• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What about gaming in 2017 would blow someone from 2007's mind?

WVW69iqdoSo7CKwpsp

This is a real image from a video game

In 2007, Id have laughed at anyone beliving that photoshop for so mamy reason.

bitbydeath

You know that super awesome game that just came out and is the best thing to happen to multiplayer well Warhawk has never been seen since. :-(

MCN

Banned
The Nintendo Switch reveal trailer.

A gamer in 2007 will know Oblivion as the latest Elder Scrolls game. With its plasticene character models, and running on a big, noisy, hot and unreliable console. To see Skyrim, which looks 10 times better, running on a handheld, being played on a plane?

That shit would blow minds.

The biggest game of 2016 was a game where you walk around the real world catching Pokemon.

I don't know about this one. Back in the day, everyone was talking about how great a Pokemon MMO would be, how it would be so incredibly popular and take over the world, etc, etc. I remember those jokes. I think if you told 2007 me about Pokemon Go I would have been like "Okay so they finally made the MMO. Except it has totally stripped down mechanics and doesn't come close to the magnificent Pokemon MMO that I imagined. How disappointing."

The GPS factor may have been surprising though, for sure.

VR is the hands down winner, stick a Rift, Vive or PSVR on my 2007 head and it would have exploded.

No new HL is definitely the runner up.

Spectone

Twitch, the fact that I can lie in bed and watch on my tablet computer people playing games from the other side of the planet in near real time is pretty mind blowing.

XaosWolf

Showing someone a list of Assassin's Creed games that have been released in the meantime. :eek:

Main games
Assassin's Creed (2007)
Assassin's Creed II (2009)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations (2011)
Assassin's Creed III (2012)
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013)
Assassin's Creed: Rogue (2014)
Assassin's Creed: Unity (2014)
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (2015)

Spin-off games
Assassin's Creed mobile game (2007)
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles (2008)
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (2009)
Assassin's Creed II mobile game (2009)
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery (2009)
Assassin's Creed II: Multiplayer (2010)
Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy (2010)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood mobile game (2010)
Assassin's Creed: Revelations mobile game (2011)
Assassin's Creed: Multiplayer Rearmed (2011)
Assassin's Creed: Recollection (2011)
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (2012)
Assassin's Creed III mobile game (2012)
Assassin's Creed: Pirates (2013)
Assassin's Creed: Memories (2014)
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (2015)
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India (2016)
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia (2016)
Assassin's Creed: Identity (2016)

I'd go for this. "And also a collection containing Assassins Creed 2, 2-2 and 2-3"

Then follow it with a list of Final Fantasy games that have released since Versus XIII reveal.

PKrockin

I can't think of much that's mind-blowing about how the games themselves have progressed, aside from graphics obviously. There's VR, but I still haven't been able to try it yet.

I guess Pewdiepie. Arguably the number one most popular video creator on the internet makes let's plays and earns millions of dollars a year. LPs were just getting started in 2007.

Local multiplayer has vanished into thin air with only a few holdouts, and social gaming has moved mostly online.

The collapse of mid-budget games, rise of indies, closure of studios, firing of some of the biggest names in the industry only for them to return via crowdfunding. Crowdfunding actually producing major successes like FTL, Shovel Knight, and Skullgirls while a Keiji Inafune-led Mega Man spiritual sequel is one of the worst received games in years.

I think I'd go with the current state of Nintendo thing.
2007 everybody was posting 'Wii/DS - it prints money' gifs.

Now, Nintendo fighting for relevance in a completely changed market.

Alphahawk

It, I imagine, would be somewhat mindblowing how little relevance motion control actually ended up having. Sony and Microsoft both came up with MP solutions and both quickly dropped them, and even Nintendo ended up dropping motion control from a lot of their later Wii releases.

pagrab

It, I imagine, would be somewhat mindblowing how little relevance motion control actually ended up having. Sony and Microsoft both came up with MP solutions and both quickly dropped them, and even Nintendo ended up dropping motion control from a lot of their later Wii releases.

I wouldn't write them off just yet. They found a new life in VR.

That there'd only be one mainline zelda game and that it would come out in 4 years and that it'll be dissapointing and then a 6 year drought.

That the game I was so hyped for (Versus XIII) would never be released. We got something else though, and it kinda sucked.

Also mobile gaming and hardware, I guess.

pswii60

That game graphics haven't improved much att all.
You should go and play some of those 2007 games again. There's a massive gulf of a difference. Sure, it's not 1990 > 2000 but it's huge.

Just play Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro in 4K mode, it's mindblowing. Display technologies have improved massively too, with OLED now affordable and becoming mature. My 2007 LCD was utter shite by comparison.

kinberg

Neo Member
Since getting a steam link I would most def say that I would have been blown away in 2007 by the possibility to just stream your powerful gaming pc to your hd tv without any hassle whatsoever.

Granted, I'm using a wired connecting for both my pc and the steam link, but thus far the experience has been nothing short of stellar.

Perhaps my best gaming purchase in years. Very impressed with how far technology has come!

The current state of gaming laptops would blow a lot of people away. No more garbage mobile chips but now we are getting essentially desktop tier GPUs in sub 1inch thick laptops.

The fact that a 1200 dollar laptop is on par with an 800 dollar desktop is honestly kind of insane. In 2007 even the most expensive laptop wouldn't come very close to a even a medicore desktop and would cost you a lot more.

My $1700 gaming laptop actually outpaces my old i7-3770k+970 desktop in many scenarios. Crazy. It has been nothing but a pleasure since I got this machine. And it looks nothing like a typical "gamer laptop" -- no huge, highlight vent exhausts, etc... Just a backlit keyboard with Spider-Man movie font that really sticks out. Otherwise, it fits into a low-profile, thin encasement with a low-key branding crest on the back to subtly note it's a gaming specced machine and that's about it.

Very few drawbacks in my lifestyle. If you don't carry it around a lot I totally get not thinking the premium is worth it, but it's nuts I can haul this computer straight off to work and play Battlefield 1 when things are slow... Then just stuff it in a bag, plug it into an HDMI cable at home with an external keyboard, and basically got a gaming rig that's better than my old desktop. Only drawbacks for my specific laptop I can think of is the sound quality is absolute crap and its GPU capabilities get limited on the native monitor (can't supersample, etc) but all of that unlocks when I go to my external monitor. :) MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro. So good.

Yeah, definitely mindblowing with this Pascal-equipped generation of laptops. If I stay at this job for the long run (which is quite possible), I'm going only laptop form factor going forward in the PC space. Pascal in desktops is arguably even more impressive, it's just being able to travel with this laptop at ease is super great for me.

Some dude cobbles a game together in his mums basement using Java and semi stolen code. It becomes one of the best selling games of all time, ultimately leading to Microsoft buying the IP for 2.5 billion dollars.

Celine

The Nintendo Switch from a handheld perspective.
I remember when I first played a N64 and how amused I was at the idea of a future handheld which could match its graphics ah ah ah.
Just as that soon we could play with a handheld that outperform a PS3.

namabiiru

Telling me in 2007 that From Software would make my favorite game series of all time would make my head explode. Chromehounds... left a lot to be desired.

Bumhead

Banned
Considering the App Store didn't hit iPhones until 2008, todays mobile gaming would be the biggest one in my opinion.

You can play Rollercoaster Tycoon in its entirety on an iPhone, for gods sake.

jjasso21

Halo is no longer king and the rise of Call of Duty. That tablets would get so powerful. Also Pokémon and a Mario game would be available for smartphones.

Durante

I guess I'll get VR out of the way right now.
But that's my answer! Don't get it out of the way! ;)

Seriously, playing something like Raw Data in VR, in Coop, moving around naturally in all directions and interacting with everything by just moving my hands is not something I'd have expected to be possible in that time frame 10 years ago.

bishop.gif
Boomerang_GroupShot.gif

So futuristic.

At least the Vive looks like something from science fiction, so that makes sense :p

noomi

Seeing just how far the Battlefield series came in terms of game-play and graphics. If I saw Battlefield 1 back in 2007, I don't think I could believe it.

Also games like No Mans Sky, Elite Dangerous & Star Citizen. The sheer scope and size of these type of games would have totally blow me away. Landing and taking off from planets and being able to walk around them.

I can't say that the games themselves have blown me away since then. All in all, it still feels very iterative to me and I'm fine with it, as my taste in genres has changed with that, being more focused on storytelling and not interested in gameplay anymore ("Doom? I already played that").

That said, if anything still blows me away, it's physics-based rendering. The lighting has been insane in some games this generation. Assassin's Creed: Unity, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4 and Final Fantasy XV come to mind.

"All of your old console games are going to be worth a ton of money, dont trade them in or give them away."

I figured that anyway since Intelligent Qube could be sold for a lot of money in 07.

We still have no idea when Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out.

Actually I think Nomura talked about KH3 more in 2007 than this past year :d

This is another one that would have blown my mind. After two Kingdom Hearts, I thought we'd get a sequel on the PS3. It was quite surprising that we didn't. Same as The Last Guardian not coming on the PS3 (though we didn't know about that in 2009). I figured Team ICO would release a game on the PS3, but it didn't happen.

Top Bottom