• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 5 non-Mario NES games?

Jme

Vinci said:
I think I'm pretty much onboard with this one, both including 1st party and excluding it.

EDIT: Hurts not to include Duck Tales though.

You've got good taste :lol

I love Duck Tales... but I tend to lump Capcom x Disney games into one series in my mind. And I was sticking to 1 game per series... and IMO Chip and Dale is a better game (probably just nostalgia though)

Duck Tales, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, etc.
They are all great, great games.

spats

didn't own a nes as a kid, so basing these off what I played at friend's

1. Gremlins 2
2. Goonies 2
3. Fester's Quest
4. Bionic Commando
5. BLADES OF STEEEEELLLL

jodosutari

Neo Member
Maybe not the top5 but these got the most playtime back then (not counting games I discovered later).

Mega Man 2-4
. Obviously (like 1 a lot too).
Jackal. Yeah! Already mentioned! Absolutely one of my favourites with a friend.
Ducktales. Classic.
The Goonies. This just hooked me, guess the music's a big part of it.
Snake Rattle n' Roll. Very very fun with two players.

Sure there's no comparing or even possible to narrow down even a fair top 25 but these came to my mind now. NES has so many of my favourite games it's impossible to choose.

Foffy

Banned
- Castlevania: Dracula's Curse (Particularly the Japanese version for the better music and balanced difficulty)
- Mega Man 2
- Kid Icarus
- Blaster Master
- Contra

nes5.jpg

Oh the classics!

Toy Soldier said:
Wizards & Warriors
I agree, it's awesome. The music, while monotonous at times, is great. And i've always liked the duuh item names "dagger of throwing". It's a dagger, you throw.

Vinci

Danish
handofg0d said:
You've got good taste :lol

I love Duck Tales... but I tend to lump Capcom x Disney games into one series in my mind. And I was sticking to 1 game per series... and IMO Chip and Dale is a better game (probably just nostalgia though)

Duck Tales, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, etc.
They are all great, great games.

Given that criteria, yeah, I'd go with Chip 'n' Dale.

BigMack

1) TMNT (yes, the first one :)
2) DuckTales
3) Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
4) Batman
5) Battletoads (thank goodness for Game Genie cause otherwise I would have never seen that freaking awesome snake level!!)

Flakster99

1. Final Fantasy
2. Wizardry
3. Super Dodge Ball
4. Nobunaga's Ambition
5. Double Dragon II

Good god so many memories with these games. Remembering Final Fantasy back in the day and my absolute addiction to the game, leveling my dudes to lvl 50 and crushing the Warmech in a single round with ease.

Obsessing over my group in Wizardry and figuring out how to level at the high end with relative ease - allowing a rare encounter of NPC's to contuniously summon their bretheren as they died for non-stop knock out XP for hours at a time.

Playing against my 2 friends in competitive games of Nobunaga's Ambition. Remembering one friend always choosing Miyoshi as he always had access to the trader and could sell his rice whenever he wanted. That bastard, god love him.

Good times.

Mega Man 2
Tecmo Super Bowl
Bad News Baseball (best baseball game ever!)
Kirby's Adventure

And lastly, Final Fantasy III if Famicom counts... otherwise, Contra.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
zelda
ducktales
punch-out!
adventures of lolo
metroid

this would be my list regardless of mario's inclusion or exclusion.

It varies depending on my mood. I don't know if I can make a definitive top 5 list, but I find myself revisiting the following games most often:

Ninja Gaiden II
Contra
Life Force
Dr. Mario (not sure if this counts as "non-Mario" or not)
Duck Tales

Others that could just as easily make the list:

Metroid
Castlevania 1&3
Ninja Gaiden
Legend of Zelda
TMNT II: The Arcade Game

Not ranked:

Mega Man 3

Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

Shadow of the Ninja

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Double Dragon 2: The Revenge

Honorable mention: Pro Wrestling (WINNER IS YOU)

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever played DuckTales on the NES. Definitely remember Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers though.

1) Legend of Zelda
2) Mega Man 2
3) Duck Tales
4) Batman
5) TMNT II
Honorable mention - Super C

Oddly, out those 5 the only one I actually owned was Batman (I don't think I owned even 10 NES games). I did pick up Zelda but only after the SNES was out. Oh well, lesson learned, growing up poor sucks.

Vizion28

Banned
Wow, so much love for Battletoads on here. I'm surprised! I thought I was the only few people who had a strong fondness for the game. I'm proud to say I beat the game back around 1991 when I was like 10 years old and I remember the ending was not rewarding.

I wish Rare would make a downloadable sequel or remake. Oh wait I don't own a 360. Nevermind :(

Vizion28

Banned
beelzebozo said:
everybody loves ducktales.

remember that, disney, capcom.

I think they love the music of the space level more than the game.

They sure don't make game tunes like that anymore.

Top Bottom