• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What about gaming in 2017 would blow someone from 2007's mind?

Phediuk

Like this is what Gears 1 actually looked like, and it was arguably the most technically-advanced game ever made when it was released 10 years ago:

Gears-Of-War-1-PC-Game-Screenshot-2.jpg

Astral Dog

Like this is what Gears 1 actually looked like, and it was arguably the most technically-advanced game ever made when it was released 10 years ago:
i think you are giving Gears a disservice with that screenshoot,with Gears 3 looking even better

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Back then if you told people mobile games would overtake, rule and ruin the market it would sound insane.

Especially after you tell them it was the continuation of the extremely profitable Facebook gaming market

JBwB

-How big let's plays and streaming have become.

-The rise of indie games.

-The size of the Mobile games market.

-No Half Life 3 yet (or ever).

-That a remake of FFVII is actually happening.

FF versus 13 came out and it was actually FF15 and it was fun

This too.

shounenka

Technically, nothing really. It's all the same sh!t; just prettier.

The last time I remember being REALLY impressed with new gen game tech was when I saw the first MGS4 trailer in 2005. There was no way that I wasn't going to play that.

Anyone who recognized all the good stuff in older From titles like the Otogi series and enchanted arms knew that they were destined for greater recognition. If anything, someone from 2007 would be relieved to play something like Dark Souls and see that games have gotten even better.

That we still haven't gotten any FPSs as good as FEAR, TF2, or Crysis.

Really, that the entire FPS genre has stagnated. Battlefield 1 and DOOM are great, but in 2007 I was expecting Crysis-like campaigns to be the norm ten years down the road. Titanfall 2 is awesome, but the praise for its movement does nothing but illustrate how low our standards for advanced movement have fallen.

Other huge things:
- They're remaking the original System Shock! System Shock 3 is a thing!
- Resident Evil 4 is still the greatest game ever.

Alphahawk

MMORPGS are essentially a dead genre. WOW was huge and people thought it was only a matter of time before it was dethroned and the next big game in the genre was released. That's to say nothing of the fact that the MOBA model which largely replaced it had yet to be fully fleshed out/

Indie games are huge and many are sold at brick and mortar store, not only that but there is a whole genre known as "Art games",

Bog

Junior Ace
Not much from today would blow my mind back then. It doesn't even feel like that long ago.

144hz and g-sync tear free gaming would have blown my mind away, that's for sure. I would have laughed at you if you would have told me that Doom was one of the best games of the year in 2016.

I think in a pre-RDR, pre-GTA4 world, no one would believe that MGS5 or GTA5 would run on a PS360. Hell, even after Gears and Uncharted, I doubt very many would believe that Tomb Raider reboot would. In 2007, Crackdown and Saints Row were the pinnacle of console open world graphics.

With the success of the Wii and DS at the time, no one would believe that the fledgling iPhone would eat the DS successors' lunch, or that motion controls would be DOA by mid-2012.

With Halo at the height of its popularity, no one would believe that Bungie and MS would split, that their next game would be heavily marketed by Sony, and that its explosive popularity would cause MS to lose the fps crown.

With Sony floundering in the US and Japan, few would have believed they would be outselling Nintendo and MS nearly 3:1 combined WW in 2016.

Nintendo going mobile? TLG and FF versus not releasing for another 9 years? KH3 another 11?Shenmue 3 being a real thing? FF on Xbox being a regular thing? Music games being dead?

Alphahawk

The fact that every big budget movie doesn't automatically get a console game released for it, and in fact it's actually quite rare for it to happen would be shocking/

Crysis will be the last game that universally Wow's everyone technically.

In 2007 tech always advanced from that "one game".

Doom 3 was world's better than everything else.
Farcry was stunning and a technical benchmark for years.
Half-Life 2 blew everyone's freaking minds.
Crysis made people doubt it wasnt real.

...Then games just slowly got prettier. No "Giant Leap" really.

GamerJM

Banned
For me, how big streaming would get would be a good one that I only just thought of. Streaming existed in 2007 but it was in its infancy; I don't think I ever would have predicted how important it would be.

Ushay

Seeing the land of Toussaint in The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine running in 4K on a 65" OLED screen in my living room would completely blow 2007 me away. (To be fair, It blows my 2017 mind as well.)

Yeah.. I'm going with this one. 4K Witcher 3 would rock my socks back then, especially if this game was optimised for HDR as well.

Another game that would surprise and blow my mind is DOOM.

Triteon

1. That when you get home from buying a game you have to download patches that are two to three sizes bigger than 99% of all 360 games delaying instant gratification considerablly.

2. That internet speeds/caps havent increased exponentially to make point one inconsequential.

3. The explosion of mobile.

4. The encroachment of microtransactions.

Ptaaty

The idea of twitch...entire careers made of people watching. I still can't wrap my head around it. Teenagers literally preferring the watching to playing.

farisr

Smartphones/mobile gaming being the revenue juggernaut that they are.

And an extension of that, Pokemon Go.

No splitscreen in Halo.

Halo sells a fraction of what Call Of Duty sells now.

Nintendo really messed up big next-gen, and are now making a console/handheld hybrid as their main platform.

Assassins Creed goes on to release 8 more full featured console games over the next 10 years.

Shenmue 3 is actually happening.

"What you know now as FFvs13 doesn't actually get made and is retooled to be FFXV and release in 2016."

It took them 10 years after the PS3 tech demo to officially announce a FF7 Remake.

Share button would astonish me in 2007.

It's the culmination of a lot of different things coming together to create a pretty easy-to-use and IMO pretty powerful function. It feels to me like it's years of Quick Looks, Let's Play, YouTube celebrities, and just plain old having amazing moments to talk about from games but not being able to prove they ever happened, etc...

It literally is like a decade of social tech distilled down into a dedicated button and streamlined interface.

I am not a YouTube personality and l hate putting my face and voice to things, but man have I loved just capturing and sharing a quick funny moment or awe-inspiring screenshot every once in a while.

I mean, just two days ago I was playing Bloodborne cooperative with some friends and my buddy accidentally sprang the trap in Forbidden Woods while I wasn't looking and it ended up killing me, and we were laughing our asses off for minutes before we were able to continue. I just reminded my friends that they could press the share button to capture the moment and they were like "oh yeah, that's amazing, I forgot..."

There is this console coming out that's both a home console and a handheld in one and it's from Nintendo and it's (probably) pretty fucking awesome with a beautiful open world Zelda game to boot.

Sure would blow 2007-Bjoern's mind.

Not from 2017, but if I showed 2007 OrbitalBeard Uncharted 4, he'd be amazed, as he thought Uncharted 1 was a very bad game and the franchise had no real future.

If you showed me the Madagascar chase in U4, I would tell you that shit aint possible in real time.

I would have been amazed even it was CG cause its so well directed and smooth.

Shenmue 3 I guess.

I doubt visuals. Thinking ten years later and thus is the best they can do?

97 to 87 is the only mind bender of pants shitting.

I imagine 87 to 77 too.

Pokemon Go would blow my mind. the 3D models starting with X and Y would have been pretty surprising as well. I'm sure I'd be impressed with console graphics if there was an instant jump from 2007 to 2017. The gradual improvements over the years have given the illusion of games not getting more impressive, but it can be surprising how badly old 3d games have aged.

The disappointment would be mind blowing. If I knew that WoW was the still top MMO in 2017, I'd be depressed. Even more so that the genre is basically dead. Everquest to WoW was a pretty large jump in MMO game quality, but I would have expected an even larger leap by now.

iavi

An iPad Pro playing graphically intensive games.

I think people often underestimate the sheer magical feat of engineering that modern tablets are. We are so accustomed to it now that we fail to realize that we are living the damn Star Trek future.

This.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. The fact that the IPhone 7 can knock heads with some laptops today while having more graphical horsepower than a lot of them say way more than most people are really acknowledging now i feel.

https://youtu.be/pf88Lw0PgPQ

It's insane what mobile can do now

Alphahawk

Share button would astonish me in 2007.

It's the culmination of a lot of different things coming together to create a pretty easy-to-use and IMO pretty powerful function. It feels to me like it's years of Quick Looks, Let's Play, YouTube celebrities, and just plain old having amazing moments to talk about from games but not being able to prove they ever happened, etc...

It literally is like a decade of social tech distilled down into a dedicated button and streamlined interface.

I am not a YouTube personality and l hate putting my face and voice to things, but man have I loved just capturing and sharing a quick funny moment or awe-inspiring screenshot every once in a while.

I mean, just two days ago I was playing Bloodborne cooperative with some friends and my buddy accidentally sprang the trap in Forbidden Woods while I wasn't looking and it ended up killing me, and we were laughing our asses off for minutes before we were able to continue. I just reminded my friends that they could press the share button to capture the moment and they were like "oh yeah, that's amazing, I forgot..."

The "share button" is pretty mindblowing, I agree. The fact that you can know how any game on the PS4 plays simply by hitting a link on the store page blows me away even now. Like I view a game and notice it has no videos and I'm like "I've got to capture video for that"

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The fact that all the creativity has been supplanted by technical innovation.....
A VR, DLC, PAY FOR ONLINE ON HOME CONSOLE 1984 CAMERA EYE TRACKING WAGGLE WASTELAND and people fucking love it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I honestly dont think anything about gaming today would blow somefrom from 2007's mind. Even VR, was something we knew the possibilities about back then even though we hadnt seen it realized yet.

For me personally, if I had ever knew that decently-sized production value 2D-plattformer would make a retail return with the likes of New Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong Country Returns, my mind would have been blown back then. Still the most awesome change in the gaming industry for me during the last ten years.

Alphahawk

The fact that all the creativity has been supplanted by technical innovation.....
A VR, DLC, PAY FOR ONLINE ON HOME CONSOLE 1984 CAMERA EYE TRACKING WAGGLE WASTELAND and people fucking love it.

I would actually argue that with so many retro inspired indie games that this gen is less about technical innovation than ever before.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The current state of gaming laptops would blow a lot of people away. No more garbage mobile chips but now we are getting essentially desktop tier GPUs in sub 1inch thick laptops.

The fact that a 1200 dollar laptop is on par with an 800 dollar desktop is honestly kind of insane. In 2007 even the most expensive laptop wouldn't come very close to a even a medicore desktop and would cost you a lot more.

Top Bottom