• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Need to Talk About Digital Blackface in Reaction GIFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
As a black man, I found this to be an interesting read, never really thought about it like that.

Relax, non-black men. No one's going to censor your use of gifs with black people lol

Now, I'm not suggesting that white and nonblack people refrain from ever circulating a black person's image for amusement or otherwise (except maybe lynching photos, [Emmett Till's casket, and videos of cops killing us, y'all can stop cycling those, thanks). There's no prescriptive or proscriptive step-by-step rulebook to follow, nobody's coming to take GIFs away. But no digital behavior exists in a deracialized vacuum. We all need to be cognizant of what we share, how we share, and to what extent that sharing dramatizes preexisting racial formulas inherited from ”real life." The Internet isn't a fantasy — it's real life.

OP should've bolded this, feel like I can see how this thread is gonna go lol

I think the article is reaching, frankly, and is borderline ridiculous. Using reaction GIFs doesn't equate to adopting nor presenting a persona, let alone focusing on the race of the people within the GIFs. Typically, they're selected more for entertainment and comedic purposes, then to present an honest recount of a person's exact reaction and/or emotional state to whatever-thing. Unless you think literally thousands of people are attempting to convince the world that Weebay's shock and revelation is somehow a universal truth, common only to the human condition?

Let's get specific. I have a selection of Denzel Washington GIFs in my reaction list. I think we can all agree that Denzel Washington is black. As it so happens, I am not black. Why do I have these specific GIFs of Denzel Washington? Because I think the man is one of the greatest actors of any era, I love basically every film he's ever done, and damn it, I enjoy showing off his range any chance I get. He's iconic, talented, and worth any scrap of praise I can offer. I am not racist, nor am I donning blackface, by using GIFs featuring Denzel Washington. And, frankly, insinuations to contrary get under my skin.

giphy.gif

Yo that's a dope gif. Thanks.

I mean black people are funny and people think we have funny reactions to things.

I understand the argument that sometimes it feels like caricature.

People, just because someone brings up the potential problematic racial implications of something you enjoy doesn't mean you need to automatically assume that person is calling anyone racist or trying to take away the thing that you enjoy

Snarky❤;245361139 said:
I mean black people are funny and people think we have funny reactions to things.

I understand the argument that sometimes it feels like caricature.

People, just because someone brings up the potential problematic racial implications of something you enjoy doesn't mean you need to automatically assume that person is calling anyone racist or trying to take away the thing that you enjoy
Damn you got a heart in your username. That's rad

Aizo

Banned
A lot of people seem to be taking this as "I should never post a gif that has a Black person as the focus? Fuck that."
That is not what's being said.

Aizo

Banned
I know I said "Be a defensive white man if this is old news," so are you all telling me that this article was already posted before?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I think about this a lot. Specifically the "Dis Gun Be Gud" meme people like to trot out. I dunno what race anyone is here or where the gif is from though so I don't ever call it out. I always wanna go "why exactly do you find that gif with that caption to be so hilarious that it needed to be shared right now?"

As for people pretending to be minorities to give themselves leverage in arguments, that is obviously happening.

Aizo

Banned
Unfortunately yeah. The title is enough to offend a lot of people. Solid try tho
I knew that some people would be upset just reading the thread title, but I merely copied the article headline. I didn't feel it was fair to make up my own. Also, I thought gaffers fear of being banned would make them read before posting in a thread about race relations. I was wrong.
One person being defensive here bud.
Be polite.

Media

A lot of people seem to be taking this as "I should never post a gif that has a Black person as the focus? Fuck that."

If that were the case, I could never post reaction gifs, as a Native American woman lol.

I knew that some people would be upset just reading the thread title, but I merely copied the article headline. I didn't feel it was fair to make up my own. Also, I thought gaffers fear of being banned would make them read before posting in a thread about race relations. I was wrong.

Definitely was worth doing IMO. I found it a good read anyway so, thanks for linking it.

Aizo

Banned
Definitely was worth doing IMO. I found it a good read anyway so, thanks for linking it.
You're welcome. I felt compelled to post it because I even read the article headline and thought "What the hell does that mean?" I read it because it was shared by a former professor of mine who I deeply respect, and I found that it had some interesting things to say.
The title for starters which the arguments in the body in no way earn.
You think we shouldn't talk about it? A number of people seem to be interested in discussing it, including Black members of GAF. I think it's a reasonable article.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Anybody who gets mad about this is mad about some shit they haven't fully reckoned with in the first place I think. They'd find a way to be mad regardless.

White people (myself included) who on a conscious and logical level consider themselves to not be racist get sick feeling in their stomachs when they are confronted with the idea that racism is maybe complicated and endemic to our culture even when they would agree with the sentiment in another context.

We love being one of the "good guys."

Mortemis

Banned

People love taking things as personal insults, it's the easiest way to ignore the topic.

I've never really thought of this, but I've definitely noticed the "as a black man" and those twitter accounts of people passing themselves off as black. Seems like someone tryna have fun online being black but the nice thing is they don't get to deal with any of the real life problems that being black brings.

To top it off with a gif:
tumblr_m6kftcsedP1qb4rewo1_500.gif

I still don't get why people get so angry at headlines ¯_(ツ)_/¯ this has a good headline, that should make people be interested and want to read it, which is normal. But nah gotta get angry and call the whole piece trash because of it ignoring all of the points actually made in the piece.

I mean you definitely see it here, where it's used as a "mask" by racists and bigots when they wanna say some profoundly horrible shit before they inevitably go too far and get banned.

Shit you see "as a black man" in every single race thread it's like clockwork.

Aizo

Banned
Anybody who gets mad about this is mad about some shit they haven't fully reckoned with in the first place I think. They'd find a way to be mad regardless.

White people (myself included) who on a conscious and logical level consider themselves to not be racist get sick feeling in their stomachs when they are confronted with the idea that racism is maybe complicated and endemic to our culture even when they would agree with the sentiment in another context.

We love being one of the "good guys."
It's all about what you do after you get that feeling. Some people get the feeling and think "Hey, I'm not racist. Don't insult me. This is bullshit." Others think "I don't think I'm racist. Maybe I should give some more thought about my behavior so that I don't hurt anyone accidentally."

You think we shouldn't talk about it? A number of people seem to be interested in discussing it, including Black members of GAF. I think it's a reasonable article.
I didn't say that now did I?

The article raises some interesting points but "digital blackface" is lazy shorthand that steps on a reasonable discussion by equating posting a reaction gif with historically racist shit.

Be polite.
I fucked up. I'm sorry. Thought I'd get the edit in there before you read it.

I mean I've literally seen a 4chan thread of people organizing to create fake twitter accounts of black women to spread "anti white woman" sentiment after the statistics of how many of them voted for Trump, specifically for the purposes of driving a divide between black women and white women. Like that was the goal.

So yeah digital black face is definitely a problem

Slime

Banned
This is one of those things that has always made me feel vaguely uncomfortable.

My thought process basically goes:

-Many of these funny GIFs depict black people doing silly facial expressions or gestures
-Most of the people posting these GIFs probably aren't black
-...but, at the same time, many of them are
-Some of these people might be posting these GIFs in a racially mocking way
-In fact, some of these GIFs might have originated on some shady image board for that express purpose
-At the same time, many of these GIFs were most certainly made by black people, or have at the very least have been taken back by them, so who am I to argue with that?

...and then I just think, if someone's a racist asshole, it's going to come out in a way other than the stealthy use of some GIF, so maybe I should stop being so neurotic about it.

I see where the writer is coming from, though. I don't think it's an argument that should be roundly mocked.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So, all the Bish Gifs we made over the years... 🤔

I think the article is reaching, frankly, and is borderline ridiculous. Using reaction GIFs doesn't equate to adopting nor presenting a persona, let alone focusing on the race of the people within the GIFs. Typically, they're selected more for entertainment and comedic purposes, then to present an honest recount of a person's exact reaction and/or emotional state to whatever-thing. Unless you think literally thousands of people are attempting to convince the world that Weebay's shock and revelation is somehow a universal truth, common only to the human condition?

Let's get specific. I have a selection of Denzel Washington GIFs in my reaction list. I think we can all agree that Denzel Washington is black. As it so happens, I am not black. Why do I have these specific GIFs of Denzel Washington? Because I think the man is one of the greatest actors of any era, I love basically every film he's ever done, and damn it, I enjoy showing off his range any chance I get. He's iconic, talented, and worth any scrap of praise I can offer. I am not racist, nor am I donning blackface, by using GIFs featuring Denzel Washington. And, frankly, insinuations to contrary get under my skin.

giphy.gif
Did you even read the OP? It isn't saying simply using a gif of a black person is problematic, it's about context and intent. It's saying certain gifs in certain contexts COULD be problematic.

SalvaPot

Its an interesting discussion for sure, I have to admit I never thought about that. I always felt reaction GIFs usually represent how I feel, and it just happens that some of the best reactions are by black people.

For example, this is one of my personal favorites:
nXPruDN.gif

The amount of energy and emotion is just great and its familiar enough that people get exactly what I am trying to convey by the GIF. Not always are you able to convey your feelings through words, that is why GIF's are so great.

But regarding the article, there is some merit on making people aware of boundaries. Reddit for example has subreddits dedicated to Black People and White People, this are their all time top posts:

r/blackpeoplegifs

r/whitepeoplegifs

But usually their posts are there to highlight the weirdness or quirkiness of each side, and if you to any of their comments sections there is ALWAYS, warranted, a mod post asking people to be nice because obviously there was a race war somewhere there at some point. You have to wonder how many people use this gifs as a tool to demean or reinforce ugly stereotypes in their race of choice.

I like to think that most people use GIFs because they enjoy them, I like to do so. But as everything context is key.

Think of the point of the article this way.

How much of /r/blacktwitter do you think is actually black people? How much of it is people using black people o laugh at and make crude jokes using "hippity slang"? How much of it is alt-right fuckos using it to pretend to be something they are not to poison the well of discussion and troll?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's all about what you do after you get that feeling. Some people get the feeling and think "Hey, I'm not racist. Don't insult me. This is bullshit." Others think "I don't think I'm racist. Maybe I should give some more thought about my behavior so that I don't hurt anyone accidentally."
For sure. I kinda think white liberals are slipping. Back in MY day we were like "racism is a deeply rooted facet of American culture and you gotta make an effort to check it"

Seems like these days racism is a thing only evil people can slip into. Probably a longer and more complicated derail than this thread needs though.

But yeah, I am actually really glad you posted this cuz it has been on my mind a lot for maybe a year or so and I was wondering if I was being crazy.

Aizo

Banned
I didn't say that now did I?
The title for starters which the arguments in the body in no way earn.
The title: We Need to Talk About Digital Blackface in Reaction GIFs

So, ya did.
I see now what you're saying, but you weren't exactly specific before. I personally felt that the author had a good description of what digital blackface meant. There are people online who use those GIFs to build a Black persona. They use GIFs perpetuating a certain image (sometimes negative) of the Black community. Sounds like blackface to me.

I can't gif from the movie Friday anymore? That's like the greatest comedy of the last 25 years! Fuck that. I'm out

nhr7bou.gif
Please tell me this complete misunderstanding is facetious. hahahah

Another facet people need to think about is think about how often you post and share black gifs and memes. Think about how often you listen to rap music. Think about black comedians or actors or singers that you love and follow all the time. Think about the slang that you use.

Now. Think about how much you've done to help the black community besides just buying stuff with black people in it. Does it stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom