna check the rest..but at a later time. Why? Because you guys got me wanting to play some TF2. :lol

Ramenman

Crap, now I've looked at the other and they're all so awesome.

The RED and BLU "payed for" ones are great, and so are the "my name is" ones (especially heavy and spy), and "we want you for blu" too.

Davidion

McBacon said:
May I reccomend Professor Layton for a future topic ;)

Ooooof, that's going to be a hard one, imo.

Are you in the design field as well? You and Mik's contributions have been pretty damn impressive.

Top Bottom