• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 5 non-Mario NES games?

Amory

Is battletoads/double dragon the same game as battletoads, just with 2 extra characters? I always wondered.

It's amazing to think that such a classic game was based on such a stupid license. Unthinkable nowadays.

All I see are the same games over and over....and over from you guys..

1: Adventure Island
2: Jaws
3: Ice Hockey
4: Donkey Kong
5: Bubble Bobble

Amory

red shoe paul said:
All I see are the same games over and over....and over from you guys..

1: Adventure Island
2: Jaws
3: Ice Hockey
4: Donkey Kong
5: Bubble Bobble

Jaws is the first game I can remember that scared the crap out of me. I think it was the music, and my natural fear of the water.

Amory Blaine said:
Is battletoads/double dragon the same game as battletoads, just with 2 extra characters? I always wondered.

It's amazing to think that such a classic game was based on such a stupid license. Unthinkable nowadays.

Noooooo. Battletoads/Double Dragon is a different game and quite frankly pretty shit. Certainly not a patch on Battletoads or Double Dragon (especially 2).

Amory Blaine said:

Nope. Completely different games.

Also, Battletoads wasn't a licensed game. It was an original RARE IP.

JesseZao

Just from what I had access to as a kid, so not counting things I've found since then:

Legend of Zelda
Contra
TMNT 3
Ninja Gaiden
Captain Skyhawk

Amory

Poimandres said:
Noooooo. Battletoads/Double Dragon is a different game and quite frankly pretty shit. Certainly not a patch on Battletoads or Double Dragon (especially 2).

SonicMegaDrive said:
Nope. Completely different games.

Also, Battletoads wasn't a licensed game. It was an original RARE IP.

Huh. You learn somethin' every day. I'll have to get the original.

The fact that "Battletoads", featuring characters named "Zitz" "Rash" and "Pimple", was an original IP is pretty awesome.

In alphabetical order:

Baseball Stars
Bionic Commando
Castlevania II - Simon's Quest
Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse
Street Fighter 2010

Oh so close:

Batman (Sunsoft, 1990)
Faxanadu
Mega Man 2/3
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Gaiden
Zelda II

Vizion28

Banned
I'm sorry but Jaws was a horrible game. And so was just about every other NES game based on a movie (Karate Kid, Rambo, Top Gun, Back to the Future, Friday the 13th, Bill and Ted etc.)

Goonies 2 and Gremlins were the very rare exceptions.

1) Legend of Zelda
2) DuckTales
3) Punch Out
4) Metroid (now, back then I found it too 'difficult' though lol)
5) Legend of Zelda II

Probably some other ones I'm forgetting, things like Excitebike and Double Dragon II are also personal favourites and just missed out. ;(

Conrad Link said:
4) Metroid (now, back then I found it too 'difficult' though lol)

I'm like the exact opposite. :lol Loved it as a kid, found it way too tough the last time I tried playing it recently.

I guess I just had more patience as a kid.

For ages I wished they would remake Metroid 2 but really it was 1 that needed the remake more (although I'd gladly take any remake if you're offering Nintendo! lol). Thankfully Zero Mission came along and was zomg frrrreakin' awesome.

I think Metroid 2 'holds up' today better than 1 which is still pretty brutal/rough/ancient. I guess it depends on how much time you spent with it back then.

What I find interesting is playing Zelda 1 again today, I STILL remember where to bomb every hole or what bush I can burn exactly to the square etc. That stuff is just forever edged into my mind.

Its wonderful really, just reminds me how much in love with the series I really am. Little me might have grown up but thankfully I retained my Zelda powers! :lol

Vizion28

Banned
If Zelda II is in your top 5 then you never played Battle of Olympus which was superior.

Yes, Nintendo actually was topped by a 3rd party.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I am completely and utterly dumbfounded at the Simon's Quest love in this thread. When did opinion on that game turn around so much?

Castlevania III
Kirby's Adventure
Gargoyle's Quest II
Contra
Life Force

Oh Konami, what happened to you?

Amory

Not surprised at all to see Punch Out on so many people's list, but god, that was an amazing game. I actually thought Super Macho Man was the hardest to beat, as I couldn't beat him as a little kid and it took me awhile when I revisited the game recently. Tyson wasn't exactly easy, but I beat him after a lot less tries.

I remember when I was like 7 i always had to ask my uncle to help me beat bald bull, because I couldn't get the timing down to beat his bull charge :)

Ahh, memories.

Joei

Metroid
Legend of Zelda
Baseball Simulater 1.000
Duck Tales
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!

I think I can pretty much play those games any time, any where, any state of mind.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention Guardian Legend... shit, which game would I take out?? I'm not sure I could :()

And Dragon Warrior.... uh... shit.....

umm... Double Dragon is a favorite of mine as well.... those top five are the first to pop in my head, but aside from Metroid and Zelda, I don't know if I can solidly state the others

Vizion28 said:
If Zelda II is in your top 5 then you never played Battle of Olympus which was superior.

Yes, Nintendo actually was topped by a 3rd party.

Nah. Zelda II had better balance and play control IMO, in spite of BoO's cooler mythos.

Besides, there are IMO lesser games that seem to be appearing in this thread with greater frequency.

Man, tough list to come up with...no order, but probably not really my top five...as if I could even hope to try to make a list that small...

Castlevania III
River City Ransom
Zanac
Magic of Scheherazade
Cobra Triangle

Amory

Lots of games I've never heard of! But Duck tales was one that I have, and I apparently have to own it.

Here's ten, no particular order except the first 3 are my favorites:
The Legend of Zelda
Ninja Gaiden
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Excitebike
Contra
Castlevania
The Flintstones
RC Pro Am
TMNT 2 The Arcade Game
Ice Hockey

JodyAnthony said:
5 - Felix the Cat

i have a copy of that. never played it cause i don't own a NES. its still in the crappy gamestop stapled plastic it came in

i remember when i bought it some years back there was one of those 'mid-age crisis' gamer types talking to the clerk at the check-out counter about some x-box shooter or another, talking really loud and getting into it, and he had absolutely no idea what it was, and the clerk had to tell him it was a NES game

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Legend of Zelda
Crystalis
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Double Dragon 2: The Revenge

List is in no particular order and according to my kid-self. :p

Mario is in Punch Out!!. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I'd have to think a lot for this one, but here are some titles that took up a huge amount of my time. They may not have been good at all, but for most of that era I didn't read the magazines, so I didn't have a means of figuring out what the cream of the crop was (random purchase algorithm to determine game quality, woohoo!).

In the order that they popped up in my memory, and not limited to five because I'm too tired to count right now:

Pro Wrestling
Goonies II (and not because the game rewards you with a topless girl at the end)
Baseball Simulator 1.000
The Legend of Zelda
Castlevania
Double Dragon
Ikari Warriors
The Karate Kid

Amused nods go to
Back to the Future (not very good in retrospect, but at least it had a DDR mini-game)
Friday the 13th (we loved it because it looked like Jason wielded a giant toothbrush)

Many of the really good games, like DuckTales, I did not get a chance to play until much, much later on. I still haven't played that Genesis Mickey Mouse titles that people gush abou. I'll get around to that, surely.

It's very difficult to narrow my choices down to just 5, but here they are in no particular order:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Ninja Gaiden II: Sword of Chaos

Mega Man 2

Dragon Warrior III

Blaster Master

Flakster99

Shig said:
I am completely and utterly dumbfounded at the Simon's Quest love in this thread. When did opinion on that game turn around so much?

Castlevania III
Kirby's Adventure
Gargoyle's Quest II
Contra
Life Force

Oh Konami, what happened to you?

Thought I did not list any Konami games in my top 5, absolutely agreed. Let us add Sega (for different reasons, sorry!) to that giant /sigh in the sky.

Top Bottom