• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

The Concern for Sony and only the holidays is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen..... I wonder why some posters are so hung up on Nov/Dec and the US.....

When someone buys a console in Nov does bloodborne, Infamous etc... not exist?? People won't look at anything that doesn't release in the fall or something?

Why is it OK for MS to have very little for 10 months? Fall is dominated by big third parties, imo it is better what sony is doing, releasing there first party games througout the year letting them breathe, let third parties have the holidays.

How do we know sony does not have something? e3 is coming.

As for the OP? Sony has a PS4 for the holidays and it will easily outsell the competition. I don;t get this narrative at all.

A ps4 price cut would do more damage then anything. MS can only go so low and ps4 won't be 399 forever, that is not a long term solution for MS nor is it a winning one. Too many people assuming ms will just win US Nov/Dec because it happened once when sony did nothing. Don't think it will be the same this year,.

nib95

Banned
It's the same deal every year. People think a console has a weak lineup for the year, then E3 happens and everyone goes bananas.

I don't think it's a question of the PS4 having a weak line up for the year, rather what their line up for Fall is. Sony has had a solid year so far, with lots still coming even before Fall. Overall the rate of releases spread throughout the year, eclipses the other consoles. The question is whether they can keep up to this rate of releases all the way to the end of the year.

I don't think it's a question of the PS4 having a weak line up for the year, rather what their line up for Fall is. Sony has had a solid year so far, with lots still coming even before Fall. Overall the rate of releases spread throughout the year, eclipses the other consoles. The question is whether they can keep up to this rate of releases all the way to the end of the year.

The question is why does it matter when a game releases? Does bloodborne disappear when someone buys a console in Nov? People are grossly over estimating what exclusives do. The reason x1 outsold ps4 last holiday was price and huge bundles......

nib95

Banned
The question is why does it matter when a game releases? Does bloodborne disappear when someone buys a console in Nov? People are grossly over estimating what exclusives do. The reason x1 outsold ps4 last holiday was price and huge bundles......

Oh no I agree. As a PS4 owner, I don't really care what they have for Fall right now, so long as they have something, but it's far too early to start second guessing at this stage of the year, especially pre-E3. More important to me are the games releasing over the next several months, not what's coming in Fall (which is over half a year away). I already have a huge backlog as it is, so it's not like I'm starving for games either way.

mejin

And that's what they going to do this Fal...again...they have money to burn.

$250 bundles w/Halo + 1 year Gold + credits and more. Sony will not do the same, they can't and well, they don't need. Even if they lose to Microsoft on the last quarter it's not like PS4 will stop to sell.

$250 bundles w/Halo + 1 year Gold + credits and more. Sony will not do the same, they can't and well, they don't need. Even if they lose to Microsoft on the last quarter it's not like PS4 will stop to sell.

I don't think the xbox division has money to burn...business does not work like that, if thats were the case why launch at 499? Why not drop the price lower or keep doing crazy deals all year? Why not buy all kinds of exclusives? MS funds does not equal Xbox funds.

No way x1 hits 249 this year.

Sony will drop the price this year....no way ps4 does into year 3 at 3499, sony has the price cuts planned well in advance, and ps4 was made with cuts in mind. Will be like ps2, will get a drop this year.

I think people assuming this fall will play out like last year are in for a surrprise.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think the xbox division has money to burn...business does not work like that, if thats were the case why launch at 499? Why not drop the price lower or keep doing crazy deals all year? Why not buy all kinds of exclusives? MS funds does not equal Xbox funds.

Sony will drop the price this year....no way ps4 does into year 3 at 3499, sony has the price cuts planned well in advance, and ps4 was made with cuts in mind. Will be like ps2, will get a drop this year.

I think people assuming this fall will play out like last year are in for a surrprise.

So what do you think they are going to do price wise? After seeing what gains MS made by cutting and bundling. And seeing how well GTA V bundle sold for black Friday. Also I feel bad for LBP3 it didn't get a chance to breathe and suffered. Might be why they are currently doing region first party bundles. And national third party.

I see price drop 349 and 299. 349 SKU has 1tb drive and high profile game. Second SKU is 500gb with last of us , GOW 3 REMASTER, or Uncharted bundle?

Just my 2 cents.

E3 and PSX are going to be interesting. In my opinion its MS who has to prove themselves not Sony.

Serenity

Its crazy after 4 generations of PS and huge sales people still don't get its because of all the "niche" games that it is able to sell so well across the globe. It's great the MS has Halo , great game and I loved the first two but as good as it sells in the end it's only going to sell to at best 20% of the user base. Even the biggest games only sell to 30-35% of the userbase. GTA5 is huge but a majority of Ps3/4 and X360/1 owners don't own it. All the people who want persona or dq:h or tomorrow children add up. Sony knows this and has been selling lots of consoles since 1994. Why certain fans still haven't figured it out idk. Dismiss games like NMS all you like but it will sell consoles not as much as halo but it doesn't have to.

Its crazy after 4 generations of PS and huge sales people still don't get its because of all the "niche" games that it is able to sell so well across the globe. It's great the MS has Halo , great game and I loved the first two but as good as it sells in the end it's only going to sell to at best 20% of the user base. Even the biggest games only sell to 30-35% of the userbase. GTA5 is huge but a majority of Ps3/4 and X360/1 owners don't own it. All the people who want persona or dq:h or tomorrow children add up. Sony knows this and has been selling lots of consoles since 1994. Why certain fans still haven't figured it out idk. Dismiss games like NMS all you like but it will sell consoles not as much as halo but it doesn't have to.

Yeah people keep underestimating playstation, makes no sense considering how dominant they have been since 1995. Some people have a very narrow view of things.

Servbot24

Banned
Nobody outside the enthusiast crowd even knows they are related.

I post on GAF everyday and have no idea what was wrong with BF4. I always just assume people were whining about frames or servers or something boring.

But that said, the people who bought BF4 and actually played it are the people who are likely going to be interested in BF5.

Apathy

Haha, the Xbox division does not have money to burn. If they did don't you think they would be throwing money to get as many exclusive high name things and marketing deals as possible? Even with a disparity of ownership, if they had money to burn they would be doubling whatever offer Sony was giving publishers for marketing deals.

Microsoft might have a ton of cash, but they are not going to give it all to one department. If that were the case the phone division or the tablet market would be huge. The xbox division does not bring in money and has historically been a a money sink (have not kept up recently so can't say if the trend continues). Phil and co have a limited budget they need to stick to like any other department in a company has to.Last years huge price drop + games was a gamble, and it might have payed off in the US for 2 months but since (even with an official price drop) has not been effective. No idea if they want to gamble again, specially with Halo 5 coming, a game that should move consoles for those people who are interested (and didn't already buy one for MCC). No point in cutting the price to the bone if they can maximize profits with a little higher price and knowing they won't loose out on many sales.

Guymelef

Maybe Activision isn't happy with MS decision last year, I mean, iirc AC Unity sold worse than AC4, but pretty sure Ubisoft is really happy with all the money thanks to the hundred of thousands XBO AC bundle sold.
COD sold worse than the previous entry and a limited edition bundle with Kinect at a high price didn't help.

Maybe Activision isn't happy with MS decision last year, I mean, iirc AC Unity sold worse than AC4, but pretty sure Ubisoft is really happy with all the money thanks to the hundred of thousands XBO AC bundle sold.
COD sold worse than the previous entry and a limited edition bundle with Kinect at a high price didn't help.

The COD bundle did not include Kinect, it was also more expensive because it was a custom console and had a 1tb hard drive, so it wasn't just more expensive because it was, there was more in it.

pr0cs

Also I feel bad for LBP3 it didn't get a chance to breathe and suffered. .
Lbp3 deserved to suffer. It was shitty game that did a lot of harm to the franchise, laden with game breaking bugs and half baked ideas. If this is Sony's idea of year end software they need to have their head examined

Whilst I don't believe (though it's not impossible) that MS have let go of CoD, I can see why both Activision and MS may want to come to an end of that deal.

First, MS may no longer want to pay what Activision are asking (especially now that PS4 is so far ahead and the price to keep the marketing on Xbox could have risen). Or they feel the CoD branding is strong with Xbox that there's no need to continue it at this point and spend the dollars on other properties.

Second, Activision, with falling sales of the brand, might want to change it up and freshen the branding/marketing by going with someone else and with PS4 being the clear winner WW, then it could be the shot in the arm the franchise needs to be associated with and try and win back lost sales.

I'm not sure losing CoD will be a massive loss for MS at this point, although Sony gaining it sure can't hurt the franchise and be possibly win-win for both Activision and Sony.

Kyoufu

The COD bundle did not include Kinect, it was also more expensive because it was a custom console and had a 1tb hard drive, so it wasn't just more expensive because it was, there was more in it.

So, why didn't MS bundle CoD with the console for a good price, like AC Unity? Surely they'd be looking to get the 360 CoD crowd to migrate to Xbone?

So, why didn't MS bundle CoD with the console for a good price, like AC Unity? Surely they'd be looking to get the 360 CoD crowd to migrate to Xbone?

Presumably that was what Activision wanted? I can't imagine Microsoft (or Sony) wear the trousers in that relationship, I'm sure MS would have probably loved a COD bundle at $349 with the games packed in, but the more expensive one would give Activision more money I guess and a special console entices fans to upgrade? Supposedly they shipped a lot of them too

Swass

Last year the base Xbox One was on sale at Kohl's for $270 on black Friday, so I don't think $249 with a game is going to be completely unheard of, however I do think these sales are going to be far more limited than they were last year.

I beleive this year Microsoft is going to let Halo 5 do the heavy lifting rather than huge fire sales which gain quick sales, but ultimately devalue the product. We saw just how much the product value was hurt last year when Microsoft tried to go back to the $399 price point in January and probably didn't move a unit at that price and were forced to lower the base price to $350.

W.S.

E3 and PSX are going to be interesting. In my opinion its MS who has to prove themselves not Sony.

I agree, at least at this point.

Sony's had more venues to show off their stuff with TGS, E3, Gamescom and now PSX. Microsoft mainly does E3 and more recently Gamescom (GDC had some MS stuff as well) but they've actually been unusually quiet this year. Perhaps it has to do with the ntkernel leak but Sony's had a lot of forward momentum in comparison.

Hugstable

Banned
Lbp3 deserved to suffer. It was shitty game that did a lot of harm to the franchise, laden with game breaking bugs and half baked ideas. If this is Sony's idea of year end software they need to have their head examined

I still wonder how the game even got released in the state it was with those bugs, I mean it wasn't like it was rare or noticable, it was literally corrupting saves, freezing at loading screens, etc. It was kinda depressing. Honestly I feel that Media Molecule should be the ones to touch that series only at this point, but I would rather them work on a new IP again after Tearaway Unfolded (or hell another Tearaway game, Tearaway is a masterpiece and shits all over anything LBP ever was)

Oh no I agree. As a PS4 owner, I don't really care what they have for Fall right now, so long as they have something, but it's far too early to start second guessing at this stage of the year, especially pre-E3. More important to me are the games releasing over the next several months, not what's coming in Fall (which is over half a year away). I already have a huge backlog as it is, so it's not like I'm starving for games either way.

Yup, we still got some many games, big and indie, coming out in the next few months leading to E3 that I'm hardly worrying about E3 or what is gonna release in the fall. I'm sure they will have something, whether it's a huge game or not, but it's not like there isn't alot to already play on the system anyway. My backlog is ridiculous thanks to all those sales. What started out as an exclusive machine changed so much in the last 6 months for me. Stop releasing games! I only got 800gb left from my 2TB HDD (jk don't stop releasing games lol)

They both have alot of unknowns for the end of the year, they both need to prove themselves.

It was just not a good idea to release among the deluge of 3rd party titles. Had Sony released LBP3 this year, not only would it do better sales-wise, but it would've also give more time to polish the game.

Servbot24

Banned

This is what happens when the fan base obsesses over games releasing during the holidays.

The lesser sales for Unity had nothing to do with MS marketing...it's because the game was a broken mess at launch.

delSai

Still hurts. Biggest disappointment last year :(

Zukkoyaki

Hyperbole, it was no where near as bad as the slander campaign on here makes it out to be.
At least BF4's hate is more justified than most of this forum's panned games. Some would have you believe that Uncharted 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Dark Souls II are among the worst games ever made.

At least BF4's hate is more justified than most of this forum's panned games. Some would have you believe that Uncharted 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Dark Souls II are among the worst games ever made.

Haha true. I did not like infinite that much compared to its critical reception but it was still a fine game.

So they will be selling their console for less than 150$ lol? The craziest I can see MS going is 300$ with Halo (or Tomb Raider) and that's about it. Even that is an amazing deal.

blakep267

So they will be selling their console for less than 150$ lol? The craziest I can see MS going is 300$ with Halo (or Tomb Raider) and that's about it. Even that is an amazing deal.
Yeah officially I think we'll see $300 bundles. But also I think that during Black Friday you'll start seeing unofficial stuff from wal Mart best buy etc like buy an Xbox one and get a $50 gift card and/or an extra game etc

Also I only see Sony going to $349

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah officially I think we'll see $300 bundles. But also I think that during Black Friday you'll start seeing unofficial stuff from wal Mart best buy etc like buy an Xbox one and get a $50 gift card and/or an extra game etc

Yeah, I agree there, it's still going to be the more expensive console this holiday

Last year the base Xbox One was on sale at Kohl's for $270 on black Friday, so I don't think $249 with a game is going to be completely unheard of, however I do think these sales are going to be far more limited than they were last year.

I beleive this year Microsoft is going to let Halo 5 do the heavy lifting rather than huge fire sales which gain quick sales, but ultimately devalue the product. We saw just how much the product value was hurt last year when Microsoft tried to go back to the $399 price point in January and probably didn't move a unit at that price and were forced to lower the base price to $350.

I can see a retailer getting a $250 Black Friday deal in super-limited quantities - but it'd be the base console, no pack-in.

My guess for each of the players will be
XBox ONE with MCC or Gears Collection and a year of Gold for $350
PS4 with Battlefront for $350
WiiU with Mario Kart or Smash Bros GOTY edition for $300.

I say headlock price 299.
Just for laughs.

Why is there speculation that Sony is taking Cod marketing? There's no way MS let's that go

I can see a retailer getting a $250 Black Friday deal in super-limited quantities - but it'd be the base console, no pack-in.

The X1 can't be the same price as the PS4, pack ins or not. It has to be significantly cheaper or else it'll get easily steamrolled. If the PS4 is $349, MS needs to hit $279 plus free games. A $70+ difference just like last BF.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I have been meaning to ask, why do people compare the 349$ pricing to a fire sale? Is there an inside joke behind the hyperbole?

Im going to laugh if the PS4/Xbox One are the same price as the Wii U. That would be the ultimate insult for Nintendo.

Still hurts. Biggest disappointment last year :(

Yep, pretty much. I put a countless amount of hours into LBP and LBP2, most of which were spent playing random community levels with strangers and having a blast in the process. I put in no more than 8 hours into LBP3, probably half of which was spent beating the bosses of its pathetically short campaign mode over and over again until the game randomly decided that I was allowed to progress to the next world. And then there was the broken netcode that disallowed me from entering a single online co-op session. Not one. Couldn't join a game, couldn't invite anyone. That was a favourite series of mine, and now it's been tainted big time.

Sony should never rush a game out like that again. Ever. They didn't even need to considering that support for the console was packed during the last holiday season.

le.phat

PS4 getting CoD is a big blow, but IMO I don't think it will have THAT big an impact, not when people have associated Xbox and CoD for the last seven years.

Sony getting Battlefront is big though. I fully expect a Destiny situation in regards to sales (counting bundles, of course).

You bet its big. The trailer is on the web for two days and it already has over 9 million views. Totally insane.

The X1 can't be the same price as the PS4, pack ins or not. It has to be significantly cheaper or else it'll get easily steamrolled. If the PS4 is $349, MS needs to hit $279 plus free games. A $70+ difference just like last BF.
Hey, I have a great idea.. They could bundle kinect!
Halo will do some magic. They will make a marketing avalanche. Problem comes when Halo is through. Then they cannot have the same price.

Lucreto

Battlefront is big get for Sony. COD would be a huge surprise, but don't Microsoft have a deal still in place for month exclusive DLC?

For me if Sony got Mass Effect marketing that would be a huge win.

reKon

Banned
After seeing all the Battlefront info over the past few days, that seems like it's going to be the big one for them, just like Destiny was. I expect history to repeat itself with the steady flow of exclusives. Sony is probably in much better shape compared to last gen, so really these holidays probably don't matter at all. Remember when the PS3 had "no games" until June 2008 when MGS 4 was released? Well by 2009, that's when the exclusives kept coming and coming. Support has been pretty good for the PS3 as well over its life time. I even got the Mass Effect Trilogy, which was the literally the only series that was a must buy for me other than Gears of War on the Xbox 360 (and the last GeoW games ended up disappointing).

With all this Indie support, it exciting that we could see a diverse mix of games in the future that combines game ideas mechanics/ideas that have a ton of potential (Starhawk = TPS + RTS, Modnation Racer's = multiplayer racing w/ ranking system + story mode + custom track/character creation)

The difference this gen is that Sony actually started off more prepared and actually on time. Once that two year mark hits, we'll already know a lot more about the big exclusives from the difference studios and there will be less complaints about this gen being all remastered games.

ZarKryn7

You know l what, I really don't give a crap if Sony has nothing for the holidays. They can take their fine time on their games. I don't want another bug infestation on lbp3 or server issue on drive club. I swear, if ratchet and clank is released for the holidays and turns out it is was broken, I'm gonna lose my sh**.

reKon

Banned
You know l what, I really don't give a crap if Sony has nothing for the holidays. They can take their fine time on their games. I don't want another bug infestation on lbp3 or server issue on drive club. I swear, if ratchet and clank is released for the holidays and turns out it is was broken, I'm gonna lose my sh**.

I'm sure it will be fine. It's insomniac we're talking about here.

Top Bottom