• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm kinda surprised no one's used that cover from a magazine a year or so back. It's a painting of Mega Man (by Hitoshi Ariga) made for that magazine exclusively. I'm pretty sure someone made a wallpaper out of it and all.

tahrikmili said:
I always have a minimalist approach to ads and marketing.. I know it's not half as creative or good as most of the stuff here but anyway:

Looks good. My reaction is that maybe, for that extra minimalist approach, placing the Mega Man 9-logo down in the right corner, with the system logos to the left could look cool too.

Mdk7

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm kinda surprised no one's used that cover from a magazine a year or so back. It's a painting of Mega Man (by Hitoshi Ariga) made for that magazine exclusively. I'm pretty sure someone made a wallpaper out of it and all.

Looks good. My reaction is that maybe, for that extra minimalist approach, placing the Mega Man 9-logo down in the right corner, with the system logos to the left could look cool too.
mega-man-level-cover-full.jpg

?

I thought about this one at first, but it's too artistic for a retro style ad.
IMHO at least.

Tenks

That doesn't mean it doesn't look any less fucking beautiful.

I don't think anyone said it had to be a retro inspired ad I thought it was just a MM9 ad. Then again I'm not sure if I ever read the OP :p

ItsInMyVeins said:

Here you go:

megaman9-2285.jpg

Yeah, looks much better. Removed the old one.

Mdk7

Tenks said:
That doesn't mean it doesn't look any less fucking beautiful.

I don't think anyone said it had to be a retro inspired ad I thought it was just a MM9 ad. Then again I'm not sure if I ever read the OP :p
That picture is truly amazing, but as far as i'm concerned i wouldn't use it to promote a game like Mega Man 9.
If i think about MM9 the whole retro thing comes to my mind, and that's what i'd emphasize in a ad.
But it's just my point of view man! ;)

itsinmyveins

Mdk7 said:
?

I thought about this one at first, but it's too artistic for a retro style ad.
IMHO at least.

Yes, that one. I know it wouldn't be retro, but it's pretty much an awesome picture that a simple bold and light type font would work great with. Maybe not so much the real logo.

itsinmyveins

tahrikmili said:
Yeah, looks much better. Removed the old one.

In the future when ads in magazines will work like animated/sequenced gifs it'd be awesome with that as the opening, then the old school thunderstorm flash (making the whole picture flash white for a split second), revealing Dr. Wily's profile, standing by some window further away or whatever :)

itsinmyveins

TheGOHN said:
Not sure if im happy with it but here you go.

Looks really good imho, I'm just not sure about the background. There's something missing, something to liven the backdrop up somewhat. But I don't know what. Hmmm. Some shade of blue? Some kind of pixelated transition from dark blue (top) to light blue (bottom) or vice versa?

TheGOHN

Mdk7 said:
I personally like it a lot better now, good work pal!
May i suggest you another take on the same (cool) idea? Try to put the 8-bit cannon there instead of the drawn one...
Just to see how it looks, i think it could work...

Im gald you like it and I think thats a great idea. If no one tries it Ill give it a go.

Unless I cant get it done before the deadline.

Mdk7

AniHawk said:
No one said it had to be retro style.
As i said:

That picture is truly amazing, but as far as i'm concerned i wouldn't use it to promote a game like Mega Man 9.
If i think about MM9 the whole retro thing comes to my mind, and that's what i'd emphasize in a ad.
But it's just my point of view man!

;)

Ashour

Android18a said:
ehybmq.png

Yeah. We're all mature adults here, so I'm assuming that most of us are above this, but... :p

I hope the swearing doesn't offend any Americans in the room.

OMG, This is the funniest, my wife and I literary fell on the floor laughing.

TheGOHN

^^^:lol

I completely missed the trademark stuff.

I could just see this add in an adult magazine (PLAYBOY or something like it).

itsinmyveins

Exypher said:
Made some minor changes, but I think it looks better now.

Really glad you guys like it!

Is it alright if I use the bottom of you pic for an idea I'm trying out? The part with the logos of Capcom, PSN, XBL and Wii Ware? I'm kinda rushing it here and I haven't got the best computer stuff to work with :)

itsinmyveins

TheGOHN said:
ItsInMyVeins: Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Oh, I got the idea and it only took a few minutes pasting it together, since I borrowed the bottom part of Exypher's ad (like I said, can't really work on the computer I'm using now) to make things more easy for me. And of course, I'm totally borrowing Penny Arcade's comic strip for this. But it's the best ad you can get, imho.

MzKhaJklj.jpg

It's not as colorful nor sharp as it should be, but I didn't bother to really change the sizes or adjust the colors when I was pasting it together. And yeah, probably could have used some light blue background. Oh well.

Exypher

ItsInMyVeins said:
Is it alright if I use the bottom of you pic for an idea I'm trying out? The part with the logos of Capcom, PSN, XBL and Wii Ware? I'm kinda rushing it here and I haven't got the best computer stuff to work with :)

Of course, go right ahead :)

That comic is great.

TheGOHN said:
Not sure if im happy with it but here you go.

mm9teaser2.jpg

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Can probably be improved, ex: the smoke from megaman can be lengthened to become the hook of the 9 to make it flow better (or just make the current hook less defined, I feel like it breaks things up too much) but as a draft it's a great teaser.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Ledsen said:
I love it, but I really think it would work much better without the text at the top. It's kind of a GAF injoke and I think letting the picture speak for itself would make a bigger impact on me.

You are correct, sir.

megaman9c.jpg

AniHawk

For the next one, should it be two or three days? I feel like three days for MM9 might be dragging it out a little (end of tomorrow will still be the due date, that's not changing).

MNC

Hey. Hey. Hey. You know what would be nice?

A real awesome rar/zip with all of the entries at the end of each round :D Oh God, I love this topic so.

painey

great start of what should be a long running series of challenges. The Wii upgrade one is my fav, is there going to be a Fark-style vote for a winning entry?

MNC said:
Hey. Hey. Hey. You know what would be nice?

A real awesome rar/zip with all of the entries at the end of each round :D Oh God, I love this topic so.

That and a wallpaper including all the entries...

AniHawk

painey said:
great start of what should be a long running series of challenges. The Wii upgrade one is my fav, is there going to be a Fark-style vote for a winning entry?

Not now. Or not right away.

Top Bottom