• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

W.S.

The X1 can't be the same price as the PS4, pack ins or not. It has to be significantly cheaper or else it'll get easily steamrolled. If the PS4 is $349, MS needs to hit $279 plus free games. A $70+ difference just like last BF.

I would be surprised if it was that discounted, $299 seems a bit more reasonable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't think of a big hitter they could have ready for the Holiday season.
An Uncharted trilogy is likely the only major franchise they could feasibly get out by then. I do expect a couple games from some of their smaller teams like Bend or SCEJ though.

After seeing all the Battlefront info over the past few days, that seems like it's going to be the big one for them, just like Destiny was. I expect history to repeat itself with the steady flow of exclusives. Sony probably in much better shape compared to last gen, so really these holidays probably don't matter at all. Remember when the PS3 had "no games" until June 2008 when MGS 4 was released. Well by 2009, that's when the exclusives kept coming and coming. Support has been pretty good for the PS3 as well over its life time. I even got the Mass Effect Trilogy, which was the literally the only series that was a must buy other than Gears of War on the Xbox 360 (and the last GeoW games ended up disappointing

With all this Indie support, it exciting that we could see a diverse mix of games in the future that combines game ideas mechanics/ideas that have a ton of potential (Starhawk = TPS + RTS, Modnation Racer's = multiplayer racing w/ ranking system + story mode + custom track/character creation)

The difference this gen is that Sony actually started off more prepared and actually on time. Once that two year mark hits, we'll already know a lot more about the big exclusives from the difference studios and there will be less complaints about this gen being all remastered games.

people like to support the bullshit narrative that is "lol no games" all while trying to narrow down the things they want to call "games". ps4 had a lot of smaller games, downloadables, etc. in addition to big aaa games. apparently, those smaller games aren't games at all.

what if rime comes out, or rapture? those aren't games, as categorized by some people here. it's not a game unless it is aaa, or unless it's big.

"but we want to talk about big games. sony has no big games."

well, if you're inclined to be narrow-minded and want your bullshit to fit your narrative, fine. ps4 had a lot of games last year, and continue to have games today and into the rest of the year. it's the same bullshit as saying, "xbone doesn't have games* " where in the fine print it's *indie games or games cheaper than $19.99.

The X1 can't be the same price as the PS4, pack ins or not. It has to be significantly cheaper or else it'll get easily steamrolled. If the PS4 is $349, MS needs to hit $279 plus free games. A $70+ difference just like last BF.

Then god forbid if Sony cuts the price of the PS4 to $299. Would Microsoft be willing to take a $120 hit per XBO if that happens?

Me neither. The fact we have people trying to downplay that is concerning.

Who cares? Anyone buying a PS4 is buying one because they don't have one already meaning they already have 2 years worth of a backlog to catch up on. Sony does not need ANY exclusives this holiday and they will still sell PS4s like hotcakes.

The only game which could realistically release for PS4 this year and get announced for E3 would be GT7: Prologue. I know Kaz said he wanted to go straight to GT7 but GT6 seems to have done really poorly by GT standards so Sony want to get something out on the new PS4 to show the franchise is still one of the big boys. GT6 on PS3 was a huge mistake, no doubt in my mind it would still be selling were the game on the PS4 but that did not happen. It's a very well known franchise, Sony would not need to advertise the game a huge amount unlike a new IP.

It's more my want which has convinced me it will happen :p

Hugstable

Banned
people like to support the bullshit narrative that is "lol no games" all while trying to narrow down the things they want to call "games". ps4 had a lot of smaller games, downloadables, etc. in addition to big aaa games. apparently, those smaller games aren't games at all.

what if rime comes out, or rapture? those aren't games, as categorized by some people here. it's not a game unless it is aaa, or unless it's big.

"but we want to talk about big games. sony has no big games."

well, if you're inclined to be narrow-minded and want your bullshit to fit your narrative, fine. ps4 had a lot of games last year, and continue to have games today and into the rest of the year. it's the same bullshit as saying, "xbone doesn't have games* " where in the fine print it's *indie games or games cheaper than $19.99.

Have you ever posted normally? Almost every post I've seen you post in you are basically condescending and bulling this victim thing and creating strawmen out of like 1 or 2 posts total, even if it is a legit question. I mean I've never seen you actually post normally like "hey I'm enjoying a game so and so". I mean just looking even at the first page of your post history is very telling, especially with the wide range of topics it covers.

Sony has an unknown for the holiday right now, people want to know. Doesn't mean there won't be anything, but everything to you needs to be a narrative.

I can't think of a big hitter they could have ready for the Holiday season.

E3 is still coming up, and there may not be a super big game, but there are a few games we still don't have releases too that many are anticipating.

Bgamer90

Banned

Why $279? Strange price. $299 would be enough in terms of attracting people in that situation in my opinion ($3__ vs. $2__).

Im going to laugh if the PS4/Xbox One are the same price as the Wii U. That would be the ultimate insult for Nintendo.

yeah but it seems as if ninty is way more focused on 3ds than the wii u.

i also can't feel bad about a company that once had $10 billion in cash reserves. they could afford to be last place in the next 10-15 years on consoles and their operating losses wouldn't put them on the red.

Have you ever posted normally? Almost every post I've seen you post in you are basically condescending and bulling this victim thing and creating strawmen out of like 1 or 2 posts total, even if it is a legit question. I mean I've never seen you actually post normally like "hey I'm enjoying a game so and so". I mean just looking even at the first page of your post history is very telling, especially with the wide range of topics it covers.

Sony has an unknown for the holiday right now, people want to know. Doesn't mean there won't be anything, but everything to you needs to be a narrative.

so you just checked the first few posts of my post history and generalized it. oooookay.

yes, i post normally. that is, if you bothered to actually check the first page of my post history which you clearly didn't.

I could see Sony pull the The Last Guardian button and ship that this holiday.

Its the only thing they have cooking that I could see them releasing on a very short notice (announce at E3, out in October / November). It has been a PS4 game for 3 years at this stage. It should be getting there if it hasnt been rebooted again. Not a big hitter but a decent hearts and minds game to go along side the Battlefront bundles.

But betting on TLG is not something I would ever put money on. Just something that would be possible I guess.

It doesn't matter because PS4 will sell the most over the holidays(and every other time period) worldwide regardless of what they or Microsoft have. I was disappointed in the Uncharted 4 delay as it is my most anticipated game, but as far as the business side is concerned it won't matter much.

Sony will release a good amount of games this year. Just because the announced releases are not coming out in October or November doesn't make them any less relevant.

The only big game i can see Sony might have this year is GT7 since it don't need a long media cycle .
I wondering what they are going to do about next year , they have so many games they going to need to space out .
Still they have the biggest card to play call a price cut .

autoduelist

The thing is, though, the PS4 doesn't necessarily need to win the holiday season. It just needs to not get outsold by ~600K again.

I don't know that even that matters, as long as they continue selling worldwide, which they will. It's not like PS4s are getting dusty on shelves.

Holiday list warz is the dumbest thing i have ever seen on this forum in a very long time.

Especially since the main participants already have bought a console and none of the exclusives being debated will ever sway them to the 'other side' anyway (because if it's an exclusive for the other side, it doesn't count for some reason).

The only big game i can see Sony might have this year is GT7 since it don't need a long media cycle .
I wondering what they are going to do about next year they have so many games they going to need to space out .

Not sure. Sony has a lot of first party studios thst have not produced anything this generation. Either next year will be stacked like you said, a couple of them will surprise and release games this Fall... or worst case scenario these studios are being very poorly managed.

Boke1879

What's so concerning? Why aren't we concerned about the competition having anything out for the first 10 months in the year.

I see nothing but a steady stream of PS4 games. Some 3 party, Some first party, some big, some small all the way up until the holiday season.

Hugstable

Banned
Id bet on an Uncharted collection.

I'd bet on it too. Would be awesome, really like UC1 and UC2, both of which I haven't played in quite some time now.

Delay some into 2017 of course!

Pls nooooo. I need my racing fix. I'm hoping we get an announcement or something this year at the least with a release next year. A Huggy can dream! I'm a bad person, I sold my PS3 on impulse after P5 got announced for PS4, and forgot everything I still actually played on there, including GT5-6. I still play GT4 all the time hahahaha

SONY DON"T DELAY

I'd have to rate holiday list wars for the holiday and sales competition in one region for same time period as one of the more bizarre things i've seen on forums or gaming media for that matter.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Id bet on an Uncharted collection.

I'm really confused as to why it is being propositioned as a big holiday game. It's a port of a recently played game, that most of the user base has already played. Ratchet & Clank PS4 is definitely a huge first-party franchise that is going to do well in the November slot. All SCE needs is a couple of surprise quality games alongside it, which I am sure they have in development by SCE or external first-party studio.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm really confused as to why it is being propositioned as a big holiday game. It's a port of a recently played game, that most of the user base has already played. Ratchet & Clank PS4 is definitely a huge first-party franchise that is going to do well in the November slot. All SCE needs is a couple of surprise quality games alongside it, which I am sure they have in development by SCE or external first-party studio.

It's not being propped as the main holiday game, just something people would probably really enjoy to play. Do you really think they are gonna make a remaster their big game for the year and release nothing else?

Not every owner of ps4 has played uncharted,

I don't know that even that matters, as long as they continue selling worldwide, which they will. It's not like PS4s are getting dusty on shelves.

I was referring to the US, but good point. kyser73 also posted this comment earlier in the thread and made some good points. Overall, I don't think Sony has much to worry about the holiday season in the US.

It's not being propped as the main holiday game, just something people would probably really enjoy to play. Do you really think they are gonna make a remaster their big game for the year and release nothing else?

R&C isn't a remaster. It's a remake/re-imagining. That would be like calling REmake a remaster.

I do agree that it won't be pushed as a big holiday game though.

Hugstable

Banned
R&C isn't a remaster. It's a remake/re-imagining. I do agree that it won't be pushed as a big holiday game though.

I was referring to Uncharted Trilogy lol

EDIT: ahhh I see where the confusion came from. He originally bolded R&C so it looked like I bolded it in my quote and was referring to that. I was going off his first sentence which was about UC Trilogy. I need to get better with my quoting >_>

shu already said half of the ps4 owners never owned a ps3.

don't know how much pull ratchet+clank is today, though. sadly. i think it is mostly franchise fatigue. i would like it if a new developer does ratchet+clank and add a lot of things to it. it has gotten formulaic (which is funny considering most games are similar and a new coat of paint is all that you need. it's all about perception, really).

i would buy ico+sotc on ps4, though.

there are a lot of ps3 games that could be given a 2nd chance through remasters.

if sega does valkyria chronicles, then do a port a la type-0 for both vc2 and 3, that'd be really nice.

red720

I don't think a co-marketing agreement for an existing anualised multiplayer centric series like Call of Duty has as the same potential as one for a new (for all practical purposes) game like Destiny or Battlefront.

Nobody will be fooled that COD is a Playstation exclusive, and there will be a lot of inertia against people changing the platform they play with their friends on. I believe COD still sells the most on last gen systems, so there obviously still some potential to influence the platform those customers upgrade to though.

I don't think a co-marketing agreement for an existing anualised multiplayer centric series like Call of Duty has as the same potential as one for a new (for all practical purposes) game like Destiny or Battlefront.

Nobody will be fooled that COD is a Playstation exclusive, and there will be a lot of inertia against people changing the platform they play with their friends on. I believe COD still sells the most on last gen systems, so there obviously still some potential to influence the platform those customers upgrade to though.

The appeal of the CoD deal would likely be more about month early exclusive DLC rather than people thinking that the franchise is exclusive to Playstation.

prwxv3

Focusing on just the holidays is a shitty strategy and should not be promoted. Sometimes I feel that some people want Sony to delay games for the holidays.

reKon

Banned
I'm ready for the increased competition going forward. Microsoft should plan on pumping some exclusives from a variety of genres to keep Sony on its toes. Nintendo is in its own lane.. but it would have been amazing if the Wii U could have also had some of the big third party games.

SDCowboy

PS4 getting CoD is a big blow, but IMO I don't think it will have THAT big an impact, not when people have associated Xbox and CoD for the last seven years.

Sony getting Battlefront is big though. I fully expect a Destiny situation in regards to sales (counting bundles, of course).

Wait, wait, wait...what? 0_0

Wait, wait, wait...Sony has CoD now? 0_0

Its a rumor going around.

Only way i could see this happening is because Activision wants to make a big push into the Asian market to make up for the declining sales in the West, and the fact that PS4 is outselling XB1 by 2:1 WW.

prwxv3

Just a rumor, honestly I don't think this will affect much of true.

I think it might. Halo 5 will have to compete against Battlefront and Call of Duty this year. And after the multiplayer decline of Halo 4 and the MMC launch they have a uphill battle. It will still sell very well though.

Top Bottom